• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DL help: Cannot stand in line, POTS (Update Post 38)

That's what I thought someone said but then it was said you can't sit on them on line and that kind of confused me. that's why I thought maybe it was two different voices, one about policy and one about opinion
No one said that. They don't allow canes which become folding stools to be used as seats. It's been said in this thread that those can't be used as seats, no one has said anything about not allowing rollators or nor allowing them as seats. Now I could see if someone decided to sit on it blocking an emergency exit that might be an issue, but that's probably true of a wheelchair or ECV too.

What's the reason that they won't allow a disabled person to use a walker with the seat as a seat while in line? Trying to imagine a reasonable explanation why something that makes a disabled persons world safer would be disallowed and I am coming up with nothing. Is this really a park policy or just some able bodied person's idea that it's cheating somehow. I would find it really interesting if it's just forbidden without an explanation

a rollator is NOT a cane with a seat attached to it. Rollators are regular normal walkers with a seat. tho cane seats are CRAP. they are NOT sturdy AT ALL and not stable by any stretch of the imagination.

rollators are allowed
canes with seats are not.

I think but cannot be certain that those knee walker things are also allowed

a rollator is NOT a cane with a seat attached to it. Rollators are regular normal walkers with a seat. tho cane seats are CRAP. they are NOT sturdy AT ALL and not stable by any stretch of the imagination.

rollators are allowed
canes with seats are not.

I think but cannot be certain that those knee walker things are also allowed
I agree with you on the Cain set. As fair as the knee walker I have seen them in the park and no CM have gone up to them at all

Whoa... let's take a step back. It has been established in this thread (and others) that:
1) a "cane with seat" is only allowed for use as a cane not as a seat
2) rollators (a walker with a seat) are allowed

No further discussion about it.

Does anyone have suggestions or experience with POTS and managing the parks?

For me the biggest thing is heat. Most DL queues are outdoors, so even if they are shaded, they are hot in the spring, summer, and fall. I already use a wheelchair for other reasons and I still sometimes feel dizzy or faint. In the past, I have almost passed out, even when sitting.

Even with a DAS (for other issues), I still end up in 10-30 minute return lines, so I need that wheelchair. I make sure I have cold drinks, and always have water with me. I alternate between indoor and outdoor things, so I never overheat. I eat smaller meals, since too much salt or a spike in blood sugar does not make it worse.

Invest in a tiny pulse oximeter or a Fitbit or something you can keep with you that measures your HR. Keep a watch on that, and go to first aid to lay down if it gets too high.

I cannot say whether a DAS will help the OP, or whether they qualify for it. I will say this to the OP - if you have a wheelchair or rollator and you STILL have problems that make you leave a queue for safety reasons, then go back and speak to a CM again. They may have ideas to help.

Is this a situation that allows me to go speak to the people for a DAS? Will they advise me simply to get a wheelchair even though it's not a mobility issue?

1) This, indeed is a mobility issue.
2) Most likely, a DAS would be refused.
3) You should get a wheelchair or ECV or rollator.

It's so odd that people site the policy like it set in stone, used to be a different policy and it's changed so no reason to think it can't change it back again. Is there a way to request it be changed? Who's in charge of this policy anyway? Is there a phone number or department or email address? Something? For all we know the person who made the decision might not even work there anymore

It's so odd that people site the policy like it set in stone, used to be a different policy and it's changed so no reason to think it can't change it back again. Is there a way to request it be changed? Who's in charge of this policy anyway? Is there a phone number or department or email address? Something? For all we know the person who made the decision might not even work there anymore
What policy that a das is not used for mobility issues? That's pretty set in stone. It was one of the reasons the gac became unworkable. We've been asked in the past not to debate the merits of the das program so I will just say Disney is defending themselves (and winning) against multiple lawsuits centered around their use of the das program. I do not foresee them making substantial changes to the program they are spending tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars defending

Are you talking about the old GAC or the new DAS because the DAS has always been for mobility problems to use a wheel chair, now the OP or any one can always go into GR and talk to the CM about there problems and what will make lines easer for them. If the CM suggest something they do not feel will work for them then they can tell the CM why they do not think it will work, they can ask to speck to a manager and see what they say, or they can chose to see if what the CM at GR suggested will work for them and if not then they can go back to GR and talk to them about there needs. The das is not something that you have to ask for at the begging of your trip it is not something that you can only ask for one time. ( I had to ask 2x to first get one since I have a very hard time explaining why I need one, this is why I suggest people that are having a hard time write down there need, there are times I can not even say I need to renew my DAS but I can type it out on my phone.)

I don't want to debate it here what I'm saying is wouldn't the company itself have an entity available for me to communicate with? The DIS is not Disney so this isn't the place to go. I'm a 24 year customer, must be somewhere someone at Disney who is in charge and who manages customer service. You're not saying The Dis is actually Disney customer service are you? If so that's something to ponder

You are certainly welcome to contact Disney directly with your concerns or feedback. This is from the WDW website:

Where can I go if I have more questions? Guests with additional questions should discuss them with Guest Relations. For general questions, call (407) 560-2547. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call.

Thank you for keeping the debate offline :)

1) Correct about canes with an attached "seat".
2) The person using it can teeter and fall.
3) Anyone walking by could accidently trip on it and the person using it could fall.
4) Basically, if WDW allowed canes with seats, it would mean Permanent-Employment-for-Lawyers.

The policy was changed because it couldn't sustain itself. It had to be changed, not because of people "faking" disabilities, but because those with disabilities were given an access that was not equal to the standard access, and overwhelming the FP system. They can't go back - FP can't handle the crowds.

I don't want to debate it here what I'm saying is wouldn't the company itself have an entity available for me to communicate with? The DIS is not Disney so this isn't the place to go. I'm a 24 year customer, must be somewhere someone at Disney who is in charge and who manages customer service. You're not saying The Dis is actually Disney customer service are you? If so that's something to ponder

You can tell them whatever, but don't be surprised if they tell you they have no intention of going back to the old, overwhelmed system. The courts have told them they don't have to.

I have a movement disorder called dystonia which gets worse when I'm excited, anxious,nervous,or worried it has gotten so bad in the past that we have to take me to the e.r. does anyone think that I qualify for the DAS?

I have a movement disorder called dystonia which gets worse when I'm excited, anxious,nervous,or worried it has gotten so bad in the past that we have to take me to the e.r. does anyone think that I qualify for the DAS?
You have to explain why waiting out side the lines will help you GR dose not care about DX

Most likely they will tell you to get a wheelchair. You can still ask, but have a back up plan in case they say no. You can get a wheelchair and push it, and only use it when you need to sit in line. Your 8 year olds might love for you to push them through the park! They also make walkers/rollators with fold out seats, but Iwould imagine the wheelchair would be easier. I have read some people on here say the cane seats aren't allowed, although others say they've seen them used.

The canes with chairs are not allowed in the parks, as they're considered unsafe due to the possibility of toppling over.

A "cane seat" should be allowed for use as a cane. It likely would not be allowed for use as a seat, so not a very useful item in this situation.

One thing to note is that the DLR park has fewer accessible queues than the California Adventure park (which is newer). You may be given a "wheelchair return time" depending how busy the park is that day/time.

Enjoy your visit!

No one said that. They don't allow canes which become folding stools to be used as seats. It's been said in this thread that those can't be used as seats, no one has said anything about not allowing rollators or nor allowing them as seats. Now I could see if someone decided to sit on it blocking an emergency exit that might be an issue, but that's probably true of a wheelchair or ECV too.

Canes with seats are allowed. Sue even said in a thread a little over a month ago they were allowed...
OP, I also have the info for a contact person in the disabilities dept concerning this exact issue. If you would like that info, feel free to PM me.
Screenshot_2017-01-26-01-12-45.png

Just an update, I decided to rent an ECV, since even a trip to the grocery store can be a challenge right now. Any ECV tips for a new user who is a) scared of it and b) not excited about going because I feel so awful?

Just an update, I decided to rent an ECV, since even a trip to the grocery store can be a challenge right now. Any ECV tips for a new user who is a) scared of it and b) not excited about going because I feel so awful?

No tips but I really hope that the ecv is the tool you need to help you enjoy the trip!

Here is another thread where the same thing is being talked about so you can get some ideas there too. http://www.disboards.com/threads/fi...ing-help-request.3575840/page-2#post-57100649

My MIL uses one only at Disney and had the same feelings. Here are some tips we found
-Go to the grocery store and practice driving one there so you have some experience.
-Renting one from an off site vender tends to be cheaper and lets you use one to and from the car/bus
-People will walk, stop, and dart out in front of you all the time. It takes just as much attention to drive a scooter as a car to avoid hitting people.
-Relax and don't worry about what other people think. You know your abilities and if having a scooter will make the trip better for you and your child, then get the scooter!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter