Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that the holiday season technically ends on the 6th, but is it a slow process to remove everything (like with Halloween, the first day or two after, there are still decorations up)? I ask, because we are coming on the 7th!

Question about holiday tours/special events: when would they start? When might they be listed? The Holiday Tour is listed on the tours, but no dates are even available yet. When do those generally start--as soon as the holiday season starts?
Thanks for any guesstimates! :goodvibes

Anyone have a guess as to what might be going on Thursday, Nov 19th? That week started showing up on the calendar last week, and originally Tuesday and Wednesday were 10-8 in both parks. Then on Thursday those days changed to 9-10 in DL and 9-8 in DCA. However, oddly, Thursday is 8-8 in both parks and all the parades and show times are backed up earlier as well. I'm guessing that the Season of the Force opening is making them think it will be a more crowded week than the usual week before Thanksgiving, but that Thursday is the oddball of the whole week. I'm wondering if there could be some sort of special event going on, or ??? Any guesses?

Anyone have a guess as to what might be going on Thursday, Nov 19th? That week started showing up on the calendar last week, and originally Tuesday and Wednesday were 10-8 in both parks. Then on Thursday those days changed to 9-10 in DL and 9-8 in DCA. However, oddly, Thursday is 8-8 in both parks and all the parades and show times are backed up earlier as well. I'm guessing that the Season of the Force opening is making them think it will be a more crowded week than the usual week before Thanksgiving, but that Thursday is the oddball of the whole week. I'm wondering if there could be some sort of special event going on, or ??? Any guesses?

I noticed that too and wondered. I hope it sticks...I want an earlier PTN parade & fireworks in hopes that we can see them (10pm closing is too late for my early to bed / early to rise kiddos)

I noticed that too and wondered. I hope it sticks...I want an earlier PTN parade & fireworks in hopes that we can see them (10pm closing is too late for my early to bed / early to rise kiddos)
I was happy with the 10-8 schedule! ;) We have turned into the commando park family and by the time we leave the room at 8 a.m. for a 9 a.m. EMH/MM, it gets to be plenty long by 8 p.m. But this oddball day just has me wondering what it up . . . :confused3

New theme week starts later this morning, folks! We only have a few more themes to go and then we are all done!

:santa::santa:

When was it 67 last week, Sherry? Not that it matters now as it sure is not 67 today. Baskin Robbins there aren't so many, mostly in the Valley and spread out. There is one B&R near me (sort of) but I prefer (when I am out there) one in the Valley. I hope you do find and enjoy some Peppermint Ice Cream. Way too hot for cocoa and baking too (I have some cake mixes in my cabinet). I will share when I try candy corn.

3TinksAndAnEeyore, that is exciting and lol funny your neighborhood is coming to Disneyland. Hope all of you have a fantastic time :)

October 4th was the day it was 67 degrees for a while, and then it maxed out at only 71 degrees (maybe it was different in your area). That was it. Ever since then the temperatures have been climbing.

Seeing as how we will be heading to the DLR from 12/27-1/1, and it will be our first time there during that crazy week, I had some questions related to capacity closures.

1. I know DL will probably hit capacity at some point each day we are there. What time do we need to get into the park to pretty much assure we aren't shut out? What time would we need to be in on NYE, 10 am?

2. I know you aren't allowed in when it is at capacity even if you have dining reservations. What if you have a tour?

3. Does DCA ever reach capacity? Or are we pretty much safe to be able to hit that park whenever?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

I would try to get into Disneyland (which is the park most likely to hit capacity first) as early as possible in the morning and stay there. If you left or didn't arrive until after 11 a.m. or noon or so, if it is a day that reaches capacity, you might not be able to get back into until nighttime. Same thing for NYE -- don't arrive any later than 11 a.m. or noon, if you can help it, and then be prepared to hang out there all day, just in case, and don't leave -- or you might not get back in to ring in the New Year. If it rains, the parks will probably not reach capacity and you won't have to worry about it. But if the sun is shining, watch out!

10 a.m. will probably be okay for an arrival time.

Even if there is a tour, if the Fire Marshals have decided that Disneyland is at capacity, they probably won't let people in. Maybe there have been exceptions or resolutions to that problem, but when the park is at capacity it is at capacity, and it seems that it wouldn't matter to the Martials if someone had a tour. I could be wrong, but I think that's how it works. You would, of course, tell them that you paid for a tour and have to get in, but it might not help.

DCA has, on occasion, reached capacity -- but not anywhere near as often as DL has. This year, however, the crowds seem to be pretty significant in general, so never say never. DCA may hit capacity again this year. You'd probably be safe going over there at any time, but it could happen.

Today I woke up to misting rain and dense fog..and yet by Tuesday it's slated to be 90 again..just..whaaaat ? I admit I broke out my moto jacket , tights and boots today because the weather permitted LOL..I love fall and winter the most.

I've been counting every day and nearly hour to Thanksgiving and then the December trip. I've been fighting with medical issues going on two years and the end is near..but not as I had expected or hoped. I was too optimistic long term it seems and reality is setting in...hard. It's humbling for sure.

I appreciate all the photos they keep me going !

Astylla -- I'm so sorry that you've been struggling with health issues. I don't know what that all means, and what exactly you're going through, but I can tell that you take on your Disney trips with a lot of excitement and enthusiasm, wanting to create experiences that will be truly memorable, and I hope that they bring you some relief. :goodvibes

I know that the holiday season technically ends on the 6th, but is it a slow process to remove everything (like with Halloween, the first day or two after, there are still decorations up)? I ask, because we are coming on the 7th!

Yes, technically, the final day of the season will be 1/6/16, which means some of the entertainment will end after that date. Because the end of the season falls in the middle of the week, I tend to wonder if some of the décor may stay up a couple of extra days in the parks and then get removed on the weekend.

It's a Small World Holiday should stay open through the 4th weekend in January, if history repeats. You should still see whatever decorations there are in the immediate IASWH area.

Haunted Mansion Holiday has a chance of possibly staying open through Sunday, January 10th, and then closing on 1/11, but we shall see.

The hotels' décor should be coming down.

The Mardi Gras masks in New Orleans Square should stay up (they usually come down after the real Mardi Gras).

Not everything will be removed instantaneously. It will come down a bit at a time, so you will see some décor -- but I wouldn't expect full holiday entertainment or anything like that. I also tend to think that whatever rustic décor is in place at the Big Thunder Ranch will stay there through 1/10 and then come down when the Ranch and the Restaurant close forever.

Question about holiday tours/special events: when would they start? When might they be listed? The Holiday Tour is listed on the tours, but no dates are even available yet. When do those generally start--as soon as the holiday season starts?

The tour would start when the season starts. The booking window would, I suppose, be approximately 30 days out from the date you want, give or take a few days. So if you wanted a tour on 11/13, you could start checking around 10/13 and see what happens. As for any other special events, there could be a month's notice, or 2 weeks!

Last edited:

We arrived on the 15th Jan in 2013 (I know that is a whole other week after your dates) and everything was gone apart from Small World holiday - it was so funny as the train driver made a joke about it being the creepy house in your neighbourhood that doesn't take down it's decorations for ages :)

ETA - just saw that Sherry gave a lot of helpful info above too! :)

Im wondering this myself...definitely hoping for most of the Christmas decorations to be up during out trip..11/7-11/10. Does anyone remember in past years if many of the decorations are up the weekend before the holiday season officially starts?

When I was on the holiday tour page, I noticed that there is a calendar that seems to have been updated through November 23. First day of the holiday tour shows up on November 13. Click on the calendar date, and tour times do show up. You can't book the tour from the website, and I don't know if you can book it yet by phone either, but take a look at the tour page. It also shows the price as $80 which I thought was last year's price, and I would be surprised if Disney didn't raise the price, so maybe the page is still in the process of being updated.
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/events-tours/holiday-time-at-disneyland/

Im wondering this myself...definitely hoping for most of the Christmas decorations to be up during out trip..11/7-11/10. Does anyone remember in past years if many of the decorations are up the weekend before the holiday season officially starts?

Of course we remember (or I do, anyway)! That's what we do here all year long -- discuss all details of past and current seasons! ;)

Look on page 1 of this thread, in the Dates to Remember post, and you will see what went up last year, around which dates.

In short, most of the in-park decorations will be up.

The 3 hotels' decorations will not be up

As for actual entertainment/attractions, It's a Small World is soft opening on 11/6. Usually the Christmas Fantasy Parade would be soft opening then too. This year it doesn't look like that is happening with CFP, but we'll see if something changes.

Other things -- Jingle Cruise, Viva Navidad, World of Color-Winter Dreams, etc. -- should be up on 11/13. If they soft opened it probably would not be as early as the prior weekend, but you never know. It really just depends on how quickly they can get everything up and running.

You might see the early stages of Olaf's Frozen Ice ink going up in Downtown Disney, but it won't be open for business until 11/13, I would guess.

Haunted Mansion Holiday is already open.

It’s Monday -- and it’s time for the tenth week of the 5th Annual Theme Week Countdown to begin!!

……Only 32 Days Until the
Holiday Season Begins at the Disneyland Resort!!!!

With each new week will come a different Disneyland Resort holiday theme!

As I have previously mentioned in this Superthread, I’ll be showcasing a particular aspect of DLR's holiday festivities each week until early November. Including today’s theme, there are 4 more themes to explore over the next 4 weeks: Three main weekly themes every Monday from today, October 12, 2015, through October 26, 2015, and a final “Holiday Cornucopia/These Are a Few of My Favorite Things” theme on Monday, November 2, 2015 (there will be more details about what the “Cornucopia” can include when we get closer to that date!).

Last year I began the Countdown about 3 weeks earlier than I started it this year. I am ending it before the Holidays at DLR officially commence (which will be Friday, November 13th, 2015, although certain things will likely soft open or soft launch on the weekend before Veterans Day). Once November starts and the decorations in the parks appear little by little each day, our attention shifts to learning information about and seeing photos of what is new for the current season’s celebration. This year there are many questions revolving around what will or will not be back for the holidays with the current focus on the Diamond (60th) Anniversary of Disneyland, and all eyes will be on any news or reports coming in from the parks.

Theme Week Countdowns are a great way to keep the photos rolling in on a regular basis and build anticipation for November at the Disneyland Resort! They are also a way to display the different elements, nuances and details of the Holidays at DLR that may be totally new to some visitors…or previously unnoticed/undiscovered by others. Finally, this is an excellent way for our Theme Week Countdown participants to shine a light on their wonderful pictures and attract visitors to their Trip Reports, photo libraries, etc.

Last week, we explored the more whimsical side of Disneyland Resort’s holiday season, showcased in the contrasting styles of A Bug’s Land, Cars Land and Mickey’s Toontown. Prior to that journeyed down the mystical, musical alleys of New Orleans Square and enjoyed Christmas with a Mardi Gras twist. We also paid a visit to New Orleans Square’s most famous residence and met its temporary houseguest, Jack Skellington, as he attempted to put a bit of a “nightmarish” Halloween spin on the Yuletide season in Haunted Mansion Holiday. And we peeked in at the ‘other’ holiday season at Disneyland Resort, Halloween Time, which collides with the Holidays every year as pumpkins give way to Christmas trees. Earlier we caught a glimpse of the special holiday offerings at the three Hotels of the Disneyland Resort and in Downtown Disney. Prior to that we enjoyed the Yuletide season around the world as we sailed through It’s a Small World Holiday, strolled through Fantasyland and cruised through the jolliest of jungles on the Jingle Cruise. We have also stepped back in time to see how Christmas was celebrated on Buena Vista Street and in Hollywood Land in the 1920s through the 1940s, respectively. We have also explored: the seaside celebrations in Paradise Pier & Pacific Wharf; tempting Holiday Treats & Treasures (a.k.a. Food & Merchandise); different seasonal photo options with Holiday Characters, PhotoPass and Santa Claus; and beautiful Christmas Trees, Wreaths and Holiday Horticulture (Holiday Flowers and Plants) around Disneyland Resort.

So…what will be our tenth theme of 2015? It is a triple header Theme Week, so 3 themes in one!! Today, we grab our boots and hats and mosey on down to Frontierland to enjoy the season, cowboy-style, and we search for bears and other critters in both Disneyland and California Adventure…

In the Spotlight this Week......

FRONTIERLAND, CRITTER COUNTRY and GRIZZLY PEAK!!!

When you enter Frontierland, you are instantly transported to the Old West. From the horseshoe imprints in the cement to the craggy peaks of Big Thunder Mountain, to the faint strains of banjo music that are difficult to trace, the moment you step into this land evocative of whippoorwills and weeds, Sarsaparilla and saloons, you feel you have gone back to a rustier, dustier moment in time. Add in a little dash of the holidays, and you are in for a rollicking, rootin’ tootin’ celebration!!

In Frontierland, ambient Christmas music is infused with a special twang and it is not uncommon to hear countrified renditions of “Deck the Halls” or “Winter Wonderland” as you roam around.

Around the bend from the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad resides the Jingle Jangle Jamboree (formerly called Santa’s Reindeer Roundup). Filled with rustic wagons overflowing with stuffed animals and presents, an assortment of Christmas trees large and small, reindeer décor and homespun Christmas touches, the Jamboree was a gem and a true highlight of the holidays at Disneyland Resort!

In 2012, the lively Billy Hill & the Holiday Hillbillies began plucking out some foot-stompin’ Yuletide tunes at the Jingle Jangle Jamboree as part of their bluegrass holiday spectacular but, sadly, they left the Disney family after the holiday season of 2013-2014.

Santa Claus and several familiar Disney characters in seasonal attire could also be found at the Jingle Jangle Jamboree, and guests could decorate cookies or participate in festive crafts as they, perhaps, snacked on their candy cane cotton candy.

Sadly, unbeknownst to many of us at the time, 2014 was the last year for the Jingle Jangle Jamboree. Additionally, 2015 will be the final holiday season for the Big Thunder Ranch and the holiday decorations surrounding the area that used to be the Reindeer Roundup. A Star Wars-themed land is going to become part of Disneyland park within the next several years, and the entire Ranch area, including the Festival Arena (where the Jingle Jangle Jamboree was held), will become a part of Yesterland as construction commences.

Just a whisper away from Frontierland in Disneyland is the little woodsy hamlet of Critter Country, home to the endearing Winnie the Pooh and his friends, including Piglet, Tigger, Eeyore…and maybe a ‘Brer’ or two!

As you can imagine, the Critters celebrate the holidays in their own unique way, and things are ever so slightly topsy-turvy here and there, such as, for example, the Christmas tree located in the Pooh Corner gift shop. One version of the tree featured ornaments covered in ‘hunny’….but the pots from which that hunny was spilling were located below the ornaments, rather than above them. (Ponder that for a moment. What’s wrong with that picture?) It’s a detail that implies things are charmingly askew in the Hundred Acre Wood. Perhaps it was a rather blustery day when Pooh decorated his tree?

Folks who have been visiting Disneyland during the holiday season for years may remember that there used to be a sign/banner suspended above a pathway out of Critter Country that said “Merry Critters and Happy Pooh Year.” That banner mysteriously disappeared quite a while back, and has never been seen again (in fact, that would be a good photo entry into the “Holidays Gone By” theme week later in this Countdown).

During this upcoming holiday season, Santa Claus – newly displaced from the Jingle Jangle Jamboree – will be greeting guests in Critter Country, in the spot formerly used for Pooh’s photo spot.

Meanwhile, over in California Adventure, folks might be surprised to see a few Yuletide touches around Grizzly Peak. While this land is not an elaborately decorated area like some of the other lands we have seen in this Countdown – and many people probably overlook the few bits of merriment that are there – the wreaths and garland are very theme-appropriate, with oars and other ‘rafting’ embellishments.

The area of California Adventure that used to be known as Condor Flats received a makeover and a name change in early 2015, becoming the “Grizzly Peak Airfield.” While there were no holiday decorations in this section of the park when it carried an aviation theme, at this time it is a mystery as to whether it will receive any themed decor now that it is part of Grizzly Peak.

Frontierland

972702f9-6b44-4b7c-b0cf-2fd8f54098e5.jpg

IMG_0725.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

Jingle Jangle Jamboree…

IMG_8991.jpg

This cabin contained lots of reindeer knick-knacks, and was sometimes used for Santa’s photo spot (when he was not outside)…

IMG_8999.jpg

Rustic details…

IMG_9002.jpg

IMG_9004.jpg

IMG_9005.jpg

IMG_9011.jpg

IMG_9015.jpg

IMG_9016.jpg

IMG_9023.jpg

Rope Snowflakes!

IMG_9067.jpg

IMG_9074.jpg

IMG_9069.jpg

IMG_6285.jpg

IMG_6299.jpg

Inside the Golden Horseshoe…

IMG_1673.jpg

Critter Country

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

Teeny tiny decorations!

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

Grizzly Peak

IMG_3757.jpg

IMG_3759.jpg

IMG_6685.jpg

I may or may not post more photos during the week.

Please feel free to post your photos of Frontierland, Critter Country and Grizzly Peak all this week, through Sunday, October 18th, 2015, 11:59 p.m., P.S.T.

Then, stay tuned for our eleventh theme on Monday, October 19th!! We just have a few more themes coming up in the next several weeks, so get your photos ready!

A reminder – please follow my leads (in either the photos I post or in the text) as to what to post for the themes. Please stick to the designated themes and save any other photos that don’t fit for future theme weeks. Every possible Disneyland Resort holiday-related element will be covered in some theme or another, so nothing will be left out. However, since this is a game/contest – in which people are entering to win Disney gift cards based on their contributions – it’s important to not stray from the theme that is underway. Feel free to ask me if you are not sure if something counts or doesn’t count.

Love the CC pictures and Jamboree. I never did get to see that so will enjoy through pictures. Sherry, I was just thinking how HOT is was during the week a week ago 9first of October) didn't think of Sunday. It was a bit cooler. I go to church in the Valley (in the morning) and it warmer then it was closer to me. Yesterday was a bit cooler than it has been, every degree is helpful :)

Astylla, a hug to you from me, too. I am sorry to hear you are having health issues. If ever you'd like to share, PM me. I have a chronic condition that did keep me from DL for 6 years. I am so blessed to be able to enjoy now and pray you will just have a fantas-mic next trip yourself.

Keep Cool everyone. Editing this afternoon with candy corn ice cream news, lol. I did go to Baskin Robbins this afternoon and they said they will have candy corn ice cream next week. I was happy to learn it is a completely smooth flavor. I will definitely try some and report back.

ETA from earlier this morning: Minbabies, you posted just ahead of m after I had hit reply. I like your Pooh Corner picture. :)

Last edited:
Critter Country:
DSCF3862_zpsb39032f8.jpg

DSCF3854_zpsfa9b8ed4.jpg

Frontierland:
Jingle Jangle Jamboree
SAM_1101_zps0y7mxxwt.jpg

SAM_1154_zps5eo8z75r.jpg

SAM_1096_zpsr4mjv1pr.jpg

Not technically Frontierland but funny story behind this picture from the Jingle Jangle Jamboree. So I was trying to get pictures of the characters wandering around and most of them were ignoring anyone over 3 ft tall. To the point where Goofy sat down to colour and when he saw I was about to take a picture he actually turned the other way. So as a mature adult I took a strop and went fine I won't talk to any of the characters. I took some of the christmas colouring pictures and coloured. My Momma started going Minnie is coming, get the camera Minnie is coming. I was like don't care. Next thing Minnie did this and then spent ages taking pics and interacting:
SAM_1128_zpsxqjsusz0.jpg

Grizzy Peak:
SAM_0546_zps2b3c56e4.jpg

lori71... is this Lori/Kylie71? I just want to know who I am talking to, so I don't address you as a newbie if you have really been posting here for years! :lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter