Disneyland for Grown Ups

kangamama

DIS Veteran
I'm going to DLR for dapper day in September with a friend and we are leaving our kids at home with our husbands. I've never been without my kids, and I'm wondering if there are any fun things to do that I might not have thought about doing previously because I was there with kids. Trader Sams is on the list already, of course.

kangamama said:
I'm going to DLR for dapper day in September with a friend and we are leaving our kids at home with our husbands. I've never been without my kids, and I'm wondering if there are any fun things to do that I might not have thought about doing previously because I was there with kids. Trader Sams is on the list already, of course.

When I finally get a grown ups Disney trip with DH or a friend the first thing I want to do is check out different places to eat! My kids are picky and we always eat where they are happiest. Trader Sam's, maybe browsing in the shops more than I normally would. Sitting and people watching with a cup of tea and a treat...ahhh sounds so nice!! Enjoy your trip!!

How about eating at one of the fine dining locations? I like Carthay Circle (in DCA), but I've also heard good things about Napa Rose.

Enjoy a nice glass of wine on the patio by WCT in DCA. Also, take your time to notice and appreciate the little things that you might have overlooked on previous trips. How about taking your time to enjoy some relaxing shopping in the parks and in DtD?

Shopping
Fine Dining
Late-night entertainment
Shows
People watching

Have fun! I'm jealous!

DH and I are finally taking an adults only trip in August! We can't wait to be able to see Aladdin again. DS just won't sit still. We're also looking forward to being able to sit & relax more and spend less time going from one ride to the next. Maybe going to Napa Rose for dinner one night.

I'd eat all the snacks I want including a Dole Whip for breakfast. All the things I'd do in moderation with the kids :rotfl2:

I'd eat all the snacks I want including a Dole Whip for breakfast. All the things I'd do in moderation with the kids :rotfl2:

Now you know why someone came up with "DO as I say... NOT as I do...":rotfl2::rotfl2:

I'm right there with you though! I like it when I can have dessert before the main course. Or more desserts for the main course.

By the way is the Dole Whip line shorter for a breakfast serving? We've always stopped in the afternoon and the line has been a longer wait than some of the rides.

Geemo

Now you know why someone came up with "DO as I say... NOT as I do...":rotfl2::rotfl2:

I'm right there with you though! I like it when I can have dessert before the main course. Or more desserts for the main course.

By the way is the Dole Whip line shorter for a breakfast serving? We've always stopped in the afternoon and the line has been a longer wait than some of the rides.

Geemo

:lmao: I agree! As for the Dole Whips, I don't think it opens until 10 or 11. When we went last month, we tried to go as soon as they opened to avoid the line and it wasn't open as early as the rest of the park. We ended up going back around 11:15ish I think and only had to wait behind 3-4 people.

I have no children. DH and / or I have had annual passes for 10+ years. Our last five vacations were all some form of Disney - World or - cruise.

I go to DLR 4-5 times a month just to play, relax, unwind, shop, eat, or have fun.

What would you like to know?

Disneyland isn't just for the kids,
Dreams

I like to get a beer and then go wait in a long line. I don't have kids so its always adult trip for me! So much fun.

DH and / or I have had annual passes for 10+ years.

I go to DLR 4-5 times a month just to play, relax, unwind, shop, eat, or have fun.

What would you like to know?

Disneyland isn't just for the kids,
Dreams

Almost same here, but I do have kids, but I don't always go with them, and it's usually about 3/month. I love doing everything or nothing--it's great going as an adult with a BF because you can do what you want--even experience everything from a kid's perspective because you're not so busy being the "mom" :thumbsup2

I love seeing the street performers, listening to the piano player at Coke Corner, Moments with Mr. Lincoln, last summer they had Voices of Liberty, which I saw every time I visited (different songs each time), all the shows, relaxing and people watching or making new friends. It's ALL good!

Enjoy a nice glass of wine on the patio by WCT in DCA. Also, take your time to notice and appreciate the little things that you might have overlooked on previous trips. How about taking your time to enjoy some relaxing shopping in the parks and in DtD?

I was going to say this exactly!!!

One of our favorite things to do was to unwind at the end of the night with a cocktail. These days, we prefer the Carthay Circle Lounge. The Hearthstone Lounge in GC can be nice, too, depending on how busy it is.

We also really like being able to follow our own schedule. Get up early to open the park, take a break mid-day for a relaxing dip in the hot tub or a nap, then go back into the park for some evening fun. (Perhaps after another cocktail!)

I would most definately go watch woc or fantasmic & enjoy that the kids aren't irritated that they have to wait for such a long time.

I often go on an adults-only trip to DLR. It's my favorite way to unwind and...believe it or not...get away from the kids, LOL!! The thing is, I spend the vast majority of my time taking care of others. At DLR, I get to be the kid.

Anyway, some of my favorite things are:

Wine & cheese tasting at the wine bar in DCA. They used to have chocolate and port tasting but they stopped. Boo hoo!!! It was 3 types of port paired with Ghirardelli chocolates. Anyway, you sign up and pay a fee and you get these pairings and explanations about the chosen wines and cheeses. We got a lot of extra samplings, too! It's a lot of fun! Our sommelier (is that the right word? Wine expert?) was lots of fun and told us to be sure and ride Tower of Terror right afterward and he was right--it was a whole different experience :rotfl2:

Napa Rose chef's counter. Amazing. We went fairly late, did the thing where they served wine with every course, and were the last ones out. We went and sat by the fire in the lobby and were joined by a very fun couple who were in their 70s. They'd been married forever and he was some famous person in the computer world. They bought a bottle of wine and we sat there having the best time, although we were kicked out at midnight because we were laughing too much so we went to the mirror image fireplace outside.

Do something fun and silly! Four of us (all women) bought tiaras and wore them our entire trip. It was great fun! We had booked the Fairytale Suite so we decided we were princesses and wanted to look the part.

Go have dessert at Napa Rose late at night. We sat by the fireplace and had so much fun--we each bought something different. Their desserts are amazing.

You could try the spa at GCH. I've never done it but I've wanted to have a facial. I plan to try it sometime.

Buy yourself something, like a personalized glass mug from the Crystal Shop, or have a silhouette or sketch of yourself done. Get that shirt or whatever that you really love but wouldn't buy with all the kids along.

There are tons of other things, but that's a start!

I often go on an adults-only trip to DLR. It's my favorite way to unwind and...believe it or not...get away from the kids, LOL!! The thing is, I spend the vast majority of my time taking care of others. At DLR, I get to be the kid.

Anyway, some of my favorite things are:

Wine & cheese tasting at the wine bar in DCA. They used to have chocolate and port tasting but they stopped. Boo hoo!!! It was 3 types of port paired with Ghirardelli chocolates. Anyway, you sign up and pay a fee and you get these pairings and explanations about the chosen wines and cheeses. We got a lot of extra samplings, too! It's a lot of fun! Our sommelier (is that the right word? Wine expert?) was lots of fun and told us to be sure and ride Tower of Terror right afterward and he was right--it was a whole different experience :rotfl2:

Napa Rose chef's counter. Amazing. We went fairly late, did the thing where they served wine with every course, and were the last ones out. We went and sat by the fire in the lobby and were joined by a very fun couple who were in their 70s. They'd been married forever and he was some famous person in the computer world. They bought a bottle of wine and we sat there having the best time, although we were kicked out at midnight because we were laughing too much so we went to the mirror image fireplace outside.

Do something fun and silly! Four of us (all women) bought tiaras and wore them our entire trip. It was great fun! We had booked the Fairytale Suite so we decided we were princesses and wanted to look the part.

Go have dessert at Napa Rose late at night. We sat by the fireplace and had so much fun--we each bought something different. Their desserts are amazing.

You could try the spa at GCH. I've never done it but I've wanted to have a facial. I plan to try it sometime.

Buy yourself something, like a personalized glass mug from the Crystal Shop, or have a silhouette or sketch of yourself done. Get that shirt or whatever that you really love but wouldn't buy with all the kids along.

There are tons of other things, but that's a start!

Thanks for all the responses! Dizme, I really loved your post -- it got me dreamily thinking of all the fun my friend and I are going to have on this trip. Maybe Napa Rose can be our splurgy thing to do. I think there will be a dapper day event at Carthay circle lounge, so we would hit that, for sure. Can't wait for drinks at trader sams.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter