• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does anyone have an Avatarland update??

Hi there! I'm not wanting to get into the big debate over whether Avatarland is a good idea or not. I am just wondering why we haven't heard any updates from Disney on the status of the whole thing. It seems like it was announced quite a while ago and nothing much about it since. Any ideas on why?

always said construction would start 2013...look for this summer to see phys construction

Honestly, I'm in the camp of people hoping that they decide to scrap Avatarland. So I'm hoping by this summer, we'll see that they aren't starting construction.

I won't argue about whether or not it was a box office success (it was), I just worry that this isn't a good move. As many people have pointed out, there isn't the following that would draw people to the parks. And I know this is going to lead to the same stats about how much money it earned (a lot), the Academy awards etc, etc, etc. Yes, those are values of success with Hollywood, but not with people.

I'm a Tumblr user, where I have a blog and follow over 300 blogs. Some are devoted to a specific fandom (Doctor Who, Harry Potter, Star Wars, etc) but many are multi-fandom or personal blogs, meaning they post many things that they like. In over two years of being a Tumblr user, I have seen zero posts about Avatar. There are over 100 million blogs on Tumblr, many that post about fandoms they like. Yet, when you search 'Avatar' on Tumblr, you mostly come up with Avatar: The Last Airbender. Fandoms are the 'crazies'. They'll plan vacations just to see something they love, they'll go spend the money to see a movie five or six times in theaters. They buy the merchandise, make fan-art, write stories about the characters, they invest time and energy into these fictional places and people. These are the types of people who you want to be interested in your new theme park addition because they will make special trips just to see the new land. These are the people who you want drawn in.

I'm just worried that Avatarland isn't going to have the push that Disney needs to drive attendance past the first couple of months. I don't know what would, I don't pretend to have answers about that or suggestions as to what to do otherwise. I'm just hoping they come up with something more reliable instead.

I'm not opposed to a single Avatar ride, I just think it's a bit overambitious to make a whole land out of it.

Honestly, I'm in the camp of people hoping that they decide to scrap Avatarland. So I'm hoping by this summer, we'll see that they aren't starting construction.

I won't argue about whether or not it was a box office success (it was), I just worry that this isn't a good move. As many people have pointed out, there isn't the following that would draw people to the parks. And I know this is going to lead to the same stats about how much money it earned (a lot), the Academy awards etc, etc, etc. Yes, those are values of success with Hollywood, but not with people.

I'm a Tumblr user, where I have a blog and follow over 300 blogs. Some are devoted to a specific fandom (Doctor Who, Harry Potter, Star Wars, etc) but many are multi-fandom or personal blogs, meaning they post many things that they like. In over two years of being a Tumblr user, I have seen zero posts about Avatar. There are over 100 million blogs on Tumblr, many that post about fandoms they like. Yet, when you search 'Avatar' on Tumblr, you mostly come up with Avatar: The Last Airbender. Fandoms are the 'crazies'. They'll plan vacations just to see something they love, they'll go spend the money to see a movie five or six times in theaters. They buy the merchandise, make fan-art, write stories about the characters, they invest time and energy into these fictional places and people. These are the types of people who you want to be interested in your new theme park addition because they will make special trips just to see the new land. These are the people who you want drawn in.

I'm just worried that Avatarland isn't going to have the push that Disney needs to drive attendance past the first couple of months. I don't know what would, I don't pretend to have answers about that or suggestions as to what to do otherwise. I'm just hoping they come up with something more reliable instead.

I'm not opposed to a single Avatar ride, I just think it's a bit overambitious to make a whole land out of it.

:thumbsup2 I agree completely with you :thumbsup2

I agree with you on this. And now that Disney owns Star Wars, the whole Avatarland idea might go away. A Star Wars land has great potential, but not Avatarland.

I agree with you on this. And now that Disney owns Star Wars, the whole Avatarland idea might go away. A Star Wars land has great potential, but not Avatarland.

But Star Wars doesn't fit thematically in AK. If Avatarland gets canceled I personally believe it will end up being a few more years until a new idea get off the drawing board and construction can start. So we could easily be looking at 2020 before AK gets a major new attraction.

I've never seen Avatar. It has never looked interesting to me other than the novelty factor of it being the most expensive movie made and the beautiful images. If/When Avatar land is built, I will watch the movie.

I'm going to withhold judgement until I see Avatar land. It may be wonderful. It may also be easily de-Avatared and transformed in to another type of land if Avatar doesn't catch on. Just take the characters out and modify the main ride and you easily have another "wild" area not based on a movie.

amberg93 said:

Very well said. I agree with you on this. Why not do one Avatar themed ride? Make it an amazing ride...really do it up right. But then, put the rest of the time and resources towards something with more staying power or more interest.

I agree, though I have ideas new park lands and attractions, and Disney probably has access to great professional idea people who have good ideas. Avatar is a waste of time & resources for Disney, in my opinion. Like you said, maybe one Avatar ride, but the time & expense devoted to a whole Avatar land would be better spent elsewhere by Disney.

But Star Wars doesn't fit thematically in AK. If Avatarland gets canceled I personally believe it will end up being a few more years until a new idea get off the drawing board and construction can start. So we could easily be looking at 2020 before AK gets a major new attraction.
A generic Star Wars land wouldn't fit, but an Endor based land or Kashyyykk(Chewbacca's home) would certainly fit as well as Avatar would. I don't think either of those would happen though. Unless they did it like Universal is doing with HP and do Endor at AK and Tattoine at HS.

A generic Star Wars land wouldn't fit, but an Endor based land or Kashyyykk(Chewbacca's home) would certainly fit as well as Avatar would. I don't think either of those would happen though. Unless they did it like Universal is doing with HP and do Endor at AK and Tattoine at HS.

And then connect the two with a ride! Wouldn't it be awesome to be able to move back and forth between the parks. Disney would sell a lot more hoppers and APs. :)

guys im all for star wars having a greater presence in the parks but not in two parks....build a land in DHS have your star wars weekends and expand other IPs

right now it looks like avatar is happening and will include one e ticket/mini land with cs

I only saw Avatar once and I agree with everyone who says that it doesn't have a following. However, it was a beautiful movie and when I think about the technology and creativity of Disney bringing that scenery to life I get very excited. Imagine a land where you can walk through a when you rub a leaf it glows in response to your touch! Imagine an indoor, dark, attraction with the avatar scenery. You wouldn't have to know the movie to appreciate those things. This is an opportunity for Disney to take attractions and park environments the next level technologically.

I only saw Avatar once and I agree with everyone who says that it doesn't have a following. However, it was a beautiful movie and when I think about the technology and creativity of Disney bringing that scenery to life I get very excited. Imagine a land where you can walk through a when you rub a leaf it glows in response to your touch! Imagine an indoor, dark, attraction with the avatar scenery. You wouldn't have to know the movie to appreciate those things. This is an opportunity for Disney to take attractions and park environments the next level technologically.

My sentiments exactly. I didn't care much for the film (liked it better when it was Dances With Wolves or even Pocahontas) but it was visually stunning. If done well, it could have very broad appeal, perhaps more so than something like Harry Potter.

The only thing I question in this post is the "tepid" comment-- If it is referring to the publics response to the addition, what are you basing it on? If it is these boards, I think the people who are pro avatar do not have the energy or desire to post " yey avatar" every time they are on, where the cons seem to always be more vocal. Maybe a poll is in order---

YAY AVATAR!!! I'm excited!!

I am a huge Star Wars fan and really hope the offerings at DHS will expand into a land. I liked Avatar, but wouldn't say that I am a big fan. I do think that the Avatar theme will be a great fit for a land at AK. There is plenty to work with there and the emphasis on conservation and the environment fits perfectly.

For those who are speculating/hoping that Avatarland isn't going to happen, I have bad news for you. Avatarland was discussed by Disney executives on a show on the Destination Channel last night. This is a new show that included reasonably current footage of the new Fantasyland expansion at MK. Avatarland doesn't appear to be going away.

I am not a star wars fan nor an avatar fan. I am a fan of added attractions in the parks. I think the avatar expansion will be great, and I hope there will be a star wars expansion even though I couldn't care less about the movies. And a cars land, and any other that the powers that be deem profitable.

I am not a star wars fan nor an avatar fan. I am a fan of added attractions in the parks. I think the avatar expansion will be great, and I hope there will be a star wars expansion even though I couldn't care less about the movies. And a cars land, and any other that the powers that be deem profitable.

Pretty much how i am beer dave. The attraction is a lot more important than the ip

ftballfan7 said:
I am a huge Star Wars fan and really hope the offerings at DHS will expand into a land. I liked Avatar, but wouldn't say that I am a big fan. I do think that the Avatar theme will be a great fit for a land at AK. There is plenty to work with there and the emphasis on conservation and the environment fits perfectly.

For those who are speculating/hoping that Avatarland isn't going to happen, I have bad news for you. Avatarland was discussed by Disney executives on a show on the Destination Channel last night. This is a new show that included reasonably current footage of the new Fantasyland expansion at MK. Avatarland doesn't appear to be going away.

I am just wondering when we will see concept art for avatarland, I am sure this project will be amazing

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter