Dme....luggage only.....don't want to ride the bus!!!!!

Bell Services/Luggage Assistance have no possible way to know, exactly, how many bags the guest left home with. The guest is never asked how many bags were checked. Yes, they grab, and scan, each tagged bag, multiple times. But....if a bag is misdirected by the airline, DME/RAC workers won't know that...so aren't looking for the correct number if bags.
Changing topics. If the above is true, then what happened to "if an airline misdirects a bag, DME will start the claim process"? Has that changed? If they don't know how many bags were checked, how do they know to start a claim?

Many have stated that was the policy, however no one has been able to point to anything that states that Disney says people shouldn't tip for DME luggage other than try to make inferences. Please show me something that states that Disney provides a tip or other compensation to baggage services for delivering DME luggage as many have stated.

Did you miss this?
Dear [kaytie],

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort.

Disney values all our guests. Our cast members are there to assist you with anything you may need. Tips are not expected or required.

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

[Representative] eCommerce Sales and Service Team

PLEASE NOTE: All information is subject to change without notice and should be confirmed just prior to your visit.

Original Message Follows: ------------------------

In the initial stages of planning a trip budget and expect to utilize the amazing Disney's Magical Express. Can you please let me know if I need to be in my room to tip Bell Services when they deliver my yellow-tagged luggage? Or is it true what I've heard, that Disney tips these wonderful Cast Members on our behalf?

Thank you in advance for your response.

Reservation number: [kaytie]

Correction, it's my nephew, not my son. Not getting tipped means no gas in the tank and tuition for college. He lives with us as his father passed away when he was an infant and his mother passed on two years ago. He is working his way through college. We can't afford to pay for it for him, and unfortunately his mother's illness cost every dime of her savings and he was 18, just graduated high school, and homeless if we hadn't taken him in.

I'm a server. I make $3.19 an hour, plus tips. Yes, I occasionally get a table that doesn't tip, or thinks that a religious tract counts as a tip. And, yes, that can be irritating. It's just part of the job. You can't control what other people do with their money.

If it ever gets to the point that I can't pay my bills, I won't expect the customers to change their ways, I'll just find a different job.

Many have stated that was the policy, however no one has been able to point to anything that states that Disney says people shouldn't tip for DME luggage other than try to make inferences. Please show me something that states that Disney provides a tip or other compensation to baggage services for delivering DME luggage as many have stated.

As I wrote in posts #371 and #376 of this thread, Disney's official Magical Express FAQ (for meeting attendees) had this as far back as 2005, when DME was first launched:
Q: Are Bell Service gratuities included for luggage delivery to my Resort room?

A: Yes, but for the inbound service only. Gratuities are not included if you elect to use Bell Services for luggage assistance when departing.

It's been 9 years. Disney continues to tell guests that there is no need to wait in their rooms for luggage delivery. The luggage delivery is part of the DME service.

Whenever I travel, I consider it my responsibility to understand who gets tips and who doesn't. It varies by country, and it also depends on how the person performing the service is compensated.

I always tip if I choose to use traditional bell service assistance with my bags, whether at WDW or elsewhere in the United States -- unless I clearly understand that tipping is not expected and that I won't even see the person providing the service. Whether betterbutter's nephew likes it or not, that's how it is with DME.

Along the same lines, if I eat at a table-service restaurant in the United Sates (and many other countries), I tip the server. However, if I go to a dinner event (such as a wine pairing dinner) where the price clearly states "gratuity included," I do not tip.

I'm sure most of ride operators at Disney parks earn only a little more than minimum wage, but I don't tip the Jungle Cruise skipper or the friendly CM who tells me where to sit on Test Track.

DD & I are taking DME to the VGF for a one night stay, then off to the BWV for another 10 nights (we're getting a rental car once at the BWV, as well as having our OL delivered).
We don't need the luggage that first night (using carryons).

so, is there any way to have our luggage delivered to the BWVs instead of the VGF? (avoid having to waiting for our luggage to transfer)

I doubt it, but figured would ask.......:scratchin

DD & I are taking DME to the VGF for a one night stay, then off to the BWV for another 10 nights (we're getting a rental car once at the BWV, as well as having our OL delivered).

so, is there any way to have our luggage delivered to the BWVs instead of the VGF? (avoid having to waiting for our luggage to transfer)

Doubtful, but call DME to make sure. If they insist on delivering to your first hotel, you can have bell services transfer the bags for free--but leave a lot of time for that-it will take more than a couple of hours.

Nope. Your DME ride/luggage transfer is tied to the resort reservation at the resort you are at that first day/night.
If it were me? I would take a cab over to BWVs first thing in the morning and get checked in. leave the bags with Bell Services and go off for the day.

Alright, please tell me what you (or your nephew) thinks should happen here...

(snip)

Now, WHOM do we tip? Are we supposed to go to luggage/Bell Services and give money to whomever is there? No. The next morning are we supposed to go to luggage/Bell Services and give money to whomever is there? No. Do we leave it in an envelope addressed to "whoever delivered bags to room #1234"? You may, but the mousekeeper, if he gets there first, might pocket it.

Standard operating procedure for Magical Express delivered bags is for them to be delivered to rooms not necessarily with the guest present and with no additional action required of the guest.

SOP for split stay bags (resort to resort transfer) is for the guest to telephone the front desk from the room and wait for the bags to be brought up, although once in awhile these bags may be delivered to the unattended room for such reasons as too much congestion at Bell Services.

Tips can be appreciated by bellhops bearing bags before you at all times without such tips being expected or required.

If a "tipped" employee does not receive wages plus tips at least equal to the minimum wage then the employer is responsible for making up the difference within that pay period.

When we've had a split stay and no rental car, I call bell services at the first resort to arrange the bag transfer to the second resort.

After the bellman loads up our bags and is ready to leave from our room, I tip that bellman.

After we check in at the second resort and are in our room (late afternoon), I call bell services to have our bags delivered. I tip that bellman when he has completed that service.

Dealing with different bell services teams at different Disney resorts, there is no expectation of tip sharing between those two bellmen.

Resort-to-resort baggage transfers are not part of DME.

I didnt see this asked in the 21 or so pages i read. SO i know about the possibility if you use the DME and not take the DME they could lose your luggage. What if you have them scan your band go to the line to stand in to go to your resort then leave and go get your car. I know this shady as anything, but it occurred to me if your really worried about DME not helping you if they lose the luggage, and still want to use a town car, couldn't you just do that?

Again as stated somewhere people do not ride DME but use the luggage service with no problems, but was just curious :)

What if you have them scan your band go to the line to stand in to go to your resort then leave and go get your car.
This has been previously discussed. They used to ask how many bags you had but have seemed to stopped doing that. We used it as a transfer a year ago and had no problems. You are probably just wasting time having your band scanned.

Sorry- I didn't see this question already in my quick scan.

Can my husband and kids ride the dme so they can check in, etc. (The luggage can go with dme also.) while I go get the rent a car (it's an offsite place and might take a minute.)

Do people do that? Is there some reason it won't work that I'm not thinking of?

Sorry- I didn't see this question already in my quick scan.

Can my husband and kids ride the dme so they can check in, etc. (The luggage can go with dme also.) while I go get the rent a car (it's an offsite place and might take a minute.)

Do people do that? Is there some reason it won't work that I'm not thinking of?

Yes.

Nevermind I see the response in the post above. Thanks though.

~~~~~~

I attempted a search but could not find the answer and I scanned a few pages, but I admit not all 21 pages.

Question 1) We have DME reserved with our stay and I have already received the Mickey Mail with the yellow tags. We just had to change our flight inbound to MCO and will now arrive 4 hours earlier. Departing flight and hotel are still the same. I completed a new form for DME, are the old yellow tags no longer good?

Question 2) We are a party of 6 all staying in a family suite at AoA and taking the same flights. One member of our party is renting a car from MCO, but the rest of us still want to take DME. Can that one member still check bags with the yellow tag and participate in DME with everything except the ride? My interpretation of the information on page 1 is yes she can do this, but I am nervous about it causing problems checking in on the departing flight.

Thanks for any help!

I am going in November with my husband, our 1 year old, my 74 year old mother and my 7 year old niece. My husband always needs a rental car. However, I love the idea of not having to transport our luggage when we arrive. I'm thinking I will let my husband go get the rental car and set up the car seat in the car, while the rest of us will take the bus. 1 year olds just sit on laps on the bus correct? Even though my husband wouldn't be riding, am I safe to assume his luggage would arrive along with the rest of ours? A little nervous to try this but I'm willing to ride the bus to make it easier with transporting everything with a 1 year old, 7 year old, and a senior citizen!

I am going in November with my husband, our 1 year old, my 74 year old mother and my 7 year old niece. My husband always needs a rental car. However, I love the idea of not having to transport our luggage when we arrive. I'm thinking I will let my husband go get the rental car and set up the car seat in the car, while the rest of us will take the bus. 1 year olds just sit on laps on the bus correct? Even though my husband wouldn't be riding, am I safe to assume his luggage would arrive along with the rest of ours? A little nervous to try this but I'm willing to ride the bus to make it easier with transporting everything with a 1 year old, 7 year old, and a senior citizen!
That's completely fine.

Haven't sifted through the pages of comments but thought I'd relay my experience from 2 weeks ago...

We had a 5:10am flight to MCO. Got to airport at 3:50am to be in line for TSA opening at 4am. Skycap wasn't open outside so we had to wait in line at SW counter to check in one bag (which was pretty much empty...regretting that decision now). Got to TSA line around 4:10am figuring we were fine on time. Long story short my 18yr old has no license and his passport is expired. He had his high school and college ID's with him but that obviously wasn't sufficient for TSA so they had to do the expanded background check. Instead of assisting him first, they went to a girl who arrived 10min after we had already been waiting for a TSA supervisor and we missed the flight.

SW agreed to rebook us (as standby) on the next flight out but there weren't seats available. Long story short, SW couldn't find a way to get us out on a *guaranteed* flight that day so we were forced to fly JetBlue but remember, I had checked a bag already. Wound up getting to MCO earlier than original flight was scheduled to arrive. SW told me they didn't know where my bag was but they'd have to open a claim.

When we got to resort we called SW and started the claim process then went on about our day in the park. When we got back to our room that evening, my bag had magically appeared. YAY for DME and bell services!!

so to clarify after reading all these posts... I am confident that I can put the yellow tags on our luggage, hire a towncar, head to the disney resort, then upon return send our luggaage off at RAC then hop back into the towncar back to MCO? We are thinking of ditching the DME bus for our next trip.

so to clarify after reading all these posts... I am confident that I can put the yellow tags on our luggage, hire a towncar, head to the disney resort, then upon return send our luggaage off at RAC then hop back into the towncar back to MCO? We are thinking of ditching the DME bus for our next trip.
I highly doubt anyone here is going to tell you that yes, you can be confident about doing that. Have people done this with no issues? Yes, many have. BUT......Disney will tell you that you can not book just luggage delivery, that it is a perk of using the DME bus. If something goes wrong, say the airline misdirects your luggage and you don't realize it until hours later, you 'could' have an issue.

Now, having said all this...we have no idea how bags are tracked. They used to ask you how many bags you checked and plugged that into the system. I haven't been asked this question in a very long time..unless there was an issue such as a resort change that hadn't made it into their system. I believe that as soon as luggage handlers, at MCO, see a yellow tagged bag, they put it aside. Then all the tagged bags are gathered and sent to the appropriate resort. I'm not even sure they actually scan them.....yes, my luggage tag said POP, but if you brought up my reservation number (as listed on the tag) it said POR. We had bags delivered to Pop!! Took forever to get to us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter