Do you take a break from coloring your hair in the Summer?

wishesuponastar

DIS Veteran
I did this Summer because I thought the chlorine from the pool would wash out my blonde highlights. Now I have a lot of gray roots but I'm going to get my hair done the end of August. Forgot to say I've saved $95 by not getting it done.

Last edited:
Chlorine cannot wash out blonde highlights. They are done with bleach and cannotvwash out. It can give them a green tint. I NEVER take a break from coloring because I HATE dark roots.

I have strawberry blonde hair and notice that the roots seem to show even more in the summer so no break for me.

Luckily, I color my own hair so only spend about $8 to do it. Funny, but I have never had it professionally colored. Since it is pretty much my natural color, every hair dresser I have ever gone to has said for my color and hair even they wouldn't pay to have them do it.

I think if I had to pay $95, I would then take the summer off.

I have coloured my hair for almost two decades now, after turning prematurely gray following brain surgery in the late 90's. We swim usually 5 times a week, year round (we have a Y membership) and the chlorine has never affected my hair. My hair is very dark, and my shiny silvery roots are very, very noticeable. I pay $70 to my stylist for a cut and colour (I have long hair, so the at-home colour kits are not an option....way too messy, and way too hard to get proper coverage) but I never resent the amount spent.

I kind of do that but wait until a few days before our vacation in August to do a whole coloring. I do however use a root coloring kit and just do around the frame of my face where the grey is most noticeable in the meantime. Luckily have found some good at home kits so I never spend much on coloring my hair.

Nope. I just saw my stylist in mid-July, although it had been the end of March when I last saw her so it was in desperate need of her touch. I get highlights and color though.

Last edited:

I actually make sure to go in the summer because I like fresh looking hair for the summer. I just went 3 weeks ago but no highlights. I went all one color but my old highlights still pop out.

I do, but only because I'm a teacher so I don't care what I look like in the summer -- ha ha!! It saves me money.

No. I seem to need to color it more often in the summer, actually. It's cheap for me, though. I buy the stuff at Sally's and do it myself, including highlights. I have long hair (middle of my back) but you only touch up the roots so it's no different than if your hair is short. The highlights stay a long time, even when you color over them.

ETA: I have to do this as my hair is very gray at this point. I don't just have a few gray strands!

I color my naturally dark blonde with grey a moderate shade of red. Rather, I have my stylist handle it. It's been this color about 25 years. As soon as the tiniest bit of grey roots start showing, I get in ASAP. It's like chipped polish. I just can't look at it. I feel like I am poorly groomed. At 46, I feel like I have to hang on to every shred of grooming I have (even when I am on holiday).

I have taken a break from coloring my hair for the last 20 years! When I was young I had pink hair, green hair, pillarbox red...I black hair, I had a "Hide-a-Hawk". Now I let the grey shine and other women call me brave. Ha! Lazy is more like it. I know I would look younger if I dyed my hair it's natural brown, but I like how I look. My hairdresser tries to tempt me every time I get my hair cut!

No, not in the summer.

Summertime is when I'm in the most family pictures (10 day WDW trips). I make a scrapbook of our trip every year and I want to look my best!

I have taken a break from coloring my hair for the last 20 years! When I was young I had pink hair, green hair, pillarbox red...I black hair, I had a "Hide-a-Hawk". Now I let the grey shine and other women call me brave. Ha! Lazy is more like it. I know I would look younger if I dyed my hair it's natural brown, but I like how I look. My hairdresser tries to tempt me every time I get my hair cut!
Good for you! I keep toying with the idea, but I'm an older mom with kids and...well, I don't know. I guess I just don't want my kids to be embarrassed about having an old mom (I could be their grandma)! I don't know how I'd look with gray hair. I love that beautiful silver that some people rock but I don't know that mine would be pretty. It's funny you mention all the different colors your hair has been, because I've been toying with the idea of going for something wild like that. I turn 60 in January and thought it might be fun to do purple or blue and then let it go to gray (unless I decide the colors are more fun).

nope...not ready to enjoy all those gray hairs that are starting to pop up..... I use the 'temp' haircolor that's supposed to last 28 washings (it lasts about 14) and non sulfate shampoos... my hair is very dark,so grays look...not good. and the temp color works well b/c I have to color often anyway no matter what I use,(even salon color) -once in a while I will use the box root touch up, but that doesnt seem to last.....

Can i even tell you? OMG. I decide this spring that I'm done with coloring. No more - natural color it is! ok, great! uhhhhh, wait, what's that ? A grey hair? yea, i'm done. back to coloring it is. I do my own tho, have for years (more than I'm willing to admit!) I went to a blue black this time & i like it a lot -

I'm a teacher - so I take a break from everything in the summer -including coloring my hair. My hair is bayalage - so I can get away with an extra month or two. Plus, I wear it up pretty much all summer, so it makes no difference.

Headin' back to the salon in two weeks to get ready for the fall!

Last year I held a rabbit and broke out a rash. I never had any allergies or sensitivities ever I've even owned angora sweaters with no issues but Its been all down hill Since holding that rabbit. Soon after I had problems with a soap I bought then a diiferent soap and then a shampoo, then last time I dyed my hair I spent days and days scratching my scalp and neck. It was making me nuts. It got better and better as the color grew out. So I've decided to skip coloring my hair for now. I'm super grey so I'm not happy about it but I'm choosing my sanity over my looks.

Good for you! I keep toying with the idea, but I'm an older mom with kids and...well, I don't know. I guess I just don't want my kids to be embarrassed about having an old mom (I could be their grandma)! I don't know how I'd look with gray hair. I love that beautiful silver that some people rock but I don't know that mine would be pretty. It's funny you mention all the different colors your hair has been, because I've been toying with the idea of going for something wild like that. I turn 60 in January and thought it might be fun to do purple or blue and then let it go to gray (unless I decide the colors are more fun).

I am an older mom too. I wondered how I would behave when my girl started school and people called me grandma! So far no one has, and I won't care if they do now. I've often thought of getting some crazy colored dye and going nuts, since the nice young people at Hot Topic tell me the dye would look GREAT on all my grey! My job is too public right now, but I'm still mulling it over.

I don't judge women who dye at ALL. You've got to do what makes YOU happy. I could wake up tomorrow and head to the store for a box of Clairol. Hmmmmmm...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter