Disney's CONTEMPORARY RESORT Information & Questions

Guests can't use the luggage carts. You can either schlep your belongings yourself or use Bell Services. The customary tip is $1 - $2 per bag. Are you driving or using DME? Are your groceries being delivered?
Thank you for the prompt reply. We are driving. I will be doing my own grocery shopping. Do you have a recommendation on a close and easy to get to (not always the same thing) grocery store?

Not good changes at Contempo Cafe. I think we will skip for breakfast when we go.
I was quite surprised by this new process when we were there over the weekend. Luckily we were eating at an off time - I can only imagine what a disaster this is during peak periods. I wonder why the change?

Also, as others have reported, no yellow Mickey pillows in our room - and we didn't have the Mickey shower curtain, either. Didn't bother us one bit though, still love CR and the convenience can't be beat....especially with all the monorail issues. It was down both times we walked out of MK, so we just walked :)

I was sad to see that they've moved to the larger toiletries - much harder to bring a few home when they aren't refilling daily!!

What a bummer about the kiosks. I was hoping for a quick option for breakfast. Oh well. We're in the GW anyway, so we can either eat in our room or grab something in the parks.

Do you think that the monorail backup was due to the work being done? Just wondering if it will be better by the end of October, or if we should keep our rental car. The 2 year old will likely not do well with waiting that long :(

What a bummer about the kiosks. I was hoping for a quick option for breakfast. Oh well. We're in the GW anyway, so we can either eat in our room or grab something in the parks.

Do you think that the monorail backup was due to the work being done? Just wondering if it will be better by the end of October, or if we should keep our rental car. The 2 year old will likely not do well with waiting that long :(
Monorail issues were not due to work, as there were definitely periods of time it was working...just not when we needed it! Lol! It is running in a modified schedule, though, and I'm not sure how long that's expected to continue. Most sites that track ride refurbs have been keeping the operating schedule updated, so I'd check on that closer to your trip. It's primarily reduced morning hours

Thanks for your review, Scott. I'm sorry you didn't care for the CR, but glad you tried it....now you know it's not a resort for you. We like trying different resorts and while we have enjoyed all of them so far, we do have a few that are absolute favorites that would be chosen over others. Hope your BC stay was magical :wizard:.

Our BC stay could not have been more magical! Thanks!

Hi Scott...
Sorry to hear that you weren't wowed by CR and totally understand the feeling of just wanting out - that was us at the Poly and I highly doubt we'll ever return there either.

Interestingly, despite the construction, we kinda fell for the Polynesian. We are torn in fact as next summer will be our 10th anniversary, and we want to spend it at WDW. I'm aching to try the Poly, but whereas it's a big anniversary, I hate to try something new this time. I might feel more comfy on the YC/BC side of things where I KNOW we'll be happy.

It seems a lot got in the way of you being able to like CR. You weren't feeling it for CR and you know you love BC so you were a good sport to try it out, but sticking with a favorite has its advantages;). Thanks for posting about your stay.

In hindsight, the CR stay really wasn't that bad. It just didn't blow us away like other resorts have in the past. I think if we were to ever stay again, we'd spring for tower with a MK view...and probably only for a night or 2. We're fans of "Bonus Nights" (2 at most) at non Epcot resorts...followed by 6 nights at a tried & true BC/YC/BWI. I am glad we stuck it out this time though. It's record-breaking heat where I am today (North of Boston), and I miss CR air-conditioning!
P.S. So glad you were so pleasantly surprised by GF. After the 3 Epcot resorts...GF is our favorite. They've pampered us both times we've stayed!

We used to love the monorail, but it's gotten really unreliable and super crowded over the last couple of years. Lines during peak hours, morning and evening, were very long from all the resorts. We often had to wait for a second monorail to arrive before we could get on (from all the monorail resorts and MK). Some monorail cars were taken out of commission due to AC problems and at least one car at the MK was left empty so that it would arrive at CR and guests could board there. I've never seen them do that before.

We noticed that most of the guests were getting off at the MK and then the TTC where they would board trams so our assumption was that the vast majority of these guests weren't monorail resort guests or possibly even onsite guests. It would be much better if there were some monorails that didn't stop at the TTC and would be great if all the monorail resorts had an Epcot bus option. I think many are confused and just get on any monorail since they all stop at the TTC and they prefer it over the ferry.

This was the line one evening that went down to the escalator area:
View attachment 122021
We had no monorail problems at all during our BLT stay during the Fourth of July. I wonder if your stay was even more peak than our time? Or if they had some monorails out of service when you were there, and they had all the cars running when we were there because of the holiday? Does not sound fun at all.

I'm glad Cali Grill worked well for you this trip! We liked our meal there during our trip as well, just still not as much as the other sigs we went to that trip (YS, Narcoos, Citricos). The Tuna Four Ways was definitely the best (and biggest!) appetizer of the trip for me.

Maybe also the weather worked both ways. Just like you couldn't get to Tokyo Dining, maybe they had no shows for their ADRs, which helped make them more accommodating :)

I was quite surprised by this new process when we were there over the weekend. Luckily we were eating at an off time - I can only imagine what a disaster this is during peak periods. I wonder why the change?

Also, as others have reported, no yellow Mickey pillows in our room - and we didn't have the Mickey shower curtain, either. Didn't bother us one bit though, still love CR and the convenience can't be beat....especially with all the monorail issues. It was down both times we walked out of MK, so we just walked :)

I was sad to see that they've moved to the larger toiletries - much harder to bring a few home when they aren't refilling daily!!

We stayed at a hotel in Key West earlier this year with large bottles of stuff and a sign that it would cost you $20 if you took it. I took some empty 3 oz travel bottles full of hand lotion home. Left the big bottle though.

What larger size?

First CL stay we had at GF, we got larger bottles of the green sea marine shampoo.. The next year, they went to the small size.
poly CL had the small grapefruit bottles when we were there in July..

I have a little bit of an odd question regarding what side of the room the beds are on in the garden wing.
We have stayed in the tower and know the orientation of the rooms on both sides by the "odd and even" room number, but I am not sure about the garden wing.
We will be staying in the garden wing standard view next month and I am trying to figure out if I should request a odd number room like we would in the tower.

This has nothing to do with the view.. it has to do with which side of the room the beds are on when you walk into the room.
Does anyone that has stayed in the garden wing know if they had a odd or even room number and which side of the room the beds were on.

We are basically looking for the rooms "odd or even" that have the beds and bathroom on the left side when you walk into the room like the odd number rooms in the tower.
It is an OCD/Anxiety issue for a family member..

Thanks!!

What larger size?

First CL stay we had at GF, we got larger bottles of the green sea marine shampoo.. The next year, they went to the small size.
poly CL had the small grapefruit bottles when we were there in July..
We had the larger sea marine bottles this go around. I've only ever had the mini grapefruit ones before (at CR as well as Poly and YC). This was the first time I'd seen the "bigger" travel size bottles.

Starting to get super-excited about our BLT trip coming up Oct 23-26! We have a 1-bedroom lake view, and this is our first stay at CR or BLT. We're doing a split stay, with the second half of our trip at BCV.

Our plane arrives at almost 5pm, so I am figuring we won't be settled in until 7:30 or so (to be on the safe side...we are using ME). We have a 2-year old, and I am sure we will all be hungry. I was just thinking QS (so I don't have any ADRs), but after reading about the recent changes to Contempo Cafe, I'm not so sure. Opinions on where to grab dinner when we'll be tired/hungry/cranky?

We had the larger sea marine bottles this go around. I've only ever had the mini grapefruit ones before (at CR as well as Poly and YC). This was the first time I'd seen the "bigger" travel size bottles.
Were you in a Suite?
We got them at the YC in the VP Suite. My Mousekeeper brought me some at BC last stay..it was awesome!

Thank you for the prompt reply. We are driving. I will be doing my own grocery shopping. Do you have a recommendation on a close and easy to get to (not always the same thing) grocery store?
You're welcome. I don't have a recommendation off-site and it would depend from where you're coming. The absolute closest location on-property, but not at a resort, is the HESS (converted to Speedway) across from the TTC.

Does anyone know if the Mini Market sells tea bags, it looks like it does, but not 100% sure...
Many thanks
Kev

They do have them at Fantasia:
img_3066-jpg.110764

img_3062-jpg.110761

Do we know if there will be trick-or-treating at the resort this year? I saw that they did it last year.

I'm betting they will. I think it's an annual event.

We had no monorail problems at all during our BLT stay during the Fourth of July. I wonder if your stay was even more peak than our time? Or if they had some monorails out of service when you were there, and they had all the cars running when we were there because of the holiday? Does not sound fun at all.

I'm glad Cali Grill worked well for you this trip! We liked our meal there during our trip as well, just still not as much as the other sigs we went to that trip (YS, Narcoos, Citricos). The Tuna Four Ways was definitely the best (and biggest!) appetizer of the trip for me.

Maybe also the weather worked both ways. Just like you couldn't get to Tokyo Dining, maybe they had no shows for their ADRs, which helped make them more accommodating :)

We tried Narcoossees and Citricos (reviews are in the GF thread) and were disappointed. YS is still a favorite! But, Dale renewed our lost faith in CG, but there's no guarantee we'd get him as a server again:scratchin

As far as the monorail, we took it daily for 10 days from all the monorail resorts and except for a couple of off-peak rides, around lunch time, it was always super crowded and there seemed to be fewer running. It used to be that the end of August wasn't a peak time, but boy, it seems it's always peak time nowadays. When DD starts college, I'm eager to try WDW at a truly off-peak time again, if that exists anymore:confused3

Question to everyone: What has been the most "off-peak" time you've ever visited and what year? I recall in '98 going at the beginning of May and I think it was a ghost town. It was also uncrowded in early December and early January back in the early 00's, but I know that's not true anymore. We then started going at the end of August and after FD started, it started getting crowded. We've found holidays to be very crowded in the parks, but the resorts aren't always very crowded and the weather is just gorgeous at Christmas and spring break..but those prices and additional overcharges:sad2:

I have a little bit of an odd question regarding what side of the room the beds are on in the garden wing.
We have stayed in the tower and know the orientation of the rooms on both sides by the "odd and even" room number, but I am not sure about the garden wing.
We will be staying in the garden wing standard view next month and I am trying to figure out if I should request a odd number room like we would in the tower.

This has nothing to do with the view.. it has to do with which side of the room the beds are on when you walk into the room.
Does anyone that has stayed in the garden wing know if they had a odd or even room number and which side of the room the beds were on.

We are basically looking for the rooms "odd or even" that have the beds and bathroom on the left side when you walk into the room like the odd number rooms in the tower.
It is an OCD/Anxiety issue for a family member..

Thanks!!

Great question to which I have no answer, but someone surely does. Here are the GW SV rooms you're talking about:
image-jpg.120425

Starting to get super-excited about our BLT trip coming up Oct 23-26! We have a 1-bedroom lake view, and this is our first stay at CR or BLT. We're doing a split stay, with the second half of our trip at BCV.

Our plane arrives at almost 5pm, so I am figuring we won't be settled in until 7:30 or so (to be on the safe side...we are using ME). We have a 2-year old, and I am sure we will all be hungry. I was just thinking QS (so I don't have any ADRs), but after reading about the recent changes to Contempo Cafe, I'm not so sure. Opinions on where to grab dinner when we'll be tired/hungry/cranky?
I'd stop in at The Wave. You probably wouldn't even need an ADR and it will be pretty quiet and relaxing. There's a lot of stimuli on the 4th floor and standing in a QS line after a long trip with an infant can be grueling. I would just drop in at The Wave right after you check-in and ask if you can be seated after you drop your things off in your room and freshen up a bit. If they think you'll have to wait a long time, then there's always room service or the option of one adult going to CC and taking the food "to-go" back to your room. Or one of you could go up to the 4th floor while one of you is checking-in and see what the line is like before you commit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter