Do you take your DSLR on rides?

MinnieForMe

DIS Veteran
Hi:
I've heard mixed opinions. I'm not talking about taking pictures while on a coaster. I am talking about putting it in the bag and placing it in the compartment in front of me on the rides. Specifically, Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain and Splash Mountain (in a ziploc in the bag).

Yes, I take my DSLR on rides. Either around my neck so I can take pictures like you can see here.....

Everest1.jpg

or this one

Everest3.jpg

or I put my camera backpack down by my legs. I have taken it on Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Everest (obviously) and Rock & Roller coaster.

I don't know that I would put it in some kind of netting or such device on the ride itself.

I always took my Canon S3 on Disney rides ... usually I was taking pictures from the ride (unless the ride was too dark for it). I plan to take my new T2i on the rides when I next visit, too. I can see any reason why I wouldn't! :goodvibes

I've both kept it at my feet (strap around one foot) or stuffed it into the on-ride bag. No problems....

I've taken my T2i on amusement park rides (the Phoenix wooden coaster at Knoebel's Grove, among them) and it suffered no ill effects whatsoever.

I love taking pictures on rides!!! They are the best!!!

This is one of my favorite of my mom and my Aunt last Jan. :goodvibes

28jan32 by michellevw04, on Flickr

Bring it on the rides. If you want, you can buy a Pentax (K7 or K5) with a WR lens and you don't even have to worry about putting it away on the wet rides!!:thumbsup2:rotfl2:

Don't you start encouraging me to buy another camera! I'm too open to suggestions! LOL!

So, seriously, castmembers won't say anything if it's at my feet? I always thought they checked to see if items were placed in the netting.

If you are taking pictures on the ride do you have your camera in open view when you are getting on the ride or do you take it out of your bag once you are on the ride? I seem to remember having to put my Point and Shoot away last year in Busch Gardens on a ride because they didn't want the strap around my neck. I can't remember what ride it was! I can see the danger on some rides.

Yes, I take my DSLR on rides. Either around my neck so I can take pictures like you can see here.....

Everest1.jpg

or this one

Everest3.jpg

or I put my camera backpack down by my legs. I have taken it on Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Everest (obviously) and Rock & Roller coaster.

I don't know that I would put it in some kind of netting or such device on the ride itself.

Great pictures! I think I'd drop my camera on EE. I'm not a daredevil but always ride it with the kids. I have myself so braced not to hurt my back that I couldn't possibly take a picture.

Don't you start encouraging me to buy another camera! I'm too open to suggestions! LOL!

So, seriously, castmembers won't say anything if it's at my feet? I always thought they checked to see if items were placed in the netting.

If you are taking pictures on the ride do you have your camera in open view when you are getting on the ride or do you take it out of your bag once you are on the ride? I seem to remember having to put my Point and Shoot away last year in Busch Gardens on a ride because they didn't want the strap around my neck. I can't remember what ride it was! I can see the danger on some rides.

They are very picky at BG and do not allow things like cameras to be out during the ride. WDW allows it and allows bags at your feet.

They are very picky at BG and do not allow things like cameras to be out during the ride. WDW allows it and allows bags at your feet.

Yes. Disney rides are also relatively tame. Even RnR is a fairly smooth ride. I do as the others and if not using the camera on the ride (holding it firmly with the strap around my neck) put the camera in its bag and at my feet. I carry a backpack so I stick my legs through the straps and secure it between my calves. Never occurred to me that this could be a problem as long is it isn't rattling around loose or banging into or onto anything.

I've got a pretty big back pack style camera bag. I just sort of pin it with my legs to the front wall of the ride.

I have looped my hand through it or whatever if I feel overly worried (like on the RnR loops).

I have NEVER had a cast member sqwuak about having a camera out or the bag at my feet.

Beware on RnR, not to have the camera up to your eye when you take off. It HURTS!!!!!

Lol, that is one ride I have the camera in the backpack. I take it you talk from experience. To be honest, had I knocked my head with my camera the first thing I would be checking when I got off would be the camer. Head later ....

Nope - not any more. I broke a camera last year on one of the rides.:confused3 The viewfinder was cracked and something rattled inside the camera. Now the nifty little point & shoot goes on the rides. The big camera stays home unless I'm just going to walk around and take pictures.

Karen

Nope - not any more. I broke a camera last year on one of the rides.:confused3 The viewfinder was cracked and something rattled inside the camera. Now the nifty little point & shoot goes on the rides. The big camera stays home unless I'm just going to walk around and take pictures.

Karen

Oh no! How did that happen and what ride were you one? Did is bash against something?

I'm a little surprised that WDW is so lax with taking items on rides. I'm glad as Ive taken several on ride pictures there but I'm used to the local parks by us in NJ that are very strict about bringing anything on a ride.

I think it depends if the person is responsible to hold on to something while riding. Ive seen cameras and cell phones come flying off rides so obviously not everyone exercises safety when doing it. Once had a cell phone land with maybe 10 feet of me. :scared1:

i take my camera with me on all rides it does not ever leave my side unless some one in out party is not going on the ride and will watch our stuff

Couple of years ago we were at the local Six Flags park....there was a roller coaster ride where essentially you go straight up, stop and hold in the vertical position, then fall back through a loop and hold at the other side in the vertical position but looking down.

When we were locked in the vertical position looking down, I heard a loud explative behind me and then something went whizzing past my head. It was the guy behind me's cell phone. We were held there long enough that I could watch it fall the whole way and shatter into millions of little pieces when it struck the ground.

Couple of years ago we were at the local Six Flags park....there was a roller coaster ride where essentially you go straight up, stop and hold in the vertical position, then fall back through a loop and hold at the other side in the vertical position but looking down.

When we were locked in the vertical position looking down, I heard a loud explative behind me and then something went whizzing past my head. It was the guy behind me's cell phone. We were held there long enough that I could watch it fall the whole way and shatter into millions of little pieces when it struck the ground.

The question is: Did you get a picture of it?:rotfl2:

Oh no! How did that happen and what ride were you one? Did is bash against something?

I think it was Primeval Whirl. It was my backup camera, but I love the little Nikon S8000 point & shoot that I now take to the parks. Its got a 10x zoom & the pictures are terrific. It's chunky for a point & shoot but I found a padded case that fits nicely in my purse or on a belt.

Karen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter