Do You think DISNEY has gone down hlll the last few years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It always makes me laugh when people here complain about Disney making a buck. If they didn't make that buck, then they may have to close and you won't be able to go 6-8 times a year and complain about it. I'd bet there are a lot of people who would love to go once in their whole lifetime and have a great time regardless...Brazilian tour groups and all...

Nobody expects to go for free but they arent anywhere even close to get closed, infact they invest lots of money in new hotels and this alone speaks a lot about their supposably bad business. What we execpt however, is to get a fair value for what we pay for. Is it really that weird? You cannot expect to decrease value, increase price and not to have people dissapoined.

I appreciate you not blasting me, though I'm not sure why you would have anyway on an Internet discussion board???

But I have read all 163 pages. I don't think I've missed any mark. I just don't think you liked what I said, and that's fine :)

P.S. - you're boys from Ohio state just ruined my bracket...thanks a lot! ;)

That's why I'm pretty grumpy right now. Tressel blowing up with the football program and now the basketball team choking down the stretch and killing my bracket as well. Gosh it's so hard being a Buckeye, Cavalier, Browns and Indians fan. :lmao:

That's why I'm pretty grumpy right now. Tressel blowing up with the football program and now the basketball team choking down the stretch and killing my bracket as well. Gosh it's so hard being a Buckeye, Cavalier, Browns and Indians fan. :lmao:

I understand. When the Gators lose I'm the same way. :thumbsup2

I have spent many happy vacations at Disney World over the last 15 years, spending time in many of the moderate and premium resorts. On March 13 and 14th, we spent two nights at Port Orleans Riverside following a cruise. It's been about 4.5 years since I was at Disney, and I have to say I was horrified with the state of the room. First, the $40 charge for a king bed (it was our honeymoon, what can I say). It started with the internet not working, DH needed to connect for work. The outlet at the floor was nearly yanked out of the wall, no wonder it didn't work. The desk said the only thing they could do was send a tech out "tomorrow", that didn't work/help at all. Four calls later, I was speaking to a new "manager". She bordered on surly. I was getting so annoyed that I then stated, "and you know, this room is really looking shabby!" She says, "oh, now you're complaining about the room, too?" You bet I was. There was mold, stained grout and broken tile in the bathroom, grunge in the corners, the furniture was seriously knocked about (her response, (gasp) "our guests LOVE our decor!!!!"). Worn, chipped, gouged wood is not the decor I was looking for. I sat on the end of the bed and it sunk ominously, as if it had been used as a trampoline for a crowd of kids.

Dixie Landings was the first resort I stayed at in '96, and I truly loved it then. Unfortunately, the rooms did not appear to have been updated in all that time. We were eventually, grudgingly moved to another room, which was in a somewhat better state, but also old, old. We absolutely did not think the room worth the charge, and will not return there. I would not recommend a stay there to anyone.

I snapped a few pics with my cell phone and intended to write a letter or email when I returned home. When I googled for a name of a person to address, instead I found pages of recent reviews with similar experiences and a real lack of reasonable response from anyone at Disney. I didn't bother writing after seeing that, it seemed rather pointless. I wish I had looked at reviews prior to booking, but after spending so many vacations at Disney in the past and enjoying them, I didn't think it was something I needed to do.

Another odd thing was that a retired coworker stopped in to the office for a visit yesterday, and she reported that she had just returned from WDW, arriving for 4 days as we left. She stayed in Coronado Springs, and as we compared experiences, they were unfortunately similar. We are both feeling that if and when we visit WDW again, we will stay off site. We both enjoyed the parks we visited, but the rooms were a total downer.

Do you truly feel you're not getting fair value?

Matt, Let's use WDW's decision to go signature with Le'Cellier as an example. IMHO, they "tweaked" the menu and now they are gloating and promoting that they now offer Canadian AAA beef. Sorry WDW, it is still the same quality as USDA Choice. It's a whole lot of smoke they are blowing to try and get people to now pay a whole lot more for what was less weeks ago.

Another example is what they offer in concierge. The first time I went concierge back in 08 at the WL the spread was awesome. It was also excellent when we stayed at the YC in January 09. However in December 09 and again in Aug 2010 the offerings were much less and often they were not replaced when they ran out.

I understand food cost's, insurance cost's, labor cost's and many other cost's which are out of WDW's control will go up. But when they have to pass these cost's off to their customers don't cut back on the quality and services you have provided all these years. That's my whole point, make your money, but don't raise the cost and cut the quality.

Do you truly feel you're not getting fair value?

Matt-

Most people on this thread are disgruntled customers/guests who spend thousands of dollars to go to Disney. Most here on this thread love Disney but there are quite a few things that have been in the "decline" for the last few years to say the least.

I believe most people are sick and tired of raising pricing on buffets while taking more pricier food items off. For instance Boma, it was $26.99, 3 years ago now it's $35.99 plus tax and tip and if it's during a Holiday Pricing TIME add $4.00 on top of that, so now in essense you are talking $40.00! It's outrageous! Heck, I can get a better deal at the 5 star Shula restaurant at the Swan hotel. Further, the Holiday pricing, in my opinion is a way of gouging people. It's not just for the weekend holiday for instance 4th of July it's pretty much for the whole summer! Why do they do this because THEY CAN! They are nickel and diming their guests.

They are also cutting back tremendously on Concierge level food items and services and once again the prices are going up.

Same with strollers, price has doubled in 1 year.

CM's are just not as helpful, and pleasant as they were in the past.

Some major deluxe resorts need to be better maintained, and are not. The list can go on and on.

So, to answer your question, no I don't think the average consumer is getting a "fair" market value for goods and services at Walt Disney World.

brunetteprincess:

Yes, that's why I asked. I dont really play with hypotheticals. I only ask questions when i would like an answer.

And if you really read this thread as you claimed, you would already know the answer.
So I guess, you did not read it, as you could clearly see that this thread got nothing to do with some empty complains like ruined vacation over no towel animals.

Matt-

Most people on this thread are disgruntled customers/guests who spend thousands of dollars to go to Disney. Most here on this thread love Disney but there are quite a few things that have been in the "decline" for the last few years to say the least.

I believe most people are sick and tired of raising pricing on buffets while taking more pricier food items off. For instance Boma, it was $26.99, 3 years ago now it's $35.99 plus tax and tip and if it's during a Holiday Pricing TIME add $4.00 on top of that, so now in essense you are talking $40.00! It's outrageous! Heck, I can get a better deal at the 5 star Shula restaurant at the Swan hotel. Further, the Holiday pricing, in my opinion is a way of gouging people. It's not just for the weekend holiday for instance 4th of July it's pretty much for the whole summer! Why do they do this because THEY CAN! They are nickel and diming their guests.

First of all, comodity prices around the world have been skyrocketing, not to mention inflation. So it would seem logical that higher food prices would happen. I won't argue the holiday surcharge.

I've been to Shula's many times. Its a good steakhouse, but Im almost positive it isnt a 5 Star Restaurant. You cant compare. A hamburger at a theme park or ballgame, is going to be more than McDonalds. You know this going in.

Same with strollers, price has doubled in 1 year.

So dont rent your stroller there. There are many people in Orlando who will rent and deliver you a stroller far cheaper, and you would be supporting small Orlando businesses.

CM's are just not as helpful, and pleasant as they were in the past.

I dont know if we can say this as if it is true in all cases. In our experience (and we live in Orlando and go a few times a month), we've always had nothing but excellent interactions with cast members.

Some major deluxe resorts need to be better maintained, and are not. The list can go on and on.

This is kind of vauge. But if you're expecting to walk in to a Ritz Carlton, Intercontinental, or Waldorf Astoria when staying at a deluxe then yes you will be disappointed. But you should also know that going in.

So, to answer your question, no I don't think the average consumer is getting a "fair" market value for goods and services at Walt Disney World.

A price of a ticket (what, around $80?) gets you into the most popular tourist attraction in the world. You get access to 30+ attractions. You see not one, not two, but three parades (Celebrate, Move it, MSEP). You now get to see a state of the art laser show just before the largest fireworks display to ever be shown over the Magic Kingdom. Not to mention access to meet and greet with some of the most recognizable characters in the world.

I think if you go 6-8 times per year, then you are not the average consumer and probably dont view things the same way they do.
[brunetteprincess:

Sorry everyone got upset, it was a difference of opinion which I know makes me ripe for a drilling in today's faceless internet discussion boards. It wasnt directed at anyone personally.

And if you really read this thread as you claimed, you would already know the answer.
So I guess, you did not read it, as you could clearly see that this thread got nothing to do with some empty complains like ruined vacation over no towel animals.

And you, Kelly, have not read all of my responses. I clarified that it was more an overall response to all the similar threads such as this on the entire discussion board that keeps popping up. :)

And you, Kelly, have not read all of my responses. I clarified that it was more an overall response to all the similar threads such as this on the entire discussion board that keeps popping up. :)

I saw it and again, if you read this thread as you claim, you would know this thread is not similar to others. I suggest to read it and come back when you ready to not just generalize. Saying this as nicely as possible, you are not ready to particiate if you ask a question, being answered about 2000 times on this thread.

I saw it and again, if you read this thread as you claim, you would know this thread is not similar to others. I suggest to read it and come back when you ready to not just generalize. Saying this as nicely as possible, you are not ready to particiate if you ask a question, being answered about 2000 times on this thread.

haha. Ok, Kelly. Enjoy the rest of your evening! :)

Hi,

Just seen this thread. The last time I visited was 3 years ago, I was really disappointed as I had been so many times before and things were so different.

Below is the letter of complaint that I wrote to Disney on my return highlighting just some of the issues.

I am going back this October and I am just hoping that things have since improved. Maybe the recession had affected things when I visited last, that's the only reason I could think of.

Hi,

I have just recently come back from a 3 week trip to Orlando from 10th September - 1st October.

This was my 7th visit and I have been every year since 2001.

I have to say that the service and hospitality at the Disney parks and resorts has deteriorated substantially. Never in the whole 7 years that I have been visiting have I ever experienced such bad service and rude staff.

I would like to take this opportunity to list the bad experiences that I had while I was on holiday.

1. We visited Typhoon Lagoon and walked up the stairs to the Crush 'n' Gusher ride. At the top we were faced with a member of staff. He snatched the dingy out of our hands, slammed it down, pointed to it and told us to 'GET IN'. That was it. He didn't even tell us to hold on or anything! My Fiancee & I were gobsmacked and could not believe we had just been treated like that.

2. I went to the World of Disney store in Downtown Disney. I approached a female member of staff to ask her a question. She gave me a blank look and ran off to get her colleague. Basically she didn't speak a word of English so had not understood what I had said let alone been able to answer my question. Her badge said she was from China.

3. We booked dinner at Cinderellas Royal Table. My Fiancee had pre-ordered 2 white chocolate slippers for my birthday. When they came out they were milk chocolate. We told our server and he just wasn't interested. He said there was nothing he could do as they were pre-ordered. At the end of the meal we had to pay for the desserts regardless.

4. I approached a cast member who was stood in front of the castle taking photos. I asked her if she would mind taking a photo my family & I. She reluctantly agreed and snatched my camera out of my hand. After, she just basically threw it back at me and didn't say anything.

5. In Animal Kingdom we had lunch in Asia. We ordered honey chicken and some drinks. I was waiting for our order when the lady behind the counter handed me just the food. I waited for a few minutes expecting our drinks to be served. I then realised that they had obviously forgotton. I asked about our missing drinks and had to wait a bit longer. I was then given them without a smile or an apology. Not a word was said!

Point 5 was a very common occurance. We would frequently visit food stands and be met with rude staff. I am used to being greeted with a smile and left with 'Have a nice day'. Things this time round were very very different. In general the staff were not as friendly or as helpful as they have been in my past visits.

I also think it is absolutely disgusting that Disney are now employing members of staff that don't even have basic English language skills. How are these staff members meant to meet the needs of the general public when they can't even communicate with them?

I am extremely dissappointed in the degredation of the service which has put me off from ever visiting Disney again. I have spent thousands of pounds visiting Disney over the years, and to travel on a plane for 9 and a half hours to be treated with such distain is a waste of my time and money.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Angela Thomson

Several months ago I held a door open for a lady and she responded by saying, "I'm more than capable of getting my own door a*#hole." Yep her words exactly. :scared1:

I think my husband would have let the door shut on her!! :scared1:

Hi,

Just seen this thread. The last time I visited was 3 years ago, I was really disappointed as I had been so many times before and things were so different.

Below is the letter of complaint that I wrote to Disney on my return highlighting just some of the issues.

I am going back this October and I am just hoping that things have since improved. Maybe the recession had affected things when I visited last, that's the only reason I could think of.

Hi,

I have just recently come back from a 3 week trip to Orlando from 10th September - 1st October.

This was my 7th visit and I have been every year since 2001.

I have to say that the service and hospitality at the Disney parks and resorts has deteriorated substantially. Never in the whole 7 years that I have been visiting have I ever experienced such bad service and rude staff.

I would like to take this opportunity to list the bad experiences that I had while I was on holiday.

1. We visited Typhoon Lagoon and walked up the stairs to the Crush 'n' Gusher ride. At the top we were faced with a member of staff. He snatched the dingy out of our hands, slammed it down, pointed to it and told us to 'GET IN'. That was it. He didn't even tell us to hold on or anything! My Fiancee & I were gobsmacked and could not believe we had just been treated like that.

2. I went to the World of Disney store in Downtown Disney. I approached a female member of staff to ask her a question. She gave me a blank look and ran off to get her colleague. Basically she didn't speak a word of English so had not understood what I had said let alone been able to answer my question. Her badge said she was from China.

3. We booked dinner at Cinderellas Royal Table. My Fiancee had pre-ordered 2 white chocolate slippers for my birthday. When they came out they were milk chocolate. We told our server and he just wasn't interested. He said there was nothing he could do as they were pre-ordered. At the end of the meal we had to pay for the desserts regardless.

4. I approached a cast member who was stood in front of the castle taking photos. I asked her if she would mind taking a photo my family & I. She reluctantly agreed and snatched my camera out of my hand. After, she just basically threw it back at me and didn't say anything.

5. In Animal Kingdom we had lunch in Asia. We ordered honey chicken and some drinks. I was waiting for our order when the lady behind the counter handed me just the food. I waited for a few minutes expecting our drinks to be served. I then realised that they had obviously forgotton. I asked about our missing drinks and had to wait a bit longer. I was then given them without a smile or an apology. Not a word was said!

Point 5 was a very common occurance. We would frequently visit food stands and be met with rude staff. I am used to being greeted with a smile and left with 'Have a nice day'. Things this time round were very very different. In general the staff were not as friendly or as helpful as they have been in my past visits.

I also think it is absolutely disgusting that Disney are now employing members of staff that don't even have basic English language skills. How are these staff members meant to meet the needs of the general public when they can't even communicate with them?

I am extremely dissappointed in the degredation of the service which has put me off from ever visiting Disney again. I have spent thousands of pounds visiting Disney over the years, and to travel on a plane for 9 and a half hours to be treated with such distain is a waste of my time and money.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Angela Thomson

Did you get a response?

I haven't noticed a decline in Disney, but then again I stay off site, don't rent strollers, never been to a buffet, and usually don't talk to CM's. We just go to the parks and have a good time :)

I think my husband would have let the door shut on her!! :scared1:

Did you get a response?

I am wondering the same. :confused3

I have to say, we had a less than stellar stay at the Yacht club this past december while on our honeymoon.

While I won't go into detail, I wrote an email through DVC, received a phone call within two hours, and the gentleman I spoke with really went out of his way to accomodate us. Might be more becasue it was a DVC issue though ?

I was shocked at his level of concern.
I also expressed some other things we did not like while there (in disney in general).....

He tried to reassure me that all of the guests comments, complaints & concerns are addressed accordingly. I hope that is the case.

I am not one whose opinion on if it has gone downhill or not should carry much weight, as I have only been going since 2007.

BUT, one area I have found to be lacking severely, (ok, 2!) are
1)- The cleanliness of the bathrooms! EXPECIALLY at Epcot! DISGUSTING!:sick:
This past december they were just awful! Even DH commented and he wears the rose colored glasses more than I do!

2)- The overall knowledge of some CM'S! You ask them a basic question, and they give you the WRONG answer! If you are working at Bay lake tower for example, you should be able to tell me which floor to catch the walkway over to the CR is!

ON numerous occasions, just to test this theory, (as I have read it here before), we asked three or four CM's at HS the same question one day...and got four TOTALLY different answers. ONly one was even remotely close to being correct! :scared1:

Unacceptable!
Get it together disney.
I still love it more than anything though :love:

Hi everyone,

I've browsing through the posts on this thread, and I'm on the same page with you. I go to WDW every other year, once a year at the most. I love it, and I'm looking forward to taking my family there this year.

But

in the last two times I've gone I've noticed some small subtle changes that I haven't been happy about. The average family once in a lifetime trip isn't going to notice them, but we do. Here's my example: T-shirts, Last year I was in WDW and I bought two shirts, I got them home and within a month the seams were loosening to the point of making holes and one shrunk from an XL to like a large medium. That didn't use to happen...We're going in June, but I'm not buying a shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter