Does anyone else get annoyed at people calling you "Honey" or "Babe"

Doesn't bother me being called Honey or Sweetie but then again it's usually done by someone older then me and they are not saying it in a disrespectful way. What I could not stand was when an older woman that I worked with use to call me Lover. I was in high school at the time and working at a clothing store. Drove me nuts! I finally told her that I didn't like it and she had no problem with stopping.

My grandchildren call me Babe......I love it!!!
Our grandaughter started it when she was learning to speak. She would hear my DH call me Babe and picked it up there. 5 g'kids later we are still called Babe & Papa :lovestruc

My grandchildren call me Babe......I love it!!!
Our grandaughter started it when she was learning to speak. She would hear my DH call me Babe and picked it up there. 5 g'kids later we are still called Babe & Papa :lovestruc

That's so sweet!

It honestly doesn't bother me unless it's clearly condescending.

It's true that here in the South, it's not only common it's rarely meant to be anything other than a term of endearment. It's just how we were raised. I hear it all of the time and I find it charming.

Niceness aside, its still not professional (in the taco bell situation).

I am in N.C. and was born and raised here. I have been in the service business for 25 years. Food Service to be exact. I have done everything from washing dishes to District Manager over several locations. I have worked in Golf Courses and Country Clubs that served people from all over the world. I have always used these terms and have always given very good service. I made WAY more money waiting tables and bartending than in management for sure when my money was based on tips alone. I DO consider myself professional.

If I were in your neck of the woods, maybe not, but here it's fine. My mom has issue with it when people talk to her that way, and I tell her she has more to worry about and to let it go.

Having said that, I have a story for all of you that I feel is relevant. I will try to keep it short. I used to have a young girl that worked for me that had spent some time in Scotland. She called the women that she waited on "My Lady" out of habit. People LOVED her! They would stop me in the grocery store and say "How's the "My Lady" lady?" She probably got more customer compliments than anyone I have ever had work for me. One day a woman came in that had a problem with her coffee. Caren said "I'm so sorry, My Lady. I will fix that for you right away!" The woman FLIPPED OUT!!! She began yelling at Caren things like "Don't you be condescending to me little girl, just make my drink. Don't you ever call me Lady!! How dare You!!!" Now this isn't rumor, I was standing there! I sent Caren to the back and took care of the customer.

My point is that if we, as customer service PROFESSIONALS, are to worry about everyone that is offended by a name other than their own, we would be a "What can I get you" crowd. I HATE being called Ma'am. This woman hated being called LADY. My husband hates You Guys. So what. Enjoy the service and appreciate that they tried to be a little personal with you.

To me, nothing is worse than NOT acknowledging me. Going through a drive through and not even having the people speak to you. I like a smile, a nice word, and even a ma'am is better than nothing.

AND by the way, using those terms doesn't make you UNPROFESSIONAL. Not in that situation, or at Taco Bell. I do believe a server/bartender should be able to "read" the customer. And if you asked me not to call you that, I would apologize and not call you that again. Because that would be professional. But do not classify all of us that use those terms as not being so.

JMHO.

I absolutely hate being called names like that.

I feel only my DH should be calling me those names.

When I worked as a waitress, occasionally a customer would call me something like that and I just wanted to tell them I'd prefer they call me by my name (we put our name tags right on the tables) but of course I couldn't. Had to smile and bite my tongue or there would have been no tip.

And now, as a customer in a restaurant, I still hate it when the server calls me any term of endearment. I still don't say anything though, because I don't want them spitting in my food, or worse. :(

I have always called my customers Sweetie or hon. Never Honey. I would never in a million billion years every thought it would bother anyone. It never bothers me when people call me those names. You can't please everyone I guess

This is really funny to me. This thread was started in 2008!

I don't have a problem with it. It's part of life here. If I spent time being upset by being called "hon" I wouldn't have much free time at all. Happens all the time, and not in any condescending way.

All you have to do is drive around Baltimore. You don't even have to get out of your car. Just count the bumper stickers that say HON.

So essentially, you're getting called Hon by someone you can't even hear.

There was even a sign (advertisement?) in one of the Baltimore stadiums that used Hon. So you can't even go to a ball game without being called Hon. By a sign!

I am in N.C. and was born and raised here. I have been in the service business for 25 years. Food Service to be exact. I have done everything from washing dishes to District Manager over several locations. I have worked in Golf Courses and Country Clubs that served people from all over the world. I have always used these terms and have always given very good service. I made WAY more money waiting tables and bartending than in management for sure when my money was based on tips alone. I DO consider myself professional.

If I were in your neck of the woods, maybe not, but here it's fine. My mom has issue with it when people talk to her that way, and I tell her she has more to worry about and to let it go.

Having said that, I have a story for all of you that I feel is relevant. I will try to keep it short. I used to have a young girl that worked for me that had spent some time in Scotland. She called the women that she waited on "My Lady" out of habit. People LOVED her! They would stop me in the grocery store and say "How's the "My Lady" lady?" She probably got more customer compliments than anyone I have ever had work for me. One day a woman came in that had a problem with her coffee. Caren said "I'm so sorry, My Lady. I will fix that for you right away!" The woman FLIPPED OUT!!! She began yelling at Caren things like "Don't you be condescending to me little girl, just make my drink. Don't you ever call me Lady!! How dare You!!!" Now this isn't rumor, I was standing there! I sent Caren to the back and took care of the customer.

My point is that if we, as customer service PROFESSIONALS, are to worry about everyone that is offended by a name other than their own, we would be a "What can I get you" crowd. I HATE being called Ma'am. This woman hated being called LADY. My husband hates You Guys. So what. Enjoy the service and appreciate that they tried to be a little personal with you.

To me, nothing is worse than NOT acknowledging me. Going through a drive through and not even having the people speak to you. I like a smile, a nice word, and even a ma'am is better than nothing.

AND by the way, using those terms doesn't make you UNPROFESSIONAL. Not in that situation, or at Taco Bell. I do believe a server/bartender should be able to "read" the customer. And if you asked me not to call you that, I would apologize and not call you that again. Because that would be professional. But do not classify all of us that use those terms as not being so.

JMHO.

I am from the south, (well Florida, south geographically) my parents are from TN. So it doesn't bother me at all, we don't a whole lot of it here in Florida, because of all the northerners that move here, and they don't seem to care for it. Anyway, we have relatives in SC 45 minutes from Charlotte, and we are thinking about moving up that way so we went looking around. Everyone called both of us honey and sweetie and I LOVED it and so did hubby. It was done in a very friendly way, and for the life of me and cannot understand why someone would be offended, but then again, I guess this is why the world if gong to crap these days. People just aren't nice anymore. RANT over

It's true that here in the South, it's not only common it's rarely meant to be anything other than a term of endearment. It's just how we were raised. I hear it all of the time and I find it charming.

Being from Maryland, I am used to hearing Hon all the time. My parents and my in-laws were all from the South and I am used to hearing all these terms. Even my DH, who is retired, sometimes uses them because he's heard them all his life. I can't be bothered by people that were raised using these terms -- it is just too much a part of them and it is hard to change after all that time.

Heck, I had some very serious health issues recently. While at my GYN's office, my doctor put his arm around me and told me that they would do everything that they could. I can't remember which term of endearment he used -- but it was most comforting at a stressful time in my life. Thankfully, following surgery, everything is going well now.

There are just too many other things to be upset about in life.

In South Louisiana it is very common to be called "baby" by African American women of a certain age. And far from insulting - it is actually quite a compliment to rate a "baby".

So if any of you who are offended by the use of a term like "baby" choose to visit please know that this is meant as a term of endearment and not an insult. You can still be offended if you want to be, but please know that it was not said to offend you.

I was thinking of that when I first began reading the thread. I worked as a nurse and frequently, the older African-American women called me Baby. I felt flattered, knowing it was a term of endearment.

As far as people that I know are younger than I am who call me "hon" or some variation, I'll gladly take it. I'm happy they don't know just how old I am--or they probably wouldn't do it. :rotfl:

As far as medical professionals using generic terms, really, we move among patients so fast--unless it's a service where the patients are seen regularly--we can't remember names, no slam intended. Heck, there were days when I'd have been particularly busy I couldn't sometimes remember in the afternoon what I'd done in the morning. It'd be great to only deal with just one patient, but there's labwork to order and then check on, phone calls, call-backs, etc. too. It's distracting.

I admit I am am guilty of using those terms.

I generally use the terms "My friend" and "Dear". I usually use these terms for patients of mine as a way to make the conversation prior to their surgery more casual and to try to relax people a bit. When I have to take a long health history and explain all of their anesthesia to them, some people will get *very* nervous. So I try my best to keep things semi-casual and tone down the formality of the conversation so the patients feel more comfortable. I talk about their hobbies and cut a couple of cheesy jokes to try to make the patient more at ease about the situation. Plus, If I am doing Cataracts, I may have more than a dozen patients to go through that day! Remembering names are a bit tougher in that situation.

"Alright, my friend, any more questions about your anesthesia?"
"Ok Dear, I am going to give you a mask that will make you feel very sleepy very fast. Pick a sweet dream!"

For a child I may use terms like Sweetheart, Buddy, Dear and Little Man (or Lady). (or for spanish children "Mi Vida") I truly use it to attempt to make people calmer and more comfortable.

Quite a few patients use the same terms back toward me. I get called Sweetheart, Mama, and Honey.... most often by older women.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. This has been happening more and more to me and I can't stand it.

For example, there is a Taco Bell in the area that I frequent. Everytime this woman hands me my order she always says, There you go "Sweetie" or there you go "Hon"

And just yesterday, I was ordering an iced at McDonalds and the woman called me "Babe"

This bothers me so much. I dont think anyone but my wife should call me that.

Does anyone else hate this?

It doesn't bother me at all-- because if they thought I was a complete witch, they wouldn't say that. Sometimes it's just habit on the other person's part too. No need for knickers to be in a twist.

Doesn't bother me in the least. I've never felt that I was being talked down to when someone called me that. Many people say those words, and don't think anything about it. I'd sure rather be called honey or babe, than some nasty name.

I admit I am am guilty of using those terms.

I generally use the terms "My friend" and "Dear". I usually use these terms for patients of mine as a way to make the conversation prior to their surgery more casual and to try to relax people a bit. When I have to take a long health history and explain all of their anesthesia to them, some people will get *very* nervous. So I try my best to keep things semi-casual and tone down the formality of the conversation so the patients feel more comfortable. I talk about their hobbies and cut a couple of cheesy jokes to try to make the patient more at ease about the situation. Plus, If I am doing Cataracts, I may have more than a dozen patients to go through that day! Remembering names are a bit tougher in that situation.

"Alright, my friend, any more questions about your anesthesia?"
"Ok Dear, I am going to give you a mask that will make you feel very sleepy very fast. Pick a sweet dream!"

For a child I may use terms like Sweetheart, Buddy, Dear and Little Man (or Lady). (or for spanish children "Mi Vida") I truly use it to attempt to make people calmer and more comfortable.

Quite a few patients use the same terms back toward me. I get called Sweetheart, Mama, and Honey.... most often by older women.

While I understand you feel it relaxes people, I sure hope you're from the south or somewhere where using endearments on strangers is considered appropriate. I assume that if you are not, you would be smart enough to adjust accordingly. My dad was in the hospital recently and got called sweetheart by a nurse and was LIVID! To him, it was a condesending insult and, since he was lying helpless in a hospital bed, he did not handle it well. Put it this way, a feeble old man doesn't want to be called one. Seriously, it was a setback for him and could have had horrible consequences for his health.

It does annoy me, and I'd rather ppl. not do it. Honestly, it almost feels a little degrading when ppl. do it, like they're talking down to me, although I'm not sure why I feel that way.- Probably because they don't know me, and it's just weird.

In general, it doesn't bother me unless it's some really smarmy guy who's leering at me and saying it. Then I have to tell him to step off.

and for the life of me and cannot understand why someone would be offended, but then again, I guess this is why the world if gong to crap these days. People just aren't nice anymore. RANT over

Just because someone doesn't like people calling them sweetie, honey, dear, etc. does not mean they're not a nice person. You're from the south, it's normal for you. Northern people, not so much. It's the same with tea. Southern people usually like it sweet. Northern people usually don't. Neither is wrong, just a difference of opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter