Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmm ok! Its just that the studios that face the pool where we are hoping to stay are the ones that run along that yellow outline in the construction zone. We want to face the villa pool and be able to swim there....if the pool area is closed and torn up then that stinks

Well, then, it looks like our little DD has made the choice for is, and saved us from any angst over the construction. LOL.

We were looking at room photos the other day, and she was not impressed by WL, so we looked at more photos and she lit on the princess rooms at POR. So, once again our reservation has changed, and it's back to where we started, in a POR RR. LOL. :)

The trip is ostensibly for her, so we'll just have to plan on getting to WL on some future trip. :)

The scaffolding was put up on the front of the resort on Friday when we were leaving. I did not see f it was on the entire front or just on the side by the bus stops. They were pulling out the stuff between the logs and replacing it.

I talked to a worker doing the work by the pool. He said they were painting and fixing some other issues involving the balcony doors. Which is exactly the work we seen going on.

Was the scaffolding still up in the courtyard area or has it come down and moved around front?

Oh one neat thing to look for when you take the boat back to the Lodge at night is the bear face.

Our boat Captain on Thursday centered the boat on the courtyard. If you look at the top of the lodge there are the angled windows that would be eyes and the windows underneath the mouth.

Catching up on my beloved WL and all the recent construction drama. Thanks as always to @WDWKOOK for the amazing detective work. Don't know how you do it, but you always deliver.

@alhurricane and @Capang enjoy the wonders of the lodge. It's perfection

I'll be honeymooning at Wilderness Lodge in July! I booked under a room block, and I will have a Woods View (unless we get upgraded... complete wishful thinking.) I'm so excited to be staying here. I wouldn't care if I had a parking lot view. I've never stayed at a Deluxe Resort and not used DVC points. I can't wait!
Anyways, I am within my Online Check In! What should I request?
Thanks!

Well that's us cancelling then, it took alot of pursesion to get my dh to book a wdw hotel this time as he really wants to stay at Portofino bay again which works out a lot cheaper, so unless they offer us another me or Epcot delux for the same price he will get his way!

We will again be staying at our beloved WL at the end of the summer! My question is regarding the pool fencing.

My daughter does NOT like to wear her magic band in the pool. We let the kids do as they with when we're at the pool. What is the situation regarding the gates going in to the pool? Can she access the gate without her band on? Can she just reach over and push on the latch to open it? She has lost her band before in the pool, and does not like to wear it. Thanks!

I will miss VWL the way it is/was! :sad:Small, relaxing and unique, Theming and lovely calming landscaping. Loved sitting on beach watching water parade at night, watching boats during lazy afternoon . Quiet, peaceful views from balcony. Best bartender IMHO on property at pool bar- Carrie! Will miss all this. Our home resort is BCV, but we stay here just as often. Guess we will be using home resort more now. :(pixiedust: BUT we WILL be getting one last relaxing stay in when we spend a few days post DCL this August!:boat::beach:

Last edited:
We will again be staying at our beloved WL at the end of the summer! My question is regarding the pool fencing.

My daughter does NOT like to wear her magic band in the pool. We let the kids do as they with when we're at the pool. What is the situation regarding the gates going in to the pool? Can she access the gate without her band on? Can she just reach over and push on the latch to open it? She has lost her band before in the pool, and does not like to wear it. Thanks!

Unless they change it, the pool gate just has a normal latch. Anyone can open it. You don't need a MB to open it.

I'm glad to see this thread. Love the pictures and lots of information. A little bummed about possible construction but that's life. We are bringing the kids to WDW 10/3 to 10/8 and staying at the WL. This will be the first Disneyworld trip for the kids and they are beyond excited. Can anyone tell me how crowded the lodge and their pool areas are at the beginning of October? I'm assuming the pools are heated since I hear about people swimming all year.
Welcome! I'll log your dates. Yes, all the pools are heated, however, if the ambient temp. is cool, then you can get really chilled when you get out, but October shouldn't be too chilly. I've not stayed at WL in October though so I can't answer your crowd question.

Can you add us?
10/31 to 11/6 - OFC :)
Thank you!

I'd be happy to!

Artists Point may change location or the shop may expand if the arcade goes, that could also open up an opportunity to either move or expand Roaring Forks . A real pity the Otter Pond will be gone though and all the lovely trees too. They do seem to have thought about new parking locations though. Will wait and see if there is a big impact on the walking trail and wildlife down to FW. The new buildings may prove interesting down near the boat dock( beach area) and the redesign of the pool at the VWL.

The Otter Pond is not being removed, but only "modified." The plan shows a reduction in size. I think you're right about AP moving.

Thanks for this info, WDWKOOK. We will be at WL in about 60 days and I'm so glad this construction won't have started yet :cutie: Will be nice to have one last stay before the chaos.

You're welcome, @johnsonet:). Your trip is coming up soon so you must be getting really excited.

Thanks for posting / sharing this info. We have our 1st WL trip (2nd wdw trip) booked for this Thanksgiving. I think we're going to switch resorts & save WL for when the construction is done. Now, to try to decide on a new place to stay. We've only been to disney once- mid nov 2013 & stayed at the poly. Thinking of doing a split stay - if the r/o discounts come out & are similar to what mousesavers has listed for last year, it looks like the 1st 3 days of our trip may be eligible for a discount, the last 3 rack rate. Either way we're definitely going back- just not sure where to stay. thanks again for all of this info!

I hope your new plans work out for you. There are so many great resort options.

Thanks Kook for all of the great insight. We are scheduled for our 2nd VWL stay October 4-10. We were there last Oct and had to deal with the pool mess. I booked again this year to see the resort finished and enjoy the surrounding grounds.
I know you said estimated start date of September, but is their any indication of when and how much disruption will be occurring in the early stages. My guess is everything will be completely fenced off in the "construction zone" which looks to be a lot. Is there any insights we can gain from the poly renovation in terms of scheduling and early disruption? How long after these types of permits were filed at poly did the really messy work begin?

Yesterday I posted some information HERE in the new thread on what I think will be Phase 1 - clearing the land. One of the contractors noted a September start date and if that holds true, then I would expect land clearing along with the addition of many scrims and fences.

After seeing and reading all the negative impact the Polynesian is going through with their construction project, I can only imagine what the WL will go through, it was such a diamond, a hidden "gem" so close, yet tucked away in nature. Can you imagine what Christmas will be like at WL?

I don't have a crystal ball, so I have no idea what the future impact will have in the months to come, I imagine no one does. But like everyone else, change - hate change!

The Poly has come a long way since last year when the GCH and pool were closed and CC was re-located to its temp. location. I was last there in April and the pool and Bungalows had just opened and the resort is much easier to navigate and much improved. There is still work going on and now the Quiet pool is closed, but knowing this, I'm still booked there in August, (I let DD choose any resort.) If I had thought it was a real distraction from enjoying the resort, I wouldn't have booked it. I think we really need to wait and see how much this distracts from the overall feel at VWL and WL.

We're staying at the end of October/beginning of November with a 2.5 year old who still naps. I'm going to hang in there until there is reason to worry. If it looks like it will be too disruptive, I'll see if I can talk to someone about requesting a quiet location, or at worst case, try to find another resort. Hoping it won't come to that.

What view have you booked or are you at VWL?

Oh one neat thing to look for when you take the boat back to the Lodge at night is the bear face.

Our boat Captain on Thursday centered the boat on the courtyard. If you look at the top of the lodge there are the angled windows that would be eyes and the windows underneath the mouth.

That is a great view at night from the water.

I miss the place already. I have a lovely google image of the lobby as my laptop wallpaper. Back to work tomorrow, ugh. Oh well, I work for vacation money. :tinker:

Time to book another trip;)

Our first ever WL stay is underway! We checked in at 10am this morning and our room was ready. All CMs we have encountered have been very friendly. We spent the afternoon and evening at Epcot which was also very nice. It was great coming home to the lodge!

I hope you're still having a great stay. Have you gotten anyone to spill the beans about the cabins?:laughing:

Catching up on my beloved WL and all the recent construction drama. Thanks as always to @WDWKOOK for the amazing detective work. Don't know how you do it, but you always deliver.

@alhurricane and @Capang enjoy the wonders of the lodge. It's perfection

You're welcome and it's fun doing some Lodge snoopin':magnify:

I'll be honeymooning at Wilderness Lodge in July! I booked under a room block, and I will have a Woods View (unless we get upgraded... complete wishful thinking.) I'm so excited to be staying here. I wouldn't care if I had a parking lot view. I've never stayed at a Deluxe Resort and not used DVC points. I can't wait!
Anyways, I am within my Online Check In! What should I request?
Thanks!

Congratulations!! With a Woods View, most like to request an upper room in the North Wing. The upper rooms have a partial view of Wishes. This is a request you'll need to call in though. Also, floors 5 and lower don't have solid balcony railings, which many prefer.

We have a Woods View room. I didn't make any special requests. Yet. :) We're really not picky. But if my son can't sleep because of noise, so help me... >:(
I'm really sensitive to noises and find that at WL, the noises outdoors aren't as intrusive as indoor noises can be. If you're close to Bay Lake, you'll be able to hear the boat horns. But, I like to request a room without a connecting door. Those connecting doors carry everything through them and I find them to be the #1 noise offender. I also like a top floor so there's no one above us.

Glad to know that the otter pond isn't going altogether, I love to see nature at its best even the little bugs are great to see, just keep the water snakes away from me:fish::snail::squirrel::flower:

I'm glad to see this thread. Love the pictures and lots of information. A little bummed about possible construction but that's life. We are bringing the kids to WDW 10/3 to 10/8 and staying at the WL. This will be the first Disneyworld trip for the kids and they are beyond excited. Can anyone tell me how crowded the lodge and their pool areas are at the beginning of October? I'm assuming the pools are heated since I hear about people swimming all year.

We've stayed at VWL twice in October. The pools are not crowded at all, even on hot days (we've been there in October when temps hit the 90s).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter