Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

I booked a standard view room at FQ. Would a request for building 7 or 4 allow closer proximity to walking over to Riverside for their pool and/or food court while still be close to the FQ bus stop, food court and pool? Is one building better than another?? Looks like the views in 4 might be better for the standard rooms??

How often does FQ share buses with Riverside so I can mentally prepare myself!

This is getting real again!!!!

Now, my last trip was 2010 so take this with a grain of "it has been 3 years" salt. We NEVER stopped at POR on our last trip. Even when we were the only two people on the DHS bus one morning for rope drop. Going to the parks it was always just POFQ.

And I never saw "chaos" at the bus depot. Then again, we were usually not going to the same park as the majority of others seemed to be headed.

The pool games are great for the kids. I confess to enjoying lying on a lounger an a slothful state, sipping a cold drink and trying to answer the Trivia questions on my mind as they play :)

It's great because they can swim in between during any games or activities they are less interested in and then run back around to join in for what they like. :thumbsup2

I just want to say hubby and I quit smoking too. jan. 25 will be three years!!! he was up to 3 packs a day. Icould go all day without a cigarette, but once I have a few beers, I wold go through a pack easy;))
you can do it!!!! yay! if hubby can quit, anyone can!

a few years ago we did a really odd split stay. 5 nights at POFQ and 5 nights at POR. while at FQ we walked over to riverside to check out room locations we might want.

we were on the dining plan for the FQ stay, so we went over to Boatwrights at POR our first night. it was kinda weird...

anyway, it was raining on the night we had ADRS at Boatwrights, and they do have a courtesy van for transportation back and forth between the 2 resorts. jsut ask a cast member.(they have the same between kindani and Jambo house at AKL)

I have stayed at POR and didn't mind the multiple bus stops. I actually quite liked it as there wasn't a lot of peole standing/sitting around waiting for the bus.

Now, before my stay at POR, I had only stayed at values which have a bus stop (same area) for each park which I really liked.

So, the one bus stop at POFQ kinda scares me. Not looking forward to the possible chaos.

We stay early November at POFQ the last 3 years. Used to go in dec. in nov I got a seat everytime . Hubby had to stand once but that's because he gave up his seat to an elderly woman.

Is it crazy not to request a building? Is there a bad part to stay?

I've only been to POFQ once, but we didn't request a building. My priority at that point was having a refrigerator in the room (while they were doing the change over!). I did ask for an upper floor to avoid foot traffic by the room. Other than that, I left it up to the "room assignment gods" to put me wherever. Just didn't seem like there was a bad spot anywhere. We ended up in Bldg 3 and it was perfectly fine.

I doubt there's a "bad part," but I'd rather not have Bldg 7 - it seems kind of remote (to the extent that anywhere at POFQ is remote). But some people prefer it because it's closest to POR.

I doubt there's a "bad part," but I'd rather not have Bldg 7 - it seems kind of remote (to the extent that anywhere at POFQ is remote). But some people prefer it because it's closest to POR.

We are going back to POFQ in January after a single stay there back in 2006. We didn't ask for anything back then and got building 7, first floor, with a window right on the parking lot.

Really ugly view, but still super close to the bus stop and main building. After Coronado Springs and Riverside, that walk is nothing.

I would have a look at the resort map and think of what location you'd prefer.
We always have our request on our reservation. I don't like being on ground floor where everyone can peer into window, and I like being close to food court for easy mug refills.

we didn't want to be near the pool (too loud) and heard that the boats beep their horns when they dock so did not want room near river. I am a light sleeper and we had a 2/3 year old who goes to bed early so wanted a quiet room on an upper floor near bus stop and food court. Bldg 4 was perfect. We had to upgrade to Garden View to use FD PIN, had originally booked standard view.

we walked around the resort a lot, I don't think there is a "bad location", it depends on what you want.They do have movies for the kids on the lawn every night from 8-10PM which you can hear in your room.

We also always have a request on our reservation, although we are not too specific about it which may be one of the reasons we've always had our request granted. I also don't like being on the ground floor. Less worried about people peering in; I just prefer if any snakes have to make a bit more effort to get to my door :laughing:

Just called in our room and fridge requests... This time next week we will be eating earl at downtown

In my 4 stays, I have never requested a building and never had a problem. I have stayed in building 3 (twice), building 2 and building 7. Each time we were on the first floor and foot traffic never seemed to be a problem.

We just got home this past Monday (10/28) from a 8 night stay. We were in room 3128 and was a little worried that the foot traffic would be bad because folks would need to walk by our room a lot. We didn't hear much of anything and I am a very light sleeper.

The beds did look rather blah with just the white. I like a heavier blanket so I asked mousekeeping for one and they sent a very soft, white blanket.

We had a refrigerator in our room, as did our friends who went with us (and were staying in building 6). No problems there.

Overall, we were very glad we stayed at POFQ again. For longer stays like this, we normally stay at the Poly. Even though we also love the Poly, we still were quite happy at POFQ.

The reasons you don't like Building 7 is the exact reasons we love building 7. Close to POR and not too far from anything at POFQ (nothing is really far at POFQ). The walk to the boat for DTD is short too. We love being able to wake up and look out over the water too. So many things to like and so little things to dislike. Nothing at POFQ is remote after we stayed at CSR last year and it seemed we spent 20-30 minutes a day walking to and from Rix Cafe.

We just got back from our stay and we loved the resort. The fact that it was so compact made it a much nicer fit for us than Riverside. If we ever do Riverside again we will pay for a preferred room. I hurt my back just before our trip and would have had trouble walking the grounds at Riverside. Between the smaller resort and scooters at the parks I the best of it, not to mention the early trips to the hot tub.

Some thoughts on POFQ:

Building 5, third floor overlooking the grass area where they have the movies and camp fire. It was a good location that was quiet once the movie was done. The room was very clean and was cleaned nicely though out the week. The pool and hot tub area were nice but I did notice they waited until mid morning to clean some areas from the night before. Not a big deal but one that could be avoided easily. The Hot Tub has kids in it on a regular basis but it is Disney and my kids were in it as well.

The food court was awesome for us. Our son has food allergies and Disney is fantastic. The only time he every eats breakfast at a restaurant is at Disney and he loved the safe Mickey waffles and sausage. The Chefs are all so professional and we feel very comfortable at the food court. It is one thing he talks about over and over between trips. I make him waffles all the time but it is not the same. The Beignets were Ok but not really my thing. Ordering four different meals at different stations and dealing with the allergies made for some running around and sometimes we ended up with a tray full of pagers. The sitting area was usually clean but it is another area they could improve on.

We had very good luck with the Bus service, only had one long wait. Only shared service with Riverside once or twice on the trips to the parks, and when it was combined on the way back FQ was the first drop.

We can't wait to go back to the FQ, it is a gem.

We just got back from our stay and we loved the resort. The fact that it was so compact made it a much nicer fit for us than Riverside. If we ever do Riverside again we will pay for a preferred room. I hurt my back just before our trip and would have had trouble walking the grounds at Riverside. Between the smaller resort and scooters at the parks I the best of it, not to mention the early trips to the hot tub.

Some thoughts on POFQ:

Building 5, third floor overlooking the grass area where they have the movies and camp fire. It was a good location that was quiet once the movie was done. The room was very clean and was cleaned nicely though out the week. The pool and hot tub area were nice but I did notice they waited until mid morning to clean some areas from the night before. Not a big deal but one that could be avoided easily. The Hot Tub has kids in it on a regular basis but it is Disney and my kids were in it as well.

The food court was awesome for us. Our son has food allergies and Disney is fantastic. The only time he every eats breakfast at a restaurant is at Disney and he loved the safe Mickey waffles and sausage. The Chefs are all so professional and we feel very comfortable at the food court. It is one thing he talks about over and over between trips. I make him waffles all the time but it is not the same. The Beignets were Ok but not really my thing. Ordering four different meals at different stations and dealing with the allergies made for some running around and sometimes we ended up with a tray full of pagers. The sitting area was usually clean but it is another area they could improve on.

We had very good luck with the Bus service, only had one long wait. Only shared service with Riverside once or twice on the trips to the parks, and when it was combined on the way back FQ was the first drop.

We can't wait to go back to the FQ, it is a gem.

This is great to hear! My son also has food allergies and I have a back injury and we just booked POFQ for our first time for May. I am especially happy to hear that the food court was good about allergies as we have quite the list: gluten, soy, egg, nuts-hopefully he can find something yummy but Disney is pretty much the only place where he can eat out and a main reason we must stay onsite. Happy to hear POFQ food court was no exception to the great service we've received on our other 2 trips!

Andre,
Do you know if POFQ has microwaves available for guests with medical needs to have in their rooms?? My son has severe dry eyes-his eyes make no oils on their own and they get really red and sore. The dr has us heating up a special beanbag type thing in a microwave and placing over his eyes which helps him tremendously. I just wasn't sure about using a common microwave in a food court for something that will be going on his eyes. If all else fails I suppose we could use a warm washcloth but he likes to fall asleep with it and that could cause a wet mess! Or maybe bring my heating pad and warm it up that way. I suppose I could get creative but was just curious if Disney resorts even offer such a service and who I would even make the request to if they do. Thanks and not urgent-we don't go until may:) thinking ahead!

The reasons you don't like Building 7 is the exact reasons we love building 7. Close to POR and not too far from anything at POFQ (nothing is really far at POFQ). The walk to the boat for DTD is short too. We love being able to wake up and look out over the water too. So many things to like and so little things to dislike. Nothing at POFQ is remote after we stayed at CSR last year and it seemed we spent 20-30 minutes a day walking to and from Rix Cafe.

We love bldg 7 always ask for it. Will be in it on Friday lol we have a RR in bldg 7

Andre, Do you know if POFQ has microwaves available for guests with medical needs to have in their rooms?? My son has severe dry eyes-his eyes make no oils on their own and they get really red and sore. The dr has us heating up a special beanbag type thing in a microwave and placing over his eyes which helps him tremendously. I just wasn't sure about using a common microwave in a food court for something that will be going on his eyes. If all else fails I suppose we could use a warm washcloth but he likes to fall asleep with it and that could cause a wet mess! Or maybe bring my heating pad and warm it up that way. I suppose I could get creative but was just curious if Disney resorts even offer such a service and who I would even make the request to if they do. Thanks and not urgent-we don't go until may:) thinking ahead!

Wonder if u could put bean bag in a plastic bag and heat up that way if you can not get a microwave for your own use?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter