DLP with a 1 Year Old

Bilboo

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone,

Well we couldn't wait any longer, we had decided to have a break from Disney until our son was 2 so he could enjoy it properly but it all got too much and we've had to book 4 nights in September.

We're staying in the Hotel Cheyenne (where we've stayed before) but this is the first time we've been to any Disney park with a child (never mind our own), so if anyone's got any hints and tips for having a stress free trip to DLP with a 13 month old boy please pass them on.

A couple of the things that have sprung to mind is has anyone used their baby equipment (eg cots, buggies, bottle warmers) and was it any good or do you think we should bring our own (I'm thinking more along the lines of the buggy really)

Thanks in advance

Bilboo.

I think you will be fine with the Disney equipment.. we travelled 2 weeks ago but stayed in an offsite hotel . I heard all good things about the baby equpment in the park when talking with other parents. During the day the baby care center has everything you need for your child... In case you run out of anything you can buy it there or can go to the big supermarket one RER station away. Auchon has really everything you wnat and it is 5 minutes away !
Our baby boy really enjoyed small world... and the characters of course
And most important.. it is your vacation.. take it easy and be prepared to see and do only 20% of the things you did without a child.... !!!
Have fun and if i can help with any information please let me know !

Stephan

Hi :wave:

We first took DS to Disneyland Paris when he was 6 months old.

The best thing to keep in mind is to have a very flexible plan to fit in times for your son to rest and recharge after a morning or day of activity. I'm not sure about your son, but we also go back to the hotel at around 2pm for a rest and then head back in to the parks at about 4 or 5pm.

We took our own buggy and 'general equipment' (e.g. bottles, bottle warmers etc.) and didn't really make use of any of the equipment that was offered to be hired out. The buggies seem o.k at Disneyland Paris, but our DS is pretty fussy and we found it much easier having our own with us for the trip.

The hotel staff all seem to be very friendly and were more than happy to provide cots etc. for the stay.

Like Stephan said, just remember that it is your holiday and don't expect to have covered the whole two parks from top to bottom. We found that DS loved seeing the characters even more than he does now (and he still loves seeing them) - just be prepared to go at a much slower pace and take more time.

Richard. :)

We've used the buggys at DLP and found them fine though it was a while ago . Youngest is 11 on Monday!

My advice is bring your own. Bear in mind you have to give them back when you exit the park so will have to carry your son every where else. just a thought.

when we hired them they all had a large Pole at the back, for easy spotting I think?????
we tied something to this pole to make identification much easier.
all the disney buggys are the same.
Even if they are a different style I would recommend tieing something to the handle for identification.

also keep your receipt if you loose the buggy they'll relace it.

we went last year with our DD who was 22 months. The biggest problem I found was the milk. They only sold long life, smelt terrible and gave our DD a awful tummy (I won't go into detail!). We had to stop giving her milk and gave just water. I would take powdered milk next time. We should have gone to the supermarket and stocked up on water, as the water was really expensive. You can get a kettle from the hotel, but you will have to pay a deposit. Besides that they food is good and we had a wonderful time.

When I went in May 2003 I spotted the following which might help-
Bring own pushchair as when you leave park you can't take hire one with you - this includes going from Studios to main Park !

Also, I would bring a bicycle padlock with you as I was stunned that all those expensive pushchairs were being left unattended and unsecure by the rides !

My own children are aged between 11 and 4 so I can't comment on the minutiae of taking a little tot along, but from what I could see there were a lot of fraught parents and little children, so planning ahead and pacing yourselves seem to be the key. Simply don't expect to get very much done and realise that it's your child's treat and not yours and you'll get along just fine !

Good luck!

Hi there Bilboo

We coulnt wait to go back to DLP either after our little man was born
In fact his first visit was when he was 3 months old!!
We have since been back twice, once at 12 months and once at 15 months, so i reckon we pretty much know how to do DLP with a baby in tow.

It is a very different experience to going as a couple, but even better as you see it through a different light.

the highlight for us, especially when our little one was 12 months, was the charcter experince. We had thought he may be overawed by them but far from it. he adored them from the first glimpse of his hero Mickey. We have found charcter dining is a better way to meet and greet than on the streets as the little man was in a high chair so he was on their level and there was no crowd. The characters were FAB with him and obvoiusly seemed pleased to play with him. We even have a video of Chip and Dale sat down with us spoon feeding Jack.

it brings a lump to your throat!!!

The hotel have been great with us on each visit. We have alsways been given a rrom with a king size bed so there was lots of space, the cot provided was a really nice travel cot and they gave us nice sheets and towels for the child. You can borrow a kettle for warming bottles in your room.

The high chairs are excellent and plenty are avialble in every restaurant, even fast food places. Everywhere was more than happy to warm bottles, baby food etc.:cool:

Take your own pram. the DLP ones are basic and it will be a long walk back to your hotel without!! We have always left ours unlocked at rides with no probs, but had a small bag with our valuables to carry with us.

The baby care centres are great. Plenty of space for feeding, changing, a microwave and bottle warmers. they also sell baby food and nappies etc, as do the hotel shops.

Finally, the first time you watch a parade, make sure you are not right under a speaker!!! WE usually get ours to have a snooze in the pram just after lunch will we take up a position on a banch for the parade.

Have a great time!!!!

If you have any more questions let me know.

Hedgehog

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter