Does Disney treat resales differently?

Figaro30

Proud to be an American
I was wondering if anybody that bought by resale has had a "bad" experience with Disney treating them different because they were a resale and didn't buy directly through disney?

i think the main difference lies in making ressies initially. when you buy directly through disney, you can make an immediate ressie once you've made your down payment. with a resale, you have to wait until your closing. after that, i don't think they care how you purchased.

Except for the rule that you cannot make ressies until after you close, a resale purchaser is treated exactly as any other DVC member.

In other words if you buy a resale, you'll get treated just as bad as the rest of us. ;)

I bought through disney in 1994 and bought a resale in Dec 1999 and have not been treated any differently by member services. I'm not sure what my sale guide thinks of the whole idea since I believe the resale info goes into my account which he has access to.

Saving $ 3000 on a resale was a big deal for me.

Ed

Once you're official and closed, there is no difference. You'll even get assigned a guide. Most people won't even know you were resale and none of the rest will care. They will call you and go over the entire program until you feel comfortable. DVC will send you all of the membership materials and book.

Dean

Although I recently purchased a resale, I have found MS to be excellent. They were very accomodating trying to me my needs. Initially, I was wait listed and MS called me within two weeks to honor my request. I there quality service is second to none. Enjoy!

We closed on an OKW resale in October, received membership cards in late December, and just took our first trip to OKW last week. All-in-all, it's been a great experience, but I do have two follow up questions:

1. Is MS supposed to contact me to walk through the program / book and assign a guide (as mentioned above)? We haven't heard from anyone.

2. I've seen several references to a tote bag sent as a gift from MS, should I have received one as a resale buyer?

No tote bag for us cheapskates. If you haven't heard from them, call DVC up. I think it's Administration that is responsible for sending out the membership book and other paperwork as well as making sure you understand the program, not MS. I find that you usually need to ask about your guide, just call up MS. With the 5 or 6 guides we've had over the years, only once have we been contacted when we were assigned to a new guide and that was the guide themselves. I think DVC should send out letters instructing you on your new guide, the reason for the change and contact informaiton when they asign a new one, but so far they haven't.

Dean

The "guide" refers to Vacation Guide...or sales person. Resales will have an assigned guide- possibly the same guide as the original owner- to answer any questions and certainly to help with any add-on purchase you may be interested in.
Resales don't usually get the tote bag- since that was provided to the original owner by the sales staff.
IMHO, having a guide is not a big deal- so don't worry if you don't hear from someone. If you need more points thru add-on- you won't have any trouble finding someone to assist you. Our guide, Bettie Pleasant, still leaves a "Welcome Home" message occasionally when we are at OKW and sends a "Thankyou" whenever we refer someone to her, but otherwise we don't get much contact...and really don't need or want much contact.

I bought resale back in 2015 and had no clue I would have had a guide assigned to us lol

Wow. I bought resale since 2019, many contracts, and Disney never sent me anything but the magazine that has all the legalese in it. I even requested the aulani dvd and never got it haha.

Twenty years... Back in the good ole days... :)

Yeah, I wish I could find it but there was a poster who spoke in the last year or so to someone in management (I believe) who did slam resale owners as second class or something...but I can't find the exact quote...(I think it was in one of the long threads but can't find it in the 2022 point chart discussion thread so it must be a different one.)

We own exclusively resale and have not been treated different by MS (chat or phone) or CMs at WDW, our waitlists have come through as well, overall we have not felt the 2nd class citizens issue when booking or actually staying at the resorts, I think it’s mostly a sales tactic but once you’re a member you don’t really feel the difference (so long as you’re not trying to book Riviera or get DVC discounts).

I don't think any different. You pay annual dues like anyone else.

Booking - the difference is the Riviera thing. Cant book there or future resorts.

Main thing is time. Direct very quick and points same day. You can also bank past deadline.

Resale takes around 60-90 days before you can do anything.......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter