Do we need a stroller?

smorkovsky

Mouseketeer
I know that's a individual decision, but from your experience....

My youngest will be almost 5 when we go (trip Sept, birthday Dec.). I doubt we will spend more than 5-6 hours at a time in a park, and her daddy will undoubtedly carry her on his shoulders from time to time. I have a great jogging stroller I'd rather take (rather than rent, I mean) if I'm going to need a stroller, and based on what a lot of you guys have said, I'm starting to think I'd be an idiot not to take it, but I originally thought we'd be fine without. We are flying, so I'm not lugging it unless you guys tell me I'm an idiot, lol!

Our family cut-off has always been 4, BUT many on the DIS feel that up to 9 or 10 is fine! I would never push a 10 year old around in a stroller, if anything they can push me around in one at that age, but hey if it works for them!

Personally, I would bring a stroller for a four year old.

We bought a cheap umbrella stroller ($20) before we left and gate checked it at the airport. It was small and easy to fold but perfect when we needed it.

It was especially useful when we rode the bus back to our resort in the evenings. My daughter always fell asleep on the bus, so as we exited the bus, we would pop the stroller open, put her in it and then grab a coffee or snack from the food court. Perfect! :)

We only rented one once when my DD was 4 (in Epcot). The rest of our days in the parks she walked or her father carried her. Mostly she walked. Our other child was 6 and didn't need one at all.

I remember a time when my twin boys were 7. We thought there was no need for a stroller. They were out of that at home why would we need this?

After the second day of exhausted children in the heat (even though we only spent half a day in the park) we found the stroller was just a necessity for them and for Mom and Dad's sanity.

Now we would usually go at rope drop and leave for lunch/break then head back to the park at 5/6pm for the evenings.

I would recommend renting a stroller from an outside company for the week. On one evening toward the end of our trip the boys were just too tired and fell asleep in the "disney" rented stroller. Mom and Dad had to carry them to the monorail and back to room after we returned the stroller at the gate (stayed at the Poly). However, being this was July 4th time frame the entrance to get on the monorail was a very long wait. We still tease the boys about that today.

I used one when first DD was 4, would never have though about going without one then. With the heat, and the crowds etc, it was better for her to be in a stroller.

I say yes to the stroller. Crowds, heat, pace are things to consider. We don't use one at home but will use a small umbrella stroller that we can gate check, for our upcoming trip.

My DD is 5 and we were there in May. She doesn't normally use a stroller, but we brought ours which is a Combi... So the stroller was not big, but it has a good canopy.

I found it helpful to have a stroller. The canopy help shield her from the sun, too.

Bring it. Better to have it and not need it than to not have it and need it. DD2 will be nearly 5 this year and we're taking one. Last year for her 4th birthday DD1 was 7 and still wanted in it and we didn't bring a second stroller for her so we had to share despite the fact that my wife and I didn't think she should be in one. She's too big for it now so she'll have to walk and we've expressed that to her many times over. At age 5 though I would definitely bring it. Dad's shoulders get sore after a bit and sweaty and yucky.

If you get through the first day and she's not wanting it then leave it in the hotel afterwards. You will also find they are great for schleping stuff. :thumbsup2

I wouldn't bet on daddy wanting to do the shoulder thing a whole lot. It can be very hot, and there are many low hanging signs you just don't notice until you have a little one up high. My brother in law managed to crack his son's head pretty hard on one during a shoulder ride. That was the last time he was up there.

I am not even joking.... I saw a 13/14 year old in a stroller last week at DHS. So people go up to ALL kinds of ages.

We stopped strollering when our youngest turned three... you know your own child and what he/she can do.

We bought a cheap umbrella stroller ($20) before we left and gate checked it at the airport. It was small and easy to fold but perfect when we needed it.

Yeah, that sounds ideal to me, too. It's easy to fold and unfold, light enough to carry when you're not using it, and not cumbersome like a large stroller when you are. Plus, as you say, it's cheap enough that you don't really care if it gets banged up or even if you don't bring it home with you afterwards.

Better to bring it and not need to use it than to not have it and want it.

Otherwise, I agree with the others, do what is best for your family once you arrive. :thumbsup2

Not another stroller thread. Do what's best for your family.

Wow, that feels so welcoming. Thanks. Apparently I should have spent a bit longer scrolling through old threads since that is easier than dealing with snark from people who can't be bothered to skip over disinteresting threads.

Otherwise, thanks for the responses. I thought I had most of these things figured out, but reading thread after thread makes you think you need to reconsider some things and ask the people who have BTDT. I don't want to schlep one through an airport, and I don't think we'll need it, so I guess I'll just figure that one out on the fly. That sounds like a cheap way of doing things. (eye roll)

If you are asking "do I need a stroller" = the answer is yes!

My DS7 used a stroller in DL because "we" wanted to have a great full day from rope drop to fireworks. We are going back to WDW in October and plan to use a strolled on several of our crazy day.

Our twins are just about to turn 4 and I can't imagine going without a stroller. At this point, Disney, airports and other crowded carnival-like places are the only place we actually use one.

However, once they got to the point where we used strollers for only these limited things, we got rid of our jogging stroller and got a nice lightweight but sturdy double. That City Elite that first year was a PAIN to travel around wtih. Our new one is about half the weight and folds really easily and compactly.

Wow, that feels so welcoming. Thanks. Apparently I should have spent a bit longer scrolling through old threads since that is easier than dealing with snark from people who can't be bothered to skip over disinteresting threads.

Otherwise, thanks for the responses. I thought I had most of these things figured out, but reading thread after thread makes you think you need to reconsider some things and ask the people who have BTDT. I don't want to schlep one through an airport, and I don't think we'll need it, so I guess I'll just figure that one out on the fly. That sounds like a cheap way of doing things. (eye roll)

Having it in the airport is a big reason we bring one! MCO is a pretty big airport, imo, plus you have to get on the tram, probably have carry-ons, etc. That and back to the resort at night.

We put DD in a stroller when she was 18 months and that was the last time. Our plan when she was younger since we went in the summer was rope drop then back to hotel for a break and then back in the evening when things were cooled down. We didn't have a problem carrying and plus we enjoyed it so we could here her reactions and join in on the conversations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter