Do you lose some of the "magic" off-site?

We stayed at Poly last Oct and are considering going back to Disney the week of June 7-15, 2014. We have found options for a family of 5 to be limited without spending a ton. DH mentioned looking at staying off-site but I'm afraid that we would lose some of the "magic". However, it looks like we could stay in a bigger place for much cheaper.

Thoughts?

my next trip is offseason and i found a deal as a timeshare owner for less than $200, tax included, for 7 nights in a super nice 2BR/2Bath villa...over 1000 sq ft. (that's less than $30 per night.)

stayed in the same resort last year - the interiors were beautiful (granite countertops and flat screen tvs) and it was only an 8 minute drive to the epcot parking lot.

now that exact deal is rarely available, but the savings can be significant for staying offsite. that pays for a lot of magic on the dining side...and allows for extra trips this year...

To us "Magic" is being able to send the kids off to their own bedrooms if they even think about bickering. We get one nice, expensive vacation a year and I can't imagine spending it crammed in a tiny room with ONE bathroom and kids grumping at each other. And honestly the trek to your car if you stay onsite is really bad. Offsite villas and townhomes usually have parking right in front of your home.

You lose the magic of being in a 314 square foot cynder block room (Disney Resorts are exempted from the Geneva Convention)

You lose the magic of waking early and not trying to wake anyone else, walking to the food court to haul back breakfast, so the family can sit around on (uncomfortable) beds

You lose the magic of walking a 1/4 mile to wait for a bus that's going where you want to go, and hoping there will be free seats for the kids

You lose the magic of wearing semi-wet swimsuits every evening

You lose the magic of eating the same food as served in the park

Private pools and lanais, fully stocked kitchens, multiple bathrooms with multiple showers, separate sleeping rooms (with doors), washer/dryer, wi-fi, parking at your door can never replace the magic

;)

Our stay at CSR is what prompted us to purchase Wyndham points!

We're considering staying at Staybridge suites LBV. My husband liked the idea of more space but then said, "But there's no theme..." :lmao:

I've had a variety of trips to WDW in my life, going as a child, a teen, a single adult with my sister, and now as a parent. Let me see if I can describe what I think you mean by focusing on my two recent trips I did since becoming a parent.

We went as a group of 7 in Dec 2009 (I was pregnant with our 4th and my parents came along). We stayed ON SITE, but in a Tree House Villa for 1 week. I actually consider this to be more like an offsite trip. We rented a car, and drove to get groceries, and from park to park. I used the buses a few times and found them very inconvenient compared to driving.... one night after Epcot closed and half our group had already left with the car, my Dad and I timed it and it took exactly an hour from us leaving the gate to the door of the villa using the buses. Another night we drove, and it was only about 15 minutes. That being said, it just didn't feel like "a Disney trip" that I experienced as child, fully immersed. We loved having the full kitchen, separate bedrooms, etc. There were definitely many many good things about it... it just wan't the same.

One year later, my mom and I took just my two older kids, who were 4 and 6 at the time and we got an awesome deal on a studio at BLT, and we ended up being upgraded to a 1BR, MK view. It was a steal, really. We only went for four days and only went to EP and MK. No car rental, on the dining plan. Didn't stay long enough to need to do laundry. It was an awesome trip and was really "Disney" to me.... fully immersed.... we could walk to MK... only ever did that or the monorail. We still had a kitchen but only used it for cereal for breakfast; didn't really need it... still had the separate rooms (Mom and I on king, boys on pull out couch in family room). Loved watching Wishes from the room. Mom and I said we totally ruined all future trips because nothing could ever live up to staying there. From the "Disney" standpoint, this trip was more what I prefer.

Fast forward now to 2013. We are trying to plan a trip for this fall/winter that will be my mom plus the 6 of us. There is no way we can afford BLT 2BR. I've read about renting points on the board and am not sure I feel comfortable doing that (the threads about renting at WBC seem more straightforward). Plus for BLT, I would think you have to book way ahead and I can't commit that early. If I stay anywhere except for BLT I would want to rent a car and just drive park to park because I really not happy taking the buses. So at that point, it is more like our THV trip... and then really, why not just stay at WBC for wayyyyy less. Which is likely what we will do.... we're still in the early planning stage.

But yeah, I do long for a fully immersed trip.... there IS something about it when it works out for your stay. I just have too big of a family, and at the end of the day, I think it's much better to have the space to spread out, separate bedrooms, extra bathrooms, kitchen, laundry, etc.

You lose the magic of being in a 314 square foot cynder block room (Disney Resorts are exempted from the Geneva Convention)

You lose the magic of waking early and not trying to wake anyone else, walking to the food court to haul back breakfast, so the family can sit around on (uncomfortable) beds

You lose the magic of walking a 1/4 mile to wait for a bus that's going where you want to go, and hoping there will be free seats for the kids

You lose the magic of wearing semi-wet swimsuits every evening

You lose the magic of eating the same food as served in the park

Private pools and lanais, fully stocked kitchens, multiple bathrooms with multiple showers, separate sleeping rooms (with doors), washer/dryer, wi-fi, parking at your door can never replace the magic

;)

:rotfl:

That actually sums up my kids' position. They were excited by the idea of staying onsite right until they saw the displayed Beach Club unit and realized how small it is. Then they started thinking of all the things they'd lose out, staying there...

I just have too big of a family, and at the end of the day, I think it's much better to have the space to spread out, separate bedrooms, extra bathrooms, kitchen, laundry, etc.

I think there are different kinds of magic. As demonstrated in that thread Gina linked to, the price of Disney magic changes substantially when you've got more kids/a larger party. Right now, we've got the magic (and the luxury) of being able to vacation with all our kids. :cool1:

In time to come, we'll be vacationing with one kid at a time or by our selves or with only a couple grandkids -- at that point, we'll have the magic of staying onsite... pixiedust: buuuuut miss the magic of more space, easier transportation, traveling with the tribe, and so on. IMHO, visiting Disney is magic, either way. :thumbsup2

Where ever you stay will have its own plus and minus on or off site. Try off site you may really like it. I don't see it as all one way or another. Sometimes we stay off site sometimes on site. All have been great vacations.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I think there are different kinds of magic.

Exactly...even amongst the immersed.

Being immersed in a suite at a Disney Deluxe is a lot different than being immersed at a Disney Value. And staying offsite in a chain motel is a lot different than offsite in a Disney-themed WH pool home.

As an avowed off-siter (since my initial on-site stay at CBR), I'd do mrsr2ro's BLT stay in a heartbeat - for the right price. But double what I pay for a pool home, van and parking isn't that price.

Don't think that there has ever been a trip where we have not been on-site for at least part of the trip. We have had the best of both worlds - Disney Villas either through my sister who owns DVC or a timeshare exchange into a week at a DVC. Usually we visit Disney with that sister and sometimes extended family. The last time my immediate family (3 kids now 14, 11 and 6) was all in one hotel room was a 3 night stay at Coronado Springs before my youngest turned 3. We got free dining and then moved over to AKLV Kidani for a family reunion. All 5 of us were in a studio there while the other family members had a 2 bedroom villa. We spent much of our non-sleeping/non park hours in their bigger unit. That trip we used Magical Express and did not rent a car and went to the parks almost every day. Typically we will have some days where we will just spend time at the resort and Downtown Disney and the outlet malls. Last summer's trip was only 4 nights on-site followed by a week at Marriott's Harbour Lake. We were at the Disney theme parks for the days we were on-site and visited Universal Studios, Typhoon Lagoon and spent time at the Marriott resort and outlets that last week. Contemplating another trip in early June. If we go it will have to mostly be off-site (I am thinking of Homewood Suites) and I might tack on 1 or 2 nights on-site Disney (either the Dolphin or POR) because my son can't miss the extra magic hours at night at the Magic Kingdom. On-site is just too pricey and I am trying to get excited about free breakfast and the extra space!

:rotfl:

That actually sums up my kids' position. They were excited by the idea of staying onsite right until they saw the displayed Beach Club unit and realized how small it is. Then they started thinking of all the things they'd lose out, staying there...

I think there are different kinds of magic. As demonstrated in that thread Gina linked to, the price of Disney magic changes substantially when you've got more kids/a larger party. Right now, we've got the magic (and the luxury) of being able to vacation with all our kids. :cool1:

In time to come, we'll be vacationing with one kid at a time or by our selves or with only a couple grandkids -- at that point, we'll have the magic of staying onsite... pixiedust: buuuuut miss the magic of more space, easier transportation, traveling with the tribe, and so on. IMHO, visiting Disney is magic, either way. :thumbsup2

Isn't that the truth :thumbsup2 I feel so fortunate that DH and I are in the position to be able to take all four of our kids to Disney World for a second time within two years. The theme park tickets alone for all six of us is a small fortune within itself :laughing: Coming on the DISboards a lot can make me lose perspective at times ;). I also agree with the other poster who said it doesn't have to be "all one way or another". Depending on your needs and goals for a particular trip you may choose onsite and then choose offsite for a future Disney trip. I can see this being the case for my family. Regardless of whether we stay onsite or offsite, I know plenty of magic awaits us and to be able to walk down Main Street again and see my kids smile with delight at that first glimpse of the castle is so much magic within itself :goodvibes

We stayed at Poly last Oct and are considering going back to Disney the week of June 7-15, 2014. We have found options for a family of 5 to be limited without spending a ton. DH mentioned looking at staying off-site but I'm afraid that we would lose some of the "magic". However, it looks like we could stay in a bigger place for much cheaper.

Thoughts?

There are people on both sides of the camp here. Obviously, you can get larger, cheaper accommodations offsite. We stayed offsite years ago when we had no choice, but given a choice, we much prefer onsite as we felt it is a lot more magical. Now, we never leave for anything, use Disney transportation for getting around, and love the whole 'inclusive feel'. :thumbsup2

We have stayed on site and off site. I loved the trips both ways. I didn't lose any magic by not staying on Disney property.

When we did stay on property we stayed in a family suite at ASMu because there were 5 of us and I wanted the kids to have a bit more fun at the pool and the grounds of the resort.

They went down to the pool in the afternoon and played PIng Pong and played the Bingo and trivia games by the pool. After dinner they would go down and watch the movie by the pool.

They had the freedom to roam around the resort without us. (They are tweens and teens)

We stayed in a suite so we had a separate bedroom for mom and dad. But it costs about $240 a night.

The place we like to stay off site is the Quality Suites Lake Buena Vista on Palm parkway. It is a one bedroom suite with a living room and a full kitchen and hot free breakfast for $71 a night. They have a 2 bedroom suite that sleeps 8 for $150 a night.

It is in a good part of town half way between Universal and Disney and is surrounded by shops and restaurants. You can't beat the location or the price.

We don't need a vacation rental HOME when it is just the 2 of us.

If and when we ever take the kids back to Disney we will probably stay in a family suite again or rent a private vacation home that has a private pool and a game room.

You can still break up your day and take breaks back at your house/room mid-day. We do. We always have a car and drive ourselves everywhere. But we leave the parks after lunch and go have a rest/nap at the resort and then head back out for dinner and some other activity in the evening. (Blue Man Group, Cirque Du Soleil, Downtown Disney or a different park)

You will get probably 50/50 split on ppl who say they would never dare stay off site and then you will have ppl that swear by saving money and staying in a much bigger place for less money.

When our whole family goes we are having to spend $7,000 for a 9 day trip so paying a bit more for a room on site is no big deal for us. But when it is DH and I we try to keep our trip cost below $2500. We couldn't do all the extra things we like to do if we stayed on site and had to pay double for our room accommodations.

Also we like having the separate bedroom and living room because Dh always wakes up about 4 or 5 in the morning and I don't get up until around 6:30. So he wakes up and go in the living room and watch TV or do his own thing, get on the computer or whatever and not wake me up.

When we were giving DH's dad advice on taking his family to Disney we recommended him staying off site. It will save him a ton of money and he will be driving himself around anyway so no big loss of magic for him either. Plus he has never been before so he won't miss it, staying on site.

We have done both and enjoyed both. Both have their advantages.

Pros for onsite is you are immersed in Disney 24/7, transportation (yes we love the buses), EMH (if you use them). We park our vehicle and never get in again until we leave....love that.

Pros for offsite-- way more room (we are a family of 5 also) and for us the washer/dryer because we stayed at WH.

We are staying onsite again and it is our favorite but I definitely wouldn't hesitate again to stay offsite.

Definitely think its up to you. Before kids, we stayed on property once. Probably the last time. Can't see spending that kind of money to stay in a hotel room. On top of that having the feeling of being trapped waiting for buses or boats to get places and not being able to leave the property to eat. After staying in a two-three bedroom timeshare with a rental car,we find it hard to justify staying on property. We love eating wherever we want and coming and going when we please. At the end of the day, we typically spend almost every day at the parks, where we feel the real 'magic" is. To each their own. Enjoy!

My wife , daughter and myself go several times a year. We have stayed off site and had allot of problems. We stay at Value and mid level resorts during the year and we camp at Christmas time at Ft Wilderness, so we can decorate. Ft Wilderness is great. Its like my wife has said " I can be at WDW and sleep in my own bed". No RV rent one in Orlando or save money and tent camp. You can save allot of money. Good Luck on your trip pixiedust::wizard:.pixiedust:

Just back from our first offsite experience. For us it was a totally different trip, missed being submersed in Disney Magic 24/7, however, with young kids (3 and <1) it was the best way to do it. They would have been overwhelmed with more park days. We loved the resort setting (stayed at Hilton Grand Vacations Seaworld) and loved the pools and the extra space it allowed us to have.

We will probably return off site again next year, then take a year off and get back to staying onsite once the kids are older and able to stay at parks longer adn go to sleep later.

We just returned from bonnet creek and no magic was lost on us for sure!! We had a great time and the extra room and lower price made it even better.

You can always stay in a themed condo or house. Our last trip we stayed at AKV and WL and while both were nice, we were far from the food courts in both and we started feeling cramped in WL. Both were gorgeous resorts, but 4 people in a small room, including 2 kids that like to sleep with their knees in your back, can really start to get to you after a few days. :crowded:

This trip we are staying at Ethan's Little Disney, which is more Disney themed than most Disney rooms and we have our own beds!! Our girls saw the princess room and were super excited. :cheer2::cheer2:
No magic lost for us!!

http://luxurydisneyvacationhomes.com/ethans-little-disney/

Good luck!!

You can always stay in a themed condo or house. Our last trip we stayed at AKV and WL and while both were nice, we were far from the food courts in both and we started feeling cramped in WL. Both were gorgeous resorts, but 4 people in a small room, including 2 kids that like to sleep with their knees in your back, can really start to get to you after a few days. :crowded:

This trip we are staying at Ethan's Little Disney, which is more Disney themed than most Disney rooms and we have our own beds!! Our girls saw the princess room and were super excited. :cheer2::cheer2:
No magic lost for us!!

http://luxurydisneyvacationhomes.com/ethans-little-disney/

Good luck!!

That looks like a REALLY nice place!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter