Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, my H and I are so excited for our first WL stay Dec. 3-13. We understand about all the construction, but one of the major reasons we upgraded to deluxe was so that he could go to the fitness center. I see info on the spa, but not the fitness center. Is it closed/going to be closed? If so, where can he work out?

Hi, my H and I are so excited for our first WL stay Dec. 3-13. We understand about all the construction, but one of the major reasons we upgraded to deluxe was so that he could go to the fitness center. I see info on the spa, but not the fitness center. Is it closed/going to be closed? If so, where can he work out?
The fitness center is called Sturdy Branches and is located in the villas building. It was open when we were there a couple of weeks ago.

I think the masage rooms were closed only because the didn't want a less than peaceful experience of construction happened to be going on. But the fitness center is supposed to remain open afaik.

Checking in one more time from our standard construction view room (formerly woods view). I'm still really loving it. The resort is still truly awe inspiring. Maybe I wouldn't be so forgiving if I didn't know about the construction in advance, but thanks to these boards I was prepared. Like I said in a previous post- we have a view of the castle and we were able to watch wishes from our balcony last night.....all for the price of a standard! I can also watch the monorail pulling into the contemporary and boats on bay lake. We are on the 6th floor, so our balcony isn't one of the open ones. Turns out to be perfect because it blocks the mud pit - lol

I have not read thru all of these posts. But in July what would we not have access to with the changes. Is the main pool up and running? We plan to eat and swim there and go to magic kingdom and I think animal kingdom and DTD. Do you know if they share a bus with other resorts?
Thanks!!

Last edited:
Here are a couple more pictures...

The south side rooms are also blocked off in the lobby...

I agree! Even though there is visible construction, we are still enjoying our stay and would find it hard to stay elsewhere. A big plus is the resort is half empty!!!

Thank you for posting photos and commenting on the construction. I think it's really helpful for others to read the experiences of those who are there. There are so many changes going on and it's hard to really know what it's like when you're not there in person.

We have been tentatively planning a Christmas 2016 trip to Disney for a few months. We've been back and forth about the construction and now that it's nearly time to book, I think we've come to a decision.

Wood Nymph's photos of the lobby being blocked off on the south side interior really sealed the deal for me. This just wouldn't be a trip to Wilderness Lodge. It's something else right now, and my guess is that I wouldn't like it in comparison. We've always stayed CL and those changes just look terrible to me as well.

So, we'll talk more as a family but I believe the consensus will be to delay for a year and hope that construction delays don't run into December 2017. Hopefully, by that time the work will be finished and the staff will have adjusted to all the new things.

Change is inevitable but those pictures from the lobby really made me sad.

I can tell it wasn't easy, but I think you made the right decision for you and your family.

I think that it would depend on your expectations. If the WL has been your dream resort and this is a long planned dream stay then you would probably want to change to another resort. In our case, it's "been there, done that" with WL (even CL) and my daughter and I are more focused on easy transportation and a decent room rate.

I agree and also recommend against staying if you've never stayed at WL/VWL before. With so many changes and amenities closed, I don't think it would leave a good first impression.

I was thinking the same thing about CY views being shielded from construction. We check in Saturday, so at this point, it is what it is for us. Fingers crossed all goes well.

Are you there yet?

Hi,I'm back. Got my new right knee last Tuesday. Holy Cannoli ! I'm pushing through the pain in PT so my nickname won't be Wobbles,when we get back to WL in August.

We're still totally confused as to what to do about our 8/24 visit. Just coming off our first Christmas time week in December,so our last memories are of just a closed south wing. We went to room 7035 instead of our usual 7127. But it appears the OFC will be next to us if we request 7035 again. We liked those two rooms because they were out of the way,quieter and had terrific views. But I'm not sure I want to be next to the lounge next August. Would it be better to give up the bay view and ask for a fireworks view?

We actually played with the idea of a split stay- Boardwalk and GF,until I started crunching the numbers,then,nope.

So we thought about the Poly,where we stayed in 1999. But since they put up those bungalows,it just doesn't feel the same( we moseyed over there in Dec. to check it out). I guess we just feel like WL is home.

We used to love going to WDW in November, but the value days ALL disappeared that month- we would consider going later in the year if it would make a difference in construction,but I'm not sure it would.
Can you tell we're confused? We're still in for 8/24-9/1, but I don't know.........

I think everyone is confused when it comes to contemplating booking WL/VWL. So many unknowns, such as what the Woods View will be like when you're contemplating going next. It's possible the cabin construction will be in full swing over there.

How about a split stay with WL and another resort, like BWI? BWI is less than GF and then you'd have a nice Epcot/MK Resort split. The Innkeeper's Club finished a rehab last year and all the rooms have been recently rehabbed, too.

Oh,Kook. The pain meds are making my brain fuzzy and I forgot the name of that wonderful CM whose name starts with L. Not Lordy,but like that....anyway,she's going to be a grandma in,I think,May- a grandson. She was working the CL desk when we were there in December. Her joy was pure joy to see. You were the one who , a few years ago,first told us to keep an eye out for her because her personality was so sweet and helpful. Oh Loyda!!!!!!!! That's it,right?? She's still the sweetie pie.

Looks like those meds wore off;). Yes, it's Loyda and I didn't know her DD was expecting - congratulations to Abuela Loyda!

We talked about it, and my husband could care less about the construction. He's all about the resort being half empty. In his mind, you can't beat that benefit. So I'm going to quit paying attention to the construction hoopla. We'll go and have a good time.

Much lower occupancy is a HUGE plus, but just make sure he knows of all the closures;)

I never posted about the room that we had when we were there Jan 9th to 13th. I had requested a courtyard view and that is what we got, except it had a bunkbed. If anyone is curious, room number 7055 is a CV bunkbed room. So we asked for a room with two queens instead. We went off to Epcot and a little after we left we got a text that room 7052 was ready for us. And then a short while after that we received a text that room 7061 was ready. At that point we didn't know which room was ours. ;) It turned out to be 7061 and after spending a night there, I wish we had 7052. This room is right next to the staff service elevator and their workroom. We could look into their workroom from our balcony. I really didn't notice the noise until the second night since we were dead tired the first night. They use that elevator until midnight and then start up again around 5:30am. It probably wouldn't have been so noisy if the lounge was back in its original location.

But in spite of all the problems, we had a great time. The food in the club lounge is being prepared in the Artist Point kitchens, so it was pretty good. They had a delicious soup every night that was excellent. I really enjoyed talking to the CL staff members and they had plenty of information about the construction. It was fun to explore and see what was going on with the construction. We tried to peak into the first floor windows of the south wing, but they had plastic taped over the windows. The tape was that blue painter's tape, which made me think they were painting the rooms. They taped up the windows of the rooms at the Beach Club when they remodeled it last year. I'm really interested to see what the new rooms look like once they are finished. According to one CM we talked to, they tested out different room layouts before deciding how they were going to remodel the guest rooms.

Thank you for your review and more photos. I'm glad you're going to stop by WL soon so we can get more great news from you!

Here now! We booked a standard room, but we are in what was previously a woods view room. I'm guessing that these are going to be standard category during construction. Here's the thing: I LOVE OUR ROOM! We have a nice view of the contemporary, and the castle!! It's awesome!!

Also, we had a gift in our room when we arrived. It was a pin set. The package said "pardon our pixie dust" and there are 3 cute wilderness lodge construction pins. There are 3 of us here, so that may be why we got 3 pins and not 4. It was a really nice touch!

I haven't been to the WL for years, but I am so glad that I am here. Just as beautiful as I remembered it to be.

I'm glad you're having a great time and you love your room. It's nice they're still giving out the pins and probably will throughout the construction. There are photos of them over on the WL DVC Expansion thread and they are so cute.

We leave on the train tomorrow and arrive at our VWL Sunday morning.

Joseph

Safe travels, Joseph and post again soon if you can:)

I have a theory based on the WDW website that for at least the rest of the year the only bookable categories at WL are Standard and Courtyard View. This means that over half of the available rooms at the resort are Standard View, since they are not Courtyard view. It is just a theory, but it seems to make sense. Basically Standard view seems to be the North side of the North wing, and Courtyard is the South Side and the Bear Face rooms that are still open.

I like your theory:thumbsup2

I think the masage rooms were closed only because the didn't want a less than peaceful experience of construction happened to be going on. But the fitness center is supposed to remain open afaik.

Yes, that's correct:)

Checking in one more time from our standard construction view room (formerly woods view). I'm still really loving it. The resort is still truly awe inspiring. Maybe I wouldn't be so forgiving if I didn't know about the construction in advance, but thanks to these boards I was prepared. Like I said in a previous post- we have a view of the castle and we were able to watch wishes from our balcony last night.....all for the price of a standard! I can also watch the monorail pulling into the contemporary and boats on bay lake. We are on the 6th floor, so our balcony isn't one of the open ones. Turns out to be perfect because it blocks the mud pit - lol

Love the new bolded room category;). Is the mud pit anything like the Parks and Recreation pit, but with mud?

0018_pittimeline.png

I have not read thru all of these posts. But in July what would we not have access to with the changes. Is the main pool up and running? We plan to eat and swim there and go to magic kingdom and I think animal kingdom and DTD. Do you know if they share a bus with other resorts?
Thanks!!

Have you booked WL or VWL? The WL DVC Expansion thread HERE has lots of information, especially in POST 1 about the changes and closures. However, we don't have a month to month timeline of exactly what they'll be doing, where and when.

These closures are slated to run through (April) 2017:
Cub's Den, beach, playground, marina/watercraft rentals and fishing, wooded trail along Bay Lake, spa/massages, VWL (Quiet) pool and hot tubs, marshmallow roast, and movies shown on the beach have been relocated indoors to VWL.

The TRANSPORTATION chapter of the thread has information on all the bus routes/times and stops. For AK and DS (DTD), the bus stops at GF after WL. There is a direct bus to MK and there is also a boat.

Last edited:
I have a slightly out of focus picture of the pins that they are leaving in the rooms for the guests. They are attached to a notecard that says "Pardon our pixie dust" on the front of the card.

pins.jpg

Thank you so much for your thoughts on your visit, I am excited about our SV stay! Love to see any pics of your view when you are back home. Thanks again for checking in while away!

We just checked in today, but spent most of the day in the parks. I'm actually not seeing the construction as too disruptive just yet, but we are also very close to the lobby with a CY room. We also got the construction discount and an extra FP+ each day we are in MK, so that helps!

It also gives us a close view of the rooms in the south wing - you can see mattresses leaning against the porch doors.

Thank you for posting photos and commenting on the construction. I think it's really helpful for others to read the experiences of those who are there. There are so many changes going on and it's hard to really know what it's like when you're not there in person.

I can tell it wasn't easy, but I think you made the right decision for you and your family.

I agree and also recommend against staying if you've never stayed at WL/VWL before. With so many changes and amenities closed, I don't think it would leave a good first impression.

Are you there yet?

I think everyone is confused when it comes to contemplating booking WL/VWL. So many unknowns, such as what the Woods View will be like when you're contemplating going next. It's possible the cabin construction will be in full swing over there.

How about a split stay with WL and another resort, like BWI? BWI is less than GF and then you'd have a nice Epcot/MK Resort split. The Innkeeper's Club finished a rehab last year and all the rooms have been recently rehabbed, too.

Looks like those meds wore off;). Yes, it's Loyda and I didn't know her DD was expecting - congratulations to Abuela Loyda!

Much lower occupancy is a HUGE plus, but just make sure he knows of all the closures;)

Thank you for your review and more photos. I'm glad you're going to stop by WL soon so we can get more great news from you!

I'm glad you're having a great time and you love your room. It's nice they're still giving out the pins and probably will throughout the construction. There are photos of them over on the WL DVC Expansion thread and they are so cute.

Safe travels, Joseph and post again soon if you can:)

I like your theory:thumbsup2

Yes, that's correct:)

Love the new bolded room category;). Is the mud pit anything like the Parks and Recreation pit, but with mud?

0018_pittimeline.png

Have you booked WL or VWL? The WL DVC Expansion thread HERE has lots of information, especially in POST 1 about the changes and closures. However, we don't have a month to month timeline of exactly what they'll be doing, where and when.

These closures are slated to run through (April) 2017:
Cub's Den, beach, playground, marina/watercraft rentals and fishing, wooded trail along Bay Lake, spa/massages, VWL (Quiet) pool and hot tubs, marshmallow roast, and movies shown on the beach have been relocated indoors to VWL.

The TRANSPORTATION chapter of the thread has information on all the bus routes/times and stops. For AK and DS (DTD), the bus stops at GF after WL. There is a direct bus to MK and there is also a boat.
We haven't booked yet. Right now we are staying a few nights at the poly. But my kids are looking to get another park day and I was looking to stay at a nice hotel that is less money and maybe get that extra ticket. This is the end of our beach trip. We would stay at WL, and will do a lot of swimming. It looks like the main pool and play area seem to be okay. I'm. It worried about construction noise as no more napping kids for us. I'm considering making the change for July.

Plus we can still eat at the Poly pretty easy staying here I think too.

We just checked in today, but spent most of the day in the parks. I'm actually not seeing the construction as too disruptive just yet, but we are also very close to the lobby with a CY room. We also got the construction discount and an extra FP+ each day we are in MK, so that helps!

It also gives us a close view of the rooms in the south wing - you can see mattresses leaning against the porch doors.
I've seen a few people mention a construction discount or credit. Is this standard procedure for all guests during construction or do you have to ask for it? Just curious. Looking forward to my first WL stay in May.

I've seen a few people mention a construction discount or credit. Is this standard procedure for all guests during construction or do you have to ask for it? Just curious. Looking forward to my first WL stay in May.

No. You were only offered the discount if you booked before the construction was announced. And I use "offered" lightly. You had to call and ask for the discount.

On the upside to construction, the busses seem empty so far!

No. You were only offered the discount if you booked before the construction was announced. And I use "offered" lightly. You had to call and ask for the discount.

On the upside to construction, the busses seem empty so far!

The bus info is the best news, I had changed from POR to WL after remembering that the transportation at WL is better than POR. When I found out that half of the resort is closed it made me even happier to not be battling packed buses!

Hello! We were last at WL October 2014 while the main pool was being refurbed. We're planning to return October 1-8. Given the reduction of CV rooms, would you recommend going ahead and booking? I've been waiting to see if any fall discounts are announced. Looking forward to catching up!

Thanks for all the continued construction updates!

Are the OFL renovations scheduled to be complete by August?

We are here now, staying at VWL. The construction has been a non-event so far in terms of disrupting our plans.

We can see the bald former quiet pool site from our balcony, and plenty of other signs of construction: piles of dirt, missing trees, plastic and wooden barriers, and scaffolding. But we've not been bothered by noise or mess.

The main Lodge is still bustling with activity even with half the guests. The transportation, pool activities and smiling cast members are as available as ever.

We do miss the "shortcut" past the quiet pool from the villas to the boat dock, but that's the only construction-related inconvenience we've encountered.

At least for now, I recommend sticking with the VWL.

May I ask your room number? I'd love to request something similar. We have a Standard booked this summer. Thanks!

May I ask your room number? I'd love to request something similar. We have a Standard booked this summer. Thanks!
It was 6022. There were a couple of bare trees blocking the castle slightly, but at night when it is lit up, you could see it nicely. And there was nothing blocking the view of the fireworks.

Thanks! The trees will be more filled out this summer, I'm sure, but it still sounds lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter