Does everyone really tip housekeeping?

Does everyone really tip housekeeping?

• Yes, I always tip housekeeping.

• I only tip housekeeping at WDW - because it's special.

• I never or almost never tip housekeeping.

• Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't tip housekeeping.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I always tip, no matter where we stay. I do have an uncle who stays in hotels a lot for business and was shocked when I said we leave tips for the housekeepers.

Tell me something, if you eat in a restaurant, don't you expect the food to be brought to you? assuming you are paying the price listed for the food?
But I assume you tip the waitress/waiter.
If you take a cab the cabie is paid a salary, and you pay a specific fee for the ride, what it says on the meter, but I assume you tip him right?

The guys that handle your bags DO get a salary, they don't work ONLY for tips, but I assume you tip them?

I have a son who is a cook at a Pizza house but he also sometimes delivers pizza. He gets tips for that but his base pay is $12 an hour.

So why shouldn't someone who cleans your toilet, and sink and tub, vacuums your room, makes your bed and brings you towels deserve a dollar or two a day in tips?

So why would you assume that Maids are just part of the cost of the room and do not deserve to be tipped?

I have been a chambermaid at various points in my life and always was paid Min. wage or below, so tips were vital just to survive.

So by this logic, we should be tipping just about everyone we encounter in every profession. Do you tip the cashier at Burger King? How about the person in the drive thru window? I worked at a daycare but never got any tips from parents. Next time I'm at Target should I tip the person that helps me find the item I'm searching for? Going by your logic, I'm a bit confused on who should and should not be tipped.

Tell me something, if you eat in a restaurant, don't you expect the food to be brought to you? assuming you are paying the price listed for the food?
But I assume you tip the waitress/waiter.
If you take a cab the cabie is paid a salary, and you pay a specific fee for the ride, what it says on the meter, but I assume you tip him right?

The guys that handle your bags DO get a salary, they don't work ONLY for tips, but I assume you tip them?

I have a son who is a cook at a Pizza house but he also sometimes delivers pizza. He gets tips for that but his base pay is $12 an hour.

So why shouldn't someone who cleans your toilet, and sink and tub, vacuums your room, makes your bed and brings you towels deserve a dollar or two a day in tips?

So why would you assume that Maids are just part of the cost of the room and do not deserve to be tipped?

I have been a chambermaid at various points in my life and always was paid Min. wage or below, so tips were vital just to survive.

Sorry, but I don't believe in tipping someone just because they work a job that does not pay well. I work a job that does not pay well in customer service, and I do not get tips. Some things, like cabs and waitresses are always tipped and is a common social norm, housekeeping, is not. I worked at a hotel for many years, and the maids RARELY got tipped. It is not as common as you may think.

I have never tipped at a motel and probably do not plan to. That should be included in the price of the motel. Many, many people are paid so little but we can't be expected to tip everyone. We work hard for our money and I work as support staff in a school and we are not even close in pay for what we do.

We tip $5 a day at WDW for DH and I. We have always had excellant service, cute towel animals and it just plain makes me feel good! Thus......I will continue to tip and say to everyone else.....to each it's own!!!!!

We always tip (a few dollars per day). I agree that not tipping the mousekeepers is the same as not tipping a waitress because "it should be included in the price". I realize that a waitress makes under minimum wage in most cases, but anyone who touches the toilet or towels that you have rubbed on your man/woman parts deserves a little extra (espcially when they earn minimum wage or only a little more).

There is a big difference between a cashier at Burger King and a housekeeper that cleans the toilet where your butt has been!!! :scared:

I agree with the PP! I will continue to tip and to each their own!

We always tip (a few dollars per day). I agree that not tipping the mousekeepers is the same as not tipping a waitress because "it should be included in the price". I realize that a waitress makes under minimum wage in most cases, but anyone who touches the toilet or towels that you have rubbed on your man/woman parts deserves a little extra (espcially when they earn minimum wage or only a little more).

There is a big difference between a cashier at Burger King and a housekeeper that cleans the toilet where your butt has been!!! :scared:

I agree with the PP! I will continue to tip and to each their own!

There is a difference between those jobs. But those people chose to have the job. And they knew going into it that they would have to clean toilets and stuff.

Personally, there are plenty of nasty jobs out there (just watch that show "Dirty Jobs" sometime) and most people don't get paid much nor do they get tipped.

We almost never tip housekeeping at hotels. Partly because we leave the "do not disturb" sign up most of our stay. I only like housekeeping to come in maybe once the entire time I'm there. If I ask them to bring me extra towels, I only tip if they've done it in a timely manner. If it takes them an hour or two...no tip.

Also, we keep our room really clean. And we basically use the same towels the whole week. If we need them to come in our room, it's usually just to empty the trash.

Same here.

In fact, I had never even heard of tipping for housekeeping until I became a member of this board.

We are neat and clean up after ourselves...I don't feel that me getting clean towels deserves a tip. :confused3

anyone who touches the toilet or towels that you have rubbed on your man/woman parts deserves a little extra (espcially when they earn minimum wage or only a little more).

I didn't know that anyone rubbed their "PARTS" on a toilet. By the way that comment doesn't make any sense.....Your clean when you get out of the shower and use a towel (I would assume). I would take a guess and say that most people's "BUTTS" are cleaner than most people's hands!

I didn't know that anyone rubbed their "PARTS" on a toilet. By the way that comment doesn't make any sense.....Your clean when you get out of the shower and use a towel (I would assume). I would take a guess and say that most people's "BUTTS" are cleaner than most people's hands!

Haha...that's probably true. Peoples hands encounter so many germs all day long. Nasty. I'm a big weird about germs in hotel rooms. Typically (even in nice hotels) I'll take wet ones and disinfect everything in the room that I plan on touching. Yeah, I'm insane.

We've been tipping in hotels all my life, never thought that it wasn't an option :confused3

We tip about $5 a day and while were there we start a change jar and leave that for the maid as well. On our last trip I actually counted it out because it didn't look like a big enough "bonus", there was over $15.00 in there.

The maid knew that I loved the H20 body lotion, so when she saw DH in the hall later in the day she gave him 10 bottles to give to me :woohoo:

I always love this line of reasoning. It's about this time that someone will post "but do you tip the CMs that clean the park restrooms?" I guess I'll be the one who posts it this time.

OP -Tip if you feel like it, but don't allow some on here to try to make you feel "cheap" or otherwise inferior if you do not.

I'm always amused by tipping threads on these boards. I also like to read the ones about tipping waitstaff. Kind of like looking at a car wreck I guess...

What amuses me when I compare the two types of threads is that it is pretty much accepted on the wait staff tipping threads that you are going to tip something, the only question is how much. Obviously it is not as clear-cut with housekeeping, or else there wouldn't be people who don't tip at all.

So, to those of you who do tip, good for you! But don't try to make it seem like tipping housekeeping is universal, because obviously it isn't.

Oh, and I will also bring up the other typical thing posted to this type of thread. WDW provides a list of "tipped" positions (or at least they used to) and housekeeping is not listed...:firefight

Oh, and I will also bring up the other typical thing posted to this type of thread. WDW provides a list of "tipped" positions (or at least they used to) and housekeeping is not listed...:firefight
Oh i would love a link to that!!!!

Although I always tend to clean up before heading out for the day, we always leave tips for the housekeeper. I have found that we usually receive extra towels, extra shampoo's, more chocolate on the pillow, etc for doing so. It is kind of like they are thanking us for thanking them. While at the Peabody in Orlando 2 years ago we stayed in a 2 bedroom suite and left a tip in the morning and again for turn~down service. I spoke with housekeeping about possibly being able to buy some of the shampoo they use in their rooms (I used to use years ago before Bare Escentuals discontinued it). She let me know that they sold it in their gift shop. I checked and it was WAY over priced. :eek: Good thing I did not buy any, when I returned to my room that night, there were 10 bottles in each of the 2 bathrooms.:flower3: She did this twice the next day as well. How totally thoughtful. And I didn't have to buy any shampoo for quite awhile which more than made up for the tips. :love:
Anyhow, it is always nice to hear a happy story.:hippie:
So, yes, while I always tip, it does not mean that if you don't you are wrong. Everyone just needs to do what works best for their budget.

HAVE A MAGICAL DAY!!!!!!pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust:

We have always tipped housekeeping. Until these boards, I never knew people didn't.

Housekeeping is a non-tipped position. If I require extra service or leave a mess, I'd leave a tip. Otherwise, no.

Usually, my little brother will write a note for them, like "the stuffed animals loved the TV"

I don't really know what constitutes a tipped vs. a non-tipped position, but tipping is traditional (not mandatory) in all areas of hospitality and tourism so I don't know why housekeeping should be any different. Most hospitality positions are minumum wage, but there are other jobs that are minimum wage as well. I work at a golf club, where the wait staff is paid minumum wage ($7.80 in this state) and they receive tips, and the guys who clean the golf carts also get minimum wage but don't receive tips. It seems that the travel guidelines for tipping (which include housekeeping along with wait staff, bell staff, taxi drivers, etc.) apply to anyone who gives you personal service. I imagine the people who don't tip housekeeping don't tip other positions either, on the basis that everyone in the service industry is already getting paid for doing their job.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter