Do you tip contractors?

PlutoPony

DIS Veteran
Getting exterior doors installed by a Lowes contractor. We paid Lowes for the doors + installation, so these guys are being compensated by Lowes. It's expected to be a whole day (or more) adventure. Do you tip contractors like this? My guess is no but it's been a long time since was in this situation...
TIA

I run sub-trades in and out of houses all day long - anybody associated with our company is prohibited from accepting cash tips. These guys are also experienced professionals and may be making more money than the customers they're servicing - a tip is not expected or required.

Unless they are doing something extra on the side, no, I would not tip Lowes.

We recently did tip the 4 guys who installed carpet in our entire house.

We asked them if they would be willing to help my DH move the piano back into the room. They also helped my dh move the grandfather clock and our headboard back on our bed.

We gave them 40 each gladly. They were professional, helpful, and they did a good job.

It took us awhile to find a place to get carpet and DH went ten rounds with Home Depot, but that is another story, lol.

Unless they are doing something extra on the side, no, I would not tip Lowes.

We recently did tip the 4 guys who installed carpet in our entire house.

We asked them if they would be willing to help my DH move the piano back into the room. They also helped my dh move the grandfather clock and our headboard back on our bed.

We gave them 40 each gladly. They were professional, helpful, and they did a good job.

It took us awhile to find a place to get carpet and DH went ten rounds with Home Depot, but that is another story, lol.
Interesting you mention that...our guys are always happy to help (no tip required) but it's actually codified in our company policies that nobody TOUCHES a piano...doing so in the past has almost inevitably led to the customer complaining that it was knocked out of tune and wanting compensation.

Interesting you mention that...our guys are always happy to help (no tip required) but it's actually codified in our company policies that nobody TOUCHES a piano...doing so in the past has almost inevitably led to the customer complaining that it was knocked out of tune and wanting compensation.

The reality is that offering cash to do it as a "side job" happens.

We already had the piano in the kitchen and they were helping my dh move it back.

Last edited:
Usually not. Unless they do something extra that wasn't in the contract. While remodeling my parents' kitchen, I asked them if they would hang up one of the old cabinets in the laundry room. No problem. It took them perhaps 15 minutes and I gave both guys $20 each.

During the hot summer months we had windows installed over 2 days....
  • Unlimited supply of bottled water in a ice chest cooler. They could use the mall bathroom 5 minute drive away.
  • For lunch.... I picked up a bucket of KFC fried chicken.

During the hot summer months we had windows installed over 2 days....
  • Unlimited supply of bottled water in a ice chest cooler. They could use the mall bathroom 5 minute drive away.
  • For lunch.... I picked up a bucket of KFC fried chicken.

You didn't let them use your bathroom? I didn't think about that but I don't think I'd have a problem letting them using my bathroom. Well, I might right now because I only have one and wouldn't want a parade of people in and out of it all day long.

A family member had cancer.... they needed the single bathroom at anytime with no notice. The mall was just down the street and offered multiple bathroom stalls for their simulataneous upload.

No, I wouldn't tip a contractor/sub-contractor, but as others have stated I would offer drinks (or maybe coffee based on tomorrows weather!).

I wouldn't tip unless they did something above and beyond. but they could use my loo and kitchen for breaks.

No tip unless you ask for an extra outside of contract. Yep feed & water them.

You do know that the contract you bought included the installation so you are paying them. Lowes is merely the conduit of payment.

You do know that the contract you bought included the installation so you are paying them. Lowes is merely the conduit of payment.

Yes, that's why I mentioned compensation was from Lowes. Installation was a separate line item on quote, that allowed us to cross shop the doors themselves.
The contractor actually came to the house to measure before we ordered the doors and paid $. So I talked to him extensively about what was involved, etc.

BTW, the doors are a national name brand with an excellent rep. The Lowes door quote was less than HALF the quote for the exact same thing (based on manufacturer part numbers) from the manufacturer's regional warehouse/installation firm. HUGE savings from Lowes, hoping installation is solid (contractor rep is very good, I checked). This is the first time we've used Lowes for something like this

I run sub-trades in and out of houses all day long - anybody associated with our company is prohibited from accepting cash tips. These guys are also experienced professionals and may be making more money than the customers they're servicing - a tip is not expected or required.

Exactly. Somebody making $35+ an hour does not need a tip. I did a complete remodel last year, and we always had cold bottled water available and (except for the 6 weeks of the 7 months that the kitchen was out of commission), my wife made home made cookies every Friday for the contractors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter