Do you read/comment on DIS while at work?

Yes, I do. I'm on a computer all day at work, on the Internet for various things, and all I can say is that if people haven't been fired for being on the 'net by now, they probably won't be. There are people who literally are online ALL day!

My old job all the time. I had time for it and open internet access. Thats when I found th dis about 4 yrs ago when planning my first WDW trip. My new job I don't have time for it, plus I don't have internet access.

I sometimes do, but from my phone (on 3G, not on Wifi) because my job has the computers locked down to visit ONLY the website where we do our charting. We don't have any internet access beyond that.

During my shift, as long as my work is complete, I can watch tv, read, etc. as I choose, but I am still on alert and ready to jump into action of need be. Those are the times when I play with my phone, check facebook, play words with friends, look at the DIS, etc. This is especially true the nights I work third shift...the residents are asleep when I arrive and for the first 7 hours of my shift I simply have to be awake and alert and complete about one hours worth of housekeeping tasks. I do make up for it during the last three hours of the shift when things are very hectic, busy and demanding.

I am required to monitor Facebook, Twitter and other social media sights like DIS for potential news stories.

Yes. But my job requires me to be online facebook/twitter. I do a lot of large file uploads that I have to wait for & will read then. I have 2 machines so I'll "surf" on the other while waiting for the upload, which I can't leave unattended.

nope.. and shame on anyone that bilks their company while they do.

Be great to see them lose money out of their check and cry for all the time they blow on NOT working..

how hard is it to EARN your paycheck and work 8 hours..

nope.. and shame on anyone that bilks their company while they do.

Be great to see them lose money out of their check and cry for all the time they blow on NOT working..

how hard is it to EARN your paycheck and work 8 hours..

Scrooge is that you? McDuck that is. ;)

Sometimes. I am a knowledge worker in a creative field, so sometimes I need to let the "boys in the basement" (thanks to Stephen King) knock things around before I can solve a problem. When I need a mental break, sometimes Dis does it. Other times, I get up and go for a short walk.

Scrooge is that you? McDuck that is. ;)

Sorry that the concept of working a full shift without surfing the 'net is such a horrible thing.

There is a reason companies spend TONS of money to stop people that do waste even more money wasting time when they are being paid.

tell you what.

Give me one person here that would hit a check out counter and not complain if the person was doing something else but taking care of them at that point..

If you are surfing the net at work you are wasting your customers times.. Your companies time. You are being paid to NOT do your job.. that simple

Want to spin it anyway and you still lose. If you are on the clock and on the net for stuff not related to your job, you are stealing from them..

that simple.

Rarely. When I do it's only during one of the rare times I don't have to work through lunch.

Nope my company blocks all message boards and social media sites. But I used to on my lunch years ago when it wasn't blocked.

Sorry that the concept of working a full shift without surfing the 'net is such a horrible thing.

There is a reason companies spend TONS of money to stop people that do waste even more money wasting time when they are being paid.

tell you what.

Give me one person here that would hit a check out counter and not complain if the person was doing something else but taking care of them at that point..

If you are surfing the net at work you are wasting your customers times.. Your companies time. You are being paid to NOT do your job.. that simple

Want to spin it anyway and you still lose. If you are on the clock and on the net for stuff not related to your job, you are stealing from them..

that simple.

Clearly you have no idea of the variety of jobs that are out there. I can't surf the Internet at work other than on my lunch hour--90% of my day is providing therapy to kids, and besides, I put in so many "off the clock" hours, I would only be hurting myself. Most professional jobs are not "work hard for 8 hours" but rather "get these tasks done" propositions anyway.

On the other hand, I visit another forum that has a ton of IT guys who are sitting around waiting for someone to need them (like if the network crashes). If the boss doesn't care that they entertain themselves while they wait, how is it bilking the company?

Couldn't if I wanted to.

The only thing we can access, other than the internal system, is the JoAnn's website, and the JoAnn's employee portal website. Everything else is blocked.

I wouldn't have time anyway.

disneyfans95 said:

tell you what.

that simple.

And clearly you work at a boring, menial job where you do not have to think on your feet, put out fires, listen/care/commiserate to others, assist others in making life-changing decisions, and be mentally/emotionally exhausted at the end of the day. Sometimes a five to ten minute break to mentally relax is sorely needed and actually makes me a more productive worker. And I have never ignored a participant or not finished my work within timelines because I was on the web. Talk about black and white thinking - sheesh. I would bet you are in a management position where you are not we-liked by your employees! ;)

I usually dont have time. My day is half administrative and half working directly with kids. So the time I have for admin work is generally pretty busy with tasks I need to do. Luckily for me if I dont have a lot of admin work I can come in later so I am not sitting around with nothing to do. I might visit once every couple of weeks

the internet is blocked at my job (except for our company's website) but I use my phone app to DIS when it's slow at work:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter