Do you think there is ANY chance at all that Mission Space...

"NO!!! This isn't even close! This is a first. No ride system like this has ever been built before. This is new. Imagine military grade."
Testtrack321

Military/NASA does have simulated weightlessness. They don't call it "vomit-comet" for nothing.

From what I've read here, I don't think I can go on this ride even dosed up with motionsickness meds.

By the way, have enjoyed reading the news/rumors boards! (My first post here)

Sharon

This might be new to theme parks but NASA has been using this same type of equipment for a number of years to test and train astronauts. I know that serveral other companies also uses the simulators but I can't find the link to the companies website right now. I've seen it on these boards before.

Just tonite one of the movie channels had "Space Cowboys." The few minutes I saw showed Clint Eastwood and Tommy Lee Jones spinning in one of these things; it made me realize the "outside of a fan" thing you are all talking about. It looked scary! The actors in the movie got knocked unconscious by this thing going so fast -- now THERE'S a ride!

We'll be there in June. I'll keep my eyes open for soft openings.
While I'm going to give this ride a shot, I just don't understand why anyone would build a ride/attraction guaranteed to make people toss their cookies. I wouldn't want to be a CM on this one for anything. :rolleyes:

There are a couple reasons I don't think you will have to worry about people getting sick on this ride.
1. the ride will be producing positive g's meaning that everything (including your "chicken fingers") will be getting shoved down into your socks!

2. The ride will be totally enclosed, you will not "see" the movement. Most people get sick on motion simulators because they feel as if they are moving when in reality they are barely moving. Mind over Matter.

I am no expert but this just my two cents worth on the subject. Of course I am also an adrenaline junkie too!

The g-forces will be against your back and the cabin will be enclosed. You will "see" through sseveral computer monitors placed in front of your seat.

There is a second kind of motion sickness which is caused by movement when uneven forces changes flow patterns in your inner ear (which is why people can get car sick while looking out the windows). There are whispers this may be the big problem with 'Mission: Space'. They hint the arms holding the pods are too short, which requires a higher spin rate to produce the same effects.

The basic mechanism of the ride is used to train pilots. But this is a group of people how either don't have motion sickness problems (or they quickly become ex-pilots) or spend enough time around these things to adapt. Mable Q. Tourist for Cleveland is neither and is more likely to suffer unpleasant effects.

I saw a segment on our local news where a reporter went to one of the military training sites. At this particular site, they subject the pilot to conditions more extreme than what they would likely ever ecounter in the real thing, and many of them do black out.

The reporter tried it, but was given the option of "tapping out", which she did rather quickly.

I'm sure attempts have been made to adapt this attraction to make it theme park friendly, vs. how the military and NASA uses them. Balance the attempt to simulate something that a lay-person thinks might be like a real space flight with the need to keep EVERYONE over x inches tall from passing out or losing lunch.

Only time will tell how successful they are.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter