• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you keep your pets in your camper?

I came here to ask this very question! We're buying a higher end PUP with full AC/Heat and plan on going in Early fall/late winter of 2017/2018, and was wondering what we could do with our pack (three!) while we're gone in the parks. Was wondering if there are any services like dog walkers, etc that work at the fort?

I came here to ask this very question! We're buying a higher end PUP with full AC/Heat and plan on going in Early fall/late winter of 2017/2018, and was wondering what we could do with our pack (three!) while we're gone in the parks. Was wondering if there are any services like dog walkers, etc that work at the fort?

I think PUP means popup...my friend has a high end popup and this spring break, she had to get a manager to approve their dog upon arrival because the CM at the entrance told them that dogs were not generally permitted in popups. I had never heard of this before but it took them a while to get it straightened out. They were in a premium loop and were not planning to go to any parks or away from the camper for any length of time.

I think PUP means popup...my friend has a high end popup and this spring break, she had to get a manager to approve their dog upon arrival because the CM at the entrance told them that dogs were not generally permitted in popups. I had never heard of this before but it took them a while to get it straightened out. They were in a premium loop and were not planning to go to any parks or away from the camper for any length of time.
Thanks for the heads up. PUP does mean pop-up. I'll have to call before we book. Our PUP is a hybrid style with full heat/ac & hook ups. (heck, even a two piece bath!) The canvas ends have covers to keep the heat/cool in. Maybe I'll book a pet sitter just in case.

What is the status of WiFi at the Fort? Would you need your own hotspot to use a WiFi camera?
From all reports, the WiFi is up and running through out the Fort and is apparently at a descent speed.

I don't use a "WiFi" Camera so I am not sure what the concern is. (Is that how you load them to a site somewhere?). If you need a "Personal" network, I just purchased a HooToo Nano and so far I love it. Regardless whether you use the HooToo (or similar) or connect directly to the WiFi, you will need to configure your devices appropriately to access the resource.

Thanks for the heads up. PUP does mean pop-up. I'll have to call before we book. Our PUP is a hybrid style with full heat/ac & hook ups. (heck, even a two piece bath!) The canvas ends have covers to keep the heat/cool in. Maybe I'll book a pet sitter just in case.

What model is your pup?

• Pet policy is below. There are no dog walkers, a good idea though.
  • All pets must be kept on a handheld leash that is 8 feet or shorter or confined in the interior of the owner’s climate-controlled personal recreational vehicle. Pets are not permitted in tents and pop-up campers.
  • Guests with pet privileges may take their dogs to play in the off-leash Waggin' Trails Dog Park or walk the many on-leash trails. So that our Guests with pets can enjoy ample time at the Walt Disney World theme parks and destinations, day and overnight kennel care is available at Best Friends Pet Care.
  • Pet owners are required to pick up after and properly dispose of their pet's droppings.
  • Pets that interfere with the quality of the Guest experience at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground in any away (such as aggression, noise, etc.) or generate a legitimate complaint to management will result in the pet owner being required to discontinue the pet's inappropriate behavior, remove the pet to an off-site kennel, or leave the Resort.

I just worry about what would happen if for some reason the air conditioner malfunctioned?

1) I do not think there is a question her.
2) In think the extreme heat and humidity of the area would do her in.
3) And, leaving a pet in an un-airconditioned camper is not an option at The Fort.

1) I do not think there is a question her.
2) In think the extreme heat and humidity of the area would do her in.
3) And, leaving a pet in an un-airconditioned camper is not an option at The Fort.
Oh I would never ever leave them in a camper with no air conditioner! I was just worried about the air conditioner failing. I like the idea of using a wifi camera and a thermometer. Our AC works fine and keeps the camper very cool, but I would rather be overly cautious for peace of mind.

• Pet policy is below. There are no dog walkers, a good idea though.
  • All pets must be kept on a handheld leash that is 8 feet or shorter or confined in the interior of the owner’s climate-controlled personal recreational vehicle. Pets are not permitted in tents and pop-up campers.
  • Guests with pet privileges may take their dogs to play in the off-leash Waggin' Trails Dog Park or walk the many on-leash trails. So that our Guests with pets can enjoy ample time at the Walt Disney World theme parks and destinations, day and overnight kennel care is available at Best Friends Pet Care.
  • Pet owners are required to pick up after and properly dispose of their pet's droppings.
  • Pets that interfere with the quality of the Guest experience at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground in any away (such as aggression, noise, etc.) or generate a legitimate complaint to management will result in the pet owner being required to discontinue the pet's inappropriate behavior, remove the pet to an off-site kennel, or leave the Resort.
We have a hybrid. I wonder if they consider that a pop-up? Our plan was to close the tent-ends before heading out, so she would be in a fully enclosed trailer when left alone.

I have downloaded a free app called "Manything" that allows me to use my iPad as a camera and watch on my iPhone. Has sound, motion sensors and works great for just checking in. I initially set it up to see how long it took the dog to quite down after I left....

We leave our lab in the camper and usually come back mid day to check on him and take him to the dog park to get some exercise. He is very calm and not a barker. Never had an issue of many years we have been going.

We have three small older dogs and I have always worried about power failures and extreme heat. I've had a Heat/power alarm for year's now that will call your cell(plus other numbers) in the event of power failure or heat increase above a set limit. Of course this all depends on Cell service which would make me ask, How is the cell service at the Fort? We have AT&T and Verizon? Our plan is to return to the RV once or twice a day to rest and check on the "kids". Are you allowed to put X-pens up for the kids while you are sitting outside with them. ....we never leave them outside unattended regardless of X-pens or not.

We have three small older dogs and I have always worried about power failures and extreme heat. I've had a Heat/power alarm for year's now that will call your cell(plus other numbers) in the event of power failure or heat increase above a set limit. Of course this all depends on Cell service which would make me ask, How is the cell service at the Fort? We have AT&T and Verizon? Our plan is to return to the RV once or twice a day to rest and check on the "kids". Are you allowed to put X-pens up for the kids while you are sitting outside with them. ....we never leave them outside unattended regardless of X-pens or not.
Cell service is good thru-out WDW and The Fort. I have seen all kinds of pens and fences at The Fort. Have a great trip with your pups.

she had to get a manager to approve their dog upon arrival because the CM at the entrance told them that dogs were not generally permitted in popups.

1) This has been in the rules for pets for many years.
2) In hot tents or popups,
. . . dogs can get overheated and bark
. . . dogs can get overheated and die

I have worried about leaving my dogs in the rv in case of power outage. Have any of you experienced this problem?

I have worried about leaving my dogs in the rv in case of power outage. Have any of you experienced this problem?
So far, no. It was a worry of ours also, so we checked in on them a lot. Now the only time we go to Fl is Dec/Jan so it's not a big concern.

We take our fur babies....it definitely depends on the time of year and how long you are away from the rv. We are going in October and will leave them in the motorhome. We leave on the AC, a fan, AND leave a window slightly open. We also leave the tv on for them.:-) We go to the park in the morning, come back to the rv around 1:00ish and go back to the park in the evening. I would worry more if it were August. I will say we are Floridians, so our dogs are used to a little heat...not like left in the car in August heat, but you know what I mean. Since we are only gone for a few hours, I don't worry too much...okay yes I do - but any who.

We also have a sign posted in our front and rear window that says "Pets inside. In emergency, please rescue" and has our phone numbers.

We have done this many, many, many times. I'm loving the idea of a cheap camera.:love: We may be doing that. The hubs will be thrilled.

I like the idea of a sign in case of emergency. I plan to look into a camera like we have at home. I can't enjoy myself if I am always worrying about th furbabies.

We have taken our girls with us one time. They loved the Doggy Park. We would leave them for only 4 hrs, we made sure the vents were opened & the fan running. Our concern was power outage & something happen to the camper.

I like the idea of a sign in case of emergency.

1) Disney does not "rescue" pets inside an RV, even if there is a sign on the RV.
2) It is against our practice/policy and we are instructed not to do so.
. . . we are not your local fire department looking for "pet" signs/notices
. . . it is the owner's responsibility to make certain the pet is cared-for AT ALL TIMES
. . . the pet owner has the option of Pet Care if they think there might be a problem
3) There is too large of a liability for CM/WDW, and Disney IS ALWAYS a prime target for certain types of lawyers.
. . . if the pet bites/scratches the CM, The Fort can be sued by the CM (or even submit a Worker Comp claim)
. . . if the owner declares this was not an emergency, The Fort can be sued by the owner
. . . if the pet is claimed to be injured during a "rescue", The Fort can be sued by the owner
. . . if we enter an RV the owner might claim something is missing (like the Royal Jewels), and The Fort can be sued by the owner
. . . if we enter an RV, the owner might claim we damaged the RV while forcing a door (etc), and The Fort can be sued by the owner

NOTE1: Our Emergency Services can force their way into an RV (or resort hotel room) without retribution, but there has to be an emergency to handle (eg. the unit is on fire and firemen have to extinguish the blaze, there is a medical emergency and EMS has to save an individual). Pet issues ARE NOT considered emergencies, because they do not threaten human life or property.

NOTE2: We have heard dogs "yapping" inside an RV, and we do not go near the unit. We call a manager, who notes the incident in the log, but takes no action.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter