Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I'm very new to this forum and I find this thread to be especially helpful. Thank you so much to all of the Disney (and especially Poly) veterans for keeping this thread going!!

We are a family of 4, DH, DW(me), DS(9) and DS(5), travelling to Poly during Thanksgiving of 2015.

Already made reservations, bought tickets and doing the fine details at this point.

I have a few questions:

1) I have made a room request for Rarotonga Monorail side because I want to minimize the construction face time but also wanted the convenience of location. How long of a walk is Rarotonga to GCH, Bus stop and TTC? That's with a 5 year old walking pace. We are going for his birthday but he is a huge complainer :)

2) I read through the thread and found out that the splash area has one slide with height requirement of under 48 ( I'm really hoping this is true, I'd love my 9 y.o. can play in that area with 5y.o.) What is the height requirement for the lava pool slide? It seems that pre-refurbishment, there was no height limit and kids were allowed to go down wearing a life vest (as a single rider). Is this still true post-refurb?

3) Finally, I'm trying to make some ADR choices. Besides the Poly restaurants, what are some of the easily accessed resorts where I can make dinner ressies at? I'm assuming the other monorail resorts; GF and CR but are there any other resorts? How would you access WL from Poly?

Thanks so much in advance!

1) Can't help you on since before becoming DVC we always requested and stayed in Samoa.

2). My DD9 played in the splash area and is 52 inches in height. Her much taller but younger cousin also played in there. The height restriction is only for the smaller of the two slides. Only for kids under 48". As for the other slide, DD9 was 2 the first time she went down. You cannot go together but you can go down first and be there to catch. I helped a mom in April waiting with her little guy and then I fillowed! May I say I am NOT the oldest to go down by a few decades and proud to say I'm 43! Please do not make be feel alone :(

3) WL is not that bad, nor is Ft. Wilderness. Boat (or monorail) to MK and then switch boats to WL and Ft.W.

... May I say I am NOT the oldest to go down by a few decades and proud to say I'm 43! Please do not make be feel alone :(

3) WL is not that bad, nor is Ft. Wilderness. Boat (or monorail) to MK and then switch boats to WL and Ft.W.

I would go down that slide too if I could get up to it! :D :rotfl2:

Good to know they aren't annoying. But I keep imagining a scenario where we arrive at a park and my not so organized teen has forgotten to put back on her magic band. I might just tell her she can't ever take it off, it's a Disney law! Lol! (Just kidding).
Ahhhh teenagers gotta love em.:p
And this is why we do a magicband check before we walk out of the room! Also teenagers like their charging privileges if you give them. Can't forget the MB!

Do Ohana reservations ever open last minute on a Friday or is that a lost cause?
We've had luck, but you have to keep trying. With the new 24 hour cancellation (even though not new to O'hana) you may have luck even when on-site.

I have a silly O'hana question... is it a good choice even for pescetarians? My daughter doesn't think so :( but we've never been, and I'm pretty curious about it. :-) We do eat shrimp and veggies and such. Thank you in advance! :flower3:

Last edited:
View attachment 94414
Hi Sue! I think each of the big resorts have just a couple of accessible rooms that are both wheel friendly and have a bath (with bars). I have Ehlers Danlos and rheumatoid arthritis and being in water helps control body pain. This image is from Walt Disney website in room views for Poly Garden view. :-) https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/polynesian-resort/rates-rooms/
Good to know! I've only seen or heard of the roll in shower. Learned something new! You'll love Poly zero entry pool.

I have a silly O'hana question... is it a good choice even for pescatarians? My daughter doesn't think so :( but we've never been, and I'm pretty curious about it. :-) We do eat shrimp and veggies and such. Thank you in advance! :flower3:
I think somewhere Tikiman posted recent menu. They have the best ever bread. Shrimp skewers, salad and yummy bread pudding dessert.
At least I hope they still have the shrimp skewers. Noodle salad, & stir fried veggie

Last edited:

I think somewhere Tikiman posted recent menu. They have the best ever bread. Shrimp skewers, salad and yummy bread pudding dessert.
At least I hope they still have the shrimp skewers.
Me too on the shrimp skewers...that sounds tasty! I'll go look for the review! Is it on this site or the Tikidman site? Thanks for the heads up @Sue M ! :thumbsup2

I have worn my MB's in the pool, hot tub and shower without any problems. Mostly I just wear all day. However sometimes in the morning before my coffee I can't get it on so I just attach it to the strap of my Vera Bradley "Mousing Around" mini hipster.

I can just lift it to open the door. Mostly I need this when staying CL because I need to go fetch my coffee. Sometimes I do just leave it there and lift it up to use for admission or FP without any inconvenience.

I usually bring at 2 of them. I generally leave one strapped on my purse in case I walk out without one on my wrist. (I repeat, in the morning before coffee!!!:laughing:)
I have been sent two sets of magic bands because we are doing a split stay. So, if I'm understanding you correctly I can activate both sets? This could help tremendously because I too suffer from brain dysfunction prior to coffee injections!

1) Can't help you on since before becoming DVC we always requested and stayed in Samoa.

2). My DD9 played in the splash area and is 52 inches in height. Her much taller but younger cousin also played in there. The height restriction is only for the smaller of the two slides. Only for kids under 48". As for the other slide, DD9 was 2 the first time she went down. You cannot go together but you can go down first and be there to catch. I helped a mom in April waiting with her little guy and then I fillowed! May I say I am NOT the oldest to go down by a few decades and proud to say I'm 43! Please do not make be feel alone :(

I actually did a thorough research of the resort @Tikiman 's unofficial Poly page and found a great map that once clicked, showed distance in minutes from the building to all of the necessary areas of the resort! Thank you so much for a great page!

Your daughter is one brave one to be going down a big pool slide at age 2!! As thrill-seeker as my DS5 is, I doubt he would've gone down it at 2!! but at age 5, he'd be one jealous boy if only his older brother got to go on it. So glad he can ride it! I'm turning big 40 this October so I'm not behind you by much and I plan to go down for sure!

Glad WL will work because I want to try the Whispering Canyon's platter!:yay:

:thanks:1971DBday! I think I'm ready for Poly now!!

I'll head on over there! :thanks:
Cooks of Dublin in dtd has the best fish & chips!! If your having a DTD day, worth checking out. It's a CS. Raglan Road is their TS. Also check out Fultons in DTD. Coral Seas at Epcot, Columbia Harbour House in MK has a great Miso Salmon, and so does Yak & Yeti in AK.

Cooks of Dublin in dtd has the best fish & chips!! If your having a DTD day, worth checking out. It's a CS. Raglan Road is their TS. Also check out Fultons in DTD. Coral Seas at Epcot, Columbia Harbour House in MK has a great Miso Salmon, and so does Yak & Yeti in AK.
Thank you for the suggestions! :D Oh yes we loved Cooks (at least I think that is what it was called!) last time! That was some tasty fish! I'm hoping for Fulton's on my birthday while we're there as lobster is my favorite food (besides sushi)!!! We've never been but it looks ridiculously delicious! :lovestruc

I have been sent two sets of magic bands because we are doing a split stay. So, if I'm understanding you correctly I can activate both sets? This could help tremendously because I too suffer from brain dysfunction prior to coffee injections!

Yup. Both will work for your entire trip.

I have a silly O'hana question... is it a good choice even for pescetarians? My daughter doesn't think so :( but we've never been, and I'm pretty curious about it. :-) We do eat shrimp and veggies and such. Thank you in advance! :flower3:
What is a pescetarian?

‘Ohana has a great vegan bowl. I ordered it along with the regular menu items that came to the table so I could try it. I found it to be very tasty. Just let them know ahead of time and the chef usually will make up something tasty for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter