Do I need hopper passes for our very first trip?

Jenny-momof3

DIS Veteran
Since it's our first trip I imagine it will take us all day to go through the parks. We are staying 7 days probably and will by 6-7 day passes.

We have never gone without hoppers. You have a nice long trip for your first visit, so either way you'll get to see a lot, but we always like the option of being able to leave a park that is too busy and try another. I just like the flexibility of going where I want and not feeling "stuck" in the first park we go to on a given day.

On my next trip we are getting the parkhopper option.On my first trip missed a few attractions because of a busy day. But on a positive note it gives me more motivation to go back.:yay: I spent 13 hours at Epcot and still didn't see it all! Plus a little more time at AK and MGM would be nice. Have fun.:banana:

First trip, and if money is a problem, you don't need hoppers. But make sure you plan each park with an idea of what you want to see, and use the Fast Pass so you don't miss the highlights. Then you won't have to worry about going back for it.

While not strictly necessary, I think they're still nice on a first trip. Having them allowed us to do a "sweep" on the last day, picking up the rides here and there that we either hadn't gotten to or wanted to do again, at multiple parks. Without the hoppers, we would have had to pick one park for that last day, and miss out on the rest.

Is the fast pass part of the ticket? I know what it is but can't find any info on it.

Thanks!

I always recommend hoppers to everybody, whether it's their first trip or their 200th.

The hopper option is all about flexibility - it gives you the ability to change parks mid-day if the crowds get too heavy, to mix and match half-days so you don't miss special events, to finish your day in another park if you are in a park that closes early, to catch extra showings of Illuminations on your MK day or Wishes on your MGM day, to dine in Epcot on your AK day, and to change plans at the drop of a hat based on weather, crowds, special events, sudden park schedule changes, or your own personal preferences.

Get the hoppers!

I always go with the hopper. You never know when you might want to jump to another park. Especially when Animal Kingdom closes earlier than other parks, you can hop over to MK or EPCOT and see the fireworks. Plus, you are locked into where to eat that day when you don't have the hopper.

We always go with the Park Hopper option. One park may be more crowded than others or you may be caught in rain and want to head to a park that has more indoor activities.
Also, I would go ahead and get the additional day at the park. The price difference between the 1 day is usually less than $5, so even if you only go for a little while you would have gotton your monies worth.
Have a great trip!

I understand the reasons for getting park hoppers. And you won't be wrong should you choose to get them

But I don't think you need it because;

a) its your first trip, so every park, possibly with the exception of Animal Kingdon can be a full day for you
b) you have 7 days so you have more than enough time to see the parks
c) you don't need to waste part of your day traveling back and forth between parks
d) you'll save money which could be upwards of a couple hundred, but check for yourself.
e) a little less stress for yourself. you're at the park you've chosen, relax and enjoy it without worrying to go somewhere else.

Once you've gone to Disney a few times and know what you like and what you really like, a park hopper may make sense for you.

Good Luck with it, whatever you choose!

We have never gone without hoppers. You have a nice long trip for your first visit, so either way you'll get to see a lot, but we always like the option of being able to leave a park that is too busy and try another. I just like the flexibility of going where I want and not feeling "stuck" in the first park we go to on a given day.

We aboslutely get a park hoppers also for the reasons stated above. The flexibilty is great as far as park crowds. If you are staying on-site I would recommend the EMH in the a.m at whatever park had it and then hopping to a different park late morning when the first park gets crowded. My kids have favorite rides and sometimes we'll hop back to a park we have done before so they can ride those rides again.

We skipped the hopper option on our first trip this past December, and I'm glad we didn't spend the extra money. It was challenging enough navigating our way through one park a day. Knowing that we couldn't hop also forced me to plan the trip out more carefully -- which for us was a definite plus. We generally like to wing it a little, but Disney is no place for a beginner to wing it! We were much better off knowing that we were at THIS park today, and here's what's going on at THIS park today, rather than trying to decide "Hm, should we go to another park now? What's going on at the other parks now? Which other park should we go to, how do we get there, what if it's more crowded there?"

Also, you can add the hopper to your ticket later. If you've mastered the parks by day 5 and decide you're ready to try hopping, I'm pretty sure they can add it right at your hotel or any Guest Services.

My suggestion, from the perspective of someone who recently did her first-ever trip, is to leave hopping to them thar fanaticals what goes to Disney four or five times a year!!! ... Or at least until your next trip!

If you don't hop, though, just make sure one of your MK days is a day when Spectromagic is showing, because they don't have it every day.

We always do and will continue to do so.

We don't want to risk the possibility of not enjoying our vacation to the fullest. Plus, we don't have to manage our dinner reservations around which park we will be at each morning. We prefer to visit a park in the morning, then retreat to our resort before going back out for dinner.

If you like international food, EPCOT has some great choices and if you don't have a hopper, then you won't be able to maximize your choices!

I like the Hoppers for the flexibility they give you, especially if you are a "planner" :cool1: but not a "super planner" :dance3:

If you go to a park and feel it is not right for you that day for whatever reason, you can simply go to another.

If you want to be at one park but have ADRs in another, no worries

If one one of your final days you want to do a "clean up tour" you can do that to (On our last full day, BF and I did MGM, Epcot, MK, and MGM again just to see some of what we had missed).

I can't imagine going without them, but if you do I would say you would have to be a little more rigid in your planning than I am!

Also, you can add the hopper to your ticket later. If you've mastered the parks by day 5 and decide you're ready to try hopping, I'm pretty sure they can add it right at your hotel or any Guest Services.

That's an excellent point, and one I keep forgetting. Thank you! That's probably the best advice for the OP.

Just remember that adding the hopper option will cost $45, whether you are adding it to a completely unused ticket, or to w ticket with only one day left on it. $45, flat fee, no matter what.

TO me, it's better to add it at the beginning and have it available for the entire trip. If you wind up not using it, fine - lesson learned and you can save the $45 on your next trip.

But the way I figure, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter