Disney's Magical Express -- Luggage Tag Info

^Their check-in time at the Pop is 3pm, and their flight arrives 15 hours before that -- they can't sleep at the Pop when they arrive.

^Their check-in time at the Pop is 3pm, and their flight arrives 15 hours before that -- they can't sleep at the Pop when they arrive.
He knows that ... he posted that they will spend their first night at the Hyatt or another place close to the airport, then take the DME bus to Pop in the morning. There will be no problem with doing this. His question was whether he'll be able to have his checked bags delivered to Pop via DME, versus claiming the bags himself and taking them to the DME bus when he rides the DME bus sometime after sunrise on 7/10.

No, that's not quite correct. Yes, 3 pm is technically 'checkin' time. But the majority of times I have checked into a Disney resort, I have been able to get into my room right away. My arrival times have varied from 9 am right up to the 3 pm time....depends on whether or not the room is cleaned and ready yet. There is no need to wait until 3 pm.
But, I do know the computers in the resorts are maintained around 3-4 am, so that could possibly present a problem.
I would just take the bags with me, to the Hyatt (or wherever they end up) and then hop on the DME bus, with their luggage the next morning. Or, try to get that night of arrival at POP.....it's a funny situation though. You could try to book that arrival night and only get partial use of the day/night, because of the lateness of the arrival.

He knows that ... he posted that they will spend their first night at the Hyatt or another place close to the airport, then take the DME bus to Pop in the morning. There will be no problem with doing this. His question was whether he'll be able to have his checked bags delivered to Pop via DME, versus claiming the bags himself and taking them to the DME bus when he rides the DME bus sometime after sunrise on 7/10.

They're resonding to my thought that perhaps they could take the bus since it's 'sort of' their checkin day. I was kinda thinking out loud.
But....I still don't know if the luggage would get to POP..yes, it would be technically on the day the reservation starts. But, again, there's that 'system maintianence' in the wee hours..the computers are upgrading or some such thing. I wonder if the room reservation just wouldn't show up until the date switched.

Just got my DME packet in the mail today. Noticed they have reduced the number of yellow tags to one per person...I'm guessing in response to the new airline policy on charging for a 2nd bag. But since we purchased our tickets back in January before the 2nd bag charge took effect, we were planning on checking 2 bags each. So how would I obtain additional yellow tags?

I got my tags on the 1st (5.5 weeks out) and I got two per person. However, I'm flying Southwest which doesn't have a 1 bag limit. In any case, you can call them and ask for more tags.

Tags pictured below. I blurred out all the personal info, but for the curious the tags contained (from top to bottom):
-A Code-128 barcode that reads "0203" on my barcode scanner
-Same "0203" Barcode rotated 90 degrees
-"EC1-2" on one person's tags and "EC2-2" on the second person's tags
-A blue Mickey head with a white "EC" in it (since we're in an Epcot region resort)
-The name of our resort: "Caribbean Beach"
-A barcode that is unique to each tag with a unique 18-digit number printed below it
-The billing name on the reservation
-The passenger name for that tag
-Our arrival date
-Our Magic Express reservation number
-Our WDW reservation number
-All the above information rotated 180 degrees

wrnko1.jpg

Thanks for the help! I will call the number in the DME booklet tomorrow. I am about 5 1/2 weeks out myself, so hopefully they will be prompt in sending the additional tags.

There is a good chance I will not get my ME tags. We leave the 22nd of July. My question is have any of you had Disney handle your luggage without the tags, with no incidents?

How long ahead of our trip will our tags come? I am 50 some odd days out right now. Thanks!!

There is a good chance I will not get my ME tags. We leave the 22nd of July. My question is have any of you had Disney handle your luggage without the tags, with no incidents?

Many many many people have done it, and here on the DIS we have NEVER read even one single complaint about the process. It may seem like a new and strange idea to you, but it's an established procedure that's been in place since Day One in May 2005. For the DME CMs it's just another day at the office.

How long ahead of our trip will our tags come? I am 50 some odd days out right now. Thanks!!
Most people report getting their DME packets about 4-5 weeks before they are due to depart.

This thread is so long I am sorry I haven't been able to go through it all as my question might be in here.

I got my tags yesterday for my August 21 arrival. I had switched hotels about 2 weeks ago or so. The tags still say ASMu but I am staying at Pop. My TA says it is okay, the reservation is changed and they have the right info on the bar code. She said to just cross out the ASMu part.

Is this the right procedure? I just don't want to have my bag end up where I am not. I am tempted to just pick it up myself now instead of letting them do it.

Allyson

This thread is so long I am sorry I haven't been able to go through it all as my question might be in here.

I got my tags yesterday for my August 21 arrival. I had switched hotels about 2 weeks ago or so. The tags still say ASMu but I am staying at Pop. My TA says it is okay, the reservation is changed and they have the right info on the bar code. She said to just cross out the ASMu part.

Is this the right procedure? I just don't want to have my bag end up where I am not. I am tempted to just pick it up myself now instead of letting them do it.

Allyson
Yes, your TA is absolutely correct. As long as your reservation NUMBER didn't change, then everything is just fine.

The barcode gives them access to your reservation info, so they know ehere to deliver the bag to. Since your reservation info in the computer now says you are staying at Pop, your bags will be directed to Pop. Crossing out ASMu is just a precaution ... but a wise one.

Just got my DME packet in the mail today. Noticed they have reduced the number of yellow tags to one per person...I'm guessing in response to the new airline policy on charging for a 2nd bag. But since we purchased our tickets back in January before the 2nd bag charge took effect, we were planning on checking 2 bags each. So how would I obtain additional yellow tags?
Interesting...I received our packet a few days ago and it included 2 tags for each of us. I purchased our tickets in October and plan to use all the tags (14 total). Glad DME is handling the luggage! I just hope we don't have any problems checking all of them back on at the resort when we return.

Sorry in advance if my basic question is already answered on this thread but I wanted to confirm:

We have been up-in-the-air on using ME in regards to timing of getting our bags to our resort.

Are we allowed to:
Claim our bags from baggage claim and take them onto the ME bus ourselves, thus having them in our possession when we get to the resort? If yes, do we need to still make arrangments with Disney and ask for the ME program (and luggage tags) so that we are allowed on the bus itself? I relaize if we get the tags not to put them on so that the bags make their way to the baggage claim area.

For our return trip, is it true you can check in for your flight and hand off your bags at the resort itself? We are staying at the Contemporary. If this is all a yes, do we still need to sign up for ME

Thanks- - -

Just was curious if this is allowed and whether we still need to contact Disney for the need of ME service.

Sorry in advance if my basic question is already answered on this thread but I wanted to confirm:

We have been up-in-the-air on using ME in regards to timing of getting our bags to our resort.

Are we allowed to:
Claim our bags from baggage claim and take them onto the ME bus ourselves, thus having them in our possession when we get to the resort? If yes, do we need to still make arrangments with Disney and ask for the ME program (and luggage tags) so that we are allowed on the bus itself? I relaize if we get the tags not to put them on so that the bags make their way to the baggage claim area.

For our return trip, is it true you can check in for your flight and hand off your bags at the resort itself? We are staying at the Contemporary. If this is all a yes, do we still need to sign up for ME

Thanks- - -

Just was curious if this is allowed and whether we still need to contact Disney for the need of ME service.
You do need to have an advance reservation with DME in order to ride the bus. But, if you choose not to have DME transport your bags, then do not tag them. Then you can head to baggage claim yourself, retreive your bags and take them to the bus with you. Be aware though....your bus driver will be expecting a tip then. DME takes care of tipping if used as designed. But, if you take bags on the bus, that have to be stowed underneath the bus (and thats pretty much anything other than a tote bag), tipping is up to the guest. Same thing when you get to the resort. You will be expected to tip anyone that brings your luggage to the room or stores it for you until the room is ready for you. But, enough of tipping.

For the return to MCO...yes, you can check your bags right at your resort if you are flying on a 'participating airline'. Those are...Airtran, Alaska, American, Continental, Delta, Jetblue, Northwest and United. If you are flying home on one of those airlines, you can head to the RAC (remote airline checkin) counter at the resort. There, they will tag your bags, print out your boarding pass and you're good to go. Just return to the DME bus stop about 15 mins prior to the time you were given.

If you are not flying home on one of those airline, you can just take your bags with you, to the bus. They will be loaded under the bus you are riding on, then handed off to you when you get to the airport. Then, you will checkin at your airline counter as you normally would.

But again.....in order to ride the bus, either way, you must have an advance reservation. So, if you think you are going to want to take DME to the resort, call whomever you booked your resort stay with and have them add DME to your reservation.

So how much would you tip the ME bus driver?
Well it depends. Usually, you would tip $1-2 per bag anytime someone 'touches' your bags. But, I have been on the DME, with no bags other than my carryon tote, which I held in my lap, and I still tipped the driver. He was terrific. Really pleasant, with hysterical little stories about the area. He was a good and safe driver, and was able to regale us with hints about the area and things to do. He got a $5 tip from me as I got off the bus.
But, there was the driver who insisted on letting his guests know that gratuities are gratefully accepted. Now, undestand...there is a sign, right next to the driver (you can't miss it) that says the exact same thing. I really resent being told to tip. Add to that the fact that this fellow never made conversation, was not overly friendly..the only thing I heard him say was his spiel about a tip. I had two largish carryons stowed underneath the bus on that ride...the driver got nothing.

People need to understand that a tip is for service that is above and beyond what you expect. Now, I don't want to hear about the poor bus driver, who makes barely enough to feed his family. It is not up to me to subsidize the paycheck that Mears gives him. If he wants something 'extra' from me, then I want something 'extra' from him. Be pleasant, be welcoming...you don't have to go overboard. But, if a driver expects a tip, he/she should be more friendly than only asking for a tip Acknowledging the guest as they board, with a pleasant comment, then again when the guest hops off the bus. If the driver isn't comfortable driving while talking, fine...I have no problem with that. He is being paid to drive me, safely, from MCO to my resort. If I get that friendly 'Hello mam....are you ready for some good times at WDW?' and a 'It's been a pleasure to have you ride with us..have a great stay.', or something similar, I'm going to hand over a little something extra.

Sorry to go off on a rant here...but this is my huge peeve. A tip is something you earn..it is not an automatic thing. I do the same thing with wait staff. They will always get something.....10% if mediocre, 15% if what I would expect, 29% if outstanding.

So, there you go.....in short, $1-2 per bag if you feel you got good service from the driver.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter