Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that it would depend on your expectations.
Easy transportation and a decent rate are my top priorities. But this will be our first visit to WL, and I feel like I am going to miss out on the beauty and ambiance of the resort with all these issues. We can actually stay in a standard view room at AKL cheaper than WL. But then there's the whole issue of riding buses everywhere, which I'm not crazy about. Decisions, decisions.

What?! I thought CY view rooms would be shielded from construction. I can see plenty of construction from your room! This may be a game changer.

This was my thought exactly! We're arriving for a split stay between WL and Poly Villas in less than three weeks. It's only two nights at WL and we'll be in the parks a lot during the WL part of our stay. Our AP rate is OK, but not like it's the best thing ever. I do like the idea of reduced crowds.

Easy transportation and a decent rate are my top priorities. But this will be our first visit to WL, and I feel like I am going to miss out on the beauty and ambiance of the resort with all these issues. We can actually stay in a standard view room at AKL cheaper than WL. But then there's the whole issue of riding buses everywhere, which I'm not crazy about. Decisions, decisions.

I don't think you'll miss out on the beauty and ambiance of the resort. We stayed in December and were never bothered by the construction and we had a construction view! The resort was still beautiful and the staff were great. Transportation was wonderful. I think you'll really enjoy it.

ETA: That was out first visit to WL as well. We are headed back in March because we loved it so much...even with construction!

I was thinking the same thing about CY views being shielded from construction. We check in Saturday, so at this point, it is what it is for us. Fingers crossed all goes well.

Sometimes the Garden Wing rooms at the Contemporary can have a good rate. Great location!

Hi,I'm back. Got my new right knee last Tuesday. Holy Cannoli ! I'm pushing through the pain in PT so my nickname won't be Wobbles,when we get back to WL in August.
We're still totally confused as to what to do about our 8/24 visit. Just coming off our first Christmas time week in December,so our last memories are of just a closed south wing. We went to room 7035 instead of our usual 7127. But it appears the OFC will be next to us if we request 7035 again. We liked those two rooms because they were out of the way,quieter and had terrific views. But I'm not sure I want to be next to the lounge next August. Would it be better to give up the bay view and ask for a fireworks view?
We actually played with the idea of a split stay- Boardwalk and GF,until I started crunching the numbers,then,nope.
So we thought about the Poly,where we stayed in 1999. But since they put up those bungalows,it just doesn't feel the same( we moseyed over there in Dec. to check it out). I guess we just feel like WL is home.
We used to love going to WDW in November, but the value days ALL disappeared that month- we would consider going later in the year if it would make a difference in construction,but I'm not sure it would.
Can you tell we're confused? We're still in for 8/24-9/1, but I don't know.........

Oh,Kook. The pain meds are making my brain fuzzy and I forgot the name of that wonderful CM whose name starts with L. Not Lordy,but like that....anyway,she's going to be a grandma in,I think,May- a grandson. She was working the CL desk when we were there in December. Her joy was pure joy to see. You were the one who , a few years ago,first told us to keep an eye out for her because her personality was so sweet and helpful. Oh Loyda!!!!!!!! That's it,right?? She's still the sweetie pie.

We talked about it, and my husband could care less about the construction. He's all about the resort being half empty. In his mind, you can't beat that benefit. So I'm going to quit paying attention to the construction hoopla. We'll go and have a good time.

My kids are the same. We stayed at Poly in the height of construction (January 2015 - Marathon Weekend) and they didn't care. I showed them photos of the WL lobby and they don't care. I'm going to focus on the low crowds. :)

I am so torn. Was going to switch to WL from CR at my husbands request. (Despite his desire to be at CR) it would probably be our last stay at WL for a while as our youngest is 2. (Family of 5) only courtyard view rooms are available with the discount we are looking at. (Our normal preference is woods view.) due to construction would I be better to stick with CR or will the construction at WL disrupt midday naps, which will still be in full force, be a non issue?

I had my girls at the Poly in September in Hawaii for the Halloween Party and we had a view of the mud hole that was the quiet pool. Did it bother us? Not a bit. My younger one and I were there in December for the Christmas Party and again the construction didn't bother us in the least. I will admit though that I changed my standard view room at WL for a CY view, but that's mostly because we've always stayed CY view. Honestly, I'm most excited about a half empty resort and the impact on transportation!

Change is inevitable but those pictures from the lobby really made me sad
Of all the changes, this one bothered me the most. :(

Hi,I'm back. Got my new right knee last Tuesday. Holy Cannoli ! I'm pushing through the pain in PT so my nickname won't be Wobbles,when we get back to WL in August.
I hope your recovery is fast and the pain goes away quickly. We met Loyda and she is very sweet. Unfortunately we only saw her one day.

due to construction would I be better to stick with CR or will the construction at WL disrupt midday naps, which will still be in full force, be a non issue?
They still had the afternoon pool parties when we were there a few weeks ago. We could hear it from our seventh floor room

I never posted about the room that we had when we were there Jan 9th to 13th. I had requested a courtyard view and that is what we got, except it had a bunkbed. If anyone is curious, room number 7055 is a CV bunkbed room. So we asked for a room with two queens instead. We went off to Epcot and a little after we left we got a text that room 7052 was ready for us. And then a short while after that we received a text that room 7061 was ready. At that point we didn't know which room was ours. ;) It turned out to be 7061 and after spending a night there, I wish we had 7052. This room is right next to the staff service elevator and their workroom. We could look into their workroom from our balcony. I really didn't notice the noise until the second night since we were dead tired the first night. They use that elevator until midnight and then start up again around 5:30am. It probably wouldn't have been so noisy if the lounge was back in its original location.

7061.jpg
But in spite of all the problems, we had a great time. The food in the club lounge is being prepared in the Artist Point kitchens, so it was pretty good. They had a delicious soup every night that was excellent. I really enjoyed talking to the CL staff members and they had plenty of information about the construction. It was fun to explore and see what was going on with the construction. We tried to peak into the first floor windows of the south wing, but they had plastic taped over the windows. The tape was that blue painter's tape, which made me think they were painting the rooms. They taped up the windows of the rooms at the Beach Club when they remodeled it last year. I'm really interested to see what the new rooms look like once they are finished. According to one CM we talked to, they tested out different room layouts before deciding how they were going to remodel the guest rooms.

ccv.jpg

Last edited:
Here now! We booked a standard room, but we are in what was previously a woods view room. I'm guessing that these are going to be standard category during construction. Here's the thing: I LOVE OUR ROOM! We have a nice view of the contemporary, and the castle!! It's awesome!!

Also, we had a gift in our room when we arrived. It was a pin set. The package said "pardon our pixie dust" and there are 3 cute wilderness lodge construction pins. There are 3 of us here, so that may be why we got 3 pins and not 4. It was a really nice touch!

I haven't been to the WL for years, but I am so glad that I am here. Just as beautiful as I remembered it to be.

They still had the afternoon pool parties when we were there a few weeks ago. We could hear it from our seventh floor room

Hmmm...this is what I worry about is the kids not being able to nap. We have stayed Woods View in the past, but there are no rooms (maybe due to construction) in that category. But middle DS really wants WL so he can sleep on the top bunk! (And DH decided it was more affordable so...a good option! LOL) I guess I'll have to weigh the options and decide. I guess I could look at a Garden Wing room at CR, but then I feel like if I'm going to stay at CR I want to be in the tower.

Here now! We booked a standard room, but we are in what was previously a woods view room. I'm guessing that these are going to be standard category during construction. Here's the thing: I LOVE OUR ROOM! We have a nice view of the contemporary, and the castle!! It's awesome!!
The woods view rooms in the north wing have a great view right now with all those trees gone. And it doesn't look like they are going to work on that area very soon. So anyone staying in one of those rooms right now would have a good view. :thumbsup2 I wish we had gotten a woods view room instead of a courtyard view, but it was hard to know ahead of time what the construction situation would be. It really helps to have live reports. :)

Also, we had a gift in our room when we arrived. It was a pin set. The package said "pardon our pixie dust" and there are 3 cute wilderness lodge construction pins. There are 3 of us here, so that may be why we got 3 pins and not 4. It was a really nice touch!
We had the cute pins, too. The card had three pins even though there was just two of us.

Last edited:
Hmmm...this is what I worry about is the kids not being able to nap. We have stayed Woods View in the past, but there are no rooms (maybe due to construction) in that category. But middle DS really wants WL so he can sleep on the top bunk! (And DH decided it was more affordable so...a good option! LOL) I guess I'll have to weigh the options and decide. I guess I could look at a Garden Wing room at CR, but then I feel like if I'm going to stay at CR I want to be in the tower.

I can understand your worries- especially because it is hard to predict just what the noise level will be a few months from now. However, I would read as many reviews as you can about the CR garden wings before switching. I haven't read too many that would ever tempt me to stay there.
As for afternoon naps and noise I would suggest thinking of ways to mask the sounds- maybe buy a sleep machine. I take mine wherever I go and it really helps. I wonder if you can get a box fan from Housekeeping. Are your kids light or heavy sleepers? Maybe if they are exhausted enough from the parks and the pool, nothing will wake them up!
Good luck with your decision!

I can understand your worries- especially because it is hard to predict just what the noise level will be a few months from now. However, I would read as many reviews as you can about the CR garden wings before switching. I haven't read too many that would ever tempt me to stay there.
As for afternoon naps and noise I would suggest thinking of ways to mask the sounds- maybe buy a sleep machine. I take mine wherever I go and it really helps. I wonder if you can get a box fan from Housekeeping. Is your son a light or heavy sleeper? Maybe if he is exhausted from the parks and the pool, nothing will wake him up!
Good luck with your decision!

Thank you! I didn't even think about masking the noise and my younger boys both fall asleep to a lullaby CD. (I swear my 5 year old will be taking it to college with him! Lol! He's more attached to the music than the 2 year old is!)

I don't think we'd do a GW room to be honest. Mostly because I'd just rather fork over more money for a TPV (which is what we have booked at the moment) if we're going to do CR. DH is just starting to panic about military retirement and savings, understandably, so he wants to go back to the lodge. I don't know why I'm so indecisive on this vacation!

I haven't been to the WL for years, but I am so glad that I am here. Just as beautiful as I remembered it to be.

I have a theory based on the WDW website that for at least the rest of the year the only bookable categories at WL are Standard and Courtyard View. This means that over half of the available rooms at the resort are Standard View, since they are not Courtyard view. It is just a theory, but it seems to make sense. Basically Standard view seems to be the North side of the North wing, and Courtyard is the South Side and the Bear Face rooms that are still open.

The pins seem to be a nice classy Disney touch. I'm hoping they continue them all the way through.

Thanks for posting during your trip, and have a great time!

I'll be the voice of dissension and say that we loved the garden wing rooms. Same size and layout as the tower rooms, no tiny overfilled elevators to wait for. Plus, walking to MK is a definite plus. We've stayed TPV several times and honestly, it's nice but you may find yourself in at TPV room that's barely above the trees and directly above the monorail. Plus you risk the noise from Chef Mickey's as well. For the difference in price between TPV and GW, it's a consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter