Disney's CONTEMPORARY RESORT Information & Questions

Handicapped Accessible! It is our first stay at BLT and from what I can tell (from the wonderful thread with views, spreadsheets and descriptions :goodvibes ) there are just a few of them and they all seem to be located in about the same place on every floor. We chose high floor as our only request.

Thank you! That never occurred to me. We have a studio too, and I could not remember any option other than the views when making the reservation. This will be our 3rd stay at BLT. We have been 'inside the C' and 'outside the C', and both views were very nice. I hope you have a great stay![/QUOTE]

I returned this week after a wonderful 10 nights with DD at Poly/GF. We made several stops at CR, including meals at The Wave, Contempo Cafe and even CA Grill, which I didn't think I'd ever be eating at again! (Never say never at WDW;)) More on that later, but for now, I have some serious multi-quoting to do and then I'll post more photos:)

Fantastic picture KOOK. thanks for posting.
You're welcome. I took that particular photo of CR/BLT whilst (threw that in just for you;)) on the jogging path from GF to Poly.

Awesome pic, thanks for sharing :flower3:.

Glad you enjoyed it:)

Wonderful view of our favorite resort, thanks for making me smile on a rainy day in Maine! 3 weeks from yesterday for my triumphant return though!

Your trip is so much closer now! Hope the rain has stopped by now;)

I've read that you can see the Epcot fireworks if you have a tower room, facing Bay Lake. Can you also see Epcot fireworks from the beach or boat dock?

With all the BLV Tower rooms we've had, if you look to the right you can see it from your balcony. But, we've always been in high rooms. I don't think the view would be optimal at ground level with so many trees over at FW, but you may be able to see it just fine from the beach area, but I've never been out there at that time.

Ok CR fans, we will be at CR this December. We were WL refugees ha ha! Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but, I just can't get super excited about staying there. We have been to Poly, BLT, BCV, BWV, BWI, and VWL. Each had its' pros and cons. Proximity to MK is really the only upside to me. Am I wrong, or missing something that keeps the crowds coming? The will be my DH, DS9, and myself. DH is really excited but, I am just not this time around. I wanted theming and CR is just plain stark to me?

Get SUPER excited! Yes, every resort has pros and cons and @maryandtyson did a great job of posting about CR's cons. It's so nice having just about everything (except the laundry if you're staying in the Tower) under one roof. And, it's so easy to hop on the monorail and eat or explore at Poly and GF or boat to FW and WL.

Wow, no one? Gee, Kmorlock, I don't know because we have not stayed there yet. But, as a fellow WL fan, I'll tell you what I'm looking forward to.

1. It's an original Disney icon.
2. Eating at The Wave and Contempo Cafe.
3. Watching Wishes from the 4th floor balcony.
4. Views of Bay Lake.
5. Watching the monorail zoom by.
6. Massive rooms.
7. The beautiful Mary Blair mural.
And, of course, as you mentioned, walking to MK.

We also plan to take the boat to Fort Wilderness for Trails End. Never done it before.

I hope you enjoy your stay!

We love eating at TE. Their breakfast buffet is tasty, especially the Pulled BBQ Pork Eggs Benedict and our favorite seater/greeter, Josephine, is such a HOOT!

Just booked tower room theme park view for 4/27/16-5/3/16!!!! So excited!!!

Congratulations and I'll add your dates to the Log-o-Rail:)

Hello all..
We are back from our trip which included stays at the CR and BC.

We arrived at CR on 8/14 and our room (GW SV) was not ready, so we headed to the Poly to have a quick lunch. Well, on this lunch, we were enchanted by the Poly, and wish we'd kept our reservation there regardless of the construction. Over lunch, we got buzzed that our room was ready. We actually got a kick out of the view, being able to see the monorail go by, but we were not enchanted with the room, to put it mildly.

First off, the hallways in the GW are claustrophobic. They are narrow, and the ceilings are low. DP is 6'4 and was uncomfortable. Secondly, the hallways in the GW needed vacuuming desperately. They were gross. We got to the room and it is lovely. It is appointed beautifully. But where was Mickey? As I feared, those cute yellow pillows are gone, leaving the room feeling bland and looking wildly unfinished. In addition, when you have beautiful dark wood furniture, you need to dust it well...and it wasn't I could have written my name in the headboard. Now, I'm sure you'll find dust at any resort, but the furniture here showed dust like woah. The desk chair was broken, as it almost collapsed when I sat on it. Also...no alarm clock. What? Yeah...no alarm clock. Weird. We thought the bathroom was great...until our last night. More on that later.

So, we looked at each other, and agreed we weren't feeling it. We went to the front desk and were brutally honest, saying that "We're just not happy." We were introduced to a wonderful manager named Mario, who worked with us for about 45 minutes. We asked to just go right to BC, where we knew we'd be happy, and where we were due to head in 5 days anyway. Mario called BC and YC....no availability. He called the Poly...no availability. He called the GF...no availability. We had no interest in the lodges, and asked about BWI..and he said that they never have availability because they're so small. So, he poked around in the CR computer, muttering that he had no real availability either. I stressed that I wasn't looking for a better view or an upgrade within the CR, we just weren't that happy with the resort, but apparently, it was our only option.

After poking and poking, Mario told us that of our 5 nights at the CR, if we could stick it out for 2 nights in the GW room he'd move us to the tower with a Bay Lake view for our last 3 nights. It wasn't really what we wanted, but we took it to experience the tower.

We got to that room, and guess what? We still weren't in love. The view was lovely, but to be honest, we kinda missed watching the monorail slide by. And this room was still very dusty, and we found an open DVC welcome packet, and crayons on the desk, the hairdryer plugged in on the desk, and ponchos hanging in the closet. Obviously the room wasn't completely cleaned before we got there, but we were glad to be at Disney, grateful for Mario's help, and glad to be able to say that we tried the CR. On our last night, whenever we turned on the faucet in the left sink in our bathroom, sewage would back up into the sink on the right..which we didn't notice until our toiletry bags and all the items inside were thoroughly soaked. We called the front desk, and their reply was that wasn't that awful....and they'll send someone up in the morning after we check out.
Ooook.

I don't want this all to be negative. We loved the room size, the beds were very comfy, and the AC was amazing! We actually missed CR AC once we got to the BC. On our last night, we finally noticed an etching of Mickey in the shower curtain, but we would have liked to see a bit more in the room. The room itself was really nice, but nothing you couldn't get at a Sheraton or Marriott, and we were looking for a bit more theming at WDW.

We're glad to say we've stayed at CR, and glad to "check it off our list," but we likely won't be back.
We've learned that when we stray from the Epcot resort loop (BWI, YC, BC), we're just not happy. We've had lovely stays at the GF, and would love to try the Poly, and will do a "Bonus Night," or 2 there in the future, but our hearts are really at the Epcot loop.

Thanks for being a great thread, and being helpful with the questions I had when planning this trip!

I'll be glad to answer any questions.

It seems a lot got in the way of you being able to like CR. You weren't feeling it for CR and you know you love BC so you were a good sport to try it out, but sticking with a favorite has its advantages;). Thanks for posting about your stay.

Just booked CR CL for our annual late winter trip.. Haven't stayed at CR since my 18yo was little.

Does the CR have a hot tub? I didn't see pictures

Welcome back to CR!

As was posted earlier, there are two hot tubs...One hot tub is "in" the pool, pictured here:
IMG_3046.JPG

And, the other is to the left of the slide and pool, pictured here:
IMG_3045.JPG

Just back from our first stay at this resort Aug 18-27th.

I have to say, we loved it!! We arrived at 4:20pm and our room was not ready. What??!? We are pretty patient, but this was unexpected, yet I kept my cool. :) . The CM was very nice, and got housekeeping on the phone to see what the holdup was. It took her about 30 minutes to get an answer. She asked us every question imaginable just to keep us engaged while she was on hold. You could tell she was trying hard to keep us happy. She ended up upgrading us from a GW standard view to a GW garden view, with patio, room 5110. It was an awesome location, we could see the lake and we were steps from the pool. Then she gave us 3 FP for our wait. We got to choose the park and day. They worked out great, and it was unexpected.

I was surprised to read in a previous post that the hallways were dirty, we found them to be spotless. There were many times when we left the room in the am and someone was vacuuming. Our room was fine too. There may have been some dust, I'm sure there was, but nothing that really stuck out as ewww. We did have to ask for restock of toiletries, since we actually use them and we were running out. The only thing we didn't like about the resort was the pool. It was OK, but we much prefer the GF pool. My kids (11&13) like the GF pool better than the famous stormalong bay. We do prefer the MK area over the Epcot area, so that could play a part in our preferences. We loved the decor, we didn't miss Mickey in our room, Stacey was enough :rotfl: The beds were comfortable, more so than YC and GF. That's something I was concerned about. Any questions?

Thank you for posting about your stay in the GW. It was nice you were upgraded, but it was pretty late before you could get into your room. I hope you get to book another stay soon.

We check in on 9/7 at BLT. This is a 20th wedding anniv trip with NO KIDS :yay:Very excited!! This will be our 3rd stay at BLT. Normally, we do have our kids so we stay in a villa with full kitchen. This time we are just in a studio. I'm wondering about food availability from the CR store. I need some kind of quick protein to start my day. I normally eat Greek yogurt or an egg. Does anyone know if the store carries hard-boiled eggs or yogurt? I know they have raw eggs but I do not think I will have any way of cooking them in the studio. TIA!

The Contempo Cafe fridge has all those items so no worries:

IMG_2966.jpg

Thank you so much!!! I am terribly excited and nervous all at the same time. We've not been completely kid-free for even a night in 13 years :rolleyes: ANd our kids are pretty unhappy with us that we are going to Disney without them.
I can only imagine how you feel, a lot of mixed emotions. I haven't been away either even for one night without DD16, though DH has been away for work many times. She's a senior now so I know the adult's-only and solo trip is coming up soon for me. I'm excited like you, but it will feel strange - at first. But, as @dansdad reassured you, we'll get over it fast;)

Can you watch wishes fireworks from the beach?
You can, but BLT does obstruct the view. The best spot is the 4th floor viewing area or CA Grill if you dine there or the BLT TotW lounge if you're a DVC member:

IMG_2988.jpg

Last edited:
Kook,
Thanks for the pictures. Can you get a drink at the CA grill bar without a dining reservation?

Thanks for all you do!

Kook,
Thanks for the pictures. Can you get a drink at the CA grill bar without a dining reservation?

Thanks for all you do!
Your question segues nicely to my explaining how we ended up at CA Grill when I thought we'd never dine there again…

We had an ADR for one of our favorite Epcot restaurants, Tokyo Dining. We were staying at GF so we could only take the monorail to Epcot. Due to the lightning and heavy rains, we couldn't walk to the TTC. We arrived at the GF monorail station with over an hour until our ADR. Normally that's plenty of time to get there and check-in from the monorail resorts. Well, the monorail took about 20 mins to arrive and it was completely full so we had to wait for the next one, which took another 20 mins. By this time I knew we wouldn't make it to Epcot in time and the lightning was really bad and it wasn't even safe to be outside. We got on the second monorail that arrived and I made the decision to try and cancel TD. I told DD we'd get off at CR and eat there instead. I called to cancel from the very crowded monorail and the CM was very understanding and canceled without penalty which was greatly appreciated.

I knew that you could go up to CA Grill without an ADR if there was seating available in the bar area, but we had never done that before. I asked at the CAG check-in line and they told us to go up and have a seat in the bar area or wait for a seat. We got up to the 15th floor and the bar area was completely full. Next to the bar area is the sushi bar area where no one at all was seated. I assumed this was the bar area, too and proceeded to sit down. DD got very nervous because she felt we weren't in the right area, and as it turns out, her teenage instinct of always feeling a bit out of place was spot on! About 5 minutes later, the nicest manager, Bill, came by with water. I explained I thought this was the bar area and he immediately made us feel welcome and explained that the sushi bar is for guests with reservations, but he would be happy to have us seated there and a server would be with us shortly. He epitomized the phrase "the guest is always right." He made us feel welcome and appreciated as guests, even though we were seated in the wrong area, then he kindly asked for my last name since we weren't checked-in or had an ADR:rolleyes1

Dale, our server, came by and also saved the day. My DD who was hanging her head in shame because mom dragged her to the "wrong" seating area, was smiling after Dale arrived and put us all at ease. Dale was one of the best servers we've had at CA Grill. We've eaten many times over the years and many years ago the servers were more like Dale. Over the past couple of years, they've not been as friendly and adept. It turned out that Dale has been working there 20 years and it showed. He was easy-going, warm and friendly. We will definitely return to CAG. This experience negated all our other negative experiences and, we'll be sure to ask for Dale next time.

So to answer your question, yes, you can ask if you can dine in the bar area. You can order all the same items in the bar area as you could with an ADR. There is even an area behind the bar with sofas and tables, like a waiting area, where we saw guests casually dining.

This photo is from Christmas Day '13. The tables in the middle have been removed. The sushi bar is in the background/left (where no one is seated:rolleyes1):
IMG_1405.JPG

Sashimi:
IMG_0707.JPG

My filet - it was perfect!
IMG_0709.JPG

DD's Gnocchi:
IMG_0708.JPG

Plum Tart:
IMG_0711.JPG

DD's Lime Cheesecake:
IMG_0712.JPG

IMG_2993.JPG

Last edited:

Your question segues nicely to my explaining how we ended up at CA Grill when I thought we'd never dine there again…

We had an ADR for one of our favorite Epcot restaurants, Tokyo Dining. We were staying at GF so we could only take the monorail to Epcot. Due to the lightning and heavy rains, we couldn't walk to the TTC. We arrived at the GF monorail station with over an hour until our ADR. Normally that's plenty of time to get there and check-in from the monorail resorts. Well, the monorail took about 20 mins to arrive and it was completely full so we had to wait for the next one, which took another 20 mins. By this time I knew we wouldn't make it to Epcot in time and the lightning was really bad and it wasn't even safe to be outside. We got on the second monorail that arrived and I made the decision to try and cancel TD. I told DD we'd get off at CR and eat there instead. I called to cancel from the very crowded monorail and the CM was very understanding and canceled without penalty which was greatly appreciated.

I knew that you could go up to CA Grill without an ADR if there was seating available in the bar area, but we had never done that before. I asked at the CAG check-in line and they told us to go up and have a seat in the bar area or wait for a seat. We got up to the 15th floor and the bar area was completely full. Next to the bar area is the sushi bar area where no one at all was seated. I assumed this was the bar area, too and proceeded to sit down. DD got very nervous because she felt we weren't in the right area, and as it turns out, her teenage instinct of always feeling a bit out of place was spot on! About 5 minutes later, the nicest manager, Bill, came by with water. I explained I thought this was the bar area and he immediately made us feel welcome and explained that the sushi bar is for guests with reservations, but he would be happy to have us seated there and a server would be with us shortly. He epitomized the phrase "the guest is always right." He made us feel welcome and appreciated as guests, even though we were seated in the wrong area, then he kindly asked for my last name since we weren't checked-in or had an ADR:rolleyes1

Dale, our server, came by and also saved the day. My DD who was hanging her head in shame because mom dragged her to the "wrong" seating area, was smiling after Dale arrived and put us all at ease. Dale was one of the best servers we've had at CA Grill. We've eaten many times over the years and many years ago the servers were more like Dale. Over the past couple of years, they've not been as friendly and adept. It turned out that Dale has been working there 20 years and it showed. He was easy-going, warm and friendly. We will definitely return to CAG. This experience negated all our other negative experiences and, we'll be sure to ask for Dale next time.

So to answer your question, yes, you can ask if you can dine in the bar area. You can order all the same items in the bar area as you could with an ADR. There is even an area behind the bar with sofas and tables, like a waiting area, where we saw guests casually dining.

This photo is from Christmas Day '13. The tables in the middle have been removed. The sushi bar is in the background/left (where no one is seated:rolleyes1):
View attachment 121655

Sashimi:
View attachment 121656

My filet - it was perfect!
View attachment 121657

DD's Gnocchi:
View attachment 121658

Plum Tart:
View attachment 121659

DD's Lime Cheesecake:
View attachment 121661

View attachment 121670
We have had more bad experiences at CG than good, unfortunately. But the couple of times we had the good ones, Dale was our server! He is wonderful, and I agree that this is the type of CM Disney really needs to cultivate. :goodvibes

Always a bit gun shy to try CG. One day soon. our last few trips have been a more relaxed dress code.

Wow, no one? Gee, Kmorlock, I don't know because we have not stayed there yet. But, as a fellow WL fan, I'll tell you what I'm looking forward to.

1. It's an original Disney icon.
2. Eating at The Wave and Contempo Cafe.
3. Watching Wishes from the 4th floor balcony.
4. Views of Bay Lake.
5. Watching the monorail zoom by.
6. Massive rooms.
7. The beautiful Mary Blair mural.
And, of course, as you mentioned, walking to MK.

We also plan to take the boat to Fort Wilderness for Trails End. Never done it before.

I hope you enjoy your stay!
I was WL fan until we stayed at Contemporary last week and now my new favourite resort CR. After last week vacation my kids have already put in their request to stay at CR again next time, my son thinks we should there on every trip to WDW

I returned this week after a wonderful 10 nights with DD at Poly/GF. We made several stops at CR, including meals at The Wave, Contempo Cafe and even CA Grill, which I didn't think I'd ever be eating at again! (Never say never at WDW;))

Glad you enjoyed it:)

Glad you had a great time at the Poly/GF, as well as your visits to the CR :goodvibes.

I always enjoy your pics :goodvibes.

Glad you decided to try CG again and had a great experience this time :). CG is always on my list for ADRs, but I have yet to follow through on booking it. With that said, after your review, I may just add it to the list next time and keep it ;).

Last edited:
We have had more bad experiences at CG than good, unfortunately. But the couple of times we had the good ones, Dale was our server! He is wonderful, and I agree that this is the type of CM Disney really needs to cultivate. :goodvibes

Your experience with CG sounds very similar to ours.

Always a bit gun shy to try CG. One day soon. our last few trips have been a more relaxed dress code.
I wouldn't worry about that - Disney should, but you shouldn't. The "dress code" is so lax at the TS and Signature Dining locations. As usual, we saw guests in suits, ties and dresses right next to guests in denim shorts, t-shirts and flip flops and everything in between. Even saw a woman at CG in blue jeans that were ripped/scored from thigh to ankle and there was even a family all dressed in pirate attire!

I was actually surprised this visit how many people we saw at the 3 Signature Dining locations we ate at who were dressed the exact same way you'd go to the parks - shorts, sneakers/flip flops and an untucked t-shirt. We think the DDP has led to more people eating at these locations and Disney has had to relax their standards to accommodate the increase. I wouldn't let what you're wearing (or not wearing) keep you from trying anything at WDW, expect maybe V&A;)

Thank you Kook! That is perfect!

You're welcome.

I was WL fan until we stayed at Contemporary last week and now my new favourite resort CR. After last week vacation my kids have already put in their request to stay at CR again next time, my son thinks we should there on every trip to WDW

Your DS has good taste. While the theming at WL is amazing, the rooms aren't in comparison with CR's. Hope you get to book your next stay at CR soon!

Glad you had a great time at the Poly/GF, as well as your visits to the CR :goodvibes.

I always enjoy your pics :goodvibes.

Glad you decided to try CG again and had a great experience this time :). CG is always on my list for ADRs, but I have yet to follow through on booking it. With that said, after your review, I may just add it to the list next time and keep it ;).

We really love the large Poly rooms and we had an amazing view and the exact room I requested, so no complaints there. But, the resort is VERY crowded feeling, pretty much everywhere, all the time. GF never felt crowded like Poly does. After only being able to take the monorail to MK or boat when it was running, we really missed the option of walking. This truly sets CR/BLT apart and makes a big difference to us.

We used to love the monorail, but it's gotten really unreliable and super crowded over the last couple of years. Lines during peak hours, morning and evening, were very long from all the resorts. We often had to wait for a second monorail to arrive before we could get on (from all the monorail resorts and MK). Some monorail cars were taken out of commission due to AC problems and at least one car at the MK was left empty so that it would arrive at CR and guests could board there. I've never seen them do that before.

We noticed that most of the guests were getting off at the MK and then the TTC where they would board trams so our assumption was that the vast majority of these guests weren't monorail resort guests or possibly even onsite guests. It would be much better if there were some monorails that didn't stop at the TTC and would be great if all the monorail resorts had an Epcot bus option. I think many are confused and just get on any monorail since they all stop at the TTC and they prefer it over the ferry.

This was the line one evening that went down to the escalator area:
IMG_0716.jpg

Last edited:
Are luggage carts available for guest to use? Besides suitcases, we will also be bringing groceries to our villa. If we must use Bell Services, will our belongings be brought up promptly? What is the suggested tip for maybe two luggage carts full of stuff? Thank you.

Are luggage carts available for guest to use? Besides suitcases, we will also be bringing groceries to our villa. If we must use Bell Services, will our belongings be brought up promptly? What is the suggested tip for maybe two luggage carts full of stuff? Thank you.
Guests can't use the luggage carts. You can either schlep your belongings yourself or use Bell Services. The customary tip is $1 - $2 per bag. Are you driving or using DME? Are your groceries being delivered?

Here are the rest of the CR photos I took last week:

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0680.JPG

IMG_0681.JPG

IMG_0714.jpg

Contempo Cafe changed their ordering policy about a week before we dined there. All kiosks have been removed and you now place your order at the cash register. This made for enormous lines, made worse by there only being one cashier the evening we dined. I finally found a manager, (he may have been hiding) and asked him if he could get another cashier, it was that bad. By the time he got one we had finally ordered. Then we sat down and waited for our meal. The entire process was at least 30 minutes. I can't even imagine what breakfast would be like.

The electronic menu board has also been discontinued. Guests either stand at the entrance where there are greeters with menus or they head to the cash register and make their decisions there. This made purchasing anything at all much worse since so many would get to the register and not know what they even wanted to order. The kiosks were a much better method, but they have now all been removed, at least from all Deluxe resort locations. DD wondered why they didn't have an entirely self-service option where you place your own order at the kiosk and pay using your MB or KTTW Card or you have the option of using a cashier.

The salads have changed, too. Gone are the salads with quinoa and other goodies. This was supposed to be the "Contempo Vegetable Salad - with feta, kalamata olives, chickpeas, fried tofu, quinoa, lemon vinaigrette, and a warm pita wedge $8.49." All the items were missing except a few tomatoes, a spoonful of chick peas, the pita and a few chunks of feta.

IMG_0735.JPG

Boston Cream Cupcake and Flourless Chocolate Cake:
IMG_0733.JPG

Caprese Flatbread:
IMG_0734.JPG

Last edited:
We really love the large Poly rooms and we had an amazing view and the exact room I requested, so no complaints there. But, the resort is VERY crowded feeling, pretty much everywhere, all the time. GF never felt crowded like Poly does. After only being able to take the monorail to MK or boat when it was running, we really missed the option of walking. This truly sets CR/BLT apart and makes a big difference to us.

I hear you about the Poly rooms......very large and spacious for sure! We are hoping to get back to Disney next summer for another Poly stay (possibly a split with the CR), but with all the changes, I'm worried that the resort will no longer have the same appeal that we're used to :(.

This was the line one evening that went down to the escalator area:
View attachment 122021

That's a lot of people waiting! :sad2:.

Thank you for sharing the Photos :)

Sad to see the Kiosks have gone as I liked this idea and was looking forward to using them, oh well xx

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter