Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
My upcoming trip has been so stressful to organise with the Aussie dollar falling and having to arrange details and bookings for four people instead of just me that I just haven't been able to get excited about it. Until now. There's something about Paradise Pier and Viva Navidad that I love and everyone's photos have been just what I needed!

While Pumpkin Pandemonium, Fall Fever, Candy Corn Chaos, Caramel Apple Confusion and Halloween Hoopla (with a dash of Pecan Pie and Cinnamon Pear thrown in) have been slowly, quietly sneaking onto store shelves since the end of June (!!!), September is a month when Holiday Hullabaloo, Peppermint Pandemonium, Eggnog Excitement and Gingerbread Glee begin to emerge as well.

While I don't know if these flavors can be classified as completely new, Coffee-mate has 'updated' some of its seasonal products. Instead of Eggnog Latte, now we just have "Eggnog." Instead of plain ol' Gingerbread, now we have "Toll House Gingerbread." Maybe they have given up trying to promote the Peppermint Mocha flavor as seasonal, when it's really available all year long. http://www.theimpulsivebuy.com/word...e-eggnog-and-toll-house-gingerbread-creamers/.

:santa::santa::santa:

My upcoming trip has been so stressful to organise with the Aussie dollar falling and having to arrange details and bookings for four people instead of just me that I just haven't been able to get excited about it. Until now. There's something about Paradise Pier and Viva Navidad that I love and everyone's photos have been just what I needed!

That can happen quite often, I think. At some point we can just hit a wall with the planning, and the thinking about planning, and the organization of the whole trip, and the solving of problems or jumping over hurdles that present themselves along the way, etc. Eventually the excitement just fizzles for a while. I have certainly had that happen. And then, all of a sudden, before you know it, the excitement takes over again.

I really want to see Celebrate...i think it is wonderful and would love to see it in person!!!

It's entirely possible it will continue to run for the rest of the year. It's definitely not quite the success that Paint the Night and Disneyland Forever are, so there is more of a chance that it could be swapped out for Winter Dreams or the regular World of Color. But, more than likely, Celebrate will continue on into next year.

While Pumpkin Pandemonium, Fall Fever, Candy Corn Chaos, Caramel Apple Confusion and Halloween Hoopla (with a dash of Pecan Pie and Cinnamon Pear thrown in) have been slowly, quietly sneaking onto store shelves since the end of June (!!!), September is a month when Holiday Hullabaloo, Peppermint Pandemonium, Eggnog Excitement and Gingerbread Glee begin to emerge as well.

I spotted a new pumpkin item a couple weeks ago - Pumpkin Spice Frosted Mini Wheats. I've only seen them at Target, but I like them a lot, and I'm already plotting how to keep stocked on them long past fall.

I spotted a new pumpkin item a couple weeks ago - Pumpkin Spice Frosted Mini Wheats. I've only seen them at Target, but I like them a lot, and I'm already plotting how to keep stocked on them long past fall.

I haven't seen the Mini Wheats in person yet, but I saw a photo of the Mini Wheats on The Impulsive Buy. In fact, they started a whole Flick'r album to keep track of the new Pumpkin-specific products that appeared this year - https://www.flickr.com/photos/theimpulsivebuy/albums/72157656471276389. The interesting thing is that, compared to last year, it appears that there are not as many new pumpkin items this year. Last year there were so many. This year I think that all of the "old" pumpkin products will be back on the shelves again, along with the new ones -- so there is no shortage of pumpkin-ness in stores -- but there are just not as many new pumpkin-specific items. Oreo did not even come up with a new Fall flavor this year! M&M's churned out two new ones -- Pumpkin Spice Latte and Pecan Pie -- but Oreo did not deliver.

However, there have been plenty of new Fall and Halloween items (such as Kellogg's Halloween-themed cereal boxes and Glade's new line of Autumn scents, including the curiously titled "Fall Antiquing"?? :confused:).

Oreo did not even come up with a new Fall flavor this year! M&M's churned out two new ones -- Pumpkin Spice Latte and Pecan Pie -- but Oreo did not deliver.

I've spotted the Caramel Apple Oreos but I haven't seen pumpkin ones yet. Have you seen the Pecan Pie M&Ms? I've seen the Pumpkin Spice Latte, but since I'm not a coffee drinker, I may have to pass on those.

I've spotted the Caramel Apple Oreos but I haven't seen pumpkin ones yet. Have you seen the Pecan Pie M&Ms? I've seen the Pumpkin Spice Latte, but since I'm not a coffee drinker, I may have to pass on those.

I haven't seen any of them in person yet -- only photos (and I've read reviews). Some things are Target exclusives and some things are Walmart exclusives. I have a CityTarget in my area -- which is pretty large, but does not have all of the same items that a regular Target has. I have not looked there yet. And Walmart is nowhere near my area at all. Oreo has a pumpkin spice flavor, but it may not be available everywhere. It could be exclusive to one store or another. M&M's had a regular pumpkin spice flavor in the past, but now they added on the "Latte" to make it new. Whenever I check stores like CVS, Ralphs or Vons, I never seem to see anything all that new and interesting. Nothing "exclusive."

Oreo has come up with new flavors all year long, but it seems they have finally run out of new ideas for Fall and Halloween this year. :lmao: I guess the well finally ran dry! I am wondering if they will come up with something for the holidays. They've pretty much run out of ideas there too, but maybe they will surprise us.

While I don't know if these flavors can be classified as completely new, Coffee-mate has 'updated' some of its seasonal products. Instead of Eggnog Latte, now we just have "Eggnog." Instead of plain ol' Gingerbread, now we have "Toll House Gingerbread." Maybe they have given up trying to promote the Peppermint Mocha flavor as seasonal, when it's really available all year long. http://www.theimpulsivebuy.com/word...e-eggnog-and-toll-house-gingerbread-creamers/.

That can happen quite often, I think. At some point we can just hit a wall with the planning, and the thinking about planning, and the organization of the whole trip, and the solving of problems or jumping over hurdles that present themselves along the way, etc. Eventually the excitement just fizzles for a while. I have certainly had that happen. And then, all of a sudden, before you know it, the excitement takes over again.

It's entirely possible it will continue to run for the rest of the year. It's definitely not quite the success that Paint the Night and Disneyland Forever are, so there is more of a chance that it could be swapped out for Winter Dreams or the regular World of Color. But, more than likely, Celebrate will continue on into next year.

I saw an advertisement for Caramel Apple Milky Way mini bars a few days ago. When I go shopping this week, I am definitely looking for them! That combination sounds so yummy to me.
I was able to get Pumpkin Bread with my breakfast order at Bob Evans in Ohio a couple of weeks ago. It was a lovely 70 degrees that day and it felt like Fall to me. It was so so nice that day and I hated coming back to AZ and 100+ degrees! I can't wait to go back in October, when the leaves will be changing which is just beautiful! I am so glad my son and his fiancee decided to get married in the Fall.

As much as I love the Fall goodies, the Winter goodies are my favorite. I love all things Peppermint and Gingerbread! I can't wait for those.

I saw an advertisement for Caramel Apple Milky Way mini bars a few days ago. When I go shopping this week, I am definitely looking for them! That combination sounds so yummy to me.
I was able to get Pumpkin Bread with my breakfast order at Bob Evans in Ohio a couple of weeks ago. It was a lovely 70 degrees that day and it felt like Fall to me. It was so so nice that day and I hated coming back to AZ and 100+ degrees! I can't wait to go back in October, when the leaves will be changing which is just beautiful! I am so glad my son and his fiancee decided to get married in the Fall.

As much as I love the Fall goodies, the Winter goodies are my favorite. I love all things Peppermint and Gingerbread! I can't wait for those.

They did pick a great time to get married!

You know, those Caramel Apple Milky Ways have been out for at least 2 previous Halloween seasons (and then this year too), and I have never tried them! I am pretty sure I would like them -- unlike some of the seasonal products that I don't want to commit to! -- but I have just never tried them. I notice that when it comes to Fall/Halloween foods, I tend to gravitate more towards the shapes and the aromas more than the actual flavors. In other words, if it is shaped like a pumpkin, ghost or mummy, or if it smells like an autumn breeze or a freshly baked pumpkin pie, I will probably love it. but I don't necessarily want to eat the pumpkin-flavored things and candy corn-flavored things, if that makes sense.

Now, as for the holiday season goodies, I love the aromas and the flavors. Peppermint Wonderland ice cream should be hitting the store shelves this month. I love the smell and taste of gingerbread. I love the smell and taste of sugar cookies (shaped like trees and stars).

It's interesting how there are so many different scents/aromas that are specifically associated with seasons and holidays, and as soon as I smell them I immediately get in that mode/mindset. Not just food, either -- if I smell a burning fireplace off in the distance, I think of fall and winter. If I smell jasmine or honeysuckle, I think of summer (because that's when I tend to smell them most often).

mom2rtk, I'm blown away by the sharpness of the detail in the nighttime Paradise Pier picture!
I meant to comment on this as well.......man oh man....I really wish I had gone full frame. I just got the 70d and it would have to meet with a terrible demise for me to be able to upgrade my camera. Anyone have any ideas? lol!

Thank you Siskaren! :) The Canon 6D does an amazing job in low light.
Did you at least rest this on a trashcan or something? What lens did you use? When I got the 24-105mm lens I developed tendonitis (tennis elbow) in my right arm......and that bugger still acts up at least once a week (and I've had 2 cortizone shots so far). :(

Oh, are these good? I saw them at Target a couple days ago and I was tempted to give them a try.

Those Milky Ways remind me of that recipe with cut up apples and Snicker's bars. I bet the Milky Way has a similar taste as that apple salad!

Here is the official announcement about the holidays - "Holidays at the Disneyland Resort Returns November 13 Through January 6, 2016" - Disney Parks Blog; posted on September 3rd, 2015 by Erin Glover, Social Media Director, Disneyland Resort - http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...t-returns-november-13-through-january-6-2016/.

Edited to add: These are the dates we were expecting, based on the dates mentioned on the Audition website.

When I saw the Parks Blog alert come through on my RSS feed, the first thing I thought (as I was going to copy the link to post it here) was, "Hmm... they actually made the announcement a bit earlier this time around! There's a shock!" :lmao: That's pretty much the only surprise we got today, but the announcement came exactly one week earlier than when we got it last year! We're making progress!

Halloween Time and Mickey's Halloween Party, on the other hand, were announced later this year than they were last year -- and seeing how sparse those offerings are turning out to be, I don't know what the delay was all about! :lmao:

ETA: This is the first time the season is beginning on a Friday in a while!

Last edited:
I meant to comment on this as well.......man oh man....I really wish I had gone full frame. I just got the 70d and it would have to meet with a terrible demise for me to be able to upgrade my camera. Anyone have any ideas? lol!

Did you at least rest this on a trashcan or something? What lens did you use? When I got the 24-105mm lens I developed tendonitis (tennis elbow) in my right arm......and that bugger still acts up at least once a week (and I've had 2 cortizone shots so far). :(

Thanks Kathy. I hear the 70D is no slouch. ;) Although I do have to say I have not looked back since moving to full frame last fall. I don't recommend any staged "accidents" though. If you do decide to go full frame one day, it's always nice to have a crop sensor as a backup when you need more reach. I pulled my T2i out over the weekend when I wanted a smaller body with more reach at Disney on Ice.

I took all my shots at WOC handheld with a 2.8 lens. Everyone kept telling me I didn't need a 2.8 lens with the high ISO capabilities of the 6D, but for low light handheld shots, that combo can't be beat. I also used that combo for the Christmas parade at night and loved it.

I also have the 24-105 lens and use that most of the time. It's lighter and has a little more reach than the 2.8 lens (Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC). I'm sorry about your tendonitis. That probably is a very real consideration when choosing a camera/lens combo. Although when the doctor okays you for physical therapy....... maybe carrying a 2.8 lens around the parks would help? :teeth:

They did pick a great time to get married!

You know, those Caramel Apple Milky Ways have been out for at least 2 previous Halloween seasons (and then this year too), and I have never tried them! I am pretty sure I would like them -- unlike some of the seasonal products that I don't want to commit to! -- but I have just never tried them. I notice that when it comes to Fall/Halloween foods, I tend to gravitate more towards the shapes and the aromas more than the actual flavors. In other words, if it is shaped like a pumpkin, ghost or mummy, or if it smells like an autumn breeze or a freshly baked pumpkin pie, I will probably love it. but I don't necessarily want to eat the pumpkin-flavored things and candy corn-flavored things, if that makes sense.

Now, as for the holiday season goodies, I love the aromas and the flavors. Peppermint Wonderland ice cream should be hitting the store shelves this month. I love the smell and taste of gingerbread. I love the smell and taste of sugar cookies (shaped like trees and stars).

It's interesting how there are so many different scents/aromas that are specifically associated with seasons and holidays, and as soon as I smell them I immediately get in that mode/mindset. Not just food, either -- if I smell a burning fireplace off in the distance, I think of fall and winter. If I smell jasmine or honeysuckle, I think of summer (because that's when I tend to smell them most often).

I had no idea those Milky Ways have been out in previous years! I certainly would have tried them! If I don't like them I will send them into work with my husband.

As much as I love Fall and Winter goodies, usually once I have it (like the Pumpkin Bread) I am done. I don't eat them the whole season through.

I am a bigger fan of seasonally scented candles. Pumpkin or Apple scented candles put me in the Fall mood. I love cinnamon scents at the Christmas season. I have a great Christmas cookie scented candle that I love too.

I had no idea those Milky Ways have been out in previous years! I certainly would have tried them! If I don't like them I will send them into work with my husband.

Yep, in fact, I just got rid of a bag that was past its best buy date. (I wish they had smaller bags available. I don't always finish them.)

Oh, are these good? I saw them at Target a couple days ago and I was tempted to give them a try.

Yeah, I thought they were very good. (Like I said, I'm plotting on how to keep a supply of them well past fall.) I actually spotted them in someone's cart at Target and went in search of them.

So... some interesting tidbits, just for reference....

1. The Holiday Season at Disneyland Resort has not officially begun on a Friday in FIVE years (and now this year too). The last time it happened was in 2010; and

2. The Holiday Season continues to not begin on Veterans Day, and has not begun on Veterans Day in 10 years (2005 was the last time). What's interesting is that, in 2016, Veterans Day will be on a Friday. Will Disney decide to start the holiday season on Veterans Day once again, just to keep it on a Friday, or will they do one of those weird Monday start dates, as they have done in the past?

Here is what we know for sure about the holiday season so far (in no specific order, but I am numbering them anyway):

1. Holiday season takes place from Friday, November 13, 2015 - Wednesday, January 6, 2016;

2. A Christmas Fantasy Parade is returning (most likely daytime only). Performers are set to begin work on 11/13, so I don't know if there will be a soft opening this year or not;

3. The Candlelight Ceremony & Processional takes place on Saturday, December 5th and Sunday, December 6th, 2015 (2 performances each night);

4. The Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon Weekend takes place Thursday, November 12 - Sunday, November 15, 2015; and

5. Haunted Mansion Holiday will be back, starting on Friday, September 11th.

Things we don't know with 100% certainty, but are very likely:

1. The return of It's a Small World Holiday;

2. Most likely, Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks will not run this year, and will be replaced by Disneyland Forever;

3. Most likely, Viva Navidad will return to DCA; and

4. Olaf's Snow Fest will likely return at some point during the season, but it is unknown if it will be in November or December.

Things that are uncertain:

1. The Jingle Jangle Jamboree;

2. Jingle Cruise;

3. Toontown or Toontown decorations;

4. Other themed decorations in the different lands;

5. Just how wintry will the Winter Castle be?; and

6. World of Color - Winter Dreams (or will it be Celebrate?).

And what about that long-rumored return of the Christmas star perched atop the Matterhorn's craggy peak?? :confused:

Last edited:
Yep, in fact, I just got rid of a bag that was past its best buy date. (I wish they had smaller bags available. I don't always finish them.)

Yeah, I thought they were very good. (Like I said, I'm plotting on how to keep a supply of them well past fall.) I actually spotted them in someone's cart at Target and went in search of them.
I thought you were going to say you spotted them in someone's cart and took them, lol!!!

Things we don't know with 100% certainty, but are very likely:

1. The return of It's a Small World Holiday;
2. Most likely, Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks will not run this year, and will be replaced by Disneyland Forever;
3. Most likely, Viva Navidad will return to DCA; and
4. Olaf's Snow Fest will likely return at some point during the season, but it is unknown if it will be in November or December.

It's one of the things I really like about DL over WDW....the holiday overlays!

OK, most of that photography talk went right over my head . . . but I got a new camera just before Christmas with a nice telephoto lens, and by March I was in severe elbow pain. Started physical therapy in May. It is improving but I am still in PT, slowly phasing out. I had joked about it being from the camera (it started acting up when we were on vacation), but this makes me wonder even more. I try to remember to hold it with my left arm more now. I have heard people talk about cross-body straps for their cameras, have you tried that? I'm wondering if that would work for me on our Disney trip in November. I have a Nikon D5300.

OK, most of that photography talk went right over my head . . . but I got a new camera just before Christmas with a nice telephoto lens, and by March I was in severe elbow pain. Started physical therapy in May. It is improving but I am still in PT, slowly phasing out. I had joked about it being from the camera (it started acting up when we were on vacation), but this makes me wonder even more. I try to remember to hold it with my left arm more now. I have heard people talk about cross-body straps for their cameras, have you tried that? I'm wondering if that would work for me on our Disney trip in November. I have a Nikon D5300.
I do have that strap. It's called a Black Rapid and helps immensely in taking the pressure off your neck when you walk around with your camera. It doesn't help with the pain in holding your camera for photos, though.....your idea of switching hands is a good one!

Do get that strap. It isn't cheap but I've gotten a lot of use out of mine.

I do have that strap. It's called a Black Rapid and helps immensely in taking the pressure off your neck when you walk around with your camera. It doesn't help with the pain in holding your camera for photos, though.....your idea of switching hands is a good one!

Do get that strap. It isn't cheap but I've gotten a lot of use out of mine.
Thanks, I will check it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter