• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does anyone else get annoyed at people calling you "Honey" or "Babe"

I have to admit I am known to be a "high maintenance" kind of person by people that know me ( a lot of improper things bother me) but "Hun", "Honey", "Sugar" are definitely not words that I find offensive. Quite the contrary, I think they are sweet.
In full disclosure, I have lived in Texas for over 20 years. ;)

This thread has been interesting. I am one of "those" people who sometimes call people honey or sweetie (would never use Babe though). I only use those terms when dealing with people who are much younger than me (I'm 50). I certainly never mean them in anything but a kind way. It never crossed my mind that anybody would be offended by my trying to be nice to them. I do live in the deep south, so I'm hoping that may have helped. ;)

I absolutely hate it and have asked people I do not know to stop.

DH has a friend that used to call me honey all the time, and I hate hate hate it. I think he must've finally said something to the guy because he stopped. I can't think of any other instances when it's bothered me, though.

I used to be a tour guide at a historical site, and once during the course of a tour, I addressed a mixed group of men and women as "you guys". Afterwards, I got "talked to" by one of the women about how this term is offensive to some and that it's not a good to use. Who knew?! :confused3 I mean, it might be a bit informal, but I never knew some people took offense to it! I was a lot more careful after that.

Does anyone have the ability to imagine what would happen in the world if everyone that was offended by something were able to get it stopped, even though nothing offensive was intended. We would come to a communication stand still. The reason it is used that way is to avoid calling people...hey you!

YES!! I was in Kmart the other day and the cashier called me "hon" 3 times! Why do people do that? :confused3

Cause they don't know your name, and they are trying to be friendly and not cold. I guess a cold world would be better? The real problem is that some have connected the terms hon, dear, darlin and sweetie with some form of sexual connotation. It really isn't one.

Does anyone have the ability to imagine what would happen in the world if everyone that was offended by something were able to get it stopped, even though nothing offensive was intended. We would come to a communication stand still. The reason it is used that way is to avoid calling people...hey you!

:rotfl: The owner of a gift shop I worked at when I was a teenager called us employees that constantly! Guess she never wanted to bother learning all our names.

Cause they don't know your name, and they are trying to be friendly and not cold. I guess a cold world would be better? The real problem is that some have connected the terms hon, dear, darlin and sweetie with some form of sexual connotation. It really isn't one.

You can be warm without being condescending. I don't like people I don't know calling me Honey, Sweetie, etc. Heck, I don't even think they should use my first name. I just think it's rude. I don't find anything sexual about those words.

I do realize, living in the south, that the intention is usually not to be rude, so I don't let it bother me. I don't like it, though.

Editing to add: I don't at all mind it when older people call me those names, and I quite like being called "Love" by an older person.

I work at a local business, yesterday a young girl came in made her purchase, recieved her change and said," THANKS HONEY". Here she is i'd say 25, younger than my daughter and im 46. Well she left the store and all i could do was to laugh. In High School i took a few courses in sociology and phychology. Some people do it to make themselves look as to be above others, better than when in all it makes them look small. I know there are older people that just cant help it and it sounds normal and then the others, what, trying to act grown up and it comes out sounding fake. In my opinion if you come across one of those fake HONEYS you can always look at them and say," well your welcome HONEY" with a big smile on your face i bet they wont call you that again. It made my day. :rotfl2:

I hope my life never gets to the point that I worry so much about such meaningless things. People get bent out of shape about the oddest stuff on the DIS.

I'd rather be called honey than ma'am. That makes me feel old old old.

:rotfl:

"Pet names" have always been a pet peeve of mine. They just grate on my nerves. If I am having a bad day, I am tempted to not even respond.

I hope my life never gets to the point that I worry so much about such meaningless things. People get bent out of shape about the oddest things on the DIS.

Everyone has something that irks them from time to time. There's nothing wrong with having a pet peeve, I'm certain that you have your own. You just don't get it b/c this isn't your particular pet peeve. I don't like having people I've never met before calling me "Honey" and "Sweetie." I find it rather condescending.

If you go to Leicester you get called me duck, In Corby or work with people from Corby or Scotland (its a scotish thing I have been told?) its hen. I have also been called darlin and sweetheart but it never bothers me. Maam on the other hand makes me feel 100.

My boss's boss calls me "Honey" all the time, but as a term of affection. Doesn't bother me. Only time it bothers me is when a waitress or somebody calls me "Honey." But that only seems to happen to me when I'm between Maryland and Georgia. And it's not a big enough deal for me to fret over.

I really don't appreciate it when people call me 'honey'/'babe'/'sweetie' except for DF and even then it gets annoying. Please just call me ma'am or my name if you ask for it. Thank You

I used to be a tour guide at a historical site, and once during the course of a tour, I addressed a mixed group of men and women as "you guys". Afterwards, I got "talked to" by one of the women about how this term is offensive to some and that it's not a good to use. Who knew?! :confused3 I mean, it might be a bit informal, but I never knew some people took offense to it! I was a lot more careful after that.

I'm waiting to get nailed one of these days for saying "you guys" but it IS on the list of "you know you are from...." since it can be a group of all woman and "Hey you guys" will come out just as easily as for mixed group, it doesn't matter. It has the same meaning as you all around here. Of course, I DO tend to think of The Electric Company at times too.

If it's someone from around here they wouldn't even think twice with hearing it.

I know we had this discussion before but really your choice is to call them nothing or apparently HEY YOU (which will offend someone too I'm sure) if you don't know their name but need to get their attention in a retail situation. There was a thread earlier that Ma'am was offensive. I really have no idea what other name you should use when running after someone who forgot part of their purchase & you don't know their name but you need to call them back -- "Excuse me Sir/Ma'am" seems to be the most logical to me but that also offends people.

OOPS -- I didn't notice this was a very old thread brought back up.

I work with this man who calls all the women Honey Bun and all the men Buddy or Bub. Its very annoying. I dislike him also, so it makes it worse.

I dont think you should use those terms with anyone you dont know. I know in most cases it is used with only good thoughts in mind; but I do find it silly for a total stranger to call me honey. If I were a child maybe; but not another adult.

Depends. If people my grandparents' age says it to me, I don't mind. But when upperclassmen call me (sophomore) sweetie or honey it really pisses me off. :| I'm only 3 months-2 years younger than you, you have no right to call me sweetie!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter