Do you lock your suitcases that you check?

I don't use locks either. Took my backpack as my carryon when we went to Scotland a couple years ago and made sure everything I bought while there would fit in it (along with cameras, of course).

If I had found something larger that I wanted to get I would have mailed home rather than it being "lost" in my checked bag.

We use the TSA approved locks. I didn't used to lock my luggage but one time the suitcase with our dirty laundry was returned halfway unzipped. Most of what was missing were my dirty socks and undies ... I am still mortified at the idea of my panties rolling like a tumbleweed down some runway. :rotfl:

(Yes, I know that scenario is unlikely but that mortifying scene is the funniest my head will conjure. The alternatives aren't as amusing to me.)

Last trip TSA decided they needed a much closer look at Mrs U's fingernail polish in her cosmetic bag.
Of course, they forgot to screw the top back on securely, and we had a ruined piece of luggage when we got to WDW.

That blows! I will leave my polish home from now on after reading this. ::yes::

If you have a lock on there, TSA will cut it off if they feel like they need to look inside, unless you are using a TSA approved lock.

It is probably exceedingly unwise to put anything of value in your checked luggage, locked or not.

It's not just the airport/TSA people, awhile back they caught a guy who was going into the Washington area airports and just walking away with suitcases from the luggage claim. He had a storage compartment with 60 suitcases in it. He got caught because someone reported him for selling clothing out of a suitcase to other people in his apartment complex.

Good grief.
I am suprised this dosen't happen more often. So easy to just stand at the beginning of the baggage "line", snatch the first few suitcases that come tumbling out, ,and leave. Chances are quite good that the actual owner will be somewhere else along the line. IF not--just a simple mistake.

Amirah95: Even worse was when we later said something. At first they denied even looking into the bag. When I produced that little TSA note they leave, they then suggested Mrs U had forgotten to tighten the cap herself. Well-nothing like that has ever happened in all the years we've been flying. Only that one time when TSA got their fingers in the pie. Coincidence? I think not.

Good grief.
I am suprised this dosen't happen more often. So easy to just stand at the beginning of the baggage "line", snatch the first few suitcases that come tumbling out, ,and leave. Chances are quite good that the actual owner will be somewhere else along the line. IF not--just a simple mistake.

Amirah95: Even worse was when we later said something. At first they denied even looking into the bag. When I produced that little TSA note they leave, they then suggested Mrs U had forgotten to tighten the cap herself. Well-nothing like that has ever happened in all the years we've been flying. Only that one time when TSA got their fingers in the pie. Coincidence? I think not.
That's why I like to get to the carousel quickly and stand where I can see the bags when they first come off. I also use TSA locks and have never had a problem either here or abroad. I also consider everything in my suitcases to be valuable to me.

DH and I have hard side luggage for our checked luggage. We have a couple of bag straps (Mickey Mouse ones of course :thumbsup2 ) that we put around the bags before we check-in at airport. They are not locking but we use them in case the locks pop open and they made it very easy to spot our bags at baggage claim.

It is amazing in all the years we've being using them and all the trips to Orlando we have never, ever, spotted them on other luggage. We bought them at the Disney store at the Orlando airport.

DH and I have hard side luggage for our checked luggage. We have a couple of bag straps (Mickey Mouse ones of course :thumbsup2 ) that we put around the bags before we check-in at airport. They are not locking but we use them in case the locks pop open and they made it very easy to spot our bags at baggage claim.

It is amazing in all the years we've being using them and all the trips to Orlando we have never, ever, spotted them on other luggage. We bought them at the Disney store at the Orlando airport.

We use those as well but ours are boring bright orange, I will look into the mickey ones! Despite those and a key ring to keep the zipper closed we have our bags checked by tsa about 1/2 the time. We always follow the 'guidelines" and pack liquids and shoes on top but still we get searched sometimes. Knock wood I have never had anything go missing - but I never put anything of value in my checked bags either.

However, my sil had two magazines taken from the outside pocket of her checked bags last Tuesday. They were specialty magazines she picked up on her trip and since she had enough fun reading for the flight and didn't think anyone would find them of value she just slid them in her checked bags to look at after she got home. Must have been some history buffs working the TSA that day ???

TJ

plain old twist ties under the, I'm sure, mistaken impression that the zippers will stay closed at least!!

ditto, just something to help keep the zippers from opening if they get caught on something, not to keep anyone out.

we use cable ties or TSA locks (as others have stated: our "valuables" would be useless to anyone else, e.g., a bathing suit that actually fits & looks good:banana: , hairdryer/serum that work wonders on my hair, our favorite clothes, etc. items that others would consider valuable (jewelry, camera, etc) go in the carry-on).
IMHO, while a cable tie/TSA lock will not prevent theft, they are a deterrant (simply, it is more difficult & time-consuming to open a cabled/locked bag. however, an unprotected bag is easier to open & pull out items unnoticed).
cable ties/TSA locks have been repeatedly recommended by friends who work for different airlines (& have seen quite a bit more than the average traveler:sad2: ).

& we've only had a bag opened once, while we were still standing nearby (fyi, avoid packing block candles, they apparently have the same density of some bomb making ingredient:confused3 ). TSA replaced the cable tie.

If you are using a TSA approved lock they are NOT supposed to cut it off. If, on the very slim chance they do, you should be covered for a replacement.

(from the Travel Sentry website FAQ)
06. My Travel Sentry lock was cut open. What do I do?
If this was done by the TSA the cut lock may be left inside your baggage but they should always include a Notification of Baggage Inspection. If this notice is inside your baggage and the lock has been damaged or destroyed contact the company you purchased the lock from – most will replace it free of charge.

If you believe this was NOT done by the TSA then you should file a claim with your airline as soon as possible. Some locks are broken off as a result of rough handling in the airport conveyor belt systems. There are time limits for filing claims with the airlines so do not delay.

No, a lock won't keep a determined thief out. Same with a car lock or a locked door at home. A lock keeps honest people honest. ;)

My bigger concern is that my bag stays closed - that the zipper does not become unzipped and I find it on the luggage carousel with my personal clothing scattered everywhere! I have the TSA locks, so I use them. Just makes me feel better. If I'm traveling alone I even use them on my carry on bags.

I have NEVER had a TSA approved lock tampered with (cut). In fact, since I've been using the TSA locks, I haven't had a bag inspected. (I know this because I have the type of lock that tells me if it has been opened by TSA -- Search Alert feature as well as not having the 'bag inspected notice'. Only got those notices when I used zip ties or twist ties.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter