DJI Phantom

MarkBarbieri

Semi-retired
Seen a DJI Phantom? It's a quadcopter designed to carry a GoPro. I'm guessing that they won't let you take one of these with you in the parks, but they are a lot of fun. There are much better UAVs for photography and cheaper UAVs, but I think the Phantom stands out for price/performance.

Here is a sample I shot yesterday:
https://vimeo.com/75179277

Verry kewl!

A couple of questions before I buy one.

1. How much gyrocopter flying have you done prior to this gadget? It looked like you knew what you were doing. How many 'hours' are in your logbook?

2. How noisy is it? It's electric, but it's got four rotors...

TIA

Verry kewl!

A couple of questions before I buy one.

1. How much gyrocopter flying have you done prior to this gadget? It looked like you knew what you were doing. How many 'hours' are in your logbook?

2. How noisy is it? It's electric, but it's got four rotors...

TIA

It is super easy to fly. The only copter flying I've done in the past was those little indoor things you get at the mall and I could never control them worth a crud. The controls for this are really simple. They consist of 2 levers. Left lever axis 1 is up and down, and axis 2 is rotate left or right. Right lever axis 1 is forward or backward, and axis 2 is drift left or right.

In GPS mode, it tries to hold position. In reality, it drifts a little here or there but generally stays where you left it.

The hardest part of controlling it is when you get it so far away that you have a hard time seeing which direction it is heading. You have to just try some controls and see what it does.

It is also smart enough to remember where it took off from. If the controller fails, it will autopilot itself to an altitude of 60 feet about the starting point, then fly back over the starting point, hover for 15 seconds, and then land itself.

The video you saw was split between myself (the part up to where I fly it into a tree) and my 13 year old son. Neither of us had any significant copter experience and none with a quad copter. That was my fourth or fifth flight (a battery lasts about 10 minutes of flying time) and my son's second flight.

As for noise, it's about as loud as an electric string trimmer. When it is close, it definitely buzzes a lot. Once you get it 20 feet away, you hardly notice it. If that's important to you, I'll get out a decibel meter and give you some readings.

So far, it seems durable. I've crashed it into the ground once and trees twice and it has survived with nothing more than nicked blade (which I sanded out and re-balanced).

If you plan on ordering one for photo/video work, I would expect to buy some accessories. So far, I bought a case for carrying it. I bought a propeller balancing system. I bought a little carbon fiber and rubber stabilizer. I also bought an extra battery. After playing with it for a few days, I decided to order two more batteries and a second charger. Batteries are good for 8-10 minutes of flight time and require about 2 hours to charge. With four batteries and two chargers, I'll be able to get in a little over half and hour of flights in with a four hour charging break between groups of flights.

I also bought an extra battery. After playing with it for a few days, I decided to order two more batteries and a second charger. Batteries are good for 8-10 minutes of flight time and require about 2 hours to charge.

For batteries and a good charger, you can go to hobbyking.com. They are just 3S x 2200 lithium polymer batteries like we use in our RC helicopters & planes. Least expensive place to buy and they have a US warehouse.

Having said that, be VERY vigilant and careful when charging and storing the LiPo batteries. They "can" ignite, particularly while charging, without warning and 3S x 2200's can shoot a flame about 12 to 15' into the air. If they show any signs of "puffing" while charging, disconnect them immediately.

I personally have not had any issue with flamers with my RC heli's but know of folks that have. In addition, DO NOT leave them in a hot car any length of time. RC heli sites for several years now from time to time have videos of vehicles burning at flying fields. They can be a dangerous thing.

I personally store my LiPo batteries at home in the cells of concrete blocks with a plastic bag of sand covering the open cells. That way if one does catch on fire, it will melt the bag and the sand will cover the smoldering battery. Houses of some modelers have burnt to the ground from LiPo battery issues.

Not wanting to sound as an alarmist here but those of us that have been using these type batteries for a good many years now have seen some of the dangers they can present. Just an aside, a friend of mine (who is a city fireman in this town) had one of his batteries on charge and got a fire call. He forgot to unplug it and when they got back to the firehouse, the shelving the battery was sitting on was on fire. Fortunately, the hose house is an all concrete structure, including the roof system, in that area and just some interior items caught on fire.

Just my $.02, so take it for what it is worth. ( I also lived in Spring, TX for awhile in the early 80's, just east of 45 and a little north of FM 1960 - nice area then, not so sure about now).

I attended Florida State's first home football game this season on September 14, hosting the Nevada Wolfpack (Final score 62-7 — Go Noles!). Prior to the game, there was some sort of RC helicopter with a mounted camera flying around inside the stadium. It definitely wasn't the same as the one Mark has referenced here, but I found it fascinating to watch as it was the first time I had actually seen one being used for this purpose. My brother thought at first that it might be a replacement for the camera on a wire system that has been in use at football games for the last several years; I said there was no way that thing would be flying during the game, and I was right. Still, I can imagine it would provide interesting coverage if perfected enough to allow such a use.

What a fascinating age this is for photography …

Scott

Great answers.

The noise 'sounds' manageable and I'm glad to hear that it is not only straightforward to fly and durable, but apparently smarter than many pilots...

Well now, it looks like I know what I want for Christmas. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter