Do Kids Really Wear Costumes at Disney?

Clubhouse Mickey

Mouseketeer
Hello,

We will be going to Disney next month, and I wondering if kids really do take Disney costumes to wear like I see in pictures (i.e. guidebooks, etc.) ??

If so, where/when do kids usually wear? Any experiences to share?

Thanks so much. I am contemplating if it is worth the extra effort to bring her Mickey costume.

My daughter usually wears her costume one day out of the trip.:goodvibes

Oh, yes! Mainly, it is little girls wearing them, and it is lots of fun. The great thing is that many adults will get into it and pretend that the kids are actually the charecters.

My DD wore princess dresses two days out of our trip. Our next trip I will probably bring more. She loves wearing them and people and characters would comment on them. For example, she had on her Belle dress when she met Ariel and Ariel said something like Oh you are dressed up like my friend Belle. Have you met her? It gave DD something to chat with Ariel about.

There were lots of kids dressed up - especially girls and particularly at the character meals. At CRT, I don't think I saw one little girl that was not dressed up.

If you have the room, I would say pack the costume(s).

My dd wore her Cindy dress to CRT. We changed her into it right before lunch and then she wore it until we left the park that day. She got TONS of attention. Of course, she is pretty darn shy so all the attention was hard for her. But the CM are great!! They bowed to her, said hello princess, etc. It was so neat!!

Oh yes, you will see many children dressed up, mostly little girls as the princesses or Minnie Mouse, but there are some little boys that dress like Peter Pan or a pirate, maybe some other characters but those are the two I know I've seen several of over the years. My DD had Cinderella, Snow White, Jasmine, and Minnie Mouse costumes and different trips wore different ones on different days. Except for the Snow White dress that was very soft inside, she always wore clothes underneath because the dresses were somewhat scratchy on the inside. This made them more comfortable for her and also easy to slip off if she didn't want to wear them anymore.

Many times I would see little girls wearing the plastic costume shoes that went with the princess costumes and I would feel sorry for their little feeties if they were walking in those things all day, they don't look very comfortable at all. I always had my DD wear little white sandals or plain white Keds sneakers underneath.

My DD is 7 now and although she could probably still get into the XS Cinderella dress, it would be way too short, and I don't think she'd even want to wear it when we go to DL next month.....I will miss having a little princess!princess:

I would definitely pack a costume if you have one for at least one day of the trip! I always see kids wearing costumes and I think it's the cutest thing. And of course they usually get a lot of attention!

We don't always wear costumes, but we wear disney flair clothes...however, my dd4 wore her Ariel wedding dress and really loved it. The problem is, as other posters have said, it's really scratchy, and those shoes ARE NOT made for walkin' :)

I would say, pack it anyway. You'll be whappin' your head against the castle if you don't and she reallllyyyy wants it.

Good luck and have fun!
Maggi

My almost 4 year old son was Mickey last year for Halloween and wore the costume to MNSSHP at MK. But, we didn't get a chance to see Mickey while he was wearing his costume and get their picture together.
Fast forward to this year - he wants to be Mickey again. (Fine with me, just have to let the hem out of the pants), but we're going to WDW in Dec, so no Halloween party for us. He wants Mickey to see him dressed up as Mickey. So, it looks like we'll be bringing our costume to Chef Mickey's.
(or 1 of the way too many character meals we have planned)

For our first several trips we bought my dd the Princess dresses at WDW and she would get it and put it on and wear it on all the rides, to the restaurants, everywhere! If she got hot or sick of it we just put it in a bag.

Its really up to you/your child. I see tons and tons of little girls dressed up as princesses everytime we go.

DD is insisting that we bring her Donald Duck costume to wear to the parks for our next trip. I don't know that she'll last long before it gets too hot, but she'll be wearing it.

She has Minnie Mouse, Cinderella and Snow White too, and we'll be bringing those along. If the Disney Store costumes get cheap enough I'll probably pick up a couple more for our trip. She'd happily wear a different costume every day, or the same costume every day. :)

We go to WDW in Jan and my son has worn a costume every night because they are warm. He has been Mickey, tigger, pooh, goofy, and Buzz. I get them from my local thrift store or the Disney Store after Halloween sale.

To answer your question in one word. Y E S !!!!!! Sometimes you see the adults in costumes as well :rolleyes1

If you visit the kids disney boutique thread you will find a bunch of nuts who dress their kids up is costumes and disney custom boutique clothing. Frankly, I think they're a little weird:upsidedow

If you visit the kids disney boutique thread you will find a bunch of nuts who dress their kids up is costumes and disney custom boutique clothing. Frankly, I think they're a little weird:upsidedow

Hey T-beri,

I resemble that remark :lmao:

OMG yes - all over the place. Some you can tell spent alot of money of them - and I've seen them ruined, torn, etc. :(

If you wear em - just be careful I guess.

Just got back, and my DD8 wore her Belle dress all day one day. I took an extra outfit in case she wanted to change, but she never did because everyone kept calling her "Princess" and she loved it.

We did buy a comfy one though and not the scratchy ones. Got it from dressupclothesforkid.com, which we read about on these boards.

It was great fun.

My dd wore her Belle costume during the princess storybook breakfast but did not work around the parks in it. It was too hot in August to do that.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest