Do you open your door?

java

<font color=darkorchid>I am embracing the Turkey B
For some reason a certain group has been coming to my door on a regular basis. I don't answer. They leave their info( which is in another language) in my door and leave. Several years ago I opened and said thanks but no thanks.

Guess we somehow turned up on the list again? Because now it is just us getting it. (our last name is of the decent that would speak the language) creeps me out that they are targeting us.

Don't know if it's better to answer or ignore. I wasn't dressed yet so I wasn't answering. But I am thinking I'm going to continue to ignore.

So do you open!

Never open my door to anyone I don't know. If DH is home he will , but during day we stay locked up tight . I rarely even will get up to see who it is as front door is all glass. Our neighbor will stop by sometimes without calling but that is only if he sees DH's truck home. We don't have kids in neighborhood, so no knocking kids for DS10. The religious groups normally hit us up on Saturday mornings but I see them coming as I am usually in kitchen and can see them park in front of neighborhood and spread out . I would love to get a sign that says no soliciting .. DH sleeps days alot and three barking dogs wake him.

I never open my door to anyone any longer. 100% of the time, someone is selling something. Can't stand it. If my neighbors were ever the "visiting" type, I might do something different. But no one ever comes to my door on a personal matter.

Plus, we often get "solicitors" selling magazines and other products that look like they are straight out of jail or some rehab. The time I have opened the door and engaged with them, and told them "no thanks", they either get very pushy or they have actually cried. To unstable for me.

Only if I know who it is. DH does more often than I do. But,it's my house and if I don't want to answer the door I don't have to. I know some people think it's rude, but I don't get that. Kind of like not answering the phone if I don't want to.

Yes I do..with my 4 big dogs right at my side...that normally scares them off.

No, I keep hearing about people dressed as the gas men, overtaking whoever answers the door, and robbing the house on the news. We live in a relatively safe area and a lot of these instances are pretty close to us.

In another instance, the housekeeper answered the door, they tied her up and beat an elderly lady to death.

I don't not care if it is rude, it is part of being safe. If someone is coming over, they should call first.

No, I keep hearing about people dressed as the gas men, overtaking whoever answers the door, and robbing the house on the news. We live in a relatively safe area and a lot of these instances are pretty close to us.

In another instance, the housekeeper answered the door, they tied her up and beat an elderly lady to death.

I don't not care if it is rude, it is part of being safe. If someone is coming over, they should call first.

Yes, but the dis people don't answer their phones it seems. :lmao:

I never ever open the door, I'm very anti-social, lol.

At my house, everyone we really know comes in through the backdoor, so if there is anyone at the front door, it's for 99% someone we don't want to talk to (salesman, stuff like that).

At my boyfriends' we have a videophone, I still don't open the front door.
Same story, everyone we know comes through the back.

Yes I do..with my 4 big dogs right at my side...that normally scares them off.

I have 3 and by the time a person gets to my door they can hear the dogs. Even my fed-ex UPS guys just leave the package and don't ring the bell.

Last week for the first time in forever we had a guy come to the door - dogs at my side I opened it and he was trying to sell me FiOS. I thought that was odd. Even odder was I didn't see any car?

We live in a hilly area where the houses are spaced apart so no real soliciting happening here.

I peek through the blinds to see who it is, but very seldom open the door to them. If kids in the neighborhood that I recognize ring my bell to sell candy, I'll usually buy something (I figure it's "protection money" -lol) but I won't open to religious soliciters any more. A few years ago, I politely listened to them and when they asked the question "Why do you think people more often do the "wrong" thing than the "right" thing?", I answered "Well, it's probably because the "wrong" thing is easier to do than the "right" thing." The woman immediately snapped, "No, that's not the answer." I informed her that she had asked me a question and I had answered her. If she didn't like my answer, well, the conversation was over and shut the door. Have you noticed that people who want you to listen to THEIR opinions very seldom want to hear YOUR opinions...? I'm so very tempted to tell them we're Satanists or snake worshippers and invite them into the house to see our altar, but I've resisted the temptation so far. One of these days, though, one of these days.....

I answer my phone without checking to see who's calling.

Unless I have a reason to worry, I also answer my door. (Yes, we have a dog, but she's 16 pounds... not exactly a huge threat.)

I have noticed more and more door to door salespeople over the last two years or so. I think it has to do with the fact that most people have caller id and don't answer sales calls anymore. I get a sprinkling of roofing/siding type people, but most of them are from the various cable companies. Cable competition is fierce around here; that's what the vast majority of my junk mail is, too. I don't open the door, but I will say to them "I'm not interested, thank you" through the door so they don't keep knocking. Heck, half the time, once I get home from work, I change into my comfy sweats, and I'm not fit to be seen, so I couldn't answer the door even if I wanted to.

The best one was last fall. It was a woman who had actually already opened my screen door, so there would have been no barrier between the two of us had I opened the door. I gave her my normal, "thanks, but I'm not interested" spiel, and she shot back with, "But you don't even know why I'm here. That's very rude!" Ummm, no---you opening my door on my property and taking up my time uninvited is very rude.

I have a theory about would-be robbers: They knock on the door to see if you are home. Therefore, I need to let them know that there are people in the house. I go to the front bedroom window which opens onto the front door (1 storey above) and tell the person at the door, "Sorry, not interested." I don't believe I compromise my personal safety this way.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I nearly always open the door. I realize it probably isn't a good idea, but I can't seem to help myself.

I did put a sign on the door for solicitors - the tree-trimming people and meat vendors were driving me insane. Lately it has been the religious ones. They came again this morning.

I should probably stop opening the door to just anybody - I think I'm way too trusting.

always.. 4 kids.. lots of neighborhood kids... someone is always knocking on my door for them.. usually they answer it before I do. If its not a kid they yell for me.. last week a meat guy was going door to door selling meat.. I wasn't interested so I told him we were all vegetarians.. :)

I have a theory about would-be robbers: They knock on the door to see if you are home. Therefore, I need to let them know that there are people in the house. I go to the front bedroom window which opens onto the front door (1 storey above) and tell the person at the door, "Sorry, not interested." I don't believe I compromise my personal safety this way.

I agree with this. When I'm home alone I always let them know someone's here but never open the door. I just say I'm not interested through the side windows. When I leave my kids home alone (even though they are teens) my parting words are always, "don't open the door for anyone."

Jaya said:
I peek through the blinds to see who it is, but very seldom open the door to them. If kids in the neighborhood that I recognize ring my bell to sell candy, I'll usually buy something (I figure it's "protection money" -lol) but I won't open to religious soliciters any more. A few years ago, I politely listened to them and when they asked the question "Why do you think people more often do the "wrong" thing than the "right" thing?", I answered "Well, it's probably because the "wrong" thing is easier to do than the "right" thing." The woman immediately snapped, "No, that's not the answer." I informed her that she had asked me a question and I had answered her. If she didn't like my answer, well, the conversation was over and shut the door. Have you noticed that people who want you to listen to THEIR opinions very seldom want to hear YOUR opinions...? I'm so very tempted to tell them we're Satanists or snake worshippers and invite them into the house to see our altar, but I've resisted the temptation so far. One of these days, though, one of these days.....

My aunt actually said that she was a Satanist when Jehova's Witnesses wouldn't leave her alone. She invited them inside, offered to explain to them her beliefs and that she was on the right path. They never knocked on her door again. :rotfl:

No way, I never open my door to ppl I dont know. Ever.

Funny enough, when someone rings our bell, my dog will bark like crazy (naturally). That scares them away half the time. I love it! Lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter