• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so excited to hear this! We are staying at AKL in March and we have a standard view room. I wanted to do 1 of the views that had the bunks on it, but my hubby couldn't see paying the extra $1000 just to have bunks. Specially since under the standard view explanation it says you can have either 2 queens, bunks, or a king bed. My husband said for the difference in price he wanted to just chance the bunks and keep our fingers crossed that we get them. I already called to put it on our reservation that I want to request them and then I heard also that the new online check in now has it on there that you can request bunks so I am going to do that as well and I am also going to call 10 days before check in just to make sure its on my reservation...I also have to call 10 days before so they note that I am traveling with kids with allergies and they have to use the anti allergenic cleaning stuff for our rooms anyways. I am just glad to hear that this worked out for someone else. I am not one that likes to leave things up to fate/chance. Thats 1 way me and my hubby are different, lol...I would pay the extra money to be garenteed that we have the bunks, lol...my youngest would flip to see the giraffes outside his window, LOL...he LOVES giraffes I don't know if I could get him off the balcony if he saw that

As for room request, I used the TouringPlans room request service (subscription is $11 with the discount code... best investment ever for my trip). The service allowed me to pick a room that I want to have. I put room 3230 and 4230 on the subject line and I got room 4230, which is better than 3230 as for location. When I did the online check in on MDE, there was no option for bunk bed, only for room location (ie. which trial and distance to lobby/elevator, etc), so I just left it blank.... Hope it helps!!!

Is there a list somewhere of what animals are on each of the savannas? I feel like I read somewhere that the animals are different on each, and since I have no other preference for a room request, I figured I would request the savanna with the animals my daughter would most like to see. THANKS!

As for room request, I used the TouringPlans room request service (subscription is $11 with the discount code... best investment ever for my trip). The service allowed me to pick a room that I want to have. I put room 3230 and 4230 on the subject line and I got room 4230, which is better than 3230 as for location. When I did the online check in on MDE, there was no option for bunk bed, only for room location (ie. which trial and distance to lobby/elevator, etc), so I just left it blank.... Hope it helps!!!
Good for you. I have TPlans as well and plan on using it, whether I am at the AKL or the Beach Club.

Is there a list somewhere of what animals are on each of the savannas? I feel like I read somewhere that the animals are different on each, and since I have no other preference for a room request, I figured I would request the savanna with the animals my daughter would most like to see. THANKS!
This answer may be TMI, but you won't find an accurate list of the animals currently on individual savannas.
Years ago I seem to recall lists, however, any list you find will not be up to date for a couple of reasons. They move animals around from one savanna at the Lodge to another, from the Kilimanjaro safari ride at the park to the Lodge and they trade animals with other animal parks/zoos, so what I see one month may be different from what some one else sees several months later. Some examples:
On our visit in December they had just added a herd of some grazing animals to Uzima savanna (don't recall their name) because the herd had become a nuisance at the Kilimanjaro safari ride in the park.
A couple of years ago there was a stallion zebra on Sunset savanna which didn't work out (males can get pretty aggressive and this one ran into a tree chasing another zebra) however because AK/AKL is part of a zoo breeding program for that species of zebra they created a space on Pembe savanna for a stallion zebra to be joined by a female zebra as part of that breeding program. Prior to that there were no zebras on Pembe, now you may see the male, the male + a female, or occasionally a mother with a newborn baby zebra.
Sometimes individual animals/species don't play well together, thus the need to move groups or subgroups or individuals.
On one of our early visits to AKL there was a very striking Ankole steer who carried his head in an odd way, he started life on Kilimanjaro safari, but due to his health issues was moved to AKL - he has since passed and is no longer there. Many of the AKL animals are in the 'retirement' phase and thus may have fewer years remaining.
Gordon the giraffe started out on Kilimanjaro safari in the park. He got to be too interested in the safari trucks, so they moved him to the lodge and put him on Uzima savanna. He still liked the safari trucks and took to lurking by the exit gate waiting for them, so they moved him to the middle savanna - Arusha, presumably to prevent his following the truck out and getting loose :)
The 3 larger savannas - Sunset, Arusha and Uzima currently all have giraffes. Sunset for the last several years has had a herd of zebras and Arusha and Uzima usually have at least a pair of zebras. Sunset has had Ostriches & Maribu storks for awhile. Pembe savanna, which is only visible from Kidani, does not have giraffes but does have Okapi.
All the savannas have several additional animals & birds perhaps others have noted recent inhabitants.

Last edited:

Sunset has had Ostriches & Maribu storks for awhile. Pembe savanna, which is only visible from Kidani, does not have giraffes but does have Okapi.
All the savannas have several additional animals & birds perhaps others have noted recent inhabitants.

Thanks! My daughter is OBSESSED with birds. I wonder if I can request to be in a room where we'll be able to view the ostriches & storks? We have a savanna view room booked...it's just a matter of playing the odds to have our best chance to see birds out our window. :)

Is there any construction going on at Jambo house or will there be any during October?
I really hate staying at a hotel during construction. Also, when was the last time the rooms were redone?

I was very worried before our first stay at AKL Jambo. We were blown away when we went to our balcony and there was a giraffe. We bought DVC when we stayed at Kidani. Staying at Kidani again next month and we are thrilled.

And there it is Ladies & Gentleman, Another one bites the dust....:teeth:

J/K of course, but as magical as WDW resorts make you feel, AKV/L has a totally different vibe...Disneyesque, yes but it almost feels like your on a vacation from your vacation:confused3, if that makes any sense.

BTW....---->Disneyesque... Is this even a word?????:banana:

Thanks! My daughter is OBSESSED with birds. I wonder if I can request to be in a room where we'll be able to view the ostriches & storks? We have a savanna view room booked...it's just a matter of playing the odds to have our best chance to see birds out our window. :)
Check out lunch with an animal keeper at Sanaa, when we did it a couple of years ago it ended w/ the keepers feeding the Maribu storks, though others have reported interacting w/ the tortoise. Even if the special lunch is not in the budget or your daughter is too young maybe you could be at the outlook behind Kidani if they are still feeding them for the lunch group around 12:30ish?
I assume you already have flights of wonder at AK park in your agenda :)

we just came back from a 5 night stay at AKL Jambo house. We paid for a Standard view room, requested for a room with bunk bed. Got exactly what we wanted. Room number was 4230 on Kudu trail. Going to Mara is a bit of walk but I don't mind. The 4th floor location was quiet and away from the foot traffic. The room has a partial Savanna view (with the people pen). We could see various animals. My kids got excited to see giraffe at first but then lost the interest after the first day... :confused3 Sound-proofing was very good too. I could hardly hear any noises from the adjacent room, not even from people passing through my room... CMs at AKL were very friendly, especially CMs at the Mara. My mattress was very comfortable. My kids love the bunk bed.

The laundry room is clean. Laundry costs $3 for each wash and dryer costs $3 for each cycle. Laundry was 34 minutes and dryer was 60 minutes. The machines only took credit/debit. I have heard of a website that I could log in to monitor the machines. However I couldn't find one at AKL. Maybe I missed it.
AKL is a very beautiful and charming resort. HOWEVER, the sound of the drum at night (9pm) coming from Boma/Jiko area bothered me towards the end of the trip. The sound of the beating drum was the last thing that I want to hear at the end of the day upon walking into the front door of AKL.

About the in-wall safe, it could fit my 15" Macbook plus two iPads.

I tried the Zebra Domes for the first time and it would be my last time.

13902554_10208518018160752_5731162713289969089_n.jpg

This is the link..I actually have it as an APP on my phone.
http://www.laundryview.com/disneyworld/

Good for you. I have TPlans as well and plan on using it, whether I am at the AKL or the Beach Club.

I just joined Touring Plans! Thanks for the tip! I am so excited! Anyways I was wondering if anyone knows if there's like a master list somewhere that can tell me the room numbers of the standard view rooms that have bunk beds. That way I can concentrate on those rooms only when looking at the certain views on touring plans. I know some of the rooms have comments on them that say they had the bunks in them and they were awesome but there were only a few comments so it would be so much easier if I could just have a list of rooms, LOL. I am probably asking for the world, but I figured I would give it a try, lol

Check out lunch with an animal keeper at Sanaa, when we did it a couple of years ago it ended w/ the keepers feeding the Maribu storks, though others have reported interacting w/ the tortoise. Even if the special lunch is not in the budget or your daughter is too young maybe you could be at the outlook behind Kidani if they are still feeding them for the lunch group around 12:30ish?
I assume you already have flights of wonder at AK park in your agenda :)

YES! And I think our plan is to see it early enough in the day that we could catch it a second time if she wants. :) She's too young for some of the special animal experiences at AKL (she's 7) but she will seriously be happy to just sit and watch the birds. We knew we had to stay at AKL as soon as we read the phrase "flamingo pond" :)

I need advice from the AKL experts. I have two rooms booked (well, I've booked one, my sister the other). Both are one bedroom studios--one at Jambo, one at Kidani. Price is close to the same, but I'm thinking that we use the one at Kidani since it has 2 bathrooms and is a Savannah room (just booked it with the 20% discount Disney just released). Jambo is standard view, but then there's the advantage (?) of being closer to the main lobby decor/activities, and I think it has the better pool?

Would love advice on room requests too--I have a TP subscription so I'm off to check there.

Our stats: we're a party of 5, 2 adults (me and my sister) who don't mind sharing a king bed and then 3 tween girls who will sleep on the pull outs.

Last edited:
I need advice from the AKL experts. I have two rooms booked (well, I've booked one, my sister the other). Both are one bedroom studios--one at Jambo, one at Kidani. Price is close to the same, but I'm thinking that we use the one at Kidani since it has 2 bathrooms and is a Savannah room (just booked it with the 20% discount Disney just released). Jambo is standard view, but then there's the advantage (?) of being closer to the main lobby decor/activities, and I think it has the better pool?

Our stats: we're a party of 5, 2 adults (me and my sister) who don't mind sharing a king bed and then 3 tween girls who will sleep on the pull outs.

If I'm reading your post correctly, you're trying to decide which 1br villa to keep...Jambo or Kidani, correct?

In this situation, the only advantage of Jambo is being closer to the main lobby and the QS restaurant.

With 5 females in one room together, I'd go for Kidani. The two bathrooms are a difference-maker, and the 1br's there are noticeably larger than the 1br's at Jambo....about 85 sq ft larger.

Would love advice on room requests too--I have a TP subscription so I'm off to check there.

Oh, there's no doubt about it -- go with Kidani! You can still experience Jambo and Uzima pool as a Kidani guest. Trust us on this one! ;)

I've stayed at both....Albeit was a studio. But we were in the same dilemma in terms of WoW factor...We though we'd not enjoy it as much as Jambo when we stayed at Kidani, but it was a great stay indeed. True the Lobby Is so Grandiose ( at Jambo ) & the quick service Mara is a nice bonus, along with Jiko & Boma's...The Pool honestly is bigger & nice too, but the slide is lacking...The pool at Kidani is soo much more intimate(as is the resort) & the pool slide is awesome there.. As well as the water play area for the kids.

We are going to be in Jambo Savannah view Sept. 26-Oct 1.

What are the beds like? Comfy? Any complaints?
September

Grooovertoo, Aug 31st - 10th, Jambo House

Laneybelle, 1st - 5th, AKL

Publix subs, 15th - 19th, AKL

Dreamseeker9, 17th - 20th, AKL

Mm. Leota, 17th - 24th, AKL

BanditsMommy, 18th - 25th, AKL

berryinDC, 19th - 23rd, AKL

PNO4TE, 23rd - 26th, F&W BWV

Brnrss34, 24th - Oct 1st, AKL

YoYoAurora, 24th - Oct 1st, AKL CL

RachelTori, 24th - Oct 1st, GF and BWI

Nicolebridget22, 24th - 8th, AKL

Hill6, 26th - 28th, Kidani

MadMadamMim1, 26th - Oct 1st, Jambo House

AmyA, 28th - Oct 5th, AKL

They should be comfy as they just renovated all of the villas in Jambo. Also the carpet is so much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter