Dme....luggage only.....don't want to ride the bus!!!!!

so to clarify after reading all these posts... I am confident that I can put the yellow tags on our luggage, hire a towncar, head to the disney resort, then upon return send our luggaage off at RAC then hop back into the towncar back to MCO? We are thinking of ditching the DME bus for our next trip.
You can be confident about the return trip. RAC = curbside check-in, with the curb being +-30 miles from the gate.

I've read through many pages on this post but haven't seen this question yet. I am arriving at MCO at 8:30am and staying at SSR. My friend is arriving at MCO at 9:15am and staying at an All-Star. She has no need to go to her resort. She doesn't expect the room to be ready and will check-in online. Instead we will be heading to a park. I will be going to SSR as I need to store our electronics from our flight. Can she ride ME to SSR or will they only allow her to ride to her resort? If she is able to ride to SSR we would be able to all meet up there (we have another part of our party driving in) and then head to the park.

I've read through many pages on this post but haven't seen this question yet. I am arriving at MCO at 8:30am and staying at SSR. My friend is arriving at MCO at 9:15am and staying at an All-Star. She has no need to go to her resort. She doesn't expect the room to be ready and will check-in online. Instead we will be heading to a park. I will be going to SSR as I need to store our electronics from our flight. Can she ride ME to SSR or will they only allow her to ride to her resort? If she is able to ride to SSR we would be able to all meet up there (we have another part of our party driving in) and then head to the park.
She will have to take the bus to her resort.

I have a question regarding DME. We have once again promised the kids that we will go to LEGOLAND. But it is almost guaranteed we will be staying onsite at Disney (have flight but waiting for discounts to get room). We have an early flight which arrives at 10AM. My wife has the idea of renting a car from the airport and going to LEGOLAND on the day we arrive. This would give us a better rate than the Disney Car Care Center and get the day at LEGOLAND out of the way on a day we would just be hanging out at the resort. We would return the rental in the evening and ride DME to our resort. Does Disney allow this? Can we just let our luggage be delivered to the airport in the morning even though we are riding the DME in the evening?

I have a question regarding DME. We have once again promised the kids that we will go to LEGOLAND. But it is almost guaranteed we will be staying onsite at Disney (have flight but waiting for discounts to get room). We have an early flight which arrives at 10AM. My wife has the idea of renting a car from the airport and going to LEGOLAND on the day we arrive. This would give us a better rate than the Disney Car Care Center and get the day at LEGOLAND out of the way on a day we would just be hanging out at the resort. We would return the rental in the evening and ride DME to our resort. Does Disney allow this? Can we just let our luggage be delivered to the airport in the morning even though we are riding the DME in the evening?
My best answer would be 'probably'. It should be okay. The only issue is if the airline misdirects a bag, and no one lets them know until many hours later. BUT.....it used to be that when you checked in at the DME podium, they asked how many bags you checked. They no longer ask that. So, I'm not sure how they would know to start looking for a bag until a guest got to their room, and found a bag to be missing. And that could be many, many hours after they landed. So, while it should be fine, there are always things that can go wrong.

Goofy4tink, thanks for the information. I let my wife know that we could hedge our bets and handle our own luggage with the rental car. I could drop everything/body off at the resort after Legoland.

There has been a lot of previous discussion on tipping whoever is handling your luggage on this thread that has me confused. Advice would be much appreciated!

We will arrive at BLT by a town car service mid morning.(we will not be coming from MCO)
We will check in and get our magic bands at reception because we are coming from Australia. Most likely our room will not be ready so we will leave our bags at bell services.
When we return from the parks we will ring for our bags to be brought up to our room.
We also plan to have some essentials from Garden Grocer delivered.
When we leave we will check in our bags for DME in the morning. We will leave our carry on bags with bell services (correct?)
We will have some park time before we return to BLT and collect our carry on bags from bell services.
Not sure at this stage if we will get a town car or Disney bus to MCO.

Okay. In this maze of luggage handling who do we tip and when?

There has been a lot of previous discussion on tipping whoever is handling your luggage on this thread that has me confused. Advice would be much appreciated!

We will arrive at BLT by a town car service mid morning.(we will not be coming from MCO)
We will check in and get our magic bands at reception because we are coming from Australia. Most likely our room will not be ready so we will leave our bags at bell services.
When we return from the parks we will ring for our bags to be brought up to our room.
When we leave we will check in our bags for DME in the morning. We will leave our carry on bags with bell services (correct?)
We will have some park time before we return to BLT and collect our carry on bags from bell services.

You tip anyone who touches your bags when they are given to you. $1 to $2 per bag is standard.

You will tip your Towncar driver....usually about 15-20% of the fare. If the fare is $100, expected tip would be about $17.
For your bags....I usually leave $1 a bag when I drop my bags at Bell Services. When they are brought to my room, it's usually $2 per bag. Groceries tend to be brought up with bags....so same deal, $2 per bag.
Stored carry on bags get $1 a bag at drop off and $1 a bag when I pick them up (less because there's no room delivery).
If you take DME back, no tip is expected. You can tip if you feel it's warranted. If you use a car service, again a 15-18% tip on the fare going back to MCO.

You will tip your Towncar driver....usually about 15-20% of the fare. If the fare is $100, expected tip would be about $17.
For your bags....I usually leave $1 a bag when I drop my bags at Bell Services. When they are brought to my room, it's usually $2 per bag. Groceries tend to be brought up with bags....so same deal, $2 per bag.
Stored carry on bags get $1 a bag at drop off and $1 a bag when I pick them up (less because there's no room delivery).
If you take DME back, no tip is expected. You can tip if you feel it's warranted. If you use a car service, again a 15-18% tip on the fare going back to MCO.

Thank you goofy4tink that is most helpful.

So can you go to the magical express area and have them check you in by scanning your band and then leave the line and hop in a taxi? They would never know you weren't on the bus right? haha Does anyone know how much it is for a taxi and if you can just hail one?

So can you go to the magical express area and have them check you in by scanning your band and then leave the line and hop in a taxi? They would never know you weren't on the bus right? haha Does anyone know how much it is for a taxi and if you can just hail one?
I just don't see why you would do that? Huge waste of time. DME CMs are no longer asking how many bags you have, so there won't be any 'tracking' of missing bags...at least not until you get to the resort and realize that you don't have all your bags.

You get scanned again as you head to the actual bus. Does that have any bearing on luggage delivery? I have no idea. A cab will run you about $50+, I believe. If it were me? I wouldn't tag my bags and get them at baggage claim and book a car service. If I'm going to be paying for a ride to WDW, I'm not willing to wait 3+ hrs for my bags to arrive in my room!!! For me, the 'deal' with taking DME is the 'free' ride, not the luggage transfer.

If you want to tag your checked bags, and then pay for a ride to WDW, go for it. It's up to each person to decide what's best for them. Disney doesn't want you doing that but they don't do anything to stop it.

You can look
All that is just a huge waste of time. By the time you're done, taking a cab is only going to save you a few minutes. If I was going to go through all that, I would just ride the bus.

You can look up cab fare at taxifarefinder.com . It's probably going to run somewhere between $60 and $75 plus tip.

Due to airfare, we're flying in late the night before our FW reservation starts. I'm thinking of staying that first night at CB. Because of our arrival time and we're traveling Southwest we are responsible to claim our own bags (correct?). If we take DME to CB, will our tagged bags continue to FW and wait for our arrival the next day at check in time of 1pm? Also, what is the easiest/best way to get from CB to FW to check in? Thanks for the help and I hope this is rambling is clear.

Last edited:
Due to airfare, we're flying in late the night before our FW reservation starts. I'm thinking of staying that first night at CB. Because of our arrival time and we're traveling Southwest we are responsible to claim our own bags (correct?). If we take DME to CB, will our tagged bags continue to FW and wait for our arrival the next day at check in time of 1pm? Also, what is the easiest/best way to get from CB to FW to check in? Thanks for the help and I hope this is rambling is clear.

If you arrive after 10 pm DME will not touch your checked bags. Don't put the yellow tags on them, you will need to pick them up yourselves and take them to the bus.

As for moving your bags the next day, Disney will move them to the next resort for you. However, you will not see them again until around 4 pm, so anything you need for your day you need to take out and have with you. Once you are at your second resort call down and they will bring your bags up to you. It is customary to tip anyone who handles your bags for you, including the Magical Express bus driver at the CMs at the resorts.

If you arrive after 10 pm DME will not touch your checked bags. Don't put the yellow tags on them, you will need to pick them up yourselves and take them to the bus.

As for moving your bags the next day, Disney will move them to the next resort for you. However, you will not see them again until around 4 pm, so anything you need for your day you need to take out and have with you. Once you are at your second resort call down and they will bring your bags up to you. It is customary to tip anyone who handles your bags for you, including the Magical Express bus driver at the CMs at the resorts.

Perfect, thank you Maxiesmom. Who exactly moves the bags, do we call the front desk of CB (first resort) and ask them to pick them up and take them to second resort (FW)? Then I guess we can take any transportation to FW for check in there. What route would you suggest? Oh, and thanks for the reminder about tipping. We tned to be good tippers, people work hard! Thanks again, never have done the two resort stay/transfer thing!

Perfect, thank you Maxiesmom. Who exactly moves the bags, do we call the front desk of CB (first resort) and ask them to pick them up and take them to second resort (FW)? Then I guess we can take any transportation to FW for check in there. What route would you suggest? Oh, and thanks for the reminder about tipping. We tned to be good tippers, people work hard! Thanks again, never have done the two resort stay/transfer thing!
Yes, you can call them when you are ready to have the bags taken. I usually just take the bags to Luggage Assistance with me, when leaving for the morning. Just be aware that it won't be a quick service. You won't have access to your bags until late afternoon/early evening. Yes, they 'tell' you that bags are moved in early afternoon, but I have yet to get my bags prior to 5pm. And that's after having Disney move my bags about 10 times.
I'm now going to start taking a cab to my next resort, with my bags. Even if my room isn't ready, my bags will be at the right resort, and accessible if I need something in them.

Yes, you can call them when you are ready to have the bags taken. I usually just take the bags to Luggage Assistance with me, when leaving for the morning. Just be aware that it won't be a quick service. You won't have access to your bags until late afternoon/early evening. Yes, they 'tell' you that bags are moved in early afternoon, but I have yet to get my bags prior to 5pm. And that's after having Disney move my bags about 10 times.
I'm now going to start taking a cab to my next resort, with my bags. Even if my room isn't ready, my bags will be at the right resort, and accessible if I need something in them.

Thank you!! We'll plan on a taxi as well I think. After a bit more researching it looks a taxi is the easiest way to get from one resort to the other, then, we'll have our bags when we need them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter