Do you lock your suitcases that you check?

You can only use TSA approved locks to lock your luggage.
We too use the plastic tie wraps and I carry a spare so I can put them on my luggage in the hotel room to keep wandering housekeeping eyes from peeking in my bags.

I use the tsa locks, last time when we got back to the UK i opened one of my cases to find a lovely little note inside telling me that my case had been opened, checked and relocked.

Lock your luggage for what? I don't get it. A box cutter will open 99% of the bags. DON'T PUT VALUABLES in your checked bags, leave them at home, or put them in your carry on.

i use the TSA locks.
all they have to do is check the number on the bottom of my locks to open them with their key.

i keep valuables that do not fit into the safe in the resort room in my suitcase.
i use the locks for that all the time.

NO. It's merely a signal to TSA to select your luggage for roughing up. Or the airline employees to think you have something valuable inside.

I use a key ring to keep them shut - they can be opened and inspected but the zippers won't slide open. We have had our luggage opened and found the note a few times and every time the key ring was back on the zippers.

I would never pack anything of value in my checked bags - if it can't be left home it goes with me in my carryon.

My sil uses the TSA locks and so far they have been removed and not replaced the last three times.

TJ

I use the TSA locks everytime I go to WDW and never had anything taken or removed from my bag.:thumbsup2

Well, I have a videoclip e-mailed to me that shows how simple and easy it is to get into locked suitcases. The guy sticks the end (writing end) of a regular ballpoint pen into the teeth of the zipper and EASILY slides it around to open the zipper. When he's done he simply takes the locked together zipper "pulls" and pulls them around from end to end around the suitcase and voila .. the suitcase is locked. No evidence whatsoever of tampering or that anyone has ever been inside the suitcase. It's incredible and is a fantastic demonstration that really shows why people should NEVER put valuables in their suitcases.

Wish I knew how to post the clip.

We don't secure our checked bags because we're afraid our stuff will get stolen - we secure simply to keep the zipper from coming open. I've always used plain ol' twist ties. I can remember at least one occasion that they were inspected, and the tie wasn't put back on (no big deal).

We used cable ties once - right after 9/11 we flew to Hawaii for a cruise. Had two checked bags and put a small pair of scissors in the outside pocket of one. Well, one bag got delivered and one was delayed - guess which one?! Got some weird looks from the cabin stewards we had to call to cut the cable tie off! :lmao:

Glad to read reports that TSA locks run the risk of disappearing - they were on my shopping list, but now I'll just stick to twist ties and save the $.

"It just seems easier not to pack anything valuable and leave your bags unlocked."

Bbbbut everything I pack is valuable to me.

A locked bag suggests you have something worth stealing in it. I'm sure the people who have access to checked luggage can open any locked bag.
I worked for a major airline for 25 years in Baggage Claim - they and the TSA's have keys and other means to open up any bags. I would just leave them unlocked!!!

...is with me. I just don't want the zippers to open up. I do like the twist-tie idea instead of the zip ties.Maybe I'll go that route!!:goofy:

I always use the plastic zip ties and keep a pair of sissors in an outside pocket. It makes me feel better having them there and safeguards my stuff from the zipper coming undone. I have had a bag checked by TSA. They cut my cable off and replaced it with one of their own.

No we don't lock or cable tie but we also have been peaked at by TSA at least 2 times in the last 7 years.
TSA checks bags based on views from the X-ray machine. :duck: You must have something that they need to have a closer look at. My mom's bag is checked EVERY time we fly.

When we flew to Orlando in 2006, we were "advised" by the airline representative (at curbside checkin) to unlock our checked luggage.... that if we left it locked the TSA Agents would "open" it anyway.

Then again when were were leaving the Orlando airport we were told not to lock luggage. The TSA agents were right there watching as every piece of checked luggage was scanned. They were prepared to cut off locks or ties in order to look inside the bags.

Not sure if they do this at every airport, but it just seems easier not to pack anything valuable and leave your bags unlocked. :confused:

They will indeed cut off your lock so don't even bother to lock it. We were told this the first time I ever flew (6/02).

Last trip TSA decided they needed a much closer look at Mrs U's fingernail polish in her cosmetic bag.
Of course, they forgot to screw the top back on securely, and we had a ruined piece of luggage when we got to WDW.

I only read one page of replies, so forgive me if I double up..but we had one of our bags looked at. They left a tag in the bottom of the bag. It stated that if the bag was locked they will BREAK the lock to get into the bag. DO NOT LOCK YOUR BAGS. They will not compensate you. I think the tag said it was random..cant recall..

I only read one page of replies, so forgive me if I double up..but we had one of our bags looked at. They left a tag in the bottom of the bag. It stated that if the bag was locked they will BREAK the lock to get into the bag. DO NOT LOCK YOUR BAGS. They will not compensate you. I think the tag said it was random..cant recall..
Good points.
I don't have the time or interest to search each and every airline, but I was curious about what Delta's policy generally is on damage.
https://www.delta.com/baggage/landing.action#damaged

They don't accept any liability resulting from TSA inspections-very reasonable policy. Obviously TSA will break whatever they want however they want to inspect a bag, and then the passenger will have to take it up with TSA if they're not happy with the results. (Good luck to them with that. :laughing: )

Personally, I wouldn't even consider zip ties, twist ties...even the tie off the loaf of bread. I doubt they are going to carefully unwind anything. They'll quickly use some cutting tool, and while most will be OK, I'd rather not be the lucky one who's zipper is nicked because they are in a huge hurry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter