Does anyone else expect a "rant" in this coming weeks show?

Will there be a rant on the 10/06 DisUnplugged show

• Yes

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 62.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jes, I think the difference is that Disney is not marketed or perceived as a luxury product. If you ask the average guy on the street to name a luxury vacation destination, you're probably going to get answers like Paris or Rome or Fiji. I highly doubt anyone will say Disney World. At least here in the US, going to Disney is no more exclusive than going to the beach. This is a place where our high school kids go for their senior class trip, even from 1,000+ miles away. It's the quintessential American family vacation.

There is a lot of chatter in the US about the disappearance of the middle class. A lot of that is political mumbo jumbo but when people see things they used to be able to afford start to become unaffordable, it gets them upset. Wages have been stagnant for many years while the cost of goods and services has steadily increased.

I totally get that Disney is a publicly owned company and has to keep the shareholders happy. Heck, I'm one of those shareholders. Still, to see prices jump 15% overnight is a little hard to swallow. My income didn't go up 15%. It didn't go up at all. So going to Disney just got a little less affordable for us. Will we stop going? No, because we still have enough wiggle room in our budget to absorb the increase, but I have no doubt that for others that won't be the case and a trip may need to be cancelled or postponed.

Interestingly, Pete alluded to the price hike as being a way to curb the crowds in Disneyland but didn't make the same mention regarding Disney World. I was hoping he would address that. I still believe that at least in part, they are trying to address the overcrowding issue.
Steve - Totally agree with you, as I find myself so often doing. Especially with your sentiments regarding being a fellow shareholder/our incomes not going up. That's why more than anger, I feel profound sadness about this latest rise/reason for it, along with the so-often-the-last-few-years rises in price, cutting back of benefits, increases in crowds, etc., etc., etc. Like Iv'e said many times before - I am able to go to "my happy place" less and less often, enjoy it less when I'm there, and I certainly also spend much less when I'm there, and explore less experiences. So while maybe I haven't STOPPED going altogether YET (so I won't shut up about it), I am certainly somebody who "puts her money where her mouth is, and goes less and less, spends less and less, etc., and speaks with her wallet". And that makes me very sad to have to feel forced to do so. Like I've also said here many times (again - from the standpoint of being a shareholder, so having a "perceived benefit or vested interest" from all these cutbacks/price rises, etc. - sometimes it AIN'T just all about the money!!

Disney also intentionally omitted Duffy from all of its advertising, so you'd show up at Epcot not realizing that Snuggle the Fabric Softener Bear's creepy cousin was going to be showing up every 30 feet around World Showcase.
Snuggle's creepy cousin - ROTFL!!!!!!

Funny, I am now getting ads on this page for a lodge in Yosemite. DH has always wanted to go there...

Amalgamated........."what a great word..........and we so rarely have an oppurtunity to use it in a sentence." (name the movie? :P)

:-)

Doug :goofy:
Hmm...

"Amalgamated". I think it's used in Looney Tunes features from time to time. As for which movie, I'm stumped. "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" ? Nah, that's not it. I give.

It's a fine word, though. :tilt:

The movie I was thinking of is Kill Bill Vol 2.:D The scene just after Bud is taken out by the snake and Elle is explaining his situation to him...........(the nicest way I could say it :) ) Not a Disney style movie at any level, but Jess's response reminded me of it................

Doug :goofy:

I can currently say (at least for the next two weeks) that I am AP holder for WDW and DL. The WDW AP's are much cheaper than the DL AP's. That being said, as a DVC member I have been an AP holder 3 of the 8 years we have been members. We purchase the tickets and AP's based on our planned visitation of that year. I don't lose sleep over price increases too much. What keeps us from going more are school schedules, the amount of points we have available and airfare. I care more if annual DVC dues goes up as that hits my bottom line no matter if I go or not. I for one would love to see more reduced crowds and I think this is what Disney is doing. Trying to reduce the crowds. The economy is better and more people are going, it is simple supply and demand. I'm a planner and this will not affect me much as I will just plan for the increases as they come. We may do stays that we don't go to the parks everyday as we do at DL since our AP's have blackout dates, but we will still go. Disney is a company that is in it to make money. That's the bottom line. Why does this surprise anyone?

I just wanted to add that I really disagreed with a lot of what was said on last week's show. While I can see where they're coming from, I think what they missed was that many took this not as just another price increase but a clear (explicit) gesture to their most loyal fanbase and yet another sign that they have no appreciation for us, yet when the economy tanks and travelers (international and domestic) start cutting back on vacation, then we're important again. If the way you survive sharp economic downturns is by using discounts and PINs to incentivize repeat visitors to come back despite their financial hardships but then you turn around when you're doing great and basically say "we don't need you," you're not setting up a long-term sustainable business model. And this isn't coming from me; this is actually what Pete said back during the 2008 financial crisis. So I don't think it's an issue of perspective. I've been visiting WDW all my life very, very frequently and love it so much. But to see that loyalty not recognized even in the smallest way (Disney doesn't have a Hilton Honors or YouFirst or American Advantage) does bug me, because without pass holders and FL Residents, Disney would not have made it through some of its toughest times in the early to mid 80s. Btw, I also didn't understand reading a letter about the AP price increases from someone who doesn't own an AP. Seemed kinda odd.

many took this not as just another price increase but a clear (explicit) gesture to their most loyal fanbase
I also read this morning that another recent change was that cast members now have extended black out dates on their passes that basically span the entire holiday season. I don't know the details so I may not have this quite right but I believe the deal is that previously, CM guest passes were only blacked out Christmas week. Now they are blacked out the entire holiday season. So, for example, the only way to have your family come visit and see the holiday decorations in the park is for them to buy a regular ticket or attend the Christmas party. Before you could get them in with your guest passes. Again, I might not have the details 100% right.

If you don't value your CMs and you don't value your frequent flyer guests, I do think there's a problem brewing.

I just wanted to add that I really disagreed with a lot of what was said on last week's show. While I can see where they're coming from, I think what they missed was that many took this not as just another price increase but a clear (explicit) gesture to their most loyal fanbase and yet another sign that they have no appreciation for us, yet when the economy tanks and travelers (international and domestic) start cutting back on vacation, then we're important again. If the way you survive sharp economic downturns is by using discounts and PINs to incentivize repeat visitors to come back despite their financial hardships but then you turn around when you're doing great and basically say "we don't need you," you're not setting up a long-term sustainable business model. And this isn't coming from me; this is actually what Pete said back during the 2008 financial crisis. So I don't think it's an issue of perspective. I've been visiting WDW all my life very, very frequently and love it so much. But to see that loyalty not recognized even in the smallest way (Disney doesn't have a Hilton Honors or YouFirst or American Advantage) does bug me, because without pass holders and FL Residents, Disney would not have made it through some of its toughest times in the early to mid 80s. Btw, I also didn't understand reading a letter about the AP price increases from someone who doesn't own an AP. Seemed kinda odd.

I didn't miss or negate your feelings. I just don't think that Disney needs to reward your loyalty. The majority of companies don't.

Disney has never had a loyalty program....even during slow times. They offer discounts when the need arises.

I buy a season subscription to the theater that offers the touring Broadway shows and have for many years. The price has doubled in 5 or 6 years. You used to get parking with your season pass. You now have to pay for parking.

I make a decision each year as to whether I buy the season subscription or not.

Never once did I think the theater owed me anything for my loyalty. I am buying a product, nothing more, nothing less. The cost of the product has increased and I make decisions with my wallet.

Publix doesn't offer me any kind of loyalty discount...and believe me...if anyone should recognize my loyalty....it's Publix. I should have direct deposit and they could give me an allowance.

I am fairly loyal to a certain brand of clothing. No loyalty rewards. When they have left over stock at the end of the season, they have a sale...because thats what they need to do.

Buying an annual pass is buying a product. The product has increased in cost. Your loyalty is rewarded with new attractions and other improvements and the fact that your pass works out to less that $3.00 per day ($829.00 dived by 365 days = $2.27 per day)

As for not setting up a long term sustainable business model....we've said many times that you can make your feelings known with you wallet. When Disney feels a pinch, they will change things again.

Last edited:
I didn't miss or negate your feelings. I just don't think that Disney needs to reward your loyalty. The majority of companies don't.

Disney has never had a loyalty program....even during slow times. They offer discounts when the need arises.

I buy a season subscription to the theater that offers the touring Broadway shows and have for many years. The price has doubled in 5 or 6 years. You used to get parking with your season pass. You now have to pay for parking.

Never once did I think the theater owed me anything for my loyalty. I am buying a product, nothing more, nothing less. The cost of the product has increased and I make decisions with my wallet.

Publix doesn't offer me any kind of loyalty discount...and believe me...if anyone should recognize my loyalty....it's Publix. I should have direct deposit and they could give me an allowance.

I am fairly loyal to a certain brand of clothing. No loyalty rewards. When they have left over stock at the end of the season, they have a sale...because thats what they need to do.

Buying an annual pass is buying a product. The product has increased in cost. Your loyalty is rewarded with new attractions and other improvements and the fact that your pass works out to less that $3.00 per day ($829.00 dived by 365 days = $2.27 per day)

As for not setting up a long term sustainable business model....we've said many times that you can make your feelings known with you wallet. When Disney feels a pinch, they will change things again.

Kevin, I completely agree with your post. Given this I am curious as to why you took it so seemingly personally when hydroflask changed their business model. Isn't it somewhat similar?

Kevin, I completely agree with your post. Given this I am curious as to why you took it so seemingly personally when hydroflask changed their business model. Isn't it somewhat similar?

Disney didn't suggest that they wouldn't sell you an annual pass.

HydroFlask won't sell me their product.

Exactly what I was trying to articulate Kevin

Kevin, everything you said is absolutely true, but at the same time, I can see the other side. I am not usually one of the folks complaining about price hikes but something about this one just feels different to me. It feels like it's part of an ongoing process that is steadily altering the guest experience. You are totally correct that we all need to vote with our wallets, but as you well know, many of us have an emotional connection to Disney that runs far deeper than what supermarket we shop at or what brand of clothing we buy. Disney is part of who we are. So many of our lives really revolve around Disney: vacations, clothing, home decor, movies, video games, live theater, fundraising involvement, even employment in some cases. It isn't so easy to just say, "I'm done with Disney" and move on.

Ultimately, though, the bottom line is exactly what you said it is. If you no longer feel the price is worth paying then don't pay it. It's just really sad that people are being pushed to make that decision about something like Disney.

many of us have an emotional connection to Disney that runs far deeper than what supermarket we shop at or what brand of clothing we buy. Disney is part of who we are. So many of our lives really revolve around Disney: vacations, clothing, home decor, movies, video games, live theater, fundraising involvement, even employment in some cases. It isn't so easy to just say, "I'm done with Disney" and move on.

I think this is the crux of the whole thing.

Disney wants us to be emotionally involved. Everything they do is aimed at tugging at our hearts. Wishes, dreams, remember the magic etc...

The problem is that Disney is selling loyalty and emotion, but their decisions are business / profit driven. Emotion is not involved or considered.

It's difficult to reconcile and feels like Disney doesn't care....and I have some bad news....Disney (the company...not individuals) doesn't care, They are profit driven and decisions are made to increase that profit.

I also believe that Disney feels that they have a strong enough hold, that most of us aren't going anywhere.

Many people say there is a tipping point, but it reminds me of what people used to say about buying cigarettes...once they hit $X.XX dollars a pack, I'm going to quit.

We all know how that works most of the time. The tipping point moves.

Honestly if the state of affairs with Disney's parks bother you, stop going. It's really as easy as it sounds.

I personally haven't stepped foot in the parks for two years because I am not into what they are doing at the moment. I put money into what I want and enjoy. What I don't want is diminishing perks and experiences, even more DVC before the promises of new attractions in maybe 8 years... all for higher prices. It's all a luxury and a choice, and if the thought of paying the higher prices for the product offered causes you to bat an eye... Just don't buy in and do something else.

Universal has not given me cause for any such annoyances, in fact it's the opposite...so I keep renewing that pass each year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter