Do you lose some of the "magic" off-site?

Discussion in 'Orlando Hotels and Attractions' started by 3littlecuties, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Princess Disney Mom

Princess Disney Mom DIS Veteran

Now that's a magical place! Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. holden

holden DIS Veteran

You had me at Poly...

For me, the Poly is THE ultimate place to stay. It's the place I stayed in my childhood (there were only 2 places back then - Poly or Contemporary) and the place my children love most. We have stayed at other Disney resorts, and nothing has been as memorable for us - Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Old Key West. We have stayed offsite too - rented a house in Windsor Palms, Hilton Bonnet Creek (we loved this place!), and Hilton Parc Soleil.

If you fell in love with the Poly, then you might be slightly disappointed in an offsite stay. The way we look at it is...we like to try new things. We have tried other places, but our hearts stay with the Poly. Have we enjoyed those places/trips, of course! But we always say, "Next time, it's back to the Poly."

I think Dumbo sums it up best...you've had it all along. You don't need the feather. The magic is within you. Different places offer different experiences. You won't know until you try.

But you will return to the Poly...

4. Minnies Boy Toy

Minnies Boy Toy Keeping an eye out for Mickey....

I guess I have a slightly different perspective, because although I adore all things Disney, to me the "magic" lies in the vacation with loved-ones, of which Disney enhances the experience - but it is not THE experience. We have resources to be able to travel well occasionally, but they are not unlimited. My preference is to find a great condo-type resort or timeshare where we can spread out and be "on vacation" at a smaller fraction of the cost of staying on-site, and using the savings to do other things, whether it be not worrying about getting that extra dacquiri at the pool bar, or taking an evening and going out to one of the many dinner shows, or buying that pricey outlet item or souvenir, etc. I don't like using shuttles or transportation, driving doesn't bother me, and I'm not really generally crazy about the food quality and value within the WDW complex - so personally (and this is just our preference) we find the atmosphere and accommodations at some of the offsites to be preferable to anything offered at WDW, regardless of cost. I do love the Mouse and all his friends, but no offense to him, he's part of the vacation experience, not the reason we go on vacation.

5. Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina DIS Veteran

:thumbsup2 Well said!

6. joanchris

joanchris Mouseketeer

This!
    We need the space we can find offsite. We also need flexibility, watch out for cancellation policies at places like WH, we have a daughter who is medically complex, for us to end up in the hospital one day when she was fine the day before is routine for us, a liberal (24 hr) cancellation policy makes us happy, even with trip insurance.
    We found, on our last trip, what I consider a gem, will definitely stay there again. It was not new, counters were not granite, the only thing that bothered me was that the carpets really needed replacing in one of our rooms (we added days so had to change rooms). BUT the rooms were spotlessly clean, even the carpet that was very worn was still clean. That, to me, is way more important than granite or newer fixtures.
    We were minutes from the parks, via a back road, so NO traffic. BUT we had 2 (2nd half, 3) bedrooms, kitchen, balcony, living room, laundry etc. We were able to get to our car in just a few minutes, and it was under $800 for a week--Christmas week. http://www.palisadesresortorlando.com/ When we wanted to add days onto our trip (we had to delay the start, due to my daughter's illness), the clerk at the desk worked with me to find a room, at a decent price, that was 4 doors down from the room we were in, so it would minimize the hassle of having to move.
    If we were to stay on site we would have to have two rooms or a suite, we would likely drive anyhow, as it's easier with my daughter's wheelchair. It would cost a fortune (for us), and we would not have been able to do the ADRs that we did, so no Cape May dinner buffet or Crystal Palace, among others. We found the magic in the space. If I had oodles of extra cash I'd love to stay at BLT in a 2 br suite, that would be Perfect. Barring that, I'll stay offsite!

7. BeerMe

BeerMe DIS Veteran

Over the last 20 years most of our stays have been onsite, BUT, over the last 5 years most have been offsite. The allure of some fabulous resorts offsite, and the much lower cost (for us) has led to those offsite stays plus we tend to stay 2-4 weeks now which is prohibitively expensive onsite. As for amenities and losing the magic --- no way. It's still just as magical.

8. lovindonald

lovindonald DIS Veteran

The magic is what you make it. Staying off site you save SO much money it is incredible and you have more space. We like the Caribe Royale. Lots of room because they are suites, great pool, beautiful surroundings and great price at about $100/night. Watch for mousesavers deals that also give you a resort credit - can't be beat!

9. BraythansMom

BraythansMom SAHM that loves making bows & going to Disney Worl

Not at all IMO! As long as you are within a few miles of the parks, its still awesome! You also have more money in your pocket for more fun things! I prefer offsite myself :)