Do you open your door?

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by java, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Sheree Bobbins

Sheree Bobbins DIS Veteran

Once, on the wedding day of my son, I opened the door totally dressed up and looking good. You should have seen the startled expressions on the Jehovah Witness ladies. Not expected first thing Saturday morning. I knew it was them as I saw them coming down the street.

They asked me if I was going out! But I was very non-committal. You see, I know you never tell a stranger you're going to leave the house empty, even if they're disciples from God. I didn't say much to them but I did feel blessed to have religious visitors that day even though I wouldn't tell them of my son's wedding.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. aprilgail2

aprilgail2 Guest

If I don't open the door its because I know its a religious person- otherwise I open up the side door and talk to them over the fence. I have neighbors that just pop over to chat or friends/family that will stop by if they are in the neighborhood, I don't find it rude- I am glad they are comfortable enough with our friendship to feel free to pop over whenever.

4. Kathryn Merteuil

Kathryn Merteuil Barden Bella

I hide and pretend I'm not home.

5. brockash

brockash DIS Veteran

I never answer the door, unless I'm expecting someone. Honestly, it really annoys me when ppl. come to my door without me knowing ahead of time. I get that it sounds weird, but it does.

6. happygirl

happygirl DIS Veteran

Yes, I would be more afraid robbers would break in if they didn't think I was home. Plus I can't stand to hear people knocking on my door

7. mamamary

mamamary DIS Veteran

I never answer the door to people I don't know. I have a dog (lab) who sounds really tough. Luckily they can't see that he is wagging his tail like crazy.

8. MUFFYCAT

MUFFYCAT <marquee behavior=alternate><font color=deeppink>S

Run and hide!
    I made the mistake of answering the door to a group. From that one and only time they came back almost every Sunday for the next six months!

9. dakcp2001

dakcp2001 <font color=darkorchid>Am I wrong to want a cashie

I work nights and have a million signs on my door warning you not to knock. There is a plastic thing taped over my doorbell to prevent ringing. I now have signs all ver my back door because the people would go around back to knock. Unbelievable! So heaven help you if you ignore all that and still knock loud enough to wake me up. I promise you'll be more afraid of me than I am of you. And you get the sprinklers.

10. POOHsie

POOHsie DIS Veteran

Since I used to live in big cities I am in the habit of always having my door locked. Good thing. Here in my tiny WV town with no signal lights, the neighbors and friends show up uninvited and knock once, then turn the door knob to let themselves in! :eek:

11. hereyago

hereyago DIS Veteran

Yes. Well i leave the storm door locked. I want people to know i here with my German Shepard and any possible weapons i may have .

12. fairestoneofall

fairestoneofall DIS Veteran

i don't answer the door unless it's UPS, FedEx, USPS or one of the neighbor kids. our neighborhood is supposed to have a "no solicitation" policy, but that doesn't stop everyone.

i've thought about posting my paper from target practice on the door, to scare of any would-be bad guys. ;)

once my little dogs are gone, we plan to get a bigger dog. our Min Pins are both 15 years old and i think adding a puppy to the mix would be a bit much for them at this point.

13. snarlingcoyote

snarlingcoyote <font color=blue>I know people who live in really

I answer and randomly, variously tell them whatever. It helps that I have a friend is an ex-member of a religious group that does the door-to-doo thing and that she was very good at it. So I have an inside scoop on how they do things.

With that group, I now like to talk about my disfellowshipped friends and then point to various, uhm, things that might be considered inconsistencies in their faith. . .

It's kind of mean, but it's also kind of fun. I'm very, very nice and sweet and welcoming to them, because otherwise they get to chalk it up to being persecuted and feel smug.

14. Katlyn

Katlyn DIS Veteran

No I don't open mine unless I know who it is and I keep my doors locked which drives my sons crazy. I tell them they can knock or ring the bell like everyone else. We do have advance warning now when someone comes up the drive. We picked up a driveway alarm from Lowes and it beeps inside when a car pulls up. The beeping can be annoying but the peace of mind is worth it. No more surprises:thumbsup2

15. Rylee

Rylee DIS Veteran

No. Many years ago, my beautiful cousin was raped in her own home because she answered the door to a well-dressed, clean-cut looking salesman. It was late morning, her husband was at work, her 2 oldest children were at school, and her youngest daughter was home with her and she also had a couple of daycare kids in the house. This took place in a small lakeside town.

From the bay windows in our dining room, I can see the door, so I am able to peek out to see who it is or even speak to them from the window, if I choose to do so.

We also have a large dog, (110-120 lbs) and his barking is usually enough to make visitors quite nervous. Of course, they have no way of knowing his barking is his way of saying... :dogdance: OMG, I'm so excited you're here to play with me! C'mon in, I'll get my toys. :lmao:

16. Squeasel

Squeasel Earning My Ears

I usually don't open the door. We have gotten lots of religious people and landscapers knocking on the door in the past, despite living in a gated neighborhood with signs posted prohibiting soliciting. Usually the bark of the dogs will make people leave quickly. Sometimes my mailman is even scared to come to the door, he'll just slip the slip to sign right in the door without ringing the bell or knocking.

Before the election someone rang the bell, looking for the old owner. I answered it, not sure why. Scared this lady to death when the door opened to a 85 pound Doberman, she saw him before she saw me next to him with my hand on his collar. She left very quickly when I politely explained they no long lived here. Took off like a bat out of you know where. Only to run into my husband walking our female Doberman up the driveway. I actually felt bad for her. :rotfl:

17. afnaechiquita

afnaechiquita DIS Veteran

I live in a gated apartment complex, which uses a key fob to get into your respective elevator bank, then you swipe again on the elevator to get to your floor. So nobody ever comes to knock on my door that I wouldn't be expecting, except my landlord, and I never open for her unless it's a scheduled visit. She has a habit of trying to come and fix things at night, staying for hours, and just being ridiculous.

18. ilovepcot

ilovepcot <font color=purple>Caused the first ever Tag Fairy

Years ago we had a peeping tom and DH caught him in the act. From that point on, we've had ALL KINDS of surveillance equipment and now there are cameras to see who is at the door or lurking on our property. In fact, you can't even get on our property in FL. We had it enclosed behind a concrete wall. Property in NC is not enclosed but we do have cameras.

19. robinb

robinb DIS Veteran

I'm in the minority but I open my door when someone knocks/rings the bell. I am polite, say "no thank you" and then send them on their way. It's really not a big deal. I have never felt afraid or threatened ... even by the homeless man who came by to ask for a job. He was extremely polite and knew that I had a dog (my 110 lb Japanese Akita at the time). I live in a close knit neighborhood in a small city, though. If I lived in the boondocks I would probably be more cautious.

20. MIGrandma

MIGrandma Lives in the middle-of-the-mitten.

I do open the door sometimes to strangers during the day, and I know I probably shouldn't but we live in a rural low-crime (almost non-existant, thankfully) area and we get a lot of salesmen selling farm stuff so sometimes DH might be interested. Usually he is home when I answer the door though, but I have done it when I was home alone too.

The religious groups I just politely say we have our own beliefs and shut the door. I don't know why they keep coming.

Most of the time if I'm home alone I don't even bother to go see who is at the door though, especially if I didn't see the vehicle pull into the driveway.

21. lizabu

lizabu Disney Maniac

I open the door. Most of the time it's sales people which is annoying but I'm not going to not answer the door. I have a couple neighbours who don't answer the door. I knocked on one neighbours door to let them know their lights were on and they never answered. Another neighbour had his windows down and it was raining...no answer. Another time my kitchen was on fire and we are connected to the neighbours house...the fire department was on their way....no answer....ok then. I tried...what can I say?