Disney's ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry to hear you feel that way, but I do agree that in some respects Disney has definitely let things slip. However, as a DVC owner for 11 years now, I want to assure you that we are not the priority!!! They already have our money!

I don't know how crowded the parks were during your visit, but this is their "slow season". During busier times, Kidani and Jambo often have dedicated buses.

May I suggest that you send an email to Disney? They do appreciate feedback, both positive and negative. :thumbsup2
Thanks and we plan to email customer service and let them know. We loved the resort, but it didn't help that today we were waiting by the FP kiosks in adventure land and saw a dead rat on the ground. My wife told a CM and it was still there 15 min later. Really looked forward to eating after that. I know if it was my house or work I would be appalled at that.

Ok...I never imagined I'd be interested in staying at a Deluxe, I've always been happy at Pop and ASMo in the past. We are planning a trip in April and will be celebrating our sons 13th birthday. On his last trip in November, he loved AK more than we would have ever imagined, so now my husband has suggested that maybe we should upgrade to AKL for the last two nights of our trip as a special surprise for DS. So, please help me.... I'm confused about all the options that there are and what I need to request or plan for. I know we are going to want to book Savannah view so we can see animals from our room, but what do I need to consider beyond that???? I don't really care too much about the type of bed in the room, but do I care about something else?? How do the distance from transportation, food, etc compare with the distances at Pop or the All Stars? Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

Just booked at AKL for June this year. It will be our first stay here! We've stayed at ASMo and ASMu and the Poly, as well as a few places off site. We had planned a split stay this year with Universal, but I just decided to drop that in favor of spending the $ to upgrade to AKL with the spring discount. I am SO EXCITED! I've had an interest in AKL for some years, but we have never even visited this resort. I have a 10 yo son who loves animals and biggest dream is to go to Africa. I am not sure I will ever be able to take him, but this is close, right? ;)

We're planning one down day for this trip and it looks like the AKL pool and activities will make for a very enjoyable, relaxing day!

You are in for a treat!!! W
Just booked at AKL for June this year. It will be our first stay here! We've stayed at ASMo and ASMu and the Poly, as well as a few places off site. We had planned a split stay this year with Universal, but I just decided to drop that in favor of spending the $ to upgrade to AKL with the spring discount. I am SO EXCITED! I've had an interest in AKL for some years, but we have never even visited this resort. I have a 10 yo son who loves animals and biggest dream is to go to Africa. I am not sure I will ever be able to take him, but this is close, right? ;)

We're planning one down day for this trip and it looks like the AKL pool and activities will make for a very enjoyable, relaxing day!
You will love it! We stayed there two years ago and my 14 year old son still talks about it. We stayed in a Savannah view 1 bedroom suite and the room was beautiful. The view from our balcony was fantastic! The pool is gorgeous and we had a great time. We absolutely loved it!

You are in for a treat!!! W

You will love it! We stayed there two years ago and my 14 year old son still talks about it. We stayed in a Savannah view 1 bedroom suite and the room was beautiful. The view from our balcony was fantastic! The pool is gorgeous and we had a great time. We absolutely loved it!

The food looks great, too! Just our style! At the time of our Poly stay we were obsessed with dining there and now I'm very excited about the AKL restaurants. I have Jiko booked so far, would like Sanaa, and am trying to decide if Boma will be too much like our Tusker House reservation. Even Mara looks good. I'm looking forward to that falafel pita and couscous by the pool!

Sorry I replied to the wrong message and I'm not sure how to delete it!

Regardless, Congrats!!!!! You are going to have a blast! We love AKL!

Ok...I never imagined I'd be interested in staying at a Deluxe, I've always been happy at Pop and ASMo in the past. We are planning a trip in April and will be celebrating our sons 13th birthday. On his last trip in November, he loved AK more than we would have ever imagined, so now my husband has suggested that maybe we should upgrade to AKL for the last two nights of our trip as a special surprise for DS. So, please help me.... I'm confused about all the options that there are and what I need to request or plan for. I know we are going to want to book Savannah view so we can see animals from our room, but what do I need to consider beyond that???? I don't really care too much about the type of bed in the room, but do I care about something else?? How do the distance from transportation, food, etc compare with the distances at Pop or the All Stars? Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

Awesome! You will love it! As far as transportation goes, you only share a stop with Kidani so it's practically direct. AKL to MK ~15-20 mins, AKL to AK ~ 5 mins, AKL to Epcot/HS ~ 10 mins

We are staying at AKL in March. This is our first stay at a deluxe resort. ( I am sure it will spoil us from staying at moderates ;) )
We are booked in a standard room. We tried Boma for breakfast on the last trip and it was awesome. I know dd 9 is going to love this resort.
MIL will also be joining us on this trip. She has been to Disney numerous times, but usually just for the day. This will be her first trip staying on property.

Hope she enjoys it as much as I know we are going too.

One question...- Are the buses crowded coming back at night or during the day in general? I feel like every resort I have ever stayed at, we have to stand.

We are staying at AKL in March. This is our first stay at a deluxe resort. ( I am sure it will spoil us from staying at moderates ;) )
We are booked in a standard room. We tried Boma for breakfast on the last trip and it was awesome. I know dd 9 is going to love this resort.
MIL will also be joining us on this trip. She has been to Disney numerous times, but usually just for the day. This will be her first trip staying on property.

Hope she enjoys it as much as I know we are going too.

One question...- Are the buses crowded coming back at night or during the day in general? I feel like every resort I have ever stayed at, we have to stand.
We just got back and the buses will be crowded at the end of the day. We came back early a few days and they weren't bad. Most of the time we were standing, I normally gave my seat up to a pregnant women or elderly. Remember with thus resort it is the furthest away from Magic Kingdom, it about a 20 min ride, add 5 min if you stop at kadani first.

The food looks great, too! Just our style! At the time of our Poly stay we were obsessed with dining there and now I'm very excited about the AKL restaurants. I have Jiko booked so far, would like Sanaa, and am trying to decide if Boma will be too much like our Tusker House reservation. Even Mara looks good. I'm looking forward to that falafel pita and couscous by the pool!

I wondered that too, about Tusker and Boma, at first. But they really are quite different. Some refer to Tusker as "Boma Lite", but to me it doesn't even compare. There are a few similar items, but it's pretty limited. We have done at least one meal at both on every trip.

We love all the AKL restaurants, each one has unique offerings. My favorites: Jiko--boar tenderloin appetizer and the Taste of Africa bread service; Boma--the bread pudding at breakfast and the seafood curry, guava panna cotta, and Kenyan coffee tarts at dinner (I just can't get into zebra domes, though. Weird.); Sanaa--the bread service, the salads, the curries..never had a thing there that I didn't like; Mara--love the Mara salad, and they will customize if there are ingredients you want more or less of.

We are headed to AKL!! I am very excited for our upcoming stay. We have stayed before in a pool view, savanna, and CL, however, this time we will be staying in a standard. Prices were just way too high for anything else (spring break :/). Any advice on what to expect with a standard room? Not too fond of bunk beds. Also, I know I shouldn't expect a pool or savannah view but is there any room requests I could make that would minimize the possibility of a Full on parking lot view? Of course I'll still enjoy the trip but no harm in trying for a pleasant view. Thanks!

We are headed to AKL!! I am very excited for our upcoming stay. We have stayed before in a pool view, savanna, and CL, however, this time we will be staying in a standard. Prices were just way too high for anything else (spring break :/). Any advice on what to expect with a standard room? Not too fond of bunk beds. Also, I know I shouldn't expect a pool or savannah view but is there any room requests I could make that would minimize the possibility of a Full on parking lot view? Of course I'll still enjoy the trip but no harm in trying for a pleasant view. Thanks!
I've been looking at the map on Touring Plans to find some good standard rooms :)

I put upper floor near lobby, hope I didn't make a mistake with the room request. We are staying in a standard room.

I put upper floor near lobby, hope I didn't make a mistake with the room request. We are staying in a standard room.
You will probably have a pool view or inside view, with a standard view you probably won't get a view of the animals. You can see lots on your way to your room, but the savanna view rooms are about $100 more a night.

You will probably have a pool view or inside view, with a standard view you probably won't get a view of the animals. You can see lots on your way to your room, but the savanna view rooms are about $100 more a night.
Thank you! I was okay with not having the savanna view. :) I have only been to the main lobby, ate at Boma. The resort looks quite large. Is there parking around the resort for your car? I read something about a parking garage.

I read in another thread that they are currently installing the bus wait time monitors at Jambo House. They have been at Kidani for a while. Can anyone confirm?

Thank you! I was okay with not having the savanna view. :) I have only been to the main lobby, ate at Boma. The resort looks quite large. Is there parking around the resort for your car? I read something about a parking garage.

Yes, there is parking and it's not far! The parking garage is at Kidani the dvc side.

Here is the latest list of everyone visiting in 2015 & 2016

If you have any updates please let me know…

January

Dwheaton, 14th - 18th, AKL

Ariane37, 15th - 18th, AKL

Snowitt, 18th - 22nd AKL

PatsGirl, 19th - 23rd, AKL

Marinejjh, 23rd - 29th, AKL

February

Abbey1, Jan 31st - 6th, AKL,

Rhetts1stWDW, 1st - 5th, AKL

Eeyoreandtink, 6th - 12th, Jambo House

Lustergirl, 5th – 8th, AKL

Bethan92, 16th - 18th, AKL

Luv2Run, 18th – 25th, AKL

Tmiller33, 12th - 20th, AKL

NKHarris329, 27th - Mar 3rd, AKL

March

Happymommy, 26th - Apr 2nd, AKL Kidani

MoominMamma, 26th - Apr 9th, AKL

Mmjones021, 28th - Apr 2nd, AKL

Kamcole, 30th - Apr 5th, AKL

April

Happymommy, Mar 26th - 2nd, AKL Kidani

MoominMamma, Mar 26th - 9th, AKL

Kamcole, Mar 30th - 5th, AKL

MrsHammer, 9th – 15th, AKL

TeeterTots, 17th - 23rd, AKL

Karlius, 26th - May 10th, AKL

MissyPooh5890, 27th - May 2nd, AKL

Mousemommy1, 29th - May 1st, AKL

Csmolu, 30th - May 8th, AKL CL

May

Karlius, Apr 26th - 10th, AKL

Hokieinpa, 1st - 8th, Jambo House

Sdsatl, 5th - 9th, Kidani

Hibiscus, 8th - 12th, AKL

Mster425, 7th - 16th, AKL

Rer1972, 15th - 17th, VB

Rer1972, 17th - 21st, AKL

Wishicouldgomoreofte, 27th - 31st, AKL

Pixie36, 30th -Jun 11th, Jambo House

June

Pixie36, May 30th - 11th, Jambo House

Brooke789, 2nd - 12th, AKL

huey578, 11th-18th, kidani

Ipuffyheartdisney, 11th - 18th, AKL Kidani

ZOOMAMA, 11th - 18th, AKL

Debelfish, 23rd - 30th, AKL

July

Weaves18, 10th - 16th, AKL

LvsTnk, 24th-29th, AKL

August

Willeve, 9th - 19th, AKL

September

October

PghPiratesGirl, Sep 29th - 6th, AKL

November

December

#1eeyogirl, 17th - 26th, AKL

We are joining the March group.
We will be there the 13th-17th. Our first deluxe stay. :)

Not sure what an 'inside' view at AKL is. Pool view is a separate bookable category at AKL Jambo which typically costs just a little more than standard view. Standard view non DVC rooms at Jambo will be on the 4th floor and lower. They will face out the front of the Lodge towards the road/parking lot on Ostrich or Giraffe trail or have limited savannah views, perhaps obstructed views overlooking the pool area as well. If you don't mind a bit of a walk to the pool and the QS Mara and would like one of the partial savannah or people pen views I'd opt for requesting Kudu trail at online check in as all Kudu trail rooms front either Sunset or Arusha savannah.

Yes, there is parking and it's not far! The parking garage is at Kidani the dvc side.
Kidani is about a 10-15 minute walk from Jambo (and a bit of an incline to walk) and there's parking for the DVC units there under the Kidani building. The parking for Jambo is in front of the Lodge (but cleverly landscaped so not an eyesore from the lodge) and it's an open single level parking lot. I'd be too lazy to park up at Kidani while staying at Jambo after a day of WDW park walking to add half an hour of walking to my day just to get to and from a car when the Jambo lot is right there in front of Jambo house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter