• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does anyone else go alcohol-free in WDW?

I typically go during the hotter months. My body needs water more than anything else--so I'm with you on that. I do however, like to order a drink once in a while when we go to a sit down dinner. Also can't forget my beloved lapu lapu!

I don't find Disney booze prices to be any different than NYC, Chicago, Seattle, or Miami's (where I live). A martini here will set ya back $15 at least plus tip. Disney at least gives you generous pours.

Am I wrong?

Not everyone lives in, or drinks in, those cities. :)

Because we can - no kids, no family, no one to take care of. It will just be two Moms relaxing, two friends having fun. WDW has unique drinks that we want to try. Can you tell we don’t get out much?!! Since we aren’t big drinkers, we probably talk more then actually drinking -such a shame! 😂 Hopefully it is not hot, don’t drink when it is hot.

That’s how my cousin and I spend our Princess weekend trips.

I am a beer drinker. First choice is always Guinness or any other stout if Guinness isn't available.

If you ever have a car, take a trek up to Orlando Brewing. A certified organic beer brewer (kinda cool), and very tasty beers. They have growlers you can buy and fill, and bottles you can buy. They also have a taproom, but then you need a DD to get back to the hotel.

We don’t drink much in the parks (although you might find me with a Grand Marnier slush from France or Tipsy Ducks in Love from China).

There are usually 8-10 of us staying in a grand villa together and we will open a bottle of wine in the villa and have some light snacks in the late afternoon before we head back to the parks or after we get back from the parks

When we stayed at a Poly bungalow, almost every night we’d get the kids in their pajamas, have a glass of wine and watch HEA from the deck. It was so lovely.

Using the DDP for the first time on our next trip, so I may order drinks with a few more meals than usual since it’s included.

Doesn't matter, it just means Disney's drink prices are within the norm for the industry.

Totally matters.

If I don’t have $15 drinks in my town, then a $15 drink is a big deal. In my town a $15 drink is a serious drink with excellent booze in it. Not a boardwalk joe’s margarita that sometimes seems like they forgot the tequila.

Area standard is what counts.

I will sometimes have a glass of wine with dinner at Epcot, depending on where we choose to eat. Sometimes I don't drink any alcohol.

Totally matters.

If I don’t have $15 drinks in my town, then a $15 drink is a big deal. In my town a $15 drink is a serious drink with excellent booze in it. Not a boardwalk joe’s margarita that sometimes seems like they forgot the tequila.

Then it's expensive for you, but not expensive for industry standard. Majority of people live in an urban area and surrounding suburbs. Majority of urban areas have these types of drink prices, most likely including Orlando.

Just because someone isnt used to these prices doesn't make them out of the norm, just out of "their" norm.

I usually just get a frozen drink at World Showcase, like a margarita or grand marnier slush.

Honestly I am of the do what you want as long as you aren't hurting anyone else by doing so. If you don't drink, don't drink. My one & only trip to WDW I didn't drink.

Then it's expensive for you, but not expensive for industry standard. Majority of people live in an urban area and surrounding suburbs. Majority of urban areas have these types of drink prices, most likely including Orlando.

Just because someone isnt used to these prices doesn't make them out of the norm, just out of "their" norm.
I live in a tiny college town in northern Maine and paid $9 for a mango martini with dinner tonight, and DH's gin basil smash was $11. Disney drink prices might be a little high, but they don't shock me.

Doesn't matter, it just means Disney's drink prices are within the norm for the industry.

I agree. In our area a small restaurant may be less expensive but once you go to the "Saturday Night" restaurants a martini runs about $12 to $15 and a glass of wine starts at $9 and goes up from there.

When we vacation I expect the area prices to be ramped up from what I pay at home. I do think food in WDW is more expensive than most of the prices I am used to, however I just returned from Aruba and a steak there was running $50 and up.

Totally matters.

I agree that the cost is expensive for you, but it is is line with vacation destinations and many small city restaurants. When I dine around my town the prices are a lower than the two cities I am sandwiched between. We don't justify meals in either city often, but when we do decide to get gussied up for Saturday night, I know that ur bill will run close to $150 per couple.

The nice thing about a WDW vacation is that we do not need to drive. My DH holds his CDL and will not drink and drive. A glass of wine or a beer with a meal is a rare thing for him because he refuses to ever risk his license. My DD also refuses to have a hard beverage and get behind the wheel and no one will ever drive with me, so DIsney is one of the very few destinations that either one will relax and have a drink or two with meals, or even in between.

I haven't been since 2017 but when planning for a return trip I have noticed more quick service alcoholic drinks on offer. I am not against alcohol and drink on other vacations but never in WDW.

I am curious about other people's (non-judgemental) views on drinking alcohol in WDW? What do you do and why?

I drink more at WDW than I do at home. Alcohol is a splurge, and that ties in with a Disney vacation for me. Plus, I like not having to worry about driving anywhere, or having to work the next morning.

Six months pregnant for my trip next month, so not this time. I’m definitely looking forward to finding some fun mocktails, and we’re planning on doing an adults-only weekend for the Wine and Dine half marathon in 2020; I’ll make up for this year’s lack of booze then!

I drink more at WDW than I do at home. Alcohol is a splurge, and that ties in with a Disney vacation for me. Plus, I like not having to worry about driving anywhere, or having to work the next morning.

Us too. I don't drink every day at home, but we were having at least 2 a day for the week we were there. Usually more. And still none of us were ever obnoxiously drunk or hungover.

I'm just now starting to visit WDW without children. I didn't drink during the years my daughter was with me but she's grown now. Next year will be our first visit that she can drink and we plan on doing so. We're staying at EPCOT during F&G so allowing ourselves the indulgence. I've just returned from a WDW trip and I can say, even though it was just my mother and I and we both drink, we didn't drink as much as we thought we would due to the heat. We had wine at Le Cellier, did a food and wine seminar, and I got a couple of drinks in World Showcase but that was it and we were there for a week. Next visit is in early March with my DD22. That one will probably be much different! I love the Tipsy Ducks in Love!

I don't go alcohol free, but I also don't have a drink every day. I was raised with wine with nice dinners and champagne for special occasions. My grandfather had a wine cellar and always was very particular about wine and it's pairings, but none of us drank on a daily basis. I'll have a fancy cocktail when out with the girls and I go for a wine tasting weekend once a year, however, I still am not a daily drinker (not even weekly) and I have never really enjoyed feeling tipsy. That doesn't change when I'm on vacation or at Disney. I don't see the point of spending the money on something I don't really want. It's also why I find the dining plan not a great fit for me as I would never really order an alcoholic drink with lunch and only sometimes with dinner.

That said, I have zero problem with people who do drink at Disney and I frankly don't care if there serve it in Magic Kingdom. I wouldn't be bothered if it wasn't there, but I'm not bothered that it is there either. As long as people aren't wasted and making a scene, it really doesn't concern me. My brother is coming with me in March 2020 and I know he'll have one or two drinks a day. He's an avid craft beer taster and I know he's excited to sample some interesting mixed drinks around the parks as well. He took bartending courses just to serve guests unique cocktails at his home bar he built, so he wants to taste some at Disney to see if he can replicate them and add them to his drinks menu he has going.

I think as long as people aren't stumbling drunk and impacting other people's enjoyment, then it doesn't really matter. And I honestly haven't been witness to that many stumbling drunk people at WDW. A few, sure, but I've also seen a shocking amount of bad behaviour from completely sober people. :confused3 I won't judge the many by the stupidity of the few.

I have medication that won't allow any alcohol. So no pina colavas for me other than virgin pina colavas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter