Disney's FORT WILDERNESS CABINS & CAMPGROUNDS Information & Questions

Is there Mousekeeping?
The Cabins have Mousekeeping every day. Also if you leave out any dirty dishes they will put them in the dishwasher and turn it on so that you will have clean dishes when you return.

It was 1 degree when I got in my car this morning and more snow is predicted for tomorrow -- 5 days until GF and 8 until FW!!!!

Tom

Hi everyone! We are planning a trip to FW for Mickey's Backyard BBQ on July 4th and can't wait! We are staying at the Poly - what would be the quickest route to FW - the boat to MK and then the boat to FW? The monorail to Contemporary and then the boat to FW? A taxi? Is an hour enough time to get back from the BBQ to the Poly? If the BBQ starts at 5pm, is it over at 7pm? We have a 4th of July cruise booked that night at 8pm. Thank you so much for any advice/suggestions/ideas!

Since you are planning for July 4th, I am not sure which route would be better.

I am not sure if you would be better going via MK or CR on July 4th. I would probably go MK, either via monorail or boat, and then the boat from MK to FW. I cannot remember how long the boat would take from Poly to MK, but I think the monorail is about 10 minutes. The boat from MK to FW is about 15 minutes once you are on the boat. I would think 1 hour would be enough, but you might want to add at least 15 minutes in case you have any waits longer than 20 minutes at your transfer points.

If you take a taxi, I would suggest taking the taxi to WL, it would be about a 5 minute drive, and then walk or bus to FW. The walk is about 10 minutes. The wait for the bus could be 10-20 minutes for a 1-2 minute drive, but you are dropped off at the Settlement, which is where the BBQ is. The taxi to FW would drop you at the Outpost and you would have to take one the internal buses to the Settlement. I have not had any problems with the internal buses, but they can eat up some time with the multiple stops they make. If you take the taxi to WL and then walk, you should only need about 1 hour from the time you depart Poly.

As for your return, I do not know how long it would take for the BBQ. If you only have 1 hour to get back, it might be pushing it via WDW transportation if there are a lot of people lined up for the boats.

A cab is probably the quickest way to get there as they are not that far away from each other. Otherwise, monorail to contemporary to boat -- that will take at least 20 minutes assuming that the boat is ready to leave just as you get aboard. I don't know how long it will take for the BBQ as w

Just booked my first stay at the cabins at Fort Wilderness! I'm so excited to see what this resort has to offer. Only 135 days left! :)

This is our 2nd stay at the cabins ( here in our cabin right now) still love it! We were originally booked at WL CL but decided we needed more room and came back. It is just as great as I remember. It is so nice and peaceful here after the craziness of the parks!

It is so nice and peaceful here after the craziness of the parks!

That's always the thing that gets to me, about the cabins. (And WL).

To me, the sheer change that there is, in atmosphere, between the park, and the "wilderness".

Yeah, the huge amount of space is really nice. But what really does it, for me, is that boat ride. The transition.

Since you are planning for July 4th, I am not sure which route would be better.

I am not sure if you would be better going via MK or CR on July 4th. I would probably go MK, either via monorail or boat, and then the boat from MK to FW. I cannot remember how long the boat would take from Poly to MK, but I think the monorail is about 10 minutes. The boat from MK to FW is about 15 minutes once you are on the boat. I would think 1 hour would be enough, but you might want to add at least 15 minutes in case you have any waits longer than 20 minutes at your transfer points.

If you take a taxi, I would suggest taking the taxi to WL, it would be about a 5 minute drive, and then walk or bus to FW. The walk is about 10 minutes. The wait for the bus could be 10-20 minutes for a 1-2 minute drive, but you are dropped off at the Settlement, which is where the BBQ is. The taxi to FW would drop you at the Outpost and you would have to take one the internal buses to the Settlement. I have not had any problems with the internal buses, but they can eat up some time with the multiple stops they make. If you take the taxi to WL and then walk, you should only need about 1 hour from the time you depart Poly.

As for your return, I do not know how long it would take for the BBQ. If you only have 1 hour to get back, it might be pushing it via WDW transportation if there are a lot of people lined up for the boats.

A cab is probably the quickest way to get there as they are not that far away from each other. Otherwise, monorail to contemporary to boat -- that will take at least 20 minutes assuming that the boat is ready to leave just as you get aboard. I don't know how long it will take for the BBQ as w

Thank you so much for your feedback! I'm not too concerned with getting there... it is getting back to the Poly I guess that is more of a concern! Maybe we will Monorail/boat it to FW and then taxi it back to Poly? Still need to give it some thought!

Thank you so much for your feedback! I'm not too concerned with getting there... it is getting back to the Poly I guess that is more of a concern! Maybe we will Monorail/boat it to FW and then taxi it back to Poly? Still need to give it some thought!

I second the cab! It took us about an hour and 15 to get there last night from the cabins.

Got a (possibly complicated) question about the logistics of checking in to the Cabins:

The situation: My brother is attanding a conference in Orlando, Saturday and Sunday. He's bringing his family (wife and 4 kids, aged 8-17) with him, and doing Disney, after the conference.

Mike has been to Disney multiple times, and stayed in the Cabins, once. The rest of the family has never been.

Mike and family arrive in Orlando Friday night. Rent car. Check into the conference hotel.

Mike attends conference. Family uses rental car to visit Florida. (But not Disney.)

Sunday, I assume around 5:00, mike is done with conference. They're checking in the Cabin, Sunday.

They're a party of 6. And you can't reserve a 6-person golf cart. The arrangements I've made, for golf carts, is that they have reservations for two, 4-person golf carts. And if a 6-person cart is available, then they'll just take that, instead.

Sunday, 8:55. California Grill. (Along with me and my Mom, who will be staying in Contemporary. We checked in on Saturday.) Watch fireworks from the CG observation deck.

----------

Now, Mike has an idea. What he wants to do, when the conference is over, is to drive the rental car to the airport, turn it in, and take Disney transportation to the Cabins. He doesn't think he's going to need the car, for his three Disney days. Figures he can save like $75 by turning it in.

I'm wondering if this is going to be a real pain.

For one thing, can he use DME, on Sunday, when his plane came in on Friday?

Then I'm wondering about luggage. Assume he's going to have to carry everything. (Obviously, DME can't intercept it. He's going to be using it, for two days.) Will he and his family have to carry all their luggage, on the bus?

Then he and his family are going to arrive, carrying all their luggage, to check in. How to get luggage to the cabin?

Then, at least one person has to go to get at least one golf cart. (And, if they wind up with two golf carts, they either need to both go, or make two trips.)

----------

Is this just gonna be way too complicated to go through, as everybody's memory of arriving at the most Magical Place on Earth?

Or am I just imagining things being more complicated than they really are?

Oh, and a second question: Any idea what the hours are, when you can pick up a golf cart?

Last edited:
For one thing, can he use DME, on Sunday, when his plane came in on Friday?

Yes, they just need to book the DME arrival for Sunday. They can just let them know about what time they expect to be at MCO or give them a dummy airline flight that arrives about that time.

Then I'm wondering about luggage. Assume he's going to have to carry everything. (Obviously, DME can't intercept it. He's going to be using it, for two days.) Will he and his family have to carry all their luggage, on the bus?

Yes, they will have to take their luggage with them through the airport and on to the bus. The driver will place the luggage under the bus. They may be able to get a cart at the airport to help, but I am not certain.

Then he and his family are going to arrive, carrying all their luggage, to check in. How to get luggage to the cabin?

Then, at least one person has to go to get at least one golf cart. (And, if they wind up with two golf carts, they either need to both go, or make two trips.)

They can carry it all to check in or one person can check in and the rest can stay outside with the luggage. I know that they have CMs that will take the luggage and guests to their room if they arrive without a car as I have seen them do so.

Since they have a cart, or two, reserved one or two can walk over and see if the 6 person cart is available. If so, then they could use that to get people and/or luggage to the cabin.

--------
Is this just gonna be way too complicated to go through, as everybody's memory of arriving at the most Magical Place on Earth?

Or am I just imagining things being more complicated than they really are?

Oh, and a second question: Any idea what the hours are, when you can pick up a golf cart?

It could be complicated, but it might be simpler if his wife and family take the car and luggage to FW and see about checking in earlier in the day. Then, if their cabin is ready, they can drive to the cabin and drop the luggage off. If not, they can see if they could leave the luggage to have it delivered once their cabin is ready. Then all, or some, of them could drive back to pick up Mike and take the car back to MCO and only those people have to take DME back to FW.

I will say that if he is not done with his conference until 5 pm on Sunday, that getting to MCO and then back to FW might be time consuming unless his conference is closer to MCO. Once he is at MCO and drops the car, he will have to wait for a DME bus and then it may or may not make stops before getting to FW.

We are thinking we might show up to the campgrounds a little early (before the 6:15 show of HDDR). Is there much to see or do around Pioneer Hall if we did this?

Yes! There is a lot to do...a playground right outside, Crocket's Tavern, Tri-circle D horse barn where they keep all the Disney horses, pony rides, and a shop by the marina. Have fun!

Anybody know what the hours are, to pick up a golf cart? I've found that the phone number to reserve them only works 9-5. But I certainly assume you can pick them up, later.

I've always seen the Golf Carts at the Outpost and have always picked mine up there when I checked in. One time that was at 7 PM.

We are thinking we might show up to the campgrounds a little early (before the 6:15 show of HDDR). Is there much to see or do around Pioneer Hall if we did this?
There is tons to do at FW!!! DH and I take several trips over each time we are down just to walk around and enjoy the ambiance. Definitely makes sure to visit Tri Circle D Farms!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter