Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Subbing in, as we will be staying at POR for the first time in October! Our TA scored us FD in a RR. :woohoo:

I apologize if this has been asked before, but can anyone give me info on the elevators for the RR? I have mobility issues and will be using an ECV. My TA has requested ground floor on my reservation, but I know it's not guaranteed, so trying to plan the best I can. Where are the elevators located and are they standard size or generous? I'm worried about trying to fit the ECV in and then get it back out (I'm not the best driver on them). :( I only ask because every year we request ground floor and every year we are up as high as they can get us .... so I expect no different this trip. :rolleyes:

Also, is there a place I can park my ECV nearby so I can ride the boat to DTD and back? I'd love to be able to just sight-see, but I can't walk from my room to the boat dock. Can I just stay on the same boat for the ride back, or will I have to wait for a different boat? My family will want to tour DTD, so I'll have to ride back to get my ECV and hop a bus to meet up with them. Thanks! Can't wait to see POR for the first time!
Elevators are located in centre of buildings. I believe an EVC would fit. I would have your requests of ground floor added on to your reservation. Then fax resort 5 days before arrival requesting ground floor and let them know you have an EVC. Letting room assignors know why you are requesting something really helps in getting you a room that fits your needs.

Maybe someone can help you with boat question.

We have River View booked for our upcoming stay. There seem to be more of those in the AB section. There are only two of us. Me and DS12. What do you think the chances are of us being put in an AB room verses a Mansion room?

There are 27 regular River View rooms in the mansion buildings and 45 in Alligator Bayou, so yes by random chance you'd be more likely to get AB. The families of five logic might fill up some of those AB rooms and load the odds a bit, but not completely. As has been said, put in a request for the mansions (via your original booking and also by fax about 3-5 days before arrival).

I apologize if this has been asked before, but can anyone give me info on the elevators for the RR?

Also, is there a place I can park my ECV nearby so I can ride the boat to DTD and back?

There are two reasonable sized elevators right in the middle of each of the mansion buildings (which is where the Royal Rooms are located). They are easily big enough to accommodate a regular ECV. If you would prefer ground floor though (which would be easier for you) put in a request via your original booking first, and then by fax about 3-5 days before your arrival.

The ferry boats can also accommodate ECVs, so there should be no need to transfer. They do ask that guests disembark at the other end and re-join the return queue (as there will already be other people waiting) but I guess they might make an exception for a guest using an ECV as they would generally board the boat as first priority anyway. I can't guarantee that though.

Andre

Where is the link or info to send specific room requests directly to the resort. I saw this somewhere, but can't find. I check in Friday. Already did online check-in - I have a standard room (convention style ticket), requested mansion buildings, upper floor, near elevator. What might I expect with just the regular room requests through online check-in?

Where is the link or info to send specific room requests directly to the resort. I saw this somewhere, but can't find. I check in Friday.

Here you go.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/po...ench-quarter-room-request-fax-thread.3116216/

Already did online check-in - I have a standard room (convention style ticket), requested mansion buildings, upper floor, near elevator. What might I expect with just the regular room requests through online check-in?

You can expect the room assigners to do their best to grant your requests.

Last edited:

Thanks for all the information on POR! We have reservations for end of October! I appreciate all the hints on room requests. My friend will be on this trip and she has some mobility issues so I will be requesting ground floor near food court. Will that be sufficient or is there something else I should add? Thanks!

Props to Andre for the wonderful website about this resort. It is so informative and helpful!

I have a potential stay coming up here in August! Booked a garden room (as that was the least expensive category option available at the time). Is there a certain place we could expect to be put?

Also just wondering if anyone has ever been upgraded to a Royal Room? We are trying to make the budget work so we can upgrade to one- but figured I'd ask if there was any chance of Pixie Dust if we couldn't!

Elevators are located in centre of buildings. I believe an EVC would fit. I would have your requests of ground floor added on to your reservation. Then fax resort 5 days before arrival requesting ground floor and let them know you have an EVC. Letting room assignors know why you are requesting something really helps in getting you a room that fits your needs.

Maybe someone can help you with boat question.

Thank you, Sue! My TA has already had it noted on my reservation that I need ground floor for medical reasons and will have an ECV. She said she would also follow up prior to arrival closer to check-in. I'll let her know to fax 5 days out as well.

There are two reasonable sized elevators right in the middle of each of the mansion buildings (which is where the Royal Rooms are located). They are easily big enough to accommodate a regular ECV. If you would prefer ground floor though (which would be easier for you) put in a request via your original booking first, and then by fax about 3-5 days before your arrival.

The ferry boats can also accommodate ECVs, so there should be no need to transfer. They do ask that guests disembark at the other end and re-join the return queue (as there will already be other people waiting) but I guess they might make an exception for a guest using an ECV as they would generally board the boat as first priority anyway. I can't guarantee that though.

Andre

Thank you, Andre! My TA has requested ground floor due to medical reasons and said she had it noted I would have an ECV. I will certainly pass along these tips to help her make sure our bases are covered the best we can.

I'm so glad to hear the boats will accommodate ECVs! I looked at a ton of pictures, but they looked like you had to step out to get into the boat (with a few inches away from the dock). So it didn't appear that an ECV could board. If I can board with my ECV, then no need to ride back so sudden! We will enjoy visiting DTD and get lots of shopping done.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

One other question, is there anywhere outside to charge the ECVs at the resort or will I have to bring it in each night? How well would it even fit in the room, and where in the room would be the best place to "park" it for charging, if I need to charge it indoors? Thank you again!

I have a potential stay coming up here in August! Booked a garden room (as that was the least expensive category option available at the time). Is there a certain place we could expect to be put?

Officially, garden view could mean pretty much anywhere (except for the Royal Room buildings, Oak Manor and Parterre Place). It really just means that you won't be facing towards a parking lot. You could put in a request if there's somewhere specific you'd like though, and generally that seems to work (although it's not guaranteed of course).

There have been cases of people being upgraded to Royal Rooms, but it's not very common. Mostly these were "pixie dust" upgrades, i.e. the CMs randomly spreading a little bit of extra magic where they have spare capacity in those rooms. Families with younger kids would be most likely to get noticed I guess. I wouldn't suggest asking for a free upgrade, but it can't do any harm, when you fax in your general location request 3-5 days before arrival, if you happen to mention in passing how much your little princesses are really looking forward to their magical stay at this lovely resort...

One other question, is there anywhere outside to charge the ECVs at the resort or will I have to bring it in each night? How well would it even fit in the room, and where in the room would be the best place to "park" it for charging, if I need to charge it indoors? Thank you again!

They have ramps for wheelchair and ECV access onto the boats, so you'll be fine. As far as charging goes, I think you'd need to keep the ECV inside the room overnight. There is space - some people move the table and use that area, some use the vanity/wash area I believe. I'm not sure if the other space, between the beds and the front door, is still big enough since they added the queen size beds though.

Andre

Officially, garden view could mean pretty much anywhere (except for the Royal Room buildings, Oak Manor and Parterre Place). It really just means that you won't be facing towards a parking lot. You could put in a request if there's somewhere specific you'd like though, and generally that seems to work (although it's not guaranteed of course).

There have been cases of people being upgraded to Royal Rooms, but it's not very common. Mostly these were "pixie dust" upgrades, i.e. the CMs randomly spreading a little bit of extra magic where they have spare capacity in those rooms. Families with younger kids would be most likely to get noticed I guess. I wouldn't suggest asking for a free upgrade, but it can't do any harm, when you fax in your general location request 3-5 days before arrival, if you happen to mention in passing how much your little princesses are really looking forward to their magical stay at this lovely resort...

Thanks for the information on the garden room!

I actually don't have any little princesses! Between my DH and my two little pirates I live in a house with 3 boys! Not a hint of princessy things there! This trip happens to be a 'girl time' trip with just me and my own mom! Maybe something about how us grown up princesses are excited for a magical stay . . . . princess:princess:

Last edited:
Ok hello PO folks, I just made reservations for POR Riverside for Sept. I only have stayed here when it was "Dixie Landing's" for one night back in 1993!!:rolleyes1 So technailly i am a newbie!! :worship:I am excited to be able to stay here for my 25th wedding anniversary..( i originally had POP ressies (nothing against them, for i stayed there last Sept) but decided to splurge to Mod instead) So, what i need from you guys...Which is better..Alligator Bayou or the Mansions? I got the garden view..

Alligator Bayou or the Mansions?

I tend to reply to that question with my typical British wit and ask something like which is better, Blue or Yellow? :)

I kinda switch allegiances fairly regularly to be honesty (I've stayed in all sections, and my next trip will be Alligator Bayou for the pull-down beds) but for some more detailed thoughts on the matter try http://www.portorleans.org/faqs.php#Choice .

Andre

The May 2015 Recreation Activities and Movie Schedules are up on the site if anyone wants to check them, see http://www.portorleans.org/news.php?first=290415&limit=6.

The evening campfires will commence at 7pm this month and the Movies Under the Stars will be screened at 9pm daily at both resorts. The feature swimming pool opening hours start out at 9am—10pm, and should be extended to the full summer hours of 9am—11pm from 24 May.

Andre

I tend to reply to that question with my typical British wit and ask something like which is better, Blue or Yellow? :)

I kinda switch allegiances fairly regularly to be honesty (I've stayed in all sections, and my next trip will be Alligator Bayou for the pull-down beds) but for some more detailed thoughts on the matter try http://www.portorleans.org/faqs.php#Choice .

Andre

Thanks so much!! Def. a helpful link! :flower1:

Andre

Glad to know I'm not the only one who has a hard time deciding--I was originally set on a mansion room and dead-set against the Alligator Bayou rooms--but watching a video in AB changed my mind because I fell in love with all the lush greenery and the preferred rooms' proximity to everything. I booked it and then had to change because someone in our group needed to have a building with an elevator. So now we're booked in a royal room! Guess I'll just need to come back again someday to try out the other rooms :)

Hi all!
We are booked in a standard view Royal Room in September. I understand that there is a high probability that we will end up in a room facing a parking lot. Do we need to worry about excessive noise from the parking lot? Would it be worth the extra cost to try and upgrade to a garden view? We probably won't be spending a tonne of time in the room but when we are there we would rather not be overwhelmed by road/parking noise.

Ok hello PO folks, I just made reservations for POR Riverside for Sept. I only have stayed here when it was "Dixie Landing's" for one night back in 1993!!:rolleyes1 So technailly i am a newbie!! :worship:I am excited to be able to stay here for my 25th wedding anniversary..( i originally had POP ressies (nothing against them, for i stayed there last Sept) but decided to splurge to Mod instead) So, what i need from you guys...Which is better..Alligator Bayou or the Mansions? I got the garden view..

My vote goes to Mansion section :love:. All the buildings are along the river, and it's a beautiful area. And I think it's a little more romantic. I'm not a fan of the rustic twig furniture in AB. I request magnolia Terrace or Acadian House location close to Old Man Island foot bridge.
The Horse & Carriage ride would be fun for your anniversary!
Another thing to consider, since AB section sleeps 5, there may be more young families in that section with 3 children., so mansion section may be quieter? Something to consider for an Anniversary trip!

Thanks for all the information on POR! We have reservations for end of October! I appreciate all the hints on room requests. My friend will be on this trip and she has some mobility issues so I will be requesting ground floor near food court. Will that be sufficient or is there something else I should add? Thanks!

Props to Andre for the wonderful website about this resort. It is so informative and helpful!

The rooms closest to the food court are all preferred views....they have to be booked specifically. There are some rooms that are closer than others that are a regular view....if you didn't book a preferred room, I would just request as close as possible to the food court area.

I stayed there back in '99, just before it went from DxL to POR!! So sad to see that POR and not DxL. And....I changed my Pop stay to a POR stay next month...just for two nights before moving over to OKW (couldn't get BWVs). The first time we went, back in '99, we got AB. I was kind of disappointed, but I now love it there!! So, when I returned, with another family, in '01, they wanted as upscale an experience as possible.....deluxe taste on a moderate budget! So, I asked for a mansion vs AB. We got it but I found I was disappointed...yet again. I would rather have been in AB, but the other family would not have liked that one bit! So, I've been back several times since then....once booked a preferred room, got bldg 14 in AB...very happy. Stayed in Arcadia House...that was nice. This time, we'll spend the two nights in a RR! Big surprise for my 21 y/o dd and her best friend from high school! Can't wait.
I guess, all in all? Either one is going to be good, but different. AB is more overgrown and 'interesting' while the mansion section is a lot more formal and 'dignified'.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter