Do you tip contractors?

I've never tipped anyone who does work around my house. Also, I had never even heard of providing lunch, drinks and snacks to workers until I read about on the DIS. Perhaps it's a regional thing? I don't know of anyone in my area who has done that. A couple of years ago, I had a guy spend two days installing a shower. He had his own cooler in his van. He always kept a bottle of water on the bathroom counter. When it was time for lunch, he would tell me he was going to take his break. One time he left and came back. Another time he sat in his van and was eating something. It would never have occurred to me to offer him food or water, nor do I think he expected it. I once had a team of landscapers totally redesigning our front yard. The owner of the company dropped them off in the mornings. They kept a cooler in the shade on the porch and would periodically get water and sodas. At lunchtime, the owner brought them food. One day it was a huge bag of burritos. Another day he brought them pizza. There was no expectation that I would feed them. At the end of the job, the owner did a walk-around with me to make sure I was good with the work they did. After that, he asked if I would mind if he gave his workers a beer! I said sure, no problem. They sat around the yard and each drank a bottle before loading up their equipment and leaving. The owner is a friend and neighbor of my parents, so I know him quite well. I don't know if he passes out beer in everyone's yard, or just mine since we know each other. They certainly deserved it!

Also, I had never even heard of providing lunch, drinks and snacks to workers until I read about on the DIS. Perhaps it's a regional thing? I don't know of anyone in my area who has done that.

Never provided lunch, just cookies and bottled water. These folks were working in my house on almost a daily basis from October 2013 until May 2014, so we kind of got to know them.
Worked on one bathroom for about 3 weeks, the second bathroom for about 3 weeks (with breaks for Thanksgiving and Christmas in there. About 9 weeks on the kitchen, and another 2 weeks putting in the laminate flooring (1500 square feet worth, after tearing about a similar amount of carpet and padding).

Never provided lunch, just cookies and bottled water. These folks were working in my house on almost a daily basis from October 2013 until May 2014, so we kind of got to know them.
Worked on one bathroom for about 3 weeks, the second bathroom for about 3 weeks (with breaks for Thanksgiving and Christmas in there. About 9 weeks on the kitchen, and another 2 weeks putting in the laminate flooring (1500 square feet worth, after tearing about a similar amount of carpet and padding).
2 weeks? Were they all working with one arm tied behind their backs? That's 3 days work - max. (Taking out the old carpet shouldn't have taken 2 guys more than a couple of hours.) :confused3

2 weeks? Were they all working with one arm tied behind their backs? That's 3 days work - max. (Taking out the old carpet shouldn't have taken 2 guys more than a couple of hours.) :confused3
Yes, you are correct. But I was paying a flat rate less than the Shaw dealer wanted, not hourly for the install.
They did it themselves, instead of sub-contracting it to the Shaw dealer they had 1 guy do it all. They did lose over a day in there having to remove some mis-tinted planks that had to be replaced. And once it was in, they discovered there were 45 mis-tinted plants. They turned it over to Shaw who came in and redid 600 square feet of it under warranty.
My project manager was talking to the Shaw guy, and the Shaw guy said it was a 2 day project, max. But Shaw comes in with 6 guys, and how they work at measuring, cutting and installing is amazing. My contractor now has Shaw do anything over about 400 square feet.

Shaw would have charged 96 hours labor for the job (6 men, times 16 hours each), my contractor ended up paying 80 hours to one guy, so one guy was still cheaper, just took 5 times as long.

Yes, you are correct. But I was paying a flat rate less than the Shaw dealer wanted, not hourly for the install.
They did it themselves, instead of sub-contracting it to the Shaw dealer they had 1 guy do it all. They did lose over a day in there having to remove some mis-tinted planks that had to be replaced. And once it was in, they discovered there were 45 mis-tinted plants. They turned it over to Shaw who came in and redid 600 square feet of it under warranty.
My project manager was talking to the Shaw guy, and the Shaw guy said it was a 2 day project, max. But Shaw comes in with 6 guys, and how they work at measuring, cutting and installing is amazing. My contractor now has Shaw do anything over about 400 square feet.

Shaw would have charged 96 hours labor for the job (6 men, times 16 hours each), my contractor ended up paying 80 hours to one guy, so one guy was still cheaper, just took 5 times as long.
Understood. We did a full cosmetic reno on our entire place in 18 days - floors, paint, cabinet installation, finish carpentry, bathroom tile, bath hardware and light fixture replacement. Sometimes time is money.

Understood. We did a full cosmetic reno on our entire place in 18 days - floors, paint, cabinet installation, finish carpentry, bathroom tile, bath hardware and light fixture replacement. Sometimes time is money.

There was a lot of down time as things like the counter tops and shower surround are Corian and all built to fit, so it was a week to 10 days from when they measured, for them to fabricate the counters and surround, and then come out and install. And they couldn't come out to measure until the cabinets were in, etc.

I think if you want to tip, then do it.
I had $20k worth of concrete work done. They guys were great. They always brought their own cooler filled with water. Once the job was finished and I paid, I handed them $50 extra to go and get lunch. They were appreciative.

We don't tip subcontractors but do ask if they want something to drink if they don't have anything. Any time we've used movers we tip them and provide drinks.

I've never tipped anyone who does work around my house. Also, I had never even heard of providing lunch, drinks and snacks to workers until I read about on the DIS. Perhaps it's a regional thing? I don't know of anyone in my area who has done that. A couple of years ago, I had a guy spend two days installing a shower. He had his own cooler in his van. He always kept a bottle of water on the bathroom counter. When it was time for lunch, he would tell me he was going to take his break. One time he left and came back. Another time he sat in his van and was eating something. It would never have occurred to me to offer him food or water, nor do I think he expected it. QUOTE]

I've never heard of it either until here. I've had a roof redone, a garage built and they all bring their own ice chest and their own lunch. I have never known a contractor/outside worker that didn't come prepared with drinks/food.

Yikes!!! Until I read that it was mostly one guy doing all that work, I thought "that's crazy that it took so long."

My parents' kitchen took about a month to redo everything, stripping everything down to the studs. A bathroom full gut and replace took maybe 10 days. The other bath just had the toilet and vanity/sink replaced; maybe 4 hours for that and another 1/2 hour for the new towel bars/toilet paper holder.

At least I didn't have to put in new flooring in the other rooms. They ripped up the w/w carpeting to expose pristine 40 year old hardwood floors. The family room had dark-stained random width planks.

Most of the time there were the same two (sometimes three) workers. Occasionally there would be a substitute, and a few times only one guy worked alone for the day or part of the day.

No, I wouldn't tip a contractor/sub-contractor, but as others have stated I would offer drinks (or maybe coffee based on tomorrows weather!).
A little off topic but I have a funny story about this. I wasn't a contractor at the time but working as electrician. Got sent to a place to put in a switch for a attic fan so they could shut it off in the winter, while I was working on it, the owner says, "when you're done we will go get a cup of coffee" not unusual for the people I work for so I said sure. Job finished, had coffee, boss sent him a bill, he calls boss and says "I made deal with your guy that I would buy him coffee for the work":confused3 Humm, I don't remember that in the conversation, oh well let it slide, next time guy calls, I go to apartment, he wants to know if I want to get coffee! Ah no I have coffee in the truck! Charged him extra the second time.:thumbsup2 He was a cheapskate anyway and had the money so it wasn't as if he couldn't afford it.

Spin off question but wondering what most of you would do.

I ordered new bedroom furniture (including a bunk bed) for my daughter for Christmas. I paid extra for delivery that also includes them setting everything up. But it was only $50 so worth it. Wondering if I should tip? Was thinking maybe $20 each? They are saving me a ton of time!

No, I would not usually tip. If they had to come back and I asked for something extra, then yes.

Being an electrician's wife, tips are also a great bonus but never expected.

For those offering water to your contractors, that is HUGE! It doesn't have to be a hot day for them to need water and even if they brought some, it is easy to run out and/or getting something ice cold feels really nice. I took DH and an other electrician popsicles this summer and those were a huge hit too. Thank you to those you going above and beyond taking care the tradesmen & women!

Spin off question but wondering what most of you would do.

I ordered new bedroom furniture (including a bunk bed) for my daughter for Christmas. I paid extra for delivery that also includes them setting everything up. But it was only $50 so worth it. Wondering if I should tip? Was thinking maybe $20 each? They are saving me a ton of time!

Yes I would tip....as long as they were nice, did a great job and cleaned up the mess they made.

For those offering water to your contractors, that is HUGE! It doesn't have to be a hot day for them to need water and even if they brought some, it is easy to run out and/or getting something ice cold feels really nice.
The thing is a case of water from Walmart/Costco is incredibly affordable for a gesture.

The ice cost more than the water... but makes a huge difference to the taste. Another option is stuck the bottled water in the freezer a few hours before they arrive. Half frozen, it will thaw gradually outside.

Just want to make sure that guy working on the ladder doesn't get heatstroke.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter