Do you ever get afraid of flying?

No fear of flying, but I've grown tired of being treated like cattle.

I've flown a hundred times without anything that even approached being a safety concern. But it used to be fun to fly...now it is a real chore.

I'll drive as much as 9 hours rather than fly.

I feel the EXACT same way! I sweat like crazy, go to the bathroom every 10 mins, spill everything all over, etc. I am always 100% sure that we are all going down and no one knows it but me.

Tinkerball, that sounds like me! Granted, I haven't flown since 1999, but I am terrified now. Just thinking about flying makes me all sweaty and my stomach flips around.

Does anyone know of a program nearby Los Angeles, for people who are afraid of flying? I know Virgin Airlines has one, but their program is based in the UK. I don't have a lot of money but I'd definitely pay for a program to help me get over my fear. (Btw, I have agoraphobia and clautraphobia).

I totally understand. On our last trip to Disney, my husband forgot my Xanax at home...rough trip for him(lol). I was fine going but the trip back was one anxiety attack after the other. My doc gives me Xanax for those situations...only two...one going and one back. It works. People believe that fear of flying is irrational but it really is not. It is merely a control function. If YOU could fly the plane yourself, you would be fine(lol).:scared:

Flyin2MCO, love your avatar. I find it particularly amusing considering the subject of this thread :lmao:.

robin - thanks!...

the gremlins in our lives, real and imagined, can keep us from living life to the fullest. i say embrace the gremlins or at least get to know them better, since they are usually not as bad as we think.

My fear of flying developed from childhood, flying from CA to NY I got so sick that I vomitted all over myself, my mom and the poor guy passenger next to me (he felt really sorry for me).
The quesiness I've been able to get over, but the fear of losing altitude still haunts me. My kids and I go to WDW every year on JetBlue, and when the plane takes off, I just pray for traveling mercies and hold their hands. When we are at cruising altitude, I'm ok. I take my book out or watch TV, always maintaining one hand onto my armrest (which cracks me up: Am I going to hold on to my armrest if I'm going down? Is my armrest going to stop the plane???:rotfl:) I have no problem with the landing, in fact I like to watch it because I know I'll be on the ground.

I havent found anything that works to calm, but I've also rationalized that if I want to go WDW, I've got to get on that plane!!! (unless of course I move to Florida??:rolleyes1) I will say that I refuse to fly anywhere but florida because I know how long the flight takes... There's no way in the world, I'll be visiting Hawaii or Europe... I takes too darn long!!!!

I used to be terrified to fly, but now I just really dislike it. The only thing that helped me to get over it was to keep flying. I really want to see the world, and the desire to travel far outweighs disliking to fly.

One trick I learned that helped me was to look at the flight attendants if a bump/noise/whatever freaks me out. If they don't look concerned, I should have no reason to be concerned. We once had a flight with what I thought was pretty bad turbulance, and the flight attendants even had to be in their seatbelts. I took a look back at the flight attendants, and one was reading a magazine and the other was filing her nails. Since neither one looked concerned, it helped me to relax.

I loooooove Southwest. They do a great job and are super funny!!

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ta9ltJGxjk

This helped me a LOT before I flew last time. :goodvibes

OH and do a youtube search on EFT. It's called "Emotional Freedom Technique" and though it's a little :hippie:, it very well could also help you!!

I also like to watch a lot of flying/airport/departing/landing videos on youtube. They help me do visualizations of the plane being a safe place.

I get claustraphobic (spelling?), and had a pretty bad panic attack back in 2006. I got up, walked around, went potty :rolleyes1, and then was fine. My DH helps me a lot. I get panic attacks on a pretty regular basis and he can often see when one starts. He reminds me to do breathing exercises, and tells me that everything will be ok and I calm down pretty quickly.

I'm now a champion flyer :goodvibes

Tinkerball, that sounds like me! Granted, I haven't flown since 1999, but I am terrified now. Just thinking about flying makes me all sweaty and my stomach flips around.

Does anyone know of a program nearby Los Angeles, for people who are afraid of flying? I know Virgin Airlines has one, but their program is based in the UK. I don't have a lot of money but I'd definitely pay for a program to help me get over my fear. (Btw, I have agoraphobia and clautraphobia).

Me too. And emetophobia. :sad2:

For anyone with a fear of flying, I would HIGHLY recommend watching the "Fear of Flying" episode of the Simpsons. It's the 11th episode of the 6th season.

It's a satirical look at the fear of flying, and it will make you laugh. I think one of the funniest things I've ever seen is the blue beehive seen through the plane windows, going back and forth, back and forth - like the ducks and targets in a carnival shooting game. And on top of that, hearing Marge in her grovelly voice shrieking: "Lemee off! Lemee off! Lemee off! Lemee off! Lemee off! Lemee off!"

If nothing else, it'll give you a good laugh. :)

ETA: Here's a clip of the very scene I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk8p_Cw1jbU

As others have said your chances of being involved in an accident on a plane are astronomically small. So small that my chances of being struck by lightning as I type this are pretty good- even better- being a big lottery winner. It's true.

But did you know that the survival rate for those involved in plane mishaps is around 95%? Here's what I do. I always make sure my seat is no more than 5 rows from an exit because those people will usually be able to get out if there's an accident. I then imagine myself with my eyes closed making my way to the exit in a calm and purposeful manner just so I have that in my mind in case I need it. Check for the in floor and other lighting around the cabin just so you know it's there.

After that I relax and listen to the safety briefing using the card while noticing how many others don't bother or are already asleep or on their phones. Other than being alert to my surroundings during takeoff, landing, and keeping my belt on at all times, I've done all I can do to keep myself safe so I can enjoy the flight.

Having said all that, accidents do happen. I've been in three. One was an on ground collision with a truck which punctured a fuel tank in the wing. Another was a case of wake turbulence from a too-near 747 where we got pretty badly bounced around. Only those without belts were injured. Remember that the plane can take way more punishment than you or I can without ill effects.

Finally, I was on a plane that slid off the end of the runway (at high speed) that was slush and ice covered. Other than a long delay we were all fine which is more than I can say about the plane's landing gear that collapsed.

So I guess what I really want to say is that flying is really, really, safe and even if you are involved in any kind of accident your chances of coming through it are really good, too.

As someone with my own "irrational" fears I know this won't change your feelings buy you never know?:)

as others have said your chances of being involved in an accident on a plane are astronomically small. So small that my chances of being struck by lightning as i type this are pretty good- even better- being a big lottery winner. It's true.

But did you know that the survival rate for those involved in plane mishaps is around 95%? Here's what i do. I always make sure my seat is no more than 5 rows from an exit because those people will usually be able to get out if there's an accident. I then imagine myself with my eyes closed making my way to the exit in a calm and purposeful manner just so i have that in my mind in case i need it. Check for the in floor and other lighting around the cabin just so you know it's there.

After that i relax and listen to the safety briefing using the card while noticing how many others don't bother or are already asleep or on their phones. Other than being alert to my surroundings during takeoff, landing, and keeping my belt on at all times, i've done all i can do to keep myself safe so i can enjoy the flight.

Having said all that, accidents do happen. I've been in three. One was an on ground collision with a truck which punctured a fuel tank in the wing. Another was a case of wake turbulence from a too-near 747 where we got pretty badly bounced around. Only those without belts were injured. Remember that the plane can take way more punishment than you or i can without ill effects.

Finally, i was on a plane that slid off the end of the runway (at high speed) that was slush and ice covered. Other than a long delay we were all fine which is more than i can say about the plane's landing gear that collapsed.

So i guess what i really want to say is that flying is really, really, safe and even if you are involved in any kind of accident your chances of coming through it are really good, too.

As someone with my own "irrational" fears i know this won't change your feelings buy you never know?:)

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I loooooove Southwest. They do a great job and are super funny!!

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ta9ltJGxjk

This helped me a LOT before I flew last time. :goodvibes

I'm now a champion flyer :goodvibes

For anyone with a fear of flying, I would HIGHLY recommend watching the "Fear of Flying" episode of the Simpsons. It's the 11th episode of the 6th season.

It's a satirical look at the fear of flying, and it will make you laugh. I think one of the funniest things I've ever seen is the blue beehive seen through the plane windows, going back and forth, back and forth - like the ducks and targets in a carnival shooting game. And on top of that, hearing Marge in her grovelly voice shrieking: "Lemee off! Lemee off! Lemee off! Lemee off! Lemee off! Lemee off!"

If nothing else, it'll give you a good laugh. :)

ETA: Here's a clip of the very scene I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk8p_Cw1jbU

Those are great! Thanks for posting!

DD and I had fun on our last flights looking at the emergency cards and making up our own captions for the pictures.

That is sooooo true! My friends always give me the shpeel about being safer in the plane, etc... but I can not get the visions out of my head of going down in the plane! :sad2:

Definitely going to look into the Lorazepam for our very first trip to Disney in November!!

Exactly. This statement does not help at all. And of course a fear of flying is no irrational. We are not birds.

That is sooooo true! My friends always give me the shpeel about being safer in the plane, etc... but I can not get the visions out of my head of going down in the plane! :sad2:

Definitely going to look into the Lorazepam for our very first trip to Disney in November!!

Exactly. This statement does not help at all. And of course a fear of flying is no irrational. We are not birds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter