• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's YACHT & BEACH CLUB RESORTS Information & Questions

Hi Scott, as someone whose skin is so pale it reflects the sun onto others and as a mum whose chief job every morning (while in Florida - in Ireland not so much :rotfl:) for the last 20 odd years has been to chase children around a room making sure they have adequate sunscreen in place so they don't burn (and thus guilt me out) I will say that while I wouldn't smirk at a grown man carrying an umbrella but (and it's a big joyful but) I have found the aerosol sunscreens to be brilliant :) . They are so light on the skin and the easiest thing ever to apply. Even my youngest, who had to have prescription suncream as others irritated his skin, was able to use the factor 30 coppertone sport one which is sold in the BC marketplace at around $13 a bottle :)

My kids used to call it "Sunscream"

:goodvibes

I don't believe this is allowed.

There is a small slide that goes into the kiddie pool that is just behind the stairs going up to the Jib Slide. That might be a good start for your son. If you haven't seen pictures of the kiddie pool, check them out. Post 3, I think.

:thumbsup2

:umbrella:[/QUOTE]

Thanks I did see the sign on post 3 about single riders. I think with a lifejacket he may go. He is over 4 ft so knowing that technically we can touch might help even though it would be over his head.

Do you know if there are height limits for the little kiddie pool? I didn't see a rules sign posted. We ran into the issue last year. Our youngest was fine last year at CBR but my timid 5 year old was WAY too tall (darn tall genes). He is 52" at 5 and continually growing.

Hello Yacht/Beach Club lovers! So it's only been a few months since my honeymoon and first ever trip to Disney World. I'm already getting the itch to go back! Not sure how soon we will be going back but the fun process of planning is a way to keep me satisfied! My wife and I stayed for 10 days at the Yacht Club and we had a blast. The hotel was so nice but what we really loved was the convenient location with how easy it was to get to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. Besides Magic Kingdom, walking around World Showcase was one of our favorite things to do! One thing that we realized though was that we barely spent any time at the hotel itself. We really only used the hotel for sleep since we were out at the parks each entire day. While we didn't mind splurging for a beautiful deluxe resort for our honeymoon, it was in the back of our minds how much money we paid just to sleep at night! Unless we want to go broke from continuing to visit Disney we may need a new resort plan. This is where you all come in!

I'm sure many of you have loves for other (less expensive) resorts and I would love to hear from anyone. To help out with your suggestions, here is what my wife and I care about the most. The biggest thing we liked about the yacht club was it's location as I said before. We enjoyed the quick trips over to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. More so Epcot since waiting and riding the boat to HS still took a good amount of time. We don't want to rent a car so we will be using Disney's transportation to the park. When we pick a new resort we will be relying on bus service for all parks this time so it would be nice to pick a resort that has a good reputation with it's bus service. We also don't care much about Disney Springs so being close to that doesn't really matter. Same thing goes for Animal Kingdom. AK was fun but our loves for MK/Epcot/HS is what really matters!

I think we are just worried, after being spoiled our first time in Disney, that we will have a bit of disappointment if we choose a value or moderate resort. We can't justify though spending $400+ a night just to sleep. I'm sure you Disney pros will have some great suggestions. Thank you!

Hello Yacht/Beach Club lovers! So it's only been a few months since my honeymoon and first ever trip to Disney World. I'm already getting the itch to go back! Not sure how soon we will be going back but the fun process of planning is a way to keep me satisfied! My wife and I stayed for 10 days at the Yacht Club and we had a blast. The hotel was so nice but what we really loved was the convenient location with how easy it was to get to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. Besides Magic Kingdom, walking around World Showcase was one of our favorite things to do! One thing that we realized though was that we barely spent any time at the hotel itself. We really only used the hotel for sleep since we were out at the parks each entire day. While we didn't mind splurging for a beautiful deluxe resort for our honeymoon, it was in the back of our minds how much money we paid just to sleep at night! Unless we want to go broke from continuing to visit Disney we may need a new resort plan. This is where you all come in!

I'm sure many of you have loves for other (less expensive) resorts and I would love to hear from anyone. To help out with your suggestions, here is what my wife and I care about the most. The biggest thing we liked about the yacht club was it's location as I said before. We enjoyed the quick trips over to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. More so Epcot since waiting and riding the boat to HS still took a good amount of time. We don't want to rent a car so we will be using Disney's transportation to the park. When we pick a new resort we will be relying on bus service for all parks this time so it would be nice to pick a resort that has a good reputation with it's bus service. We also don't care much about Disney Springs so being close to that doesn't really matter. Same thing goes for Animal Kingdom. AK was fun but our loves for MK/Epcot/HS is what really matters!

I think we are just worried, after being spoiled our first time in Disney, that we will have a bit of disappointment if we choose a value or moderate resort. We can't justify though spending $400+ a night just to sleep. I'm sure you Disney pros will have some great suggestions. Thank you!

Consider the Swan and/or Dolphin. While not Disney owned, they are on the Boardwalk and enjoy the EMH privilege as well as park transportation for a price that is on par with a moderate Disney resort. You won't have the MDE transportation option nor can you charge from parks/restaurants with a magic band, but we have never found that a problem. We have enjoyed many stays at both resorts when going with friends who refuse to pay deluxe prices. You might also consider renting points for a studio in the Villas at either Boardwalk or Beach Club. These can go for nearly the price (or sometimes less) of a moderate resort AND have full Disney privileges.

Just a couple of less pricey options that would keep you on the Boardwalk loop and meet your requests for walking options to EPCOT and/or DHS.:yay::love:

Well I decided to change my reservation from AKL CL (love it) to somewhere new and try YC CL Lagoon view after our cruise in Nov 2017. I chose it for location and the pool and more upscale adult feel to the resort, as well as we might catch the last few days of food and wine in 2017. I've stayed at the Beach Club CL in 2011 prior to renos but didn't "love" it. It was too busy and kind of sterile to me, not very friendly. I hope to like the YC better, I really like the nautical theme of the resort, it is so elegant. I don't see a ton of love for the YC, most people tend to pick BC. I'm Hoping it's mostly because of families -- have you stayed at YC and loved it?? Please give me your thoughts and reviews. Has anyone stayed Club Level at YC? I'd love to know how the offerings where and if the lounge was nice and welcoming? I am hoping I will love YC and not regret changing my reservation from AKL ☺️
Thanks for sharing your thouhts!

YC has a quiet friendliness to it. The first time we stayed there, I got anxious about it in the lobby (I was BC or BWI for life at the time), and the "Captain" in the lobby talked with me about what I was looking for out of my vacation, and after a few minutes of chatting, we agreed that YC actually fit my needs better than BC (BUT I STILL LOVE YOU BC!) and not only did we end up having a wonderful time on that stay, but there have been more than a few since, and while our #2 and #3 resorts change by the day, YC has remained our #1 favorite since. We love the more grown-up feel to the place, and since there's no character meal off the lobby (I'm looking at you Cape May!), the lobby has more of an elegant, quiet, formal, but not stiff vibe. Along with the GF, YC feels like the most expensive and/or exclusive resort to us. The lobby bar is fantastic to have a drink in at the end of the day, and I can vouch that Diane and Robin are excellent bartenders there. The gift shop is so nice and quiet, and you hear the soft music better at YC, and they do pump in that "BC Smell" in the lobby. I know they're due for a renovation, and it's coming relatively soon, so at this precise moment, the rooms at BC feel a bit more updated, but we've recently found the rooms at YC to be immaculately clean, the pillows awesome (we bought them for our home) and housekeeping to be fantastic. I really don't think you'll be disappointed.

page 595-596

I just added this image to SAB Post 2:

View attachment 184413

I am very torn between my desire not to be judgmental, a let bygones be bygones attitude as long as it doesn't hurt anyone and my pledge of honesty:

Instead of saying I may already raise my eyebrows a bit to the adults I see with umbrellas in the parks, especially when they are not paying attention to where the umbrella is in crowded places, I'll comment that it looks like ones arm would get sore holding up an umbrella for a prolonged period of time.

:umbrella:

1. That's the pic of Stormy from our book at school!
2. Ouch. Double ouch. Noted.

Yes
And as Dee said, I feel can be dangerous with umbrellas walking around. I won't even use one in the rain. Too many people in close proximity to each other

Well, I consider myself to be very careful in these situations. Last year, we got caught in the China pavilion (we were staying at BC) in one of the worst rainstorms ever, and we'd already checked out, and didn't want to fly home in clammy clothes. I bought the biggest umbrella ever in the China pavilion (it was comically big) and DP noted how beautifully I managed to navigate the crowds with it. Of course common courtesy would be followed.

Hi Scott, as someone whose skin is so pale it reflects the sun onto others and as a mum whose chief job every morning (while in Florida - in Ireland not so much :rotfl:) for the last 20 odd years has been to chase children around a room making sure they have adequate sunscreen in place so they don't burn (and thus guilt me out) I will say that while I wouldn't smirk at a grown man carrying an umbrella but (and it's a big joyful but) I have found the aerosol sunscreens to be brilliant :) . They are so light on the skin and the easiest thing ever to apply. Even my youngest, who had to have prescription suncream as others irritated his skin, was able to use the factor 30 coppertone sport one which is sold in the BC marketplace at around $13 a bottle :)

I loved one called "Cool Mist" by Neutrogena but they don't seem to make it anymore! Not only did it work magic, but it smelled like heaven!

I live in a suburb that's probably 90% (maybe more) Asian families, and EVERYONE either wears a full face sun visor or carries a sun umbrella all summer, and often during sunny days in the winter too. I wouldn't even blink to see someone doing that at Disney. There are a lot stranger things going on. Although, I'd be tempted to find a wild Disney-themed umbrella rather than a plain black one...if you're gonna go, go big, as the saying goes...

:flower:

OK, so here's an interesting question for y'all.
I burn easily, but hate wearing a ton of sunscreen, and wearing a hat all the time on vacation (I'm thinning a bit on top and at the temples). I'm thinking for our day or 2 touring the countries of Epcot of carrying a simple black Totes umbrella to block out the sun. My DP, (Some of you know JNPants), keeps rolling his eyes and saying, "Ugh..I have to walk around with the guy with the parasol."
Thoughts? Would you smirk to see a grown man blocking out the sun w/an umbrella in the middle of August?:confused3

Hi Scott, I also don't like the feeling of heavy sunscreen on my skin but I recently found "sheer sunscreen" sorry can't remember what brand off the top of my head.. But it was great, It was not heavy or greasy at all and worked great.
Perhaps a larger brim hat, like a cool safari type hat that would shade the back of your neck a bit? I honestly don't have an opinion on the umbrella, but do know that you have to be aware of where the spokes are at all times :rotfl:

Edited to add, I think mine was Neutrogena also

Hope you and your DP have a wonderful trip!

Scott Mc and cinderkelly this is the one we used. Just noticed it says NEW light, breathable feel at the top of bottle. It was definitely all of those things. We normally bring Soltan aerosol from home but bought this because we ran out. My son can't use the Soltan but he was fine with this :goodvibes

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 21

I loved one called "Cool Mist" by Neutrogena but they don't seem to make it anymore! Not only did it work magic, but it smelled like heaven!

:flower:

Hi Scott, I also don't like the feeling of heavy sunscreen on my skin but I recently found "sheer sunscreen" sorry can't remember what brand off the top of my head.. But it was great, It was not heavy or greasy at all and worked great.
Perhaps a larger brim hat, like a cool safari type hat that would shade the back of your neck a bit? I honestly don't have an opinion on the umbrella, but do know that you have to be aware of where the spokes are at all times :rotfl:

Edited to add, I think mine was Neutrogena also

Hope you and your DP have a wonderful trip!

Our family only uses Neutrogena because none of us can stand the heaviness of sunscreen. Here's the pic of the one we use:
0008680068870_500X500.jpg

Just ordered for our upcoming trip next month from Walgreens.com as they were buy one get one 1/2 off. Ordered Tuesday and received it on Wednesday and that was free shipping!!!

Well I decided to change my reservation from AKL CL (love it) to somewhere new and try YC CL Lagoon view after our cruise in Nov 2017. I chose it for location and the pool and more upscale adult feel to the resort, as well as we might catch the last few days of food and wine in 2017. I've stayed at the Beach Club CL in 2011 prior to renos but didn't "love" it. It was too busy and kind of sterile to me, not very friendly. I hope to like the YC better, I really like the nautical theme of the resort, it is so elegant. I don't see a ton of love for the YC, most people tend to pick BC. I'm Hoping it's mostly because of families -- have you stayed at YC and loved it?? Please give me your thoughts and reviews. Has anyone stayed Club Level at YC? I'd love to know how the offerings where and if the lounge was nice and welcoming? I am hoping I will love YC and not regret changing my reservation from AKL ☺️
Thanks for sharing your thouhts!

Lol! There are plenty of us who love & prefer the YC, we're just trying to keep it's wonderfulness a secret!! No point letting everybody know how great it is & make it hard to get a room there. ;)

We started staying at YC about 15 years ago & a lagoon view club room is our favorite room on property. When we walk in that lobby, we immediately feel relaxed & at ease. It is just my DH & me traveling, (60 & 59), no kids. There are more adults at YC it seems, but there are still families & kids there. It does not bother us to see convention goers walking around in business attire. Some people don't like to see that while they're on vacation, doesn't interfere with my enjoyment of the resort at all.

The club lounge is usually more adults, but again, you will see kids & teens there too. The lounge has a quiet, relaxed atmosphere I think. The food service area was enlarged last year & it seems easier to access the different offerings now. The food is pretty typical of all the Disney club levels, nothing really unique or special. I loved the new lounge, clean, modern & fresh. There are a few upholstered chairs for sitting, but there isn't a couch or any real lounging areas. It is mostly tables & chairs.

We are don't need a lot of attention from cast members. I like to handle all our ADRs & other plans. We are fine with a quick smile & hi from CMs but I don't need them to know my whole family by name & all our life story. Some people like that type of attention, but we don't. There are some BWI CMs that folks love because they are so friendly & outgoing. We tried the BW CL about 3 years ago & definitely didn't care for the raucous, loud interactions we observed among the CMs there. At YC, we get a smile & greeting as we come & go, that's fine with us. We find them friendly & helpful if we do need something tho.

The rooms do need updating as previously noted. But they are clean & in good repair. I would hope the rehab will be done by next fall, so you should be ok there. I'm just concerned about your statement that BC seemed sterile to you. Was that just the color palate that made you think that? The decor is basically the same at both YC & BC, just different color schemes. The balconies are great for relaxing. Even rooms that overlook the pool aren't that loud, you do hear the music when you're on the balcony, but it isn't blaringly loud.

Hope you have a great vacation & enjoy the YC!

Last edited:
Our family only uses Neutrogena because none of us can stand the heaviness of sunscreen. Here's the pic of the one we use:

Just ordered for our upcoming trip next month from Walgreens.com as they were buy one get one 1/2 off. Ordered Tuesday and received it on Wednesday and that was free shipping!!!

That's very similar to the one i've been using for years, but they seem to have discontinued it. I'm disappointed because it had the most WONDERFUL scent. Here was mine...

41ngbvCusWL.jpg

That's very similar to the one i've been using for years, but they seem to have discontinued it. I'm disappointed because it had the most WONDERFUL scent. Here was mine...

41ngbvCusWL.jpg

If you haven't used the other one, I would highly recommend trying it. It's got a clean scent - not overpowering and also cools as you spray it on. DH is the pickiest of the bunch when it comes to sunscreens and he'll only use Neutrogena. Last year, I bought the CVS brand to save a few bucks thinking it would be the same and boy did I not live it down by him and the girls the entire 9 days we spent in Disney :sad2:.

OK, so here's an interesting question for y'all.
I burn easily, but hate wearing a ton of sunscreen, and wearing a hat all the time on vacation (I'm thinning a bit on top and at the temples). I'm thinking for our day or 2 touring the countries of Epcot of carrying a simple black Totes umbrella to block out the sun. My DP, (Some of you know JNPants), keeps rolling his eyes and saying, "Ugh..I have to walk around with the guy with the parasol."
Thoughts? Would you smirk to see a grown man blocking out the sun w/an umbrella in the middle of August?:confused3

Frankly, when I see anyone walking around using an umbrella for shade, I'm jealous!! :rotfl2: I absolutely HATE wearing a hat. I have very thin hair plus I wear glasses & I look absolutely terrible in a hat. And then my thin hair gets plastered down even more from the heat & perspiration. So I look even worse when I take it off! But between the thought of carrying it all day & my DH's opinion that I'll be fine with a hat, I have never taken an umbrella for shade. I get pretty sick from the heat & sun, so I need something. One of these days I'll actually try an umbrella. And yes, I'll be careful with it! :goodvibes Go for it! If I see you, I'll be wishing it was me!!

If you haven't used the other one, I would highly recommend trying it. It's got a clean scent - not overpowering and also cools as you spray it on. DH is the pickiest of the bunch when it comes to sunscreens and he'll only use Neutrogena. Last year, I bought the CVS brand to save a few bucks thinking it would be the same and boy did I not live it down by him and the girls the entire 9 days we spent in Disney :sad2:.

Do you use it on your face as well? I love the sprays, but feel weird spraying it on my hands...then applying to my face!

Frankly, when I see anyone walking around using an umbrella for shade, I'm jealous!! :rotfl2: I absolutely HATE wearing a hat. I have very thin hair plus I wear glasses & I look absolutely terrible in a hat. And then my thin hair gets plastered down even more from the heat & perspiration. So I look even worse when I take it off! But between the thought of carrying it all day & my DH's opinion that I'll be fine with a hat, I have never taken an umbrella for shade. I get pretty sick from the heat & sun, so I need something. One of these days I'll actually try an umbrella. And yes, I'll be careful with it! :goodvibes Go for it! If I see you, I'll be wishing it was me!!

Thank you! :umbrella:
I too start feeling ill when the sun is really beating down and I think I find that most in the World Showcase, as we're most likely to be there mid-afternoon. Even with tons of sunscreen and a hat, I still feel a bit icky when the sun pounds down, and I'm sure a lot of it is in my head, but I feel like the umbrella might block that a bit.
In 2014, while watching FoF in the Magic Kingdom, my phone said the temp was 97, but the real feel was 112, and I was standing there, and I clearly remember watching Snow White skipping towards me, then suddenly, she seemed to turn upside down and right back upwards.....then I felt as if everything I'd eaten for the last 72 hours was about to come right back up and pouring out of me, I said to DP, "I need to get out of here," and ducked into a store where I guzzled a bottle of water (I was already pretty well hydrated though), and felt a *bit* better. Afterwards, we worked our way over to Small World, where that 16 minute AC-ed boat ride got me about 95% back to normal, but yeah, the sun can do a number on me.....

Do you use it on your face as well? I love the sprays, but feel weird spraying it on my hands...then applying to my face!

Yup... close my eyes and spray it right on my face AND because I have gotten my lips burned more times than I want to admit in my lifetime, I am an avid "HerpecinL" lip balm user. I've been using this stuff probably for the last 25 years or so. It has an SPF30 and I use this stuff everyday, more so when I'm in Disney. Not cheap but I find it's the best lip balm on the market and the cheapest I found it was at Walmart.

1. That's the pic of Stormy from our book at school!
2. Ouch. Double ouch. Noted.

1. In your book, does Stormy have a head? I looked at a lot of images and I liked this one best but would be happier if he was intact.
2. Yeah. Sorry. I think most of my bias revolves around clueless people who don't know, or don't care that they are wielding the umbrella like a weapon or blocking someones view when using it.

I live in a suburb that's probably 90% (maybe more) Asian families, and EVERYONE either wears a full face sun visor or carries a sun umbrella all summer, and often during sunny days in the winter too. I wouldn't even blink to see someone doing that at Disney. There are a lot stranger things going on. Although, I'd be tempted to find a wild Disney-themed umbrella rather than a plain black one...if you're gonna go, go big, as the saying goes...

If you do decide to use an umbrella, and don't let me stop you, I totally agree with this. Find a cute Disney one.

::yes::

Yup... close my eyes and spray it right on my face AND because I have gotten my lips burned more times than I want to admit in my lifetime, I am an avid "HerpecinL" lip balm user. I've been using this stuff probably for the last 25 years or so. It has an SPF30 and I use this stuff everyday, more so when I'm in Disney. Not cheap but I find it's the best lip balm on the market and the cheapest I found it was at Walmart.

From your lips....

Thanks for the recommendation on this. I am usually a Blistex gal, but my lips burn when I am on vacation and I will check this out.

:thumbsup2

It's official - we're going back home! Not for 674 days, but it's something! We had such an amazing time on our trip this past June that we decided to return in 2018. Wish it was next year, but DH isn't obsessed as the girls and I are and asked for a year off in between. We adored the YC so we will definitely be going back - can't wait to see the rooms after the refurb. Tentative dates are June 2-12. Now to keep myself busy for two years...

Last edited:
1. In your book, does Stormy have a head? I looked at a lot of images and I liked this one best but would be happier if he was intact.
2. Yeah. Sorry. I think most of my bias revolves around clueless people who don't know, or don't care that they are wielding the umbrella like a weapon or blocking someones view when using it.

If you do decide to use an umbrella, and don't let me stop you, I totally agree with this. Find a cute Disney one.

::yes::

Stormy in our book had a head...but some jerk with an umbrella clipped it off. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter