• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Just amazing to me that a moderate resort would be $300/night.

Yes, it is amazing how prices at Disney hotels have risen. These days I won't stay at Riverside unless there is a discount. Even then, with the way prices have been rising, a 20% discount at Riverside just gets you the rack rate of a few (maybe four?) years ago.

There are more regular rooms within the AB section than there are in the mansions, and although the AB rooms can sleep five they by no means have to. There are 139 regular Pool View rooms at Riverside, but only 41 are in the mansions, so your chances are pretty good.

Put in a request for an AB room in advance, and say that you'd prefer building 18 if at all possible (that would give you a pool view and a nicely located building, so it's a win-win). If you want to improve your chances still further, send a faxed request 3-5 days before arrival.

Andre

Thank you so much! That's exactly the info I was looking for! I will call Disney tomorrow and put in a request for AB and then send the fax a few days before our arrival. I know nothing is guaranteed but it's worth a shot!

I love the mansion section but it will be nice to try AB to see what it's like.

Thanks again!

Just returned from our 6/20 through 6/29 trip. Had a great time! Sad that it is over. :worried:
Will definitely stay at POR again.

Had reserved a garden view royal room. Sent our fax five days before we left and received all of our requests. Stayed in Oak Manor. Close to the foot bridge. Was a 6 minute walk to the south depot and 6 minute walk to the east depot. Buses were about 50/50 good and bad. Had days when they would arrive as we were walking up and had a couple of times that it took over a half hour for one to arrive. One night the driver said this was due to the heavy rain that had happened about a half hour before that.

On Wednesday night, a woman somehow drove her car on to the walking path in between the river and the lobby building. Lucky no one was hurt, but she shook some people up. As far as we can tell, she entered the path over by the foot bridge as you are coming over from Oak Manor or Parterre Place. She drove all the way to the area right before the bridge to cross over to the main pool by the Riverside Mill. Not sure what happened after as we went inside the building to get out of the way after cast members started rushing out.

Saw Bob Jackson one night. So much fun!

I bet that was one confused guest! I can't think of too many places you could drive a car into easily without it being pretty obvious that you are on a footpath - but I guess if you can get a pargo through you could probably squeeze a car in too.

The wide path leading from the parking lot to the riverside, between Magnolia Terrace and Oak Manor, would be my best bet:

POR-MB-2009-0702_forum.jpg

Andre

Last edited:

I just remembered that I forgot to post here that the recreation schedules for July were up a week ago, sorry! See www.portorleans.org/recreation-schedules.php

Here's a bit more information for anyone staying at Port Orleans this coming Independence Day weekend (Friday 3rd and Saturday 4th July) who is not intending to spend the whole day at the parks. Most of the main activities will be taking place at Riverside, but French Quarter guests are very welcome to join in the fun too.

PO.org-Guest-Resort-MemDay1_forum.jpg

Riverside Fair (3rd and 4th July)
  • Hours: 5pm to 8:30pm
  • Location: Riverside Lobby Courtyard (inside the Lobby in case of inclement weather)
  • Food and Beverage will be selling themed drinks and food items
  • Merchandise will be selling themed items as well
  • There will be character greetings, as well as a live band throughout the event
  • Complementary face painting, where guests have the opportunity to choose between a few themed designs
  • Each division of Port Orleans will be hosting their own 'booth' which will include a game of some sort (Recreation will provide the prizes for each booth)
  • Recreation will be hosting activities throughout the event as well, including a dance party, cake walk, trivia, and opportunities to win more prizes!
  • Recreation will also be offering Mickey Tie Dye: Guests can tie dye their own shirt, and even find a hidden mickey within their tie dye. Both child and adult size shirts will be available, and the activity will cost $17
  • At the end of both the 3rd the 4th events, guests can enjoy the Movie under the Stars at 9pm in front of Building 90 Oak Manor (3rd: The Princess and the Frog, 4th: Big Hero 6)
Poolside: Ol’ Man Island at Riverside (3rd and 4th July)
  • Food and Beverage will be hosting an outdoor barbeque where guests can purchase food and drink items from noon to 5pm
  • Recreation will be hosting themed activities from 1pm to 4:45pm
Poolside: Doubloon Lagoon Pool at French Quarter (4th July only)
  • French Quarter will be hosting themed poolside activities from 1pm to 6pm
  • This will be followed by Campfire at 7pm and the Movie under the Stars (Lilo & Stitch) at 9pm

Andre

Starting sometime in early July (so any time now, could even be this weekend?) Port Orleans Riverside will be bringing back the cocktail servers at the Ol' Man Island pool area. There will also be a new bar menu, including specialty drinks that will be unique to Port Orleans. I'll post more details when I get them.

Andre

Starting sometime in early July (so any time now, could even be this weekend?) Port Orleans Riverside will be bringing back the cocktail servers at the Ol' Man Island pool area. There will also be a new bar menu, including specialty drinks that will be unique to Port Orleans. I'll post more details when I get them.

Andre

Will this apply to POFQ pool as well?

Andre
Andre, since you are the POR guru, would you recommend a POR Royal Room River view for 400.00 more than POFQ garden view (taking DD 3 for first trip). Is it worth it?

Hello! My daughter and I are very excited to be staying at POR in September in one of the Royal Rooms. We actually chose this category of room since our friends are booked in the French Quarter and we figure this way we'll likely have a shorter walk to the sister resort to meet up with our friends. We have free dining and will be there for the start of the Food and Wine Festival. Since this is our first stay at POR what are everyone's impressions of the dining options at the resort? The first evening we have dining reservations at the resort and still not sure whether we would bring snacks for breakfast or eat at the food court. Opinions?

Andre, since you are the POR guru, would you recommend a POR Royal Room River view for 400.00 more than POFQ garden view (taking DD 3 for first trip). Is it worth it?

How long for (i.e. how much difference per night)? POFQ Garden View rooms are very nice, but for young girls the excitement of the princessy details and the fireworks headboards at Riverside can be quite a draw. What price difference do you get for a Royal Garden View Room (probably not much, as the differential within the Royal premium categories is quite small).

And of course if you don't tell her about the royal rooms she won't know what she's missed, and will no doubt enjoy POFQ just fine in its own right - and I'm sure it won't be long before she's filled the room with princesses and plush toys anyway. :)

Andre

Garden was just 15.00 less so as you may have noticed from the POFQ thread, we switched to pofq. My husband made the same point, she doesn't know what she is missing. My philosophy is we can put that 400.00 toward another trip with her in the future! :)

Garden was just 15.00 less so as you may have noticed from the POFQ thread, we switched to pofq. My husband made the same point, she doesn't know what she is missing. My philosophy is we can put that 400.00 toward another trip with her in the future! :)
Or toward a few princess character meals... ;)

~Cari~ pluto:

How long for (i.e. how much difference per night)? POFQ Garden View rooms are very nice, but for young girls the excitement of the princessy details and the fireworks headboards at Riverside can be quite a draw. What price difference do you get for a Royal Garden View Room (probably not much, as the differential within the Royal premium categories is quite small).

And of course if you don't tell her about the royal rooms she won't know what she's missed, and will no doubt enjoy POFQ just fine in its own right - and I'm sure it won't be long before she's filled the room with princesses and plush toys anyway. :)

Andre
Whoops I realize I responded incompletely to your question above. It came to about 70.00 more per night for POR Royal Room River View vs. POFQ Garden view. I found POR Royal with Garden view to only be about 15.00more for all 6 nights so that was not worth the change but the change to POFQ is much better! My DH says he can't wait to go.down the dragon slide with DD and for me to get a picture!
And Cari, yes the cost difference will hopefully go toward a CRT meal if we can get a reservation!

Whoops I realize I responded incompletely to your question above. It came to about 70.00 more per night for POR Royal Room River View vs. POFQ Garden view. I found POR Royal with Garden view to only be about 15.00more for all 6 nights so that was not worth the change but the change to POFQ is much better! My DH says he can't wait to go.down the dragon slide with DD and for me to get a picture!
And Cari, yes the cost difference will hopefully go toward a CRT meal if we can get a reservation!

You make such a good point--Disney can be enjoyed in so many different ways! Often, I get hung up on getting a certain reservation, room, etc, but when I think about it, I know my trip will be great even if things aren't exactly the way I thought I wanted them. That being said, I hope you are able to make happy memories on the dragon slide AND at CRT :tink:

We have a garden view room booked for October will we be able to request a mansion building with online check in or should we call?

Schoolinmy3, personally I would just wait and see what they have to offer. If you want snacks, the gift store has stuff. You could also walk over to the FQ and eat breakfast some mornings. On my last trip we bought powdered donuts in the gift shop at SOG and ended up leaving them when we transferred to POR.

We have a garden view room booked for October will we be able to request a mansion building with online check in or should we call?

Mansion Building is not currently one of the things you can request during online checkin (although I have suggested it, and the resort folks think it's a good idea too - just got to get the online team to actually implement it!). So best to phone the reservations center in advance and get your request added to your booking, and maybe consider faxing 3-5 days before arrival if it's very important to you.

Andre

Mansion Building is not currently one of the things you can request during online checkin (although I have suggested it, and the resort folks think it's a good idea too - just got to get the online team to actually implement it!). So best to phone the reservations center in advance and get your request added to your booking, and maybe consider faxing 3-5 days before arrival if it's very important to you.

Andre
Thank you! Its our first mother daughter trip and that's why my mom picked riverside she loved the mansion buildings!

Thank you! Its our first mother daughter trip and that's why my mom picked riverside she loved the mansion buildings!
We love the mansion section so I always have that request on my reservation. Plus I fax 4 days before arrival. The POR room assignors are the best! 4 out of 5 stays we got exactly what we requested. The one stay we didn't we were still in mansion section, just at the far end of Parterre, my least fav location.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter