• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's Magical Express -- Luggage Tag Info

Can anyone help give an estimate as to how long it takes to travel with MDE? Our flight arrives just after 5pm on a Thursday, and we plan to handle our own bags since arriving later in the day, so I figure by the time we pick up our bags, check in with MDE, wait whatever time for a bus to depart for WDW, whatever resorts it may stop at first, and to actually arrive at our own, I'm thinking optimistically close to 7pm but realistically 8pm or later for reaching the Contemporary?

For planning purposes (ADRs/FP), I'd estimate 90 minutes from the welcome center to the resort or 3hrs from the welcome center to a theme park, of course your mileage may vary. The wait at the airport could be 0-30 minutes, and the drive could be 30-80 mins depending on if you're the first stop or the 4th stop.

If you have yellow tags from another reservation those can still be used. You would just used a black sharpie and cross off the bar codes, res number, and date and write in the new info. The yellow tag will ensure the airline routes it to the Disney luggage center that's outside the airport. When it arrives, they won't be able to scan it, so they'll look up your reservation using the info you wrote on the tag. They'll print out new tags and send the bag on it's way.
This isn't something I would recommend. I've had huge issues when changing my resort, and keeping the exact same reservation number. There's no way I would cross everything off and write in new info. Way too much opportunity for errors to be made.

Just an update on the situation I posted about last week. I called DME and confirmed that they had my correct arrival information. I also explained that my tags showed the arrival date of the 2nd part of our reservation. She told me to go ahead and use those tags. She said if I wanted to, I could cross out the date and reservation number and write in the correct date and reservation number but I really didn't have to. I did end up crossing the incorrect date out and wrote in the correct info. Our bag came to our room in the same amount of time it normally does. Of course, we were dealing with two reservations at the same resort so that probably eliminated a lot of the possible confusion or room for error. I probably would not have used the yellow tags with the wrong info if they were intended for a different resort.

Of course, despite DME seemingly having all the correct info for my departure, I never received a notice with our pickup time and or our boarding passes so I had to call them again at the end of the trip. LOL

At any rate, thanks to everyone here for your help!

How long does it typically take for the luggage tags to be delivered? We leave June 1st and I called Disney on 5/16 to let them know we would be taking ME and gave them our flight info

How long does it typically take for the luggage tags to be delivered? We leave June 1st and I called Disney on 5/16 to let them know we would be taking ME and gave them our flight info

If DME has your info well in advance, they're received around 26 days before checking in. If you call and book DME within 40 days of check in, they'll arrive within 2 week of when you called.

If DME has your info well in advance, they're received around 26 days before checking in. If you call and book DME within 40 days of check in, they'll arrive within 2 week of when you called.

I booked my MDE well in advance and I did not get mine until 5/19 for a 6/5 arrival. Hope this helps. I was actually going to call them the next day if they had not shown up

I received my brochure and yellow tags in the mail today. I had originally signed up for DME bUT decided to rent a car instead. If I don't use the yellow tags, I can get my own luggage from carousel and head to car rental counter correct? I don't want to cancel DME in case I change my mind about rental car at last minute.

I received my brochure and yellow tags in the mail today. I had originally signed up for DME bUT decided to rent a car instead. If I don't use the yellow tags, I can get my own luggage from carousel and head to car rental counter correct? I don't want to cancel DME in case I change my mind about rental car at last minute.
Won't be an issue at all.

Forgive me if this was already asked, but are the plastic luggage tags no longer sent out? We received our yellow tags in the mail today (which seemed kind of early, as our trip is in late August) but not the plastic souvenir tags that we've gotten on all previous trips. Will they be sent separately, or have they been discontinued?

Forgive me if this was already asked, but are the plastic luggage tags no longer sent out? We received our yellow tags in the mail today (which seemed kind of early, as our trip is in late August) but not the plastic souvenir tags that we've gotten on all previous trips. Will they be sent separately, or have they been discontinued?
They actually got improved. They now ship with your MB. But they only go out to those that book packages. If you book room only you don't get them. So as an AP holder, we've never gotten them

Oh, and as I understand it, they are in the bottom of the box underneath the insert so they are often overlooked

I haven't gotten my tags yet!
Never fear. You have two options. You can claim your bags like normal, or you can have Disney claim them for you as if you did have those yellow tags. Bypass baggage claim, and go straight to the Welcome Center. From there, give the Cast Member your luggage claim tickets. They will create replacement tags for you, find your bags, tag them, and send them to your resort.

Based one experience - how "reliable" is the above???? Asking because we have 3 adults and 1 child going next week. We received 3 luggage tags (none were send for our 3 yo). Of course she'll have luggage. Based on the above - it shouldn't be a problem but will worry myself sick "wondering" if it actually got tagged?

Any comments? Suggestions? We leave NEXT WED. 6/1.

Never fear. You have two options. You can claim your bags like normal, or you can have Disney claim them for you as if you did have those yellow tags. Bypass baggage claim, and go straight to the Welcome Center. From there, give the Cast Member your luggage claim tickets. They will create replacement tags for you, find your bags, tag them, and send them to your resort.

Based one experience - how "reliable" is the above???? Asking because we have 3 adults and 1 child going next week. We received 3 luggage tags (none were send for our 3 yo). Of course she'll have luggage. Based on the above - it shouldn't be a problem but will worry myself sick "wondering" if it actually got tagged?

Extremely reliable. We've done it numerous times.

Is the 3 y/o listed on the room reservation? Anyone who is listed on the reservation should get a luggage tag. If not listed on the reservation, then in all probability, the child may not be listed on DME at all! If a child is a lap baby, then fine. But lap babies aren't able to have luggage..only those with a paid seat are entitled to luggage.

Oh, something else dawned on me.
I would do 1 of 2 things (so you don't make the same mistake I did)
Either use none of the yellow tags and give the ME CM all your claim checks
or
Make sure you know which of the claim checks go with the bags without yellow tags.

Otherwise, they have to record all your claim numbers and then figure out which of those are the bags they need to retrieve from the baggage claim area.
It will be easier on them to know exactly what to look for.

And it can be hard to intercept the claim numbers as they are applied to your documentation to know which are which.
So I would go with not using any yellow tags if you don't have enough for all bags.

We are arriving at WDW on June 25th & haven't received our packet from Magical Express yet. I'm not sure if I should be worried yet.
We never received the packet for our last trip, so that's why I'm concerned.

We are arriving at WDW on June 25th & haven't received our packet from Magical Express yet. I'm not sure if I should be worried yet.
We never received the packet for our last trip, so that's why I'm concerned.
When did you give them your flight info?
We arrive on 6/19 and got our luggage tags on Friday. I gave them our info about 2 weeks ago.
You can always call to confirm they have your info but really, it isn't an issue.
You can use ME luggage services without yellow tags
You can use ME buses as long as you have a Resort reservation

When did you give them your flight info?
We arrive on 6/19 and got our luggage tags on Friday. I gave them our info about 2 weeks ago.
You can always call to confirm they have your info but really, it isn't an issue.
You can use ME luggage services without yellow tags
You can use ME buses as long as you have a Resort reservation

I gave them the info. in Jan. for our June trip.
For our April trip, I gave the info. 6 months in advance.

I know I can use the Magical Express bus & tags aren't needed. BUT my sil had this same issue & then her bags didn't get delivered to her room for over 24 hrs. I would prefer to get the Magical Express packet in the mail & use the yellow tags.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter