• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DL help: Cannot stand in line, POTS (Update Post 38)

bekkiz

DIS Veteran
Since my last trip to a Disney park, an underlying autoimmune condition has significantly worsened and I suffer from POTS due to it. Basically, if I stand up for too long, I get super light-headed and nauseous and feel like I might pass out. As long as I can walk around and keep moving (or escape to a place to sit down!), I'm usually ok, but lines are a real killer. I was not in this bad of shape when we booked our trip but a number of factors seem to have made things worse in the last few months.

I have a few questions, since this is all new territory for me:

1) Is this a situation that allows me to go speak to the people for a DAS? Will they advise me simply to get a wheelchair even though it's not a mobility issue?

2) I will be alone with my 2 8 year olds for the first 1/2 of the day in the parks. If a wheelchair is advised, can I ask for a DAS for at least the first part when I am the only adult?

3) The other thing I considered was a cane that folds into a chair. Does anyone have experience with these? Are they a pain to carry around and keep popping open and closed in lines? I'm also a little worried constant up and down might make things worse.

thank you!

Most likely they will tell you to get a wheelchair. You can still ask, but have a back up plan in case they say no. You can get a wheelchair and push it, and only use it when you need to sit in line. Your 8 year olds might love for you to push them through the park! They also make walkers/rollators with fold out seats, but Iwould imagine the wheelchair would be easier. I have read some people on here say the cane seats aren't allowed, although others say they've seen them used.

Since my last trip to a Disney park, an underlying autoimmune condition has significantly worsened and I suffer from POTS due to it. Basically, if I stand up for too long, I get super light-headed and nauseous and feel like I might pass out. As long as I can walk around and keep moving (or escape to a place to sit down!), I'm usually ok, but lines are a real killer. I was not in this bad of shape when we booked our trip but a number of factors seem to have made things worse in the last few months.

1) Is this a situation that allows me to go speak to the people for a DAS? Will they advise me simply to get a wheelchair even though it's not a mobility issue?

2) I will be alone with my 2 8 year olds for the first 1/2 of the day in the parks. If a wheelchair is advised, can I ask for a DAS for at least the first part when I am the only adult?

3) The other thing I considered was a cane that folds into a chair. Does anyone have experience with these? Are they a pain to carry around and keep popping open and closed in lines? I'm also a little worried constant up and down might make things worse.

thank you!
1 the fact that you either need to move or sit I would think Disney would think this is mobility.

2 I would plane on them saying no. I would ty to have a good Turing plan so that you are not standing in very long lines.

3 I can say that at Disney world every time ( 3 or 4) that I have seen a guest sit in one I have seen a CM go up to them and say they were not allowed to use them, I did see one guest sit in one and there was no one around the guest and the guest fell out and broke her arm ( no I am not a DR and will not say how I know, but her arm was broken and there was no question if it was, pretty sure her vacation was over) now there is someone that will say in some situation they are allowed ( like if there is no crowds around, but I have seen CM go up to people were their really was no crows around and ask them not to use them ( I think it was ma'am/sir there is a bench her that would be safer for you to use as a set we do not want you to fall or a mother guest to trip over you. ( no I was not listening in on a coversation it happened right in front of me)

so I would not bring one and you said the up and downs might make it worse any ways.

I think the best thing for you is just plane on renting a wheel chair or a scooter and letting you 8 year old know that you have a new medical problem and that because of this you have to keep moving and that you will have find short lines when you are a lone ( let them help with this is might be fun) maybe they can stand behind you and give you a little room to move in line ( or would walking in place, lifting your knees up higher help) I some times need more room in line and I have asked guest behind me if they would not mind giving me more space and I thin every time they have done this for me ( one time a CM was asking for every one to fill in all the space the guest being me quietly told the CM that I needed more space and he said this was fine,

I hope you have a great trip and remember you will get a lot of answer to this question most people here are not CM and the very few of us that are are not going to be the CM that you will see at Disneyland but you are still allowed to go and talk to the CM at GR about your needs and see what they say I just believe they will say this is a mobility problem and was letting you know what I think so that you can plan. also if you do have a well chair most lines at Disney land are not assessable to wheel chair and they will give you a return time to comeback latter ( DCA is newer and more assessable) so I would do Disneyland when you are lone

thank you!

My daughter has gotten a DAS the last 3 trips to WDW.

At WDW, this is why we get the DAS for my son, who is autistic. I am sure, in Orlando anyway, they would give you the assistance service. I don't know about California.

One of my best friends has POTS, and she is always able to get a DAS in WDW. POTS is more than a mobility issue, but be ready to explain that since it's not something the general public will understand.

After spending the summer with her (we were at the parks 4-5 days a week) the most important things are to be aware of how you are feeling and stop when you need to, even if you don't want to. And be aware of where first aid is, and be willing to explain the situation if necessary. Many of the medical cast will know what POTS is, but it can sound worse than it really is sometimes. For my friend, if she ever got bad, we would head over to first aid, request a bed to lie down in and grab a Powerade while she normalized. Not a big deal, and the fact that she was able to explain exactly what she needed helped with the process a lot

One thing to consider is that in CA the FP merge points are much, much farther back. The entire inside part of the queue for Space Mountain is after the merge. And you'll sometimes encounter a line just to give the CM your FP or DAS. For some rides, like POTC they limit how many people loading from the HA/DAS return line can ride at once, so you can end up standing in a line inside for up to 2 ride cycles. I don't know why a cane with a seat is a portable seat and not a mobility device but a wheelchair is a mobility device and not a portable seat?

I have POTS, and Disney's official stance on the needs seems to have been to get a wheelchair (less than helpful, I know). My solution for park touring, as well as everyday life, has been to get a rollator. You can rent one for the parks, but if you're going for more than a few days it's cheaper to buy one outright. It's easier than a wheelchair to push along and then sit as needed.

The canes with chairs are not allowed in the parks, as they're considered unsafe due to the possibility of toppling over.

I think the problem with getting a DAS ( for any disability ) is you need to explain why you can not wait in the line and why having something to sit in will not work. if any one can go into GR and explain this then they will give you a DAS. I have never said what my DX is only what I need in line ( or why lines are hard for me) I have never been ( well there was one time a CM did not believe me but that is a mother story) denied a DAS if you feel you need a DAS and the CM say no I would try the park with out it and they it the way the CM says, if you find it is not working for you them you are more then welcomed to go back to GR and say I have tried XYZ and because of ABC it is not working for megs there something you/I can do to make the park better for me.

I have read reports here of guests with POTS receiving a DAS. I suggest you explain how else the condition impacts you, without focusing on the need to move as that would be considered "mobility." Nobody here can guarantee a DAS will be given but you can ask. A DAS would not be given "just for the morning" when you are alone with the kids, so having an alternate plan would be a good idea in case the DAS is denied.

Even with a DAS there are lines, sometimes as much as 15-20 minutes, slow moving and/or stop/go. I would plan to use either an ECV or push a wheelchair so you have a seat when needed. I think you would hate for your kids to experience you having an issue in line because the line was longer than you expected -- which can happen due to crowds or a ride break-down.

A "cane seat" should be allowed for use as a cane. It likely would not be allowed for use as a seat, so not a very useful item in this situation.

One thing to note is that the DLR park has fewer accessible queues than the California Adventure park (which is newer). You may be given a "wheelchair return time" depending how busy the park is that day/time.

Enjoy your visit!

Just wondering if they allow the sorts of walkers with seats?
Yes they do

As fair as the Cain with set I think you can bring them in and if a CM ask that you not sit on them then you can ask for a higher up to say yah or nah on if you can use it as a set. But after seeing CM go up to other guest and the guest fall out of one I just would not bother with one

An idea is to make up some cards to give your kids, just in case something happens when you're alone with them and you're not able to explain to the medical team what's going on and what your immediate needs would be. I know how quickly things can go from "okay" not "definitely not okay".

One thing to consider is not just how long you can stand, but whether light or heat affect you. Many if not most DL queues are outdoors, though sometimes shaded. That means not just an ability to wait in lines, but wait in line (sometimes) in the heat. If you go in summer this is a real consideration.

Also, do you do okay sitting in sunlight or heat? Depends on the person, of course, but you need to know if you will be safe sitting if it gets hot. Al depends on what time of year you go.

1: actually I would classify it as a mobility issue and I bet the CM will too. furthermore how long is 'too long'? even using DAS and the FP lines you can still be in line for 10-20 minutes at times.

2: again, not sure a DAS would be of any use to you, m regardless of the circumstances.

3: they cannot be used as seats while in lines, only as a cane.

the best option is probably a wheelchair combined with a solid touring plan and judicious application of your 3 FP+

or, just plan on wandering around the first half of the day and only doing things that keep you mobile or near seating.

the best option is probably a wheelchair combined with a solid touring plan and judicious application of your 3 FP+

or, just plan on wandering around the first half of the day and only doing things that keep you mobile or near seating.

the OP is going to Disneyland but I do agree that if the OP went in and told GR what they listed here was why they needed a DAS the GR would more then likely say no. Now if there are other things that are not related to standing sitting moving in line that a wheel chair would not cover then they might be issued a DAS card.

What's the reason that they won't allow a disabled person to use a walker with the seat as a seat while in line? Trying to imagine a reasonable explanation why something that makes a disabled persons world safer would be disallowed and I am coming up with nothing. Is this really a park policy or just some able bodied person's idea that it's cheating somehow. I would find it really interesting if it's just forbidden without an explanation

What's the reason that they won't allow a disabled person to use a walker with the seat as a seat while in line? Trying to imagine a reasonable explanation why something that makes a disabled persons world safer would be disallowed and I am coming up with nothing. Is this really a park policy or just some able bodied person's idea that it's cheating somehow. I would find it really interesting if it's just forbidden without an explanation
They do allow rollators.

They do allow rollators.
That's what I thought someone said but then it was said you can't sit on them on line and that kind of confused me. that's why I thought maybe it was two different voices, one about policy and one about opinion

That's what I thought someone said but then it was said you can't sit on them on line and that kind of confused me. that's why I thought maybe it was two different voices, one about policy and one about opinion
I have seen CM ask people not to sit in Cains with a set not rollers is all I have seen ( I have also seen a guest try to sit in a stool too )

but yes walkers with a set and roller ( both also most the same thing) I have never seen any CM go up to any one in them and ask them not to sit in them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter