DO I need a phone line for direct tv-need help

flyingcat2003

DIS Veteran
Hey Budget board I need help. I would like to get rid of my land line and use my cell phone only. All right here's the question. Do I have to keep my land line in order to keep my direct tv service? If I could get rid of my home phone it would save me some major money every month. Thanks for any info and have a magical day!

When we first moved our DirecTV service, we did have a phone line, but since then we've dropped our land line and moved exclusively to cell service. There's been no problems with our service...

The only time you need it is if you want to order from the TV, I don't have a phone line hooked to mine, if I want to order something then I have to do it from the web.

DirectTV will tell you that you do, but it's been 2 yrs since i've had one on

Yep, we haven't used the phone line on ours since our Directv/Hughes Tivo DVR got hit by lightning and fried the phone line into the DVR.

Since those DVR's are *incredible* and they're not being made anymore, and since we had ours upgraded to a monster hard drive by weaknees, we just unplugged the phone cord and we've been fine for six months.

You do get annoying messages on your directv that says "your directv receiver has not been able to connect to a phone line in 134 days, please connect now"-but we just delete those messages. That's about the only drawback of no phone...:thumbsup2

Yep! Your DVR will work fine without the phone line. Like a previous post said, you only need it the order pay per view directly from your remote. We just go online and order it there or call and use their automated system. :thumbsup2

I'm so mad. I can't believe that I have been wasting all this money for so long on my home phone line. Ugh! Thanks to all of you guys I want be wasting anymore money on this.

I was in the same situation, had a DVR and kept my land-line for that reason only. I do believe that the original DVR that I had needed a phone line but I upgraded to a new DVR for free two years ago and have not needed a phone line and I can still order movies through the TV.

I just fired my phone company. I did keep the internet service they provide. I hope I can find a cheaper isp soon. Is $37.95 too expensive? By getting rid of the land line I went from $89.74 a month to $ 37.95. Not bad but I want to lower even that. Thanks for all the help. You guys are the best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter